Notices

Thrashers draft preview

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Holly Gunning

vCash: 500
Thrashers draft preview

A lot of this is ideas expounded upon from the interview with DW, but it should help folks who are less familiar with the system.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Old
06-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Voynich

Good stuff Holly! I like your pick at the bottom as well. Have you seen Wolski play any this year and do you have any thoughts on him? What are your thoughts on some of the other offensively-skilled forward prospects that may be available around the #10 pick?

Off topic, but I didn't think it needed it's own thread, are there any updates about some of our European prospects in the works? Did I miss any recent ones? I'm mainly looking for a summary on Enstrom and the Russian contingent (Nikulin and Loginov would be great since it is so difficult to track stuff down on them).

Thanks for the hard work Holly, you've had some amazing reports lately!

Old
06-14-2004, 02:40 AM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Holy hell that (and the interview in particular) was one of the most interesting reads I've had in a long time!! Nice work

Old
06-14-2004, 08:05 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voynich
I like your pick at the bottom as well. Have you seen Wolski play any this year and do you have any thoughts on him?
Didn't see him, no. I just picked whoever was best offensively that was left, would fit in with the organization, and wasn't someone that I knew they didn't like. I think offense is the way to go at the top with this pick, personally. So that's what I picked. A center would be better though of course.

Quote:
are there any updates about some of our European prospects in the works? Did I miss any recent ones? I'm mainly looking for a summary on Enstrom and the Russian contingent (Nikulin and Loginov would be great since it is so difficult to track stuff down on them).
It is hard to get information. Fortunately the Thrashers head European scout, Bernd Freimueller, is very open to answering questions about how they are doing. I chat him up often, whenever I see him. He's agreed to do a Q&A at the draft, after the picks, so I can ask him about the 2004 guys too.

Old
06-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Voynich

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
Fortunately the Thrashers head European scout, Bernd Freimueller, is very open to answering questions about how they are doing. I chat him up often, whenever I see him. He's agreed to do a Q&A at the draft, after the picks, so I can ask him about the 2004 guys too.
You're the best!

Old
06-15-2004, 01:12 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voynich
What are your thoughts on some of the other offensively-skilled forward prospects that may be available around the #10 pick?
I don't study up very hard on all the potentials, to be honest. I have enough on my plate as it is.

But there are a couple guys I've seen play that I like for later in the draft. Matt McIlvane, power forward type out of the USHL. Very underrated by CSB (what a surprise!)

Now that I think about it, there are more people I've seen that I didn't like than I liked. Based on my small window, and I guess other people are saying this too, I don't think this is the best draft class.

Old
06-15-2004, 01:51 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Holly, are HF going to do their top 30 rankings for prospects this year? In previous years didn't they usually do a mid-season and a final just before the draft, because I remember using it as my main source of info for the upcoming draft last year.

Old
06-15-2004, 08:10 AM
Holly Gunning

In short, no. We partnered up with a new scouting service this year, ISS, and they are providing a top 15, not a top 30. We have our own profiles on 135 guys so far, and that number will go up a bit higher. Go to the front page and click on the orange bar at the top that says Draft Center.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 06-15-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old
06-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Section119

Good article Holly.

Thanks.

Old
06-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Disco Volante

Are the Hockey's Future staff mock draft results available for us to consult? Haven't seen it yet.

I personnally hope Schremp falls to the Trashers.

Old
06-18-2004, 11:31 AM
Holly Gunning

We were having a collective action problem on that, but I just found a taker. Should be up in a day or so.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 06-18-2004 at 11:39 AM.
Old
06-21-2004, 01:02 PM
cws
...in the drink

ďAnd Iím also going to be honest, Iím very interested in trying to move up in the draft because thereís a couple guys I really, really like in this draft. Forget about the top couple guys, but thereís a couple guys that if we could move up four or five spots, I think they could be very good, impact players for us down the road."

When DW said that, I'm assuming that Barker was one of the players he was alluding to. Who would be the other or others? I could venture a guess but after the first two picks, opinions vary widely on who goes where. The pro's don't seem to have a lock on it.

Did he give any hint or do we just have to wait and see?

Old
06-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Holly Gunning

There was a media event today where he made some additional comments. I'll write up something and you can interpret the remarks yourself.

Might wish to watch your local news tonight as well for clips, all the stations were there. Well, I'm sure Fox5 and 11Alive were since I saw the logo, so best to go with those.

Old
06-21-2004, 01:20 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
There was a media event today where he made some additional comments. I'll write up something and you can interpret the remarks yourself.

Might wish to watch your local news tonight as well for clips, all the stations were there. Well, I'm sure Fox5 and 11Alive were since I saw the logo, so best to go with those.
Sweet.

I'll watch and hope they don't edit it down to nothing. Not as if there's a ton of happenings in sports around the city, but they always seem to condense Thrashers coverage to absurdly small proportions. We shall see...

Old
06-27-2004, 11:43 AM
The Sneak

Gee thanks, HollyG. The class of the CHL this draft class was coming out of the Western and you had to go and make Waddell self conscious about taking kids out of the WHL. You're hurting the ballclub.

Closed Thread