HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McDonagh

Old
01-19-2011, 10:25 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
McDonagh

Let's give this kid some credit huh guys?

Been a defensive ****in stalwart. Had a rocky first game and has turned on the jet engines since then. 7 games +7. +3 tonight.

I'm not positive about many things but this guy has been a real pleasant surprise--I only hope Torts plays him more minutes like tonight, and that he can keep up the pace.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Yeah, he's only been getting ~11 minutes a night, but he has been good. If he can be giving us 16 solid minutes per night by the end of the season, that would be very big for this team.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:30 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

You just wait until he gets comfortable and starts using his skating to push/join the rush! I live in WI & watched him a ton, kid can skate & has some offensive ability.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:33 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah, he's only been getting ~11 minutes a night, but he has been good. If he can be giving us 16 solid minutes per night by the end of the season, that would be very big for this team.
IMO, the minutes serve as only a sample size as what he can do. Sometimes Torts' decisions are quite frustrating, and I understand he's "weening" him, but the kid can definitely handle a bit more minutes.

Nevertheless, I've watched him make subtle play after subtle play in the defensive and neutral zones that turn into key plays when you look at the end of the game. He looks like Staal out there, and reminds me of Staal's first few games where the confidence level was nearly through the roof from the very beginning. A great sign.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Hes gonna have to start to take on some more minutes, he is not gonna have Girardi and Staal taking on 30+ minutes for the rest of the night.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Torts will ease him in properly, I like how he's managed the rookies' minutes thus far. McD has been absolutely great.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:00 PM
NYR Viper

Considering the way Stepan, Anisimov, MZA, Sauer, Gilroy and all of the countless other rookies have been developed by Torts at the NHL level, I will side with him on the way he is easing him into the line-up.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:04 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

I was at the game tonight and was blown away by the play of McDonagh. He was excellent in just about every shift.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:04 PM
asparkoflife

Solid as a rock.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:07 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
He can turn into a better skating version Dan Girardi in a few years. The kid is real good.

01-19-2011, 11:39 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
IMO, the minutes serve as only a sample size as what he can do. Sometimes Torts' decisions are quite frustrating, and I understand he's "weening" him, but the kid can definitely handle a bit more minutes.

Nevertheless, I've watched him make subtle play after subtle play in the defensive and neutral zones that turn into key plays when you look at the end of the game. He looks like Staal out there, and reminds me of Staal's first few games where the confidence level was nearly through the roof from the very beginning. A great sign.
yeah. I assume he just doesn't want to make the same mistakes with MDZ even though they are different players. I for one don't mind the low minutes. Consistency comes first in my book for rookies.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:47 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

He made a very nice poke check on Phil Kessel coming down on him 1 on 1, which at the time I thought wasn't going to be a good situation. He looked awesome tonight, and being at the the game, I was able to see the small things he did to position himself well as a player is coming down on him.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Thumpz

He's come through huge. The future is definitely bright for this kid.

Thumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:19 AM
DrZoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpz View Post
He's come through huge. The future is definitely bright for this kid.
Not only him, but the entire Rangers' organization

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:56 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
Not only him, but the entire Rangers' organization
The Rangers are in God Mode as far as pumping out talent from the minors. Look at this team as a whole, and count how many players the Rangers drafted and developed) over the past few years.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:23 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
The Rangers are in God Mode as far as pumping out talent from the minors. Look at this team as a whole, and count how many players the Rangers drafted and developed) over the past few years.
In all seriousness, brings tears to the eyes.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 07:36 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Two things I love about McDonagh:

1. Strength / Balance on his skates. He just doesn't get knocked down; plays physical and stands people up. Watching him throw an arm into the chest of an oncoming player as they're bearing down on him is great to see.

2. Tenacity. McD just doesn't give up on a play - we've seen him make several passes now with his feet after tying up the man. He's a strong skater which allows him to both recover from mistakes and continually pressure the opposition.

That said, I think he still has a bit to work on (shocking for a 22 y/o, I know ), most notably poise with the puck in terms of being patient to make the best play. He is already making the smart play, which is great to see, but as his confidence develops further I have no doubts he will improve in this regard.

The future is bright.

01-20-2011, 07:50 AM
eco's bones

He's been solid. He and Sauer remind me a lot of each other though McDonagh's a couple years younger and has the higher upside. Very pleased with both though. We're a lot more physical on the blueline now. What a difference a year can make. Eminger's the old guy and he's only 27.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Thumpz

As unrealistic as it sounds, our Blueline is still fantastic all things considered. McD is a huge part of that. I mean really, a Rookie D thrown into the mix midway through the season is +7 in 7 games, and we have definitely not been playing our best hockey this month by any means, that says a lot about how confident he's gotten in his position, and it will only get better.

Screw getting a veteran D at the deadline, Resign Eminger and Sauer, and bring MDZ up next season and roll 7 D, with MDZ playing the point on the PP. I just love the way these young guys are playing and making believers out of everyone.

Thumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Orr Nightmare

Were are all the guys crying for Rozy...this kid is already playing better than Rozy...I said it would take 3 months...I was wrong...he is already better.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:05 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

It's only a few games but where's Leslie at who wasn't all that high on him? lol

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusted View Post
Solid as a rock.
Gotta love it. First Sauer now McDonaugh looking like keepers! Let's hope DZ comes back and matures on the farm

Staal, Girardi
Del Zotto, Sauer
McDonaugh

those top 5 are locks for me next yr

maybe they sneak Valentenko into the rotation to start next yr? Gilroy is 50/50 with me. He makes too much money and will be 27 so if the move him at the deadline for a vet rental that can play the PP I am cool with it

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
It's only a few games but where's Leslie at who wasn't all that high on him? lol
To be fair I think she was evaluating him at the various camps, where he wasn't exactly playing fantastic. Not that he was bad, but he wasn't quite wowing people either.

As for him getting more minutes...well, it's not really about the number of minutes as much as it is about protecting him from having to face the other teams superstars.

Easing him in is fine and the right thing to do. He'll be getting 16 minutes or more per night by the end of the season at this rate.

He did get 21 minutes last night, more than anyone else other than Emminger

Of course that's because Torts sat Staal and Girardi to protect them, but he handled the extra minutes well.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:30 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Two things I love about McDonagh:

1. Strength / Balance on his skates. He just doesn't get knocked down; plays physical and stands people up. Watching him throw an arm into the chest of an oncoming player as they're bearing down on him is great to see.

2. Tenacity. McD just doesn't give up on a play - we've seen him make several passes now with his feet after tying up the man. He's a strong skater which allows him to both recover from mistakes and continually pressure the opposition.

That said, I think he still has a bit to work on (shocking for a 22 y/o, I know ), most notably poise with the puck in terms of being patient to make the best play. He is already making the smart play, which is great to see, but as his confidence develops further I have no doubts he will improve in this regard.

The future is bright.
Excellent post. His Achilles heel right now is definitely moving the puck and deciding what to do with it, but in his own zone, he's been more than adequate. As strong positionally (at this point in his development) as anyone could have hoped for.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Levitate

He does often still make good plays moving the puck in his own end, but yeah sometimes I worry he's taking too long or whatever. You can see he has the ability to move the puck well, just needs to settle in

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote