HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#45 | Washington Capitals vs. New York Islanders | Jan 20 | L 1-2

Old
01-20-2011, 09:18 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
I can see Z for faceoffs..... but you can't have Comeau and PaP taking two of the other 3 spots. They would have been better off leaving DiPietro in net and keeping one of those stiffs on the bench.

Comeau killed us on the PP all night long, and PaP killed us in all situations. I swear to christ, I've never seen someone get in the way of his own team mates as much as that guy. Atleast three times a game he either collides with someone or nearly does. This isn't even taking into account that he's a freakin turnover machine, can't take a one timer if his life depended on it, and coasts back into the defensive zone leaving his man completely uncovered CONSTANTLY.

Dude has absolutely NO businesss being in the NHL. Even on the Islanders.
I completely agree with you on PuP and Comeau.

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 09:20 PM
center55

Not to bad 2-1 loss to the Washington Caps here is the good and bad

Grabner - love his breakout abilty playing well
Macdonald and Hamonic - looked solid again tonight
DP - Played good again tonight
KO - a little rusty however he looked good
Nielson - played great

Bad

COACHING IS HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!

Hillen is not good on PP

Can we hit the net please anyone!!! You have to force a rookie goaltender to make some save the way we were shooting for corners woule be understandable if the goaltender was on fire however tonight they just needed to get the shots on net.

Paranteau can someone tell me why this guy has been given 1st line minutes since the second he came to this team? Really I do not understand why (Baiely,Schremp,Comeau) to name a few have been held accountable for poor play yet this guy gets major minutes with our best player since the day he got here. He was not a high draft pick he did not play great anywhere on the NHL level.

Mouslon - I like this guy however how can you not take a better shot one on one with goalie alone in front 3 feet out with no one near you at such a big point in the game? He did not have a good game tonight missed numerous good chances, maybe thinking about contract problems.

Gillies - I turned my head watching the game tonight when he was on the screen so I can not really make a review of his play. Did anyone see the 5 seconds he was near the puck tonight I missed it. I did notice that he enjoyed his popcorn and said all the right things to the tired players coming off the ice.

Martinek - was really bad tonight, hope this is just a bad night for him because with our defense we really need him to be on a higher level.

center55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Groin Of Bates

No one will ever be able to justify Parenteau to me, in any role (though it truly is top-6 or bust with him), on this team. He absolutely blows. With Okposo back, after 1-2 more games so he can get his legs under him, remove that piece of **** from that 1st line. His stat line? Who cares? He's a beneficiary, not a producer.

Bailey is trash. Should have never, ever come back up this season. We weren't going anywhere. I'm very surprised that the great coaching mind of Capuano still has not understood the idea of trying Bailey out on the wing...perhaps, Tavares' wing? Maybe give him a spark? Give him...anything? No, of course not...ideas like this are too simple.

DiPietro, not his fault tonight. But, he needs to stop making those gaffs. Unbelievable.

Martinek-Awful play on the first goal. Awful.

Holy Hillen/Gervais/Reese...

Lack of Grabner on the PP, compared to Paren****'s near 7 minutes, is an absolute joke and an embarrassment to one of the players who has been one of the best in the past stretch of games. It's a joke. I know he is not amazing defensively, but as another poster mentioned, try him on the point which is where he did his work in the past. Hell, even if you don't want to put him on the point...play the guy!

The Konopka/Comeau/Parenteau was discussed enough, but Capuano. This guy blows.

Gillies, with a monstrous 2:30, did a whole lot out there tonight. The same applies to Colliton, who surprise surprise, looks like ****. Would have rathered Schremp...the PP misses him.

Burning hot Comeau finally ran into one of the snow-banks outside of the Coliseum. His play is atrocious and inconsistent, again...

Playoffs are not happening, can the rest of the board finally come in agreement now?

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Urgh. Every time they were on the PP the people in my section were counting the number of passes before they took a shot. On multiple occasions it reached 9 or 10. Absolutely ridiculous. SHOOT THE ****ING PUCK!

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
Playoffs are not happening, can the rest of the board finally come in agreement now?
I don't think I have seen anyone on this board mention the playoffs as a possibility since the long losing streak. So that has been put to bed a long time ago.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:17 AM
NYI94wasaFLUKE9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
I don't think I have seen anyone on this board mention the playoffs as a possibility since the long losing streak. So that has been put to bed a long time ago.
Im going to agree with Doug on this one. I have not heard the words playoff contention come outta anyones mouth lately. We live in reality.

NYI94wasaFLUKE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:58 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
No one will ever be able to justify Parenteau to me, in any role (though it truly is top-6 or bust with him), on this team. He absolutely blows. With Okposo back, after 1-2 more games so he can get his legs under him, remove that piece of **** from that 1st line. His stat line? Who cares? He's a beneficiary, not a producer.

Bailey is trash. Should have never, ever come back up this season. We weren't going anywhere. I'm very surprised that the great coaching mind of Capuano still has not understood the idea of trying Bailey out on the wing...perhaps, Tavares' wing? Maybe give him a spark? Give him...anything? No, of course not...ideas like this are too simple.

DiPietro, not his fault tonight. But, he needs to stop making those gaffs. Unbelievable.

Martinek-Awful play on the first goal. Awful.

Holy Hillen/Gervais/Reese...

Lack of Grabner on the PP, compared to Paren****'s near 7 minutes, is an absolute joke and an embarrassment to one of the players who has been one of the best in the past stretch of games. It's a joke. I know he is not amazing defensively, but as another poster mentioned, try him on the point which is where he did his work in the past. Hell, even if you don't want to put him on the point...play the guy!

Gillies, with a monstrous 2:30, did a whole lot out there tonight. The same applies to Colliton, who surprise surprise, looks like ****. Would have rathered Schremp...the PP misses him.

Burning hot Comeau finally ran into one of the snow-banks outside of the Coliseum. His play is atrocious and inconsistent, again...

I agree with every single thing you said, especially the PAP bit. This teams management sadly seems prone to making logical and common sense decisions.

But nobody expects the playoffs, not at all. We're definitely getting a bottom 5 pick.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
There are still few players on this team that get the puck into the opponent's zone more succesfully and frequently than Parenteau. If it were being counted, he'd be in the top three on the team (next to Nielsen and Comeau).

Although Kyle did some nice things tonight, he is generally a puck hog who also has problems
A) getting shots off quick enough
B) deciding whether to shoot or pass, often ending up with nothing productive

This will only change with time and, in this case, getting back into game shape.

Quote:
Schremp was obviously being sent a message tonight. He hasn't done much offensively in the past three games.

As such, it was logical that Bailey play center tonight. He IS looking better as a winger, mostly because he can concentrate more on the offense there. I don't care how good his +/- was last year, I've seen him as a terribly inefficient defensive player this year.

Due to injuries and with 17 points in 11 AHL games, he had to brought back up. There were no other options. Not replacing the non-playing Hilbert (unless you consider Colliton his replacement) and now having Sim head to Europe, the team no longer has its "they can play 20 games on the fourth line" guys.

Sorry, they're sticking to Bailey.

I agree though that I do not see the improvement this year that he showed last year, where he was more committed to shooting.

Quote:
Well, he did get second unit PP time. In addition, let's face it, Grabs has hand-related problems. Neither his brain nor his hands can keep up with his feet. He even admitted it in his intermission interview last night.

This said, again, Parenteau on the left side hashmarks simply is one of the top PP players on this team. He can control and dish off the puck more efficiently than a good 90% of the guys on this team. He's better at it than either Bailey or Tavares. He's also a righty, which gives him a bit of an advantage in that we have few and need one on that left side (him and Comeau).

Grabner's goal was a beaut, again created by his speed. His general finish is unpolished and he hasn't shown himself to be strong when he has time and space with the puck 'from a positional standpoint'. He looked, for example, very uneasy on the right hash marks during one of his PP appearances last night. He's just not the playmaking type.

I agree with those who feel he could be a reallllll killer on a 4th line that chugs and works and then sends him on the rush 2-4 times a night.

Quote:
Expand. What do the critics feel Capuano is doing so poorly at the moment? For a guy getting his feet wet and being thrown to the wolves, he's been getting some nice efforts out of a number of guys.

Again, all I gotta do is look at that defense (tonight only one Dman with more than 350 games experience under his belt) and wonder what in all of God's great greeness ANY coach could do with this team.

Quote:
Gillies, with a monstrous 2:30, did a whole lot out there tonight. The same applies to Colliton, who surprise surprise, looks like ****.
Honestly, I agree and feel it is an insult to paying customers to have these two guys in the line-up at the same time.

Quote:
Well, I think the rest of the board has been aware of this since the 20-in-22 losing streak.

I'll say this again: even if this team were to go 20-15-2 in its last 37 games - something we all agree would almost be utopic - they'd still only garner 77 points. That's a total surely 12-18 points below what'd be necessary to wrap up the 8th playoff spot.

We are currently tied with Edmonton for second last in the overall standings and have one game in hand. One must assume that, barring further setbacks on the injury front, that we'll be a tick better with Okposo and Streit in the line-up.

The way Jersey is playing and with Lemaire behing the bench (much less with Parise likely back next month), I expect things to change considerably on their front.

Ottawa and Toronto continue to be el stinko, but I still don't think we'll catch up and keep pace with either. One look at our D and the goaltending situation can tell anyone that.

Top 3 pick, here we come!

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 01-21-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
what he heard was a collective gasp from the crowd. what he said: "the islander fans love it when DP leaves the crease."
at this point, given his commentary, i don't know if butchie was serious.
He was. He's a moron.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Urgh. Every time they were on the PP the people in my section were counting the number of passes before they took a shot. On multiple occasions it reached 9 or 10. Absolutely ridiculous. SHOOT THE ****ING PUCK!
They know no-one can hit the net, so they're hesitant to shoot.

Jurcina is about the only guy on the team that gets the puck on goal a good 70% of the time.

I personally still do not understand why these guys - pros no less - think they always have to get everything into shot. The little half-power shots with traffic in front of the goalie are often the most dangerous, are more tippable, and often lead to rebounds.

That's like something eveyone knows, right?

Old
01-21-2011, 08:06 AM
crashthenet

Too many misses tonight. Martinek and Hillen? Really? In a season full of poor performances tonights effort or lack thereof by these two was noteworthy. Hillen is an absolute mess and I am convinced he will never develop into a solid bottom pairing guy. Rather see any of the Bridgeport K's up here.

Glad Okposo is back. Is the Colliton audition over yet? Has me pining for Nate Thompson.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Melanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Welp, the 'we always allow the opponent to score first, usually in the first five minutes' tactic pretty much decided things tonight.

Hard team to skate up against. They're big and plug up the place. They may be way down in the offensive department, but they're not easy to score against.

Personally, I never want to see another game where Colliton and Gillies are in the line-up on the same night. That just weakens the offense too darn much.

Yup....Schremp should have been in instead of one of these guys. If you aren't going to play Gillies just scratch him.

Bailey continues to play too cute at some times, and too passive at other times. That's far too much time spent being 'inefficient'. I'm liking him much better as a RW than center - seriously.

Somebody HAS to get it through Bailey's head that he needs to battle all the time. The play where he clearly had the defenceman beat on an icing and then never touched the puck because he was bracing for a hit was unacceptable.

Inefficient - a key word in describing much of what the Isles did tonight.

Johnny was relatively quiet and some Moulson magic on two seperate occasions could have tied this thing up. Didn't happen.

Dipietro still looks like he's struggling, but this loss was FAR from his fault this evening. This was one of the few games where his 'aggressive offensive' tendencies were actually pretty effective a few times.

DP played well for the most part but still has that moment every game where you think he's playing in a men's beer league. This is the N H L.....one weak goal or gaffe and that is often the difference between winning and losing. He even has his D-men confused because one time he stopped the puck behind the net and left it there and nobody on the Isles went after it.

Love seeing Okposo back and getting right into things. Unfortunately, two times in the third period, he pulled that little lean-to-the-outside, slide the puck back and try and sling it on net thingy. Failed both times and generally rarely works. As a Dman myself, I LOVE when the forwards try that. It makes them easily susceptible to the slightest push and gives me lots of time to block the shot.

I like KO taking more shots last night since he really has a wicked snap/wrister but he still has trouble getting the shot off. He's obviously the least of our problems. I don't think Grabs is a good fit for him though like you said below.

Grabner does this a lot as well. Speaking of these two, they didn't look like the type of players who'll benefit from being on a line together. I also felt Okposo carried the puck too long on many occasions tonight.

Grabs doesn't handle the puck well enought to be on the PP consistently. He's a speed demon that stays mostly on the perimeter. He's a useful weapon but he's not going to go into the dirty areas or stickhandle around anyone.

It was great seeing Nielsen out there again, who quietly made several key defensive plays. Love his game.

Shots on net: well, or lack thereof. Almost every time someone winds up, polishes the ceiling and then lets it rip, it goes wide. Love Hamonic's tendency to shoot, but he hardly ever gets that thing on net. Comeau and Okposo had the best one-timing opportunities and couldn't get the damn thing on net.

Note to team - a young AHLer was in goal. Get the damn thing on net. As to 'how hard exactly' is completely secondary when you've got unproven goods in there.

I am constantly amazed at how often our entire team misses the net.

Dmen:
I still can't believe we went into the season with 9 Dman and we're seeing Gervias, Hillen and Reese in the line-up at the same time. That scene in the second where Gervais broke his stick, Reese fell and Dipietro inefficiently swiped the puck to the boards was the most pee-wee moment I think I've seen in the NHL this season. We're just not gonna win much with them. It just can't be expected.

Hillen:
I'm liking him less and less. He can lug the puck, but he has not improved in how he gets the puck into the opposition's zone and he's shown no improvement in avoiding checks. We know he can't hit people. A pattern that is further developing is that an inordinate amount of pucks jump over his blade, particularly when he's at the blueline. I know the model of stick he uses and he needs another one. That stick has a typically sleek, smaller blade.

Hillen - get a stick with a man's blade please!

I can't believe he himself hasn't noticed this yet or made an attempt to change it.

Ironically, Schremp uses a Bauer stick with a blade that Hillen should be usuing. I've never felt it adequate for a puckhandling center though, but I digress.

OK, off to bed now. Another game tomorrow.

PS) The Devils are gonna be much better in this second half. Except for the games against us, I have no problem with them getting back on track - at least from a drafting standpoint.
On PAP....he, unfortunately, is (as Chapin points out in a later post) one of our best players we have to carry the puck in on the PP. He obviously makes some extremely dumb passes from time to time but until we have better options we are stuck with him out there. I personally would like to see Martin on the PP and just tell him to get in front of the goalie, screen him and bang home rebounds. I just wish we would use him more often. He reminds me a little of Bertuzzi when he first came up with the Isles. I don't think he has that kind of scoring potential but he needs the opportunity to try.

Melanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:12 AM
macleod50

Didn't post my thoughts when I got home from the game, so here's a couple.

Bailey-Looked absolutely lost out there, slow decision making, lost his man way too often. Should have never been recalled this season.

Parenteau- He does not think the game well at all. His lack of awareness in all zones is absolutely brutal. Watching him in person it amazes me that he has as many points as he does. Did love the fact he got under Ovechkin's skin for whatever reason.

Hillen- Holy crap, terrible. His defensive reads are awful and his decisions to pinch and go into the offensive zone were mind boggling. He does not belong on the power play, ever.

DiPietro-Played a decent game, but his movement is tortoise-like. There were a couple times we didn't think he was getting up when the play went the other way. I admire his guts but he needs to be put in a backup role asap.

Okposo-Looked rusty as hell, but still better than the majority of the forwards.

Granber-You really can't appreciate his speed and quickness until you see it in person. I still have no idea why he isn't a constant on the power play...oh wait cause Capuano is a moron.

God I wish Backstrom was an Islander. The kid is just a complete player.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:20 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
Didn't post my thoughts when I got home from the game, so here's a couple.

Bailey-Looked absolutely lost out there, slow decision making, lost his man way too often. Should have never been recalled this season.

Parenteau- He does not think the game well at all. His lack of awareness in all zones is absolutely brutal. Watching him in person it amazes me that he has as many points as he does. Did love the fact he got under Ovechkin's skin for whatever reason.

Hillen- Holy crap, terrible. His defensive reads are awful and his decisions to pinch and go into the offensive zone were mind boggling. He does not belong on the power play, ever.

DiPietro-Played a decent game, but his movement is tortoise-like. There were a couple times we didn't think he was getting up when the play went the other way. I admire his guts but he needs to be put in a backup role asap.

Okposo-Looked rusty as hell, but still better than the majority of the forwards.

Granber-You really can't appreciate his speed and quickness until you see it in person. I still have no idea why he isn't a constant on the power play...oh wait cause Capuano is a moron.God I wish Backstrom was an Islander. The kid is just a complete player.
One thing no one ever talks about is Grabner driving the net and he does it every game. With or without the puck.

Old
01-21-2011, 09:41 AM
BillD

Grabner makes a few really nice, dangerous offensive plays every game.
While his is not a complete player by any means, his unique abiliy to create good offensive chances should make him a staple on the third line of a scoring starved team, especially next to a good defensive specialist like Nielsen wh o can help cover up his defensive shortcomings. Grabner is a specialty player, almost like an enforcer, but he can be much more useful if he is used correctly. A possible game breaker.
I can't believe popular whipping boy Comeau escaped bashing. I like this player for us until we have some better option (more consistent, complete) scoring winger. He started the game like he was shot out of a cannon, using two of his several high end skills........speed and hitting. He has been hot the last 20 games so it looked like he was going to have a real impact game. For whatever reason, be it having Bailey center him instead of Schremp, IDK, he had one of his worst games in a long time. Turned the puck over, mishandled it, passes not accurate, no SOG.
I have to hope it was just one bad game and not the beginning of another "bad Comeau" streak of games. Maybe tonight he picks it up and starts to play like he has been before this poor showing.
He says he wants to be a difference maker, and he has the tools to do it. Johnny didn't have a good game either, he was controlled and marked closely by the big Caps defense. Both these guys are important parts of the offense, with KO back they need to stay steady and let KO add to the mix.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
God I wish Backstrom was an Islander. The kid is just a complete player.
I love Backstrom. He's just so smart and smooth.

Despite being nothing special in the speed and size departments, he just knows how to avoid the rough stuff and find open people.

He's not afraid to shoot either.

Just a wonderful player.

We can only hope and pray that a Petrov, Kabanov or a forward we might take in the first round this summer can be a bit like what he is.

Awwww, who am I kidding?

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 01-21-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old
01-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
While his is not a complete player by any means, his unique abiliy to create good offensive chances should make him a staple on the third line of a scoring starved team, especially next to a good defensive specialist like Nielsen wh o can help cover up his defensive shortcomings. Grabner is a specialty player, almost like an enforcer, but he can be much more useful if he is used correctly. A possible game breaker.
I can't believe popular whipping boy Comeau escaped bashing. I like this player for us until we have some better option (more consistent, complete) scoring winger. He started the game like he was shot out of a cannon, using two of his several high end skills........speed and hitting. He has been hot the last 20 games so it looked like he was going to have a real impact game. For whatever reason, be it having Bailey center him instead of Schremp, IDK, he had one of his worst games in a long time. Turned the puck over, mishandled it, passes not accurate, no SOG.
I have to hope it was just one bad game and not the beginning of another "bad Comeau" streak of games. Maybe tonight he picks it up and starts to play like he has been before this poor showing.
He says he wants to be a difference maker, and he has the tools to do it. Johnny didn't have a good game either, he was controlled and marked closely by the big Caps defense. Both these guys are important parts of the offense, with KO back they need to stay steady and let KO add to the mix.
In addition to our first line, I'd like to see the following in the coming weeks:

Grabner-Nielsen-Bailey
Comeau-Schremp-Okposo
Martin-Konopka-Colliton (Hunter when he's back)

With what we have at the moment, I believe these are the most complimentary line-ups we can devise.

Ohhhhh, and I've always despised how Gordon used Okposo as a point man. So what does Capuano do on the very first PP???

Sheesh, don't wanna see Schremp or Hillen at the point either.

Go with Mac, Nielsen, Hamonic and <gulp> even Gervais/Reese.

Old
01-21-2011, 10:17 AM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I love Backstrom. He's just so smart and smooth.

Despite being nothing special in the speed and size departments, he just knows how to avoid the rough stuff and find open people.

He's not afraid to shoote either.

Just a wonderful player.

We can only hope and pray that a Petrov, Kabanov or a forward we might take in the first round this summer can be a bit like what he is.

Awwww, who am I kidding?
Yep, he does everything well.

Honestly, I'd be happy if Tavares turned into a version of him but with better hands.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:04 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Defensive shortcomings? Keep in mind this is his rookie year on a team with no vets to speak of. Give him some time and I think we'll see a legit 2nd liner.

If Comeau went to the net like Grabner fewer people would be down on him. He has legit skills, skates well,shoots hard and hits but rarely does these things consistently. Had one shift last night where he hit everthing in sight. I wish he could put it all together.

Old
01-21-2011, 03:08 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
Defensive shortcomings? Keep in mind this is his rookie year on a team with no vets to speak of. Give him some time and I think we'll see a legit 2nd liner.

If Comeau went to the net like Grabner fewer people would be down on him. He has legit skills, skates well,shoots hard and hits but rarely does these things consistently. Had one shift last night where he hit everthing in sight. I wish he could put it all together.
Grabs was a nice find for no cost.
It isn't so much that he doesn't play defensively, but his defensive awareness is low.
He is a rookie and as Al Arbour said of Bossy, "he can be taught to play defense".

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:05 PM
camper

OV and Chimerea were pretty quiet once the Isles put Martin on a line against them, That was a lame call by the zebra on Martins crushing Chimera? The kid causes turnovers, OV can hit also but wanted nothing to do with the human wreching ball Martin. He is now 4th in the NHL for hits, nice rook. consistency in the role the Isles are giving you for now.

camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

I think the Islanders have a great crop of young forwards and great forward depth on this team If this team can add a few good dmen watch out

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote