HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What are the most protective hockey pants...

Old
04-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Rookie109

vCash: 500
What are the most protective hockey pants...

OK, I am looking for the most protective hockey pants on the market (clearance and discontinued models included). I want something that will give me maximum protection for blocking shots above all else.

I have read that the Easton Synergy EQ50 Hockey pants are very protective, I've even found them for clearance in my city.

What do you think? Has anyone used these or similar models with comparable protection? What in you opinion is the most well protected of all hockey pants?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. I just purchased a pair of Easton Synergy EQ50 elbow pads which were on sale/clearance That is why I am also looking at the EQ50 line for pants and shoulder as well. Although another clearance sale on the Bauer Pro Series for shoulder pads looks very tough also.

Thoughts?

Rookie109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

Can't you just google that stuff or check out on line suppliers. Ice Warehouse have some good product reviews on YouTube.

Usually with most things, hockey gear, cars, restaurants or anything, the best stuff costs more and the cheapest stuff delivers the least, at least in terms of quality, reliability or features.

One range I'm familiar with is the Nexus, 400, 600, 800 or 1000. The higher you go, the better the protection and most brands are similar.

It's choosing hockey gear, not equipping a military with fighter jets.

..though sticks and skates might be the exception.

Goonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Jive Time

I have the Tackla Air 9000s and the Bauer Nexus 1000.

I only wear my Bauer pants now. Both have really good padding but my Bauers are lighter and fit better. Honestly, the 800s are very similar but the 1000s are bullet proof. The Bauer 1000s also have really nice protection for the lower back.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

I have the 600's which are pretty good, along with 600 shins. But I got the 1000 elbows which are a great fit. Thinking about upgrading the pants and shins after wearing a big shot to the back of he leg which found a chink in the armour.

Goonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 05:38 AM
Gino 14

Buy goalie pants, they don't come anymore protective than that.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 09:45 AM
AussieFlyersFan

I have owned the eq50 pants for about 2 years and they are still going strong. The padding is pretty solid and i play defence so I've taken plenty of spills on the ice. The only thing i don't like about them is that they tend to ride up, so sometimes if you take a big spill the pad that should protect your butt will be a bit too high up the leg and miss the part of your butt that hits the ice (hopefully that makes sense). I fixed the problem with suspenders and just wearing the pants loose around the waist so they don't rise up. If you can get them on clearance, they are a good choice. I've also heard that Tackla's are built like tanks although never tried them

AussieFlyersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Rookie109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
Can't you just google that stuff or check out on line suppliers. Ice Warehouse have some good product reviews on YouTube.

Usually with most things, hockey gear, cars, restaurants or anything, the best stuff costs more and the cheapest stuff delivers the least, at least in terms of quality, reliability or features.

One range I'm familiar with is the Nexus, 400, 600, 800 or 1000. The higher you go, the better the protection and most brands are similar.

It's choosing hockey gear, not equipping a military with fighter jets.

..though sticks and skates might be the exception.
I want to ask real people that's why. I sometimes think that on sales websites that you might get some biased opinions or even company reps putting up false reviews. On a place like this, I'd imagine I'd get reviews and opinions from people who have used the equipment over a season or two.

Old
04-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Rookie109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Time View Post
I have the Tackla Air 9000s and the Bauer Nexus 1000.

I only wear my Bauer pants now. Both have really good padding but my Bauers are lighter and fit better. Honestly, the 800s are very similar but the 1000s are bullet proof. The Bauer 1000s also have really nice protection for the lower back.
I'll have to check out the Bauer line, especially the 800 and 1000 lineup.

Old
04-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Rookie109

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieFlyersFan View Post
I have owned the eq50 pants for about 2 years and they are still going strong. The padding is pretty solid and i play defence so I've taken plenty of spills on the ice. The only thing i don't like about them is that they tend to ride up, so sometimes if you take a big spill the pad that should protect your butt will be a bit too high up the leg and miss the part of your butt that hits the ice (hopefully that makes sense). I fixed the problem with suspenders and just wearing the pants loose around the waist so they don't rise up. If you can get them on clearance, they are a good choice. I've also heard that Tackla's are built like tanks although never tried them
Thanks bud, if I purchase them I'll have to wear suspenders heh. I'll check the Tackla pants as well.