HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

What was Michael Peca like in Juniors?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2011, 12:14 PM
  #1
Brain Hemorrhage
Registered User
 
Brain Hemorrhage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
What was Michael Peca like in Juniors?

I always wish I could go back and see what great defensive forwards like Michael Peca and Jere Lehtinen and Guy Carbonneau were like as 16-19 year olds...

Does anybody know if that is even possible? Or at least remembers these players?

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:21 PM
  #2
strife
Registered User
 
strife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Flushing, NY
Country: Armenia
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
I always wish I could go back and see what great defensive forwards like Michael Peca and Jere Lehtinen and Guy Carbonneau were like as 16-19 year olds...

Does anybody know if that is even possible? Or at least remembers these players?


it is possible, you just need crystals

strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:22 PM
  #3
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strife View Post


it is possible, you just need crystals
bravo!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:02 PM
  #4
NYIschremp44
Registered User
 
NYIschremp44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Try contacting the Sudbury Wolves or Ottawa 67's PR department. I got a couple of Schremp's junior games from the Ice Dogs by writing them an email back in 2004.

NYIschremp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:34 PM
  #5
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
I always wish I could go back and see what great defensive forwards like Michael Peca and Jere Lehtinen and Guy Carbonneau were like as 16-19 year olds...

Does anybody know if that is even possible? Or at least remembers these players?
they were all offensive dynamos (not sure about Lehtinen) but they were drafted because they could score. I think Peca had 50 goals one year in junior and Carbonneau's stats were incredible.

They learned to play defense in the NHL and embraced those roles throughout their careers, carved out that niche for themselves over time.

In most cases, it's the offensive stars in juniors that become role players in the NHL.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:43 PM
  #6
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,716
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
they were all offensive dynamos (not sure about Lehtinen) but they were drafted because they could score. I think Peca had 50 goals one year in junior and Carbonneau's stats were incredible.

They learned to play defense in the NHL and embraced those roles throughout their careers, carved out that niche for themselves over time.

In most cases, it's the offensive stars in juniors that become role players in the NHL.
Yeah, that's the one thing that stuck out to me about Peca, in particular. In junior, he was a big time scorer. I don't recall him being overly physical, at least nowhere near to what he became in the NHL. And while not a defensive liability, I also don't recall him being so dominating defensively in junior.

I think Peca's an example of a guy who was a great junior scorer who realized to be a regular at the next level, he had to rely on more than just his scoring touch. So he added a consistent physical element to his game, and dedicated himself to playing well defensively as well.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:31 PM
  #7
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I think Peca's an example of a guy who was a great junior scorer who realized to be a regular at the next level, he had to rely on more than just his scoring touch. So he added a consistent physical element to his game, and dedicated himself to playing well defensively as well.
Not that I think he will for sure but I hope Cizikas follows the Peca template

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:19 PM
  #8
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,532
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
they were all offensive dynamos (not sure about Lehtinen) but they were drafted because they could score. I think Peca had 50 goals one year in junior and Carbonneau's stats were incredible.

They learned to play defense in the NHL and embraced those roles throughout their careers, carved out that niche for themselves over time.

In most cases, it's the offensive stars in juniors that become role players in the NHL.
Carbonneau was an offensive dynamo leading into the draft, but the same can't really be said of Peca. Peca did put up 75 points in 66 games in his draft year, but that wasn't really all that high considering how high the scoring was in the OHL at the time. He was traded midway through the season, but for Sudbury 75 points would've made him him the 6th highest scoring forward on the team, and for Ottawa it would've placed him at 5th. Also, Peca won the Selke in the first season he played 70 games, so it's not like he just started learning how to play defensively once he got to the NHL.

At the time of the draft he probably was more known for his defense than his offense. After the draft, he did become a bit of an offensive dynamo, but was also well known for his hitting and defense. He got the Captain Crunch nickname when he captained the Canadian WJC team.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:29 AM
  #9
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 838
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Not that I think he will for sure but I hope Cizikas follows the Peca template
was thinking the exact same thing.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:29 PM
  #10
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 11,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Yeah, that's the one thing that stuck out to me about Peca, in particular. In junior, he was a big time scorer. I don't recall him being overly physical, at least nowhere near to what he became in the NHL. And while not a defensive liability, I also don't recall him being so dominating defensively in junior.

I think Peca's an example of a guy who was a great junior scorer who realized to be a regular at the next level, he had to rely on more than just his scoring touch. So he added a consistent physical element to his game, and dedicated himself to playing well defensively as well.
I'm a long-time Canuck fan and Peca was our top prospect in the mid-1990s so I can give a pretty good summary of his game at that time.

Yeah, he was an elite offensive player, but he was considered one of the best all-around players in the CHL at that time as well. Great on the PK, anchored Canada's checking line at the 1994 World Juniors. Was compared favourably to Kirk Muller at a time when Muller's stock was at an all-time high after captaining Montreal to the Cup in 1993.

And he arrived in the NHL at age 20 as already one of the most devastating bodycheckers in the league. Check youtube for the hits he threw on Teemu Selanne and Dallas Drake as a rookie in 1995.

He was definitely not a case of 'adding a defensive game once he got to the NHL'. That was one of his calling cards right from the start, and he won a Selke at age 23.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:24 PM
  #11
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,716
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
He was definitely not a case of 'adding a defensive game once he got to the NHL'. That was one of his calling cards right from the start, and he won a Selke at age 23.
You might be right. It's been a long time since he played junior, and back then watching games wasn't as easily accessible with internet and the OHL package that is now available. So my viewings of him were limited to whenever Ottawa came to Kingston to play.

However, in those games, he didn't play the same type of game he did in the NHL. He played a skilled game, with the occasional big hit. And he certainly wasn't used as a shutdown guy against Kingston. His role was to score goals for Ottawa.

As for the quoted part above, I didn't mean to imply he suddenly developed a defensive game once he got to the NHL, but rather he realized that that side of his game was what was going to keep him in the league, rather than just pure offense, and thus he started to concentrate more on that aspect when he transitioned between junior star scorer to the NHL.

In other words, in junior (for Ottawa, for Team Canada it's a different story given that it's an "all-star" team where skilled guys are asked to play a different role) he was a skilled guy who could add a physical and defensive element. When he went pro, it kind of reversed where his role was that of a defensive specialist/physical player, who also possessed a decent amount of skill.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.