HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov to Detroit (570K), Nabby on waivers, claimed by the Islanders

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2011, 04:25 PM
sepster

vCash: 500
Dream scenario is that Florida claims Nabakov and then trades Vokoun to Detroit for Hulder and Miller...or something like that

Old
01-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Mooslan

I could see Colorado taking him if it comes to it. Hell, Flames, Islanders, Devils, Capitals, and a few others might just take him. Some out of spite, some out of need.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Sharks will probably claim him.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepster View Post
Dream scenario is that Florida claims Nabakov and then trades Vokoun to Detroit for Hulder and Miller...or something like that
Dream is the right word. Florida can get a lot more from other teams.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:32 PM
amit916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooslan View Post
I could see Colorado taking him if it comes to it. Hell, Flames, Islanders, Devils, Capitals, and a few others might just take him. Some out of spite, some out of need.
Old and broken is not what we're going for...Andy's been really good lately and has turned it around from a bad start and coming off those injuries (our defense on the other hand...eh...)

Old
01-20-2011, 04:33 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
DarrenDreger

He'll be claimed
If that 570k figure is accurate, there is no chance in hell he makes it through waivers.

I'm not sure why they'd even try to do this in that case - the only way it works is if you set the dollars just right to prevent teams from having cap room to make the claim.

Unless their plan is to shake loose a decent backup. If Colorado claims him they probably waive Budaj, who is better than Joey MacDonald. If Dallas claims him they probably waive Raycroft, who is better than Joey MacDonald. If St. Louis claims him they probably waive Conklin, who is better than Joey MacDonald.

That would probably be the Wings' preference, since they know and like Conklin. But...I'm pretty sure he'd get claimed before the Wings could get him anyway. So it doesn't make any sense. Unless it's a personal favor. Who is Nabby's agent?

Old
amit916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Sharks will probably claim him.
The reaction on his face when he receives that call would be hilarious.

Old
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepster View Post
Detroit doesn't need Vokoun. They're going after Nabby because hes free. The Red Wings will make it to the playoffs just fine, and already have the possibility of doing some damage without adding a goalie.

This isn't a team that needs to go deep into the playoffs this year.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Mooslan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit916 View Post
Old and broken is not what we're going for...Andy's been really good lately and has turned it around from a bad start and coming off those injuries (our defense on the other hand...eh...)
I didn't know Anderson was back, I watched a Colorado game maybe a week or so ago and Budaj was still playing.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Henkka

It's just crazy how other team fans doesn't know any clue about our team.

First, the whole LTIR discussion about Datsyuk, Cleary, and Holmström is just worthless. They will be back in time. Please discuss about the right players, when discussing about LTIR.

They are Mike Modano (wrist injury), Brad Stuart (broken jaw), Chris Osgood (sports hernia surgery).

They combine 6.9 million in caphits minus other replacement players caphits (Mursak 646k, Tatar 870k). That will leave 5.4 million for Nabokov to be used as LTIR replacement.

Osgood, Modano and Stuart could be on LTIR the whole regular season. Stuart is said to be back at end of february, but that injury isn't easy to get your body back in shape, because you can't eat normal food for a while. If Kindl does well, they maybe keep Stuart tactically out and use that conditioning stint option at end of regular season.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
If that 570k figure is accurate, there is no chance in hell he makes it through waivers.

I'm not sure why they'd even try to do this in that case - the only way it works is if you set the dollars just right to prevent teams from having cap room to make the claim.

Unless their plan is to shake loose a decent backup. If Colorado claims him they probably waive Budaj, who is better than Joey MacDonald. If Dallas claims him they probably waive Raycroft, who is better than Joey MacDonald. If St. Louis claims him they probably waive Conklin, who is better than Joey MacDonald.

That would probably be the Wings' preference, since they know and like Conklin. But...I'm pretty sure he'd get claimed before the Wings could get him anyway. So it doesn't make any sense. Unless it's a personal favor. Who is Nabby's agent?
Signing him also prevents other Western Conference teams who were interested in signing him from signing him to a long term deal and the waiver wire setup currently would favor an EC team picking him up unless Edmonton claims him after the Devils pass.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:37 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

If I were Detroit management, I'd be livid at anyone that took him. Nobody wanted him yesterday...now that the Wings want to give him a job someone else says, "Hey, we want Nabokov"?? It would germinate a never-ending vendetta if I were Wings front office....

Old
01-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
If I were Detroit management, I'd be livid at anyone that took him. Nobody wanted him yesterday...now that the Wings want to give him a job someone else says, "Hey, we want Nabokov"?? It would germinate a never-ending vendetta if I were Wings front office....
I'm sorry, how exactly do you know that nobody wanted him yesterday? Perhaps other GMs didn't want to sign him and risk losing him to waivers as the Red Wings currently are doing, instead prudently waiting for a different team to bite the bullet and placing a claim?

Old
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse Bundy View Post
Can I sound like a baby and complain about waivers in this situation?

Why does everyone have to get a chance to claim him? He is a free agent. If a team really wants him, they can go sign him themselves.
Blues fans have zero empathy.

Old
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
A ton of teams wanted him...it was reported on weeks ago that there were several teams interested. The problem was no one wants to sign him and have a chance where someone else would claim them.

And also, that's how the waiver's work.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:43 PM
detredWINgs

The terms of the deal will show whether or not Detroit really cares about getting Nabby.

If its a 570k deal (which I highly, highly doubt), then theres no way Detroit really cared about getting him.

If its a 2 year deal, that features at least a 1.5M salary, that suggests Detroit wants to deter other teams from snagging him. The Wings have enough LTIR credit that will endure until after the deadline (at least for Modano and Osgood).

Nabokov is vastly underrated

Old
01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
eklunds source

I know waiver claim order is based on standings - if 5 teams put in a claim, he goes to the team lowest in the standings (unless it's October, where claim order goes by last years standings)..

..but are the standings by points, or points percentage? Example with made up numbers: The Devils have 20 points in 45 games (pace: 36) and the Oilers have 21 points in 52 games (pace: 33).. Who gets him?

Old
01-20-2011, 04:45 PM
eklunds source

Also, you can't bank LTIR and use it as credit, to the poster above me. It only lasts as long as the player is on LTIR.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
I know waiver claim order is based on standings - if 5 teams put in a claim, he goes to the team lowest in the standings (unless it's October, where claim order goes by last years standings)..

..but are the standings by points, or points percentage? Example with made up numbers: The Devils have 20 points in 45 games (pace: 36) and the Oilers have 21 points in 52 games (pace: 33).. Who gets him?
Percentage.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

At that price if he falls to Tampa I got a hard time thinking SFY wouldn't grab him. 570,000? He'll be lucky to get by Ottawa or Colorado.

570,000 is still too much for Wang.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:47 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit916 View Post
Nabokov is the more fit of the two, without question.

But, yeah, Raggedy Andy is good enough for the Avs.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:51 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Also, you can't bank LTIR and use it as credit, to the poster above me. It only lasts as long as the player is on LTIR.
This has been addressed many times in this thread already. Osgood and Modano (at the least) will be off the roster and on LTIR until after the deadline. Effectively, that gives Detroit that LTIR credit for the entire season, regular and post.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:54 PM
PhillyCurt12

anyone think the wings signing him cuz they know some garbage team will claim him at that price tag? they might not want someone else to sign him to a deal that only looks attractive to a contender with a bit of cap space.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Gulvorn

It's not rocket science. The waiver wire at this moment looks like this

New Jersey
Edmonton
NYI
Ottawa
Toronto
Buffalo
Calgary
Columbus
Los Angeles
Carolina
St. Louis
San Jose
Atlanta
Minnesota
Chicago
Colorado
Phoenix
Anaheim
Montreal
Nashville
NY Rangers
Washington
Tampa Bay
Boston
Dallas
Pittsburgh
Vancouver
Philadelphia

If he passes waivers by all those teams, then Detroit gets to keep him. If not, they lose him and are compensated by the claiming team (most likely 90k).

Standings can change and since he isn't officially signed (assuming he is approved tonight or early tomorrow), then it will be based on standings as of Saturday at noon.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:56 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
I don't see any way he'll actually make it to Detroit. Only Vancouver and Philly don't have the option of claiming him.
Don't think that's how it works, I believe ALL teams have the option to put in a claim, even teams above Detroit in the standings.

Closed Thread