HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McDonagh

Old
01-21-2011, 10:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
If all the kids go into a sophomore slump, we pick top 5 and give them an elite center to play with.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If all the kids go into a sophomore slump, we pick top 5 and give them an elite center to play with.
I like your thinking!

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:38 AM
dynamoovechkin

Real pleased with what I have seen from McD so far, he doesn't look out of place at all, in fact he looks like an everyday third pairing NHL D man.

I was a little surprised that he stuck with the big club for so long, but apparently coaches liked what they saw, and Rozi became expendable because of it.

I remember reading that he had strong Offensive instincts- haven't seen any of that yet, but I agree with that poster who said he is kind of like Eminger with a bigger upside.

Thrilled to have him on the team! Kid's a keeper!

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well, that's what Del Zotto is. And he has shown enough that I think it'd be absolutely ridiculous to give up on him already. He'll be back and he'll fill that role

He got 4 points in the last 3 games in Hartford. He's clearly too good for the AHL. I think once he re-gains confidence, the kid will be alright.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What happens with Valentenko? He will be a group II this summer and he indicated his KHL days were over but can the Rangers trust what he said? Should they trust what he says? His agent Rolland Hedges is an idiot. Nikolai Zherdev's former agent. Zherdev dumped Hedges for Jay Grossman after the arbitration debacle. Trade Valentenko by the trading deadline?

I think the Rangers need to deal Gilroy. Not because there's anything wrong with him. He's just the one who can bring back the most. Then let more kids into the line up.

P.S. Gilroy is older than average age on our defense.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Patriks7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Or they will all be traded for aging vets in a desperate attempt to make the playoffs

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:12 AM
RangerBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
He got 4 points in the last 3 games in Hartford. He's clearly too good for the AHL. I think once he re-gains confidence, the kid will be alright.
Del Zottos skill has never come into question. I believe it is more of a maturity issue.
Unless injuries completely slam this team he will remain at the Wale for the remainder of the season.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:29 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I think the Rangers need to deal Gilroy. Not because there's anything wrong with him. He's just the one who can bring back the most. Then let more kids into the line up.

P.S. Gilroy is older than average age on our defense.
I agree, but not only because he can bring back the most (I mean how much is he really worth?)...rather he appears to be the guy most likely to be standing without a chair when the music stops.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:36 AM
JerseyRangers

McD had a very solid game last night. Gotta love him stepping up a couple of times to make the big hit. Been a long time since we had a defensmen that could do that even once a game, let alone twice on the same shift. He may not develop into a top pairing d-man but with his combination of size, skating ability and smarts he has the potential to be a very solid #3 d-man in this league.

This d has really got me psyched. Between Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McD, Eminger and Gilroy we've got a very young solid group on the blueline. Hopefully MDZ can work his way back to playing like last season and your starting to have surplus of solid d-men.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:19 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Let's give this kid some credit huh guys?

Been a defensive ****in stalwart. Had a rocky first game and has turned on the jet engines since then. 7 games +7. +3 tonight.

I'm not positive about many things but this guy has been a real pleasant surprise--I only hope Torts plays him more minutes like tonight, and that he can keep up the pace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Two things I love about McDonagh:

1. Strength / Balance on his skates. He just doesn't get knocked down; plays physical and stands people up. Watching him throw an arm into the chest of an oncoming player as they're bearing down on him is great to see.

2. Tenacity. McD just doesn't give up on a play - we've seen him make several passes now with his feet after tying up the man. He's a strong skater which allows him to both recover from mistakes and continually pressure the opposition.

That said, I think he still has a bit to work on (shocking for a 22 y/o, I know ), most notably poise with the puck in terms of being patient to make the best play. He is already making the smart play, which is great to see, but as his confidence develops further I have no doubts he will improve in this regard.

The future is bright.
2 good posts worth quoting.

I find it very interesting the Rangers traded Rosy after his call up. OK, it's been known for quite some time they were looking to dump some contracts, to create some cap space,.... but with Wolski, we only saved 1.8 mil. Wolski carries a 3 mil plus this year! And Rosy was playing lights out and actually showcasing his talent this season. Plus with 2 sophmore D-men (MDZ, Gilroy) and a rookie in Sauer, the Rangers can ill afford to part with a solid veteran playing well. So why the trade? Why now? In part,.. because it's very difficult to dump a salary as big as Rosy's, so if you find a taker, I guess you gotta pull the cord. But to make this plausible, Slats had to have some kind of insurance our backline would be alright without Rosy. It's of my opinion Slats and the Rangers brass knew they would have an able replacment in McD. There is no other way this trade would have went through.

McD played 20 minutes tonight vs the Caps.

Doubt if he will ever get sent down like Gilroy or MDZ. He just looks like a vet out there. Like he's been playing for years. He's a natural.

I could see him playing with Staal as our shutdown pair of the future. Not to take anything away from Girardi or Sauer. He's just that good. But he is a valuable lefty like Staal, so that likely won't happen,... which only makes us deeper on D. The future looks extremely strong for our blueline.

Last edited by ohbaby: 01-24-2011 at 11:26 PM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:21 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post

I find it very interesting the Rangers traded Rosy after his call up. OK, it's been known for quite some time they were looking to dump some contracts, to create some cap space,.... but with Wolski, we only saved 1.8 mil. Wolski carries a 3 mil plus this year! And Rosy was playing lights out and actually showcasing his talent this season. Plus with 2 sophmore D-men (MDZ, Gilroy) and a rookie in Sauer, the Rangers can ill afford to part with a solid veteran playing well. So why the trade? Why now? In part,.. because it's very difficult to dump a salary as big as Rosy's, so if you find a taker, I guess you gotta pull the cord. But to make this plausible, Slats had to have some kind of insurance our backline would be alright without Rosy. It's of my opinion Slats and the Rangers brass knew they would have an able replacment in McD. There is no other way this trade would have went through.

Doubt if he will ever get sent down like Gilroy or MDZ. He just looks like a vet out there. Like he's been playing for years. He's a natural.

I could see him playing with Staal as our shutdown pair of the future. Not to take anything away from Girardi or Sauer. He's just that good. But he is a valuable lefty like Staal, so that won't happen,... which only makes us deeper on D. The future looks extremely strong for our blueline.
1.2 mil

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:24 PM
ohbaby

even more noteworthy.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:24 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Micky D was fantastic against the Caps. Subtle little plays, in control.

Awesome, awesome skating. He is going to be around for a while imo. Very solid and getting better each game. The Rangers really have a plethora of good young talent. Hes just another that really stood out last night IMO.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Hes been so impressive. Great skater, great offensive and defensive instincts. His poise in tonights game was really good. Love this kid.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:27 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Gotta say, McDonagh is growing on me the more I watch his game. He's been very impressive for a 21 year old midseason callup, especially having to replace a well-respected(by the coach and management at least)veteran player in Michal Rozsival. Just shows the type of confidence and maturity he has, being thrown into the media fire of New York and playing so well.

He had a really good game tonight. His game just oozed pure intelligence out there. He made a hell of a play on Matt Hendricks behind our net in overtime with a well timed poke check. It was one of those subtle plays that most veteran shutdown guys make. He did look a little shaky at times tonight, though, but that's expected. Once he puts on some more muscle, this kid is going to a nightmare for the opposition's forwards.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:20 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

He was excellent tonight, no doubt about it. A couple of times in his own zone, he was under heavy pressure carrying the puck, and unlike in some of the earlier games, he showed patience and poise and didn't make a bad pass or a bad turnover. Nice to see him making quick improvements as his confidence grows.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 06:36 AM
brfeldman

and that huge hit at center

brfeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post

I could see him playing with Staal as our shutdown pair of the future. Not to take anything away from Girardi or Sauer. He's just that good. But he is a valuable lefty like Staal, so that likely won't happen,... which only makes us deeper on D. The future looks extremely strong for our blueline.
Lights out...I think you need to turn on lights in your head if you think Rozy was playing lights out....I can't we still have to discuss that pig.

The Rangers are so much better since he was traded.

I said it would take 3 months for McD to better than Rozy...I was so wrong..it took him 5 games....and all the little Rozy lovers were laughing at my assessment...who is laughing now.

Plus, Wojo has been big for us.

Please put Rozy to bed...that dark era of Rangers hockey is over with!

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:26 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I loved this kid coming out of the 2007 draft. Thank you, again, Bob Gainey. Not only did you take one of my most hated Ranger players off our hands, but, you gave us back one of my favorite prospects, on his way to becoming a very good player.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:38 AM
MSG the place to be*

I'm nitpicking here as I have loved this kid since we traded for him...But there were like 3 or 4 times last night where he initiated the play from behind our net and he would just skate slowly out and then fire the puck through everybody and it would either be icing or the icing was called off because it went through a Caps player. Maybe we should be protecting him by having his partner (especially if its Gilroy) be responsible for the breakout.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Once he puts on some more muscle, this kid is going to a nightmare for the opposition's forwards.
Why does he need to put on more muscle? He's not being outmuscled at all and the dude is known for being crazy strong and having a NHL caliber body while he was still at Wisconsin.

I don't think that's what he needs at all.

edit: Article from when he was in college last year:

http://host.madison.com/sports/colum...e88379f84.html

Quote:
McDonagh has few collegiate peers when it comes to physical tools. He’s 6-foot-1 and 216 pounds. He can bench press upwards of 300 pounds. He has a 33-inch vertical jump, well above the norm for his sport. He also has less than 10 percent body fat and a skating stride that resembles a high-end muscle car.

“McDonagh’s a freak, a machine,” UW senior center and assistant captain Blake Geoffrion said. “He’s probably in better condition physically than probably half the NHL, I’d say.”

But does McDonagh really know his own strength?

“Nope,” UW assistant coach Mark Osiecki said quickly, smiling. “He’s like Bam-Bam in the ‘Flintstones.’ I honestly don’t think he does.”

Good case in point: In the season opener against Colorado College on Oct. 16, McDonagh checked winger Mike Testwuide, listed at 6-3 and 220, with such explosive, legal force that Testwuide went aloft like a kite in a gale and slammed into the boards, suffering a concussion.

Last edited by Levitate: 01-25-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
I'm nitpicking here as I have loved this kid since we traded for him...But there were like 3 or 4 times last night where he initiated the play from behind our net and he would just skate slowly out and then fire the puck through everybody and it would either be icing or the icing was called off because it went through a Caps player. Maybe we should be protecting him by having his partner (especially if its Gilroy) be responsible for the breakout.
You are nitpicking because there was 35 other times where he made a solid outlet pass many under heavy pressure. He moves the puck really well and is probably still internalizing the breakout plays. Time will clear that up as all the skills are there; great stick, great skating ability and good size. We got ourselves a stud.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:50 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Why does he need to put on more muscle? He's not being outmuscled at all and the dude is known for being crazy strong and having a NHL caliber body while he was still at Wisconsin.

I don't think that's what he needs at all.
I'm not saying it's a necessity, I'm saying that if, and probably when, he does he'll be scary.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:51 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

I was hoping he would be more physical with some sort of mean streak..
Other than that,I love the kid.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I'm not saying it's a necessity, I'm saying that if, and probably when, he does he'll be scary.
I just get really really wary about "putting on more muscle!" when a guy doesn't obviously need it (and by that I mean, if McDonagh weighed 180 instead of 215 then I'd say he needs to put on more muscle)

Putting on more muscle for a player like McDonagh can easily mean "getting slower and less mobile".

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote