HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov to Detroit (570K), Nabby on waivers, claimed by the Islanders

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2011, 11:03 PM
m9

vCash: 500
I don't get all the conspiracy theories by people. Detroit needs a goalie, so they signed the best available one for the league minimum. If someone else grabs him, they'll figure something else out to fill the void.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:06 PM
ocarina

a NMC is the poison pill? I don't think it's going to work, not at that cap hit. Now if it was also a two year deal, I could of seen teams backing off, but really, what's the risk if the cap hit is only 250 K?

Old
01-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9 View Post
I don't get all the conspiracy theories by people. Detroit needs a goalie, so they signed the best available one for the league minimum. If someone else grabs him, they'll figure something else out to fill the void.
It's a combination of fans of certain teams not wanting Detroit to get Nabokov (you can feel the desperation oozing out of some posts, particularly from a certain Blue Jackets fan, to have someone else claim him), and others bleating out "cap circumvention!" like sheep, every time a signing or move takes place that they don't like.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
It's a combination of fans of certain teams not wanting Detroit to get Nabokov (you can feel the desperation oozing out of some posts, particularly from a certain Blue Jackets fan, to haves someone else claim him), and others bleating out "cap circumvention!" like sheep, every time a signing or move takes place that they don't like.
I don't care who gets him. I just don't understand how people still aren't versed on the CBA that has been out for like 6 years now and there have been countless waivers that have gone on since then.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:12 PM
FlamesFan18

vCash: 50
I could potentially see him coming to Calgary. Kippers played like ****, letting in like 21 goals in his 5 games. Being pulled on 2 of those, should of been pulled on a 3rd. Our back up Karlsson has played amazing though, and were small on cap. But I could see it happening, but I highly doubt it.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:14 PM
gn2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
I don't care who gets him. I just don't understand how people still aren't versed on the CBA that has been out for like 6 years now and there have been countless waivers that have gone on since then.
It's because it's a goalie that got 44 wins last year and is signed for only 570k...HOW would a GM not want a goalie like that on his team if he wants to be selfish let him be but for that cheap take the riskk geezzz he declined a 6 mil contract this year so they all know how much he is worth

Old
01-20-2011, 11:15 PM
joe89

Quote:
No I'm not. GMs pick up players that make their teams better. The waiver wire is just a draft. When you draft players you are trying to get the BPA. It's the same with the waiver wire.

There are a legitimate probably 10 teams in the league that would and probably should claim Nabokov with a 570k cap hit.
You make it sound like Nabokov is some no-miss superstar at this point. Even less THIS season. No one can really say for sure that he will come in and be good enough to overtake the starter role, not even from Jimmy Howard. He demands to have that chance though. I don't think you have followed his European season at all, we are not talking about the Vezina worthy goaltender he once was. Not to mention he hasn't play for one and a half month.

Further, you are completely dismissing the fact that we are over halfway through the season, many teams have already made up their minds whether they are pushing for the playoffs or are sellers at the deadline. There is a reason Detroit is trying to sign him and not another team to begin with. They need another goaltender and are taking a shot here.

That said, there are a handful of teams that probably would want to look long before they let him get away. But don't think they will do it for any other reason than that they think he will improve their hockey club and that they are willing to let him show his worth.

The put him in the press box theories only exists in your minds.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:15 PM
gn2007

but the other waivers aren't all from europe and stuff. The other kind is just a team waiving a player then signing one u know

Old
01-20-2011, 11:17 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
If you're going to question the CBA look at Luongo, Huet, Redden, Hossa, Finger, Nylander and many others that teams have found ways to circumvent the cap months ago.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Furious George
Ville the Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Chiefs View Post
If you're going to question the CBA look at Luongo, Huet, Redden, Hossa, Finger, Nylander and many others that teams have found ways to circumvent the cap months ago.
WHA?

One of these is not like the others.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Boom King

According to a journalist who covers the Islanders, the team had some discussions about putting in a claim for Nabokov:

http://twitter.com/KatieStrangNYI/st...91514773807104

Edit: Sorry, just read the thread a few pages back and saw that this was posted already.

Last edited by Boom King: 01-20-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old
01-20-2011, 11:26 PM
gn2007

Waiver rules more complicated than I knew. If more than 1 team were to claim, DET could lose its priority status to re-claim on 2nd waivers.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gn2007 View Post
Waiver rules more complicated than I knew. If more than 1 team were to claim, DET could lose its priority status to re-claim on 2nd waivers.
there is no priority status. All the journalists are wrong on this one. Go read article 13 if you dont believe me.

01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
You make it sound like Nabokov is some no-miss superstar at this point. Even less THIS season. No one can really say for sure that he will come in and be good enough to overtake the starter role, not even from Jimmy Howard. He demands to have that chance though. I don't think you have followed his European season at all, we are not talking about the Vezina worthy goaltender he once was. Not to mention he hasn't play for one and a half month.

Further, you are completely dismissing the fact that we are over halfway through the season, many teams have already made up their minds whether they are pushing for the playoffs or are sellers at the deadline. There is a reason Detroit is trying to sign him and not another team to begin with. They need another goaltender and are taking a shot here.

That said, there are a handful of teams that probably would want to look long before they let him get away. But don't think they will do it for any other reason than that they think he will improve their hockey club and that they are willing to let him show his worth.

The put him in the press box theories only exists in your minds.
You're right, he won't be in the pressbox. His contract will either be terminated if he refuses assignment or he'll play for the team that picks him up.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:31 PM
gn2007

telling me bob mackenzie is wrong for once?

Old
01-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

good pickup for the Sharks

Old
01-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Chiefs View Post
Where in the CBA does it say that teams cannot loan players to European leagues?

It doesn't, in fact it says a team that owns a players contract can loan a player to European leagues if they clear waivers.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:35 PM
joe89

Quote:
You're right, he won't be in the pressbox. His contract will either be terminated if he refuses assignment or he'll play for the team that picks him up.
Well, duuh?

Old
01-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Coffey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOctopusKid View Post
Actually, I don't think the Wings are looking for circumvention. The conditions are rules are very specific and all the GM's know and understand the rules.

I think the points that we are overlooking here specifically was how the Wings structured the deal, and what Meehan publicly stated to all the of NHL teams.

The Wings specifically placed in a No Movement Clause so once a team acquires Nabokov, he cannot be moved, waived, traded, etc. without his approval. Additionally, he is ineligible for the AHL. So when a team makes a claim, they are stuck with him on their 23-man roster for the remainder of the season.

Additionally, Meehan specifically laid out of warning to all of the other NHL franchises and I'm sure his wording was very careful - "wants to compete as a starter".

So the question at this point would be, do you take a swing at a goaltender with the potential pitfalls:

1) You haven't seen him play in over 8 months
2) There is a chance he may not report at all if he disagrees with the situation
3) If claimed, he must be on the roster and we cannot move him at all
4) He explicitly states he expects to "compete with the starter" meaning, if we bury him in the press box he will be disgruntled and could prove to be a point of contention/distraction/etc.

The Wings did all they could contractually and politically to make him less attractive.

They waited till late Thursday night to shorten the claim period. They put in a No Move to prevent other teams from expelling or moving him off of the 23 man roster. The agent of the player made a veiled threat.

I'm not sure if this is the right course of action but it is apparent that it isn't as simple as "Someone will screw the Wings", because the run the risk of acquiring an asset they don't need and potentially bring in a unpredictable variable into the locker room.
In a way it sort of reminds me of the Carolina offer sheet to Sergei Fedorov in 1998...
Canes structured the contract that if the team Fedorov is on reaches the 3rd round that Fedorov would get a huge chunk of the contract up front ($20 million or so). Since Detroit was in cup contention and very likely to reach that round it was incentive not to match. Luckily, Wings matched and got Fedorov back.

I'm meh over Nabokov. I think he's a bit over-rated. But at the same time he's a decent goalie and for a $250,000 cap hit, why not? Can't be worse than Osgood was last year.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Ledger_NJDevils

Devils may claimn goalie Evgeni Nabokov and then put him on waivers so Red Wings can claim him and complete their acquisition.
20 minutes ago via web

Old
01-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Boom King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Ledger_NJDevils

Devils may claimn goalie Evgeni Nabokov and then put him on waivers so Red Wings can claim him and complete their acquisition.
20 minutes ago via web
Seems redundant. What would stop another team who has a lower points percentage to claiming Nabokov before Detroit on waivers the second go around?

Old
01-20-2011, 11:53 PM
ricky0034

I hate this

I know there's no chance he will be a Wing but all the same I can't stop myself from constantly reading every new post on the subject in several forums and refreshing several twitter pages

Old
01-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Seems redundant. What would stop another team who has a lower points percentage to claiming Nabokov before Detroit on waivers the second go around?
Because since Det signed him they get first dibs if he goes back on waivers.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:55 PM
pman25

Hard to imagine he will clear. So many team can use him. Sure many team already have solid goaltenders, but are they as good or better than Nabokov? Hell nah. Though I don't really see teams low in the standings picking him up, more likely someone on the outside looking in or playoff teams.

I could see Columbus, Los Angeles (just because of their poor play lately), San Jose? haha, Colorado, Chicago, Washington, Philly. Not sure I see Tampa making a claim just because of the recent acquisition of Roloson, but wouldn't surprise me. Maybe Toronto just because they seem to never give up hope on the playoffs.

I'm a caps fan, though Bruce and Mcphee are high on Neuvirth, Varlamov, Holtby, I still think they would put in a claim. Neuvirth is currently injured and Varlamov is usually injured in some way or another

But yeah, I don't see him in a Red Wings uniform!

Old
01-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
I don't know the rules, but supposedly the original team to sign the player gets first dibs on a re-waiver? At least, that's what I've been hearing. Although I've seen that's been disputed so I don't know what is right.

Edito: Apparently this is circumvented if more than one team puts in a stake on Nabokov with his original waiver. They lose their priority status in that case.

Closed Thread