HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

McDonagh

Old
01-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Gotta say, McDonagh is growing on me the more I watch his game. He's been very impressive for a 21 year old midseason callup, especially having to replace a well-respected(by the coach and management at least)veteran player in Michal Rozsival. Just shows the type of confidence and maturity he has, being thrown into the media fire of New York and playing so well.He had a really good game tonight. His game just oozed pure intelligence out there. He made a hell of a play on Matt Hendricks behind our net in overtime with a well timed poke check. It was one of those subtle plays that most veteran shutdown guys make. He did look a little shaky at times tonight, though, but that's expected. Once he puts on some more muscle, this kid is going to a nightmare for the opposition's forwards.
This is one of the things I like the most about him. I know it's very early yet, but the confidence that he shows on the ice makes you forget he is just a kid. It's like when he touches the puck you have confidence in him that he is going to get the job done. And if he doesn't, and he makes a mistake it's good to see that at least he as a young player will learn from it. I feel the same way about Sauer too.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:59 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I just get really really wary about "putting on more muscle!" when a guy doesn't obviously need it (and by that I mean, if McDonagh weighed 180 instead of 215 then I'd say he needs to put on more muscle)

Putting on more muscle for a player like McDonagh can easily mean "getting slower and less mobile".
Well, yeah, when you put it that way...

Either way, once he's in his prime, he's going to be very good.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Levitate

Yeah and it's always possible that under a pro workout regime, he strengthens more important parts of his body and gets "stronger" that way, I just don't want him to lose the mobility that he's displayed so far.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:11 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Yeah and it's always possible that under a pro workout regime, he strengthens more important parts of his body and gets "stronger" that way, I just don't want him to lose the mobility that he's displayed so far.
Yeah, that's what I kinda meant. I didn't really know how to put it.

BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:16 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

We've been talking for years about our depth at D and the bright future we may have in that department, and I must say that's a real pleasure and exciting to see it becoming true right now.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:22 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
There is a bit, but not a whole lot of room for him to get stronger in with out losing his mobility. I've seen him enough w/o pads on (no homo) and i've seen enough of his play. Physically he's already a man, maybe he continues to get stronger for another year or two but I can't see him getting much stronger without becoming something so physically powerful that he draws a penalty every time he tries to make contact with anyone. The guy was far and away the strongest player in the NCAA, and posted amazing numbers in the combine many years ago.

I agree there is room for growth but I'm really not sure there is a whole lot. At this point I think it's just refining his 2 way game and slowly taking the leash off and seeing how he does.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Levitate

Yup, definitely agree.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 11:16 AM
John Torturella

Its awesome to watch such a young player come up here and just be rock solid. The last 2 games he has played over 20 minutes and has played maybe even better. He could develop into a top pairing defenseman in a couple seasons. Its scary to think that how good our top 2 defensemen could be over the next 10 years. This could take a ton of pressure off Del Zotto when it comes to defensive play.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 11:26 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Its awesome to watch such a young player come up here and just be rock solid. The last 2 games he has played over 20 minutes and has played maybe even better. He could develop into a top pairing defenseman in a couple seasons. Its scary to think that how good our top 2 defensemen could be over the next 10 years. This could take a ton of pressure off Del Zotto when it comes to defensive play.
Agree completely. With Staal and McDonagh, Del Zotto should only need to be able to handle third pairing even strength ice time. This will allow him to focus on his PP performance. I envision the LD ice time being distributed something like:

Staal - ~25m (1st pair, 1st PK unit, potentially second pairing PP)
McDonagh - ~20m (2nd pair, 2nd PK unit)
Del Zotto - ~15m (3rd pair, 1st PP unit)

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Good. Cause I don't think "Del Z" (as Torts calls him) will ever be great defensively.
Pair him with a stay at home guy and he should be fine.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote