HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Outdoor WJC Div-III game in Mexico City

Old
01-04-2011, 06:47 PM
kaiser matias

vCash: 500
Outdoor WJC Div-III game in Mexico City

This Sunday the Division III World Junior tournament starts in Mexico City. Participating teams include Bulgaria, Mexico, New Zealand, North Korea, Serbia, Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), and Turkey. Obviously no major hockey powers there, and an otherwise non-notable tournament.

Except the opening game Sunday night will be a first for a World Junior tournament, in any division. Mexico is playing Bulgaria on an outdoor rink; with free admisison, organisers expect up to 50,000 people to show up.

Of note is that the average temperature for Mexico City in January is 23°C (73°F) during the day and 9°C(48°F) at night. Some would argue that it is way to warm to have an outdoor game, and that ice probably wouldn't work there. However, the Plaza de la Constitución, also known as Zócalo, has had an ice rink built there several times, one that measures 240 by 240 metres (800x800 feet).

So the success of this game should make the NHL consider the possibility of a Winter Classic in a southern US market. After all if Mexico City can host one, Miami or Phoenix should be able to.

IIHF article about the event

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:49 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser matias View Post
This Sunday the Division III World Junior tournament starts in Mexico City. Participating teams include Bulgaria, Mexico, New Zealand, North Korea, Serbia, Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), and Turkey. Obviously no major hockey powers there, and an otherwise non-notable tournament.

Except the opening game Sunday night will be a first for a World Junior tournament, in any division. Mexico is playing Bulgaria on an outdoor rink; with free admisison, organisers expect up to 50,000 people to show up.

Of note is that the average temperature for Mexico City in January is 23°C (73°F) during the day and 9°C(48°F) at night. Some would argue that it is way to warm to have an outdoor game, and that ice probably wouldn't work there. However, the Plaza de la Constitución, also known as Zócalo, has had an ice rink built there several times, one that measures 240 by 240 metres (800x800 feet).

So the success of this game should make the NHL consider the possibility of a Winter Classic in a southern US market. After all if Mexico City can host one, Miami or Phoenix should be able to.

That's pretty awesome.

I wish we could play Mexico one game. I'd like to see how that would turn out. I'm serious - just to see where they are in terms of ability.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Made Dan

Really cool, but even if the ice could work, if it's 73 out there the players will be sweating their balls off.

Made Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:

IIRC, an outdoor rink was built in Vegas for an exhibition game one year. As long as you're not trying to play on a day where it's 110 degrees, or in a location where there's 90 degrees and 90% humidity at game time, it should work from a technical standpoint.

It's the ambience of playing outside in the cold and the snow that is the main appeal, though, I think.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:53 PM
dystemper

that's pretty awesome.

dystemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:00 PM
kaiser matias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
IIRC, an outdoor rink was built in Vegas for an exhibition game one year. As long as you're not trying to play on a day where it's 110 degrees, or in a location where there's 90 degrees and 90% humidity at game time, it should work from a technical standpoint.

It's the ambience of playing outside in the cold and the snow that is the main appeal, though, I think.
While that is true, Mexico City kind of lacks that so as the article says:

Quote:
Opening game played between Aztec pyramids, the Cathedral, and the National Palace.
Should still be good ambience.

Also going to be broadcast live in Mexico and throughout Latin America, including Argentina, Brazil and Chile.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:33 PM
alexthekidd

Despite the quality of the sides involved, it's interesting to note that New Zealand is carrying six '94 born players.

alexthekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Hollywood Burrows

holy balls

I want to see footage from this game.

I will eat my keyboard if 50,000 people show up.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Lard_Lad

Yeah, we definitely need video of this. The picture of the rink in the IIHF story looks pretty spectacular.

Bulgarians better be in good shape, though. What's the elevation there, something like 7000 feet?

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Shootmaster_44

With the garbage that Sportsnet 1 seems to carry these days (I mean 6 month old World Team Tennis games?) I would hope they would consider broadcasting this game. I'd love to see it.

Heck, if no sports channel will carry it, why not TeleLatino? I hope the IIHF realizes that this is generating some interest here. I'm assuming they'll stream it.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Intact

Quote:

Wait what?

Intact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intact View Post
Wait what?
You didn't know North Korea had national hockey teams?

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Intact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
You didn't know North Korea had national hockey teams?
I guess not than

Intact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
That's nice. It's just the way the Mexicans & Bulgarians learned to play hockey. On the fronzen ponds.

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
Better have LOTS of water on hand.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Evil Doctor
Cryin' Hank crying

I love going on the IIHF websites and looking at the results for the lowest level of competition and seeing teams from countries one would not think of as capable of playing hockey. There are some member countries whose total registered players doesn't go much beyond those playing for their 'national' team...

It's also interesting to look at some of their uniforms. Greece, Israel and Australia have some nice ones...

Evil Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
Better have LOTS of water on hand.
they will, when the ice melts

I'm not expecting 50 000 people to show up to this, but the fact that's it's free will help, hope it gets streamed

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
HFB Partner

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
holy balls

I want to see footage from this game.

I will eat my keyboard if 50,000 people show up.
Why? MC has such a huge population, 50,000 is nothing there.

01-05-2011, 03:50 AM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
Why? MC has such a huge population, 50,000 is nothing there.
let them support an NHL team then, we can send the Maple Leaf's or Flames there. Bettman would approve.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 04:05 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
HFB Partner

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
let them support an NHL team then, we can send the Maple Leaf's or Flames there. Bettman would approve.
Mama mia what has the NHL to do with 1 outdoor game?

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 06:32 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

If 50,000 people are willing to turn up to see Mexico vs Bulgaria then that is a huge kudos to them. North Korea will be interesting to watch.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 08:37 AM
dmacgreg37

Man, my sympathies are with the coaches and players if the North Koreans struggle after the World Cup.

dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:42 AM
MugenSilverSiR

That's awesome. I wish I could be there to be part of that festivities! It's amazing to see where hockey is nowadays.

The coolest game on earth!

MugenSilverSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgreg37 View Post
Man, my sympathies are with the coaches and players if the North Koreans struggle after the World Cup.
I'd love to watch a Canada vs. North Korea hockey game

01-05-2011, 12:02 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
That's pretty awesome.

I wish we could play Mexico one game. I'd like to see how that would turn out. I'm serious - just to see where they are in terms of ability.
http://www.ohahockey.org/news_articl..._id=12829-news

The LaSalle Vipers (a Jr. B team from around Windsor) took a trip to Mexico and played their under 20 team. LaSalle won the first game 9-2, the second game got canceled because of poor rink conditions.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote