HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov to Detroit (570K), Nabby on waivers, claimed by the Islanders

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2011, 02:14 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 500
go to http://capgeek.com/tracker/index.php
sort by max cap hit (the maximum contract they could add at this time).

17 other teams could probably match whatever detroit throws at nabby. The ones which i could actually see adding a goalie are: Isles, Atlanta, Tampa, Colorado, Florida (to trade vokoun), columbus, and toronto (to trade gus/giggy)

Old
01-20-2011, 02:15 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
A couple reasons why I doubt it:

1. The Wings don't hand out multi-year contracts to guys that aren't on the roster. They bring guys in and see how they fit before they go long-term.

2. The higher the cap hit, the MORE likely he is to make it through waivers. So the Wings would be benefitted by increasing the amount of the deal even if it seems way too high.

3. Since they can increase the cap hit on a 1 year deal just as easily as a multi-year deal, there's really no reason to risk a huge multi-year deal on an over-35 goalie in this case. They can sign him for 1 year and $5 mil and hope nobody who has the cap room to claim him actually wants to mess with the Wings enough to pull the trigger.
None of this makes any sense. Once the injured guys come back, unless he makes what Osgood makes, the Wings are over the cap.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:17 PM
airlouche

Mmmm, maybe San Jose will claim him.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:20 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
None of this makes any sense. Once the injured guys come back, unless he makes what Osgood makes, the Wings are over the cap.
There are a lot of ways they can make it work.

1. Keep Osgood on IR until the playoffs, or send him for "conditioning" to keep him off the books until the playoffs. He's out until March anyway.

2. Send Nabokov down for a 2 week "conditioning" stint if guys come back early.

3. More guys get injured and they don't have to worry about it.

4. Keep Stuart on IR until the playoffs, or send him for "conditioning"...

Etc.

Edit - I don't think Nabby is worth all of this fuss and effort, but I'm saying it's POSSIBLE.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
As a Blackhawks fan, I strongly support the idea of Nabokov going to Detroit
I concur

Old
01-20-2011, 02:25 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Well, they keep accruing LTIR credit as long as Homer, Datsyuk, Cleary, and Osgood are out. So the number they can take on will increase every day until those guys come off LTIR.

The number provided by capgeek reflects the amount of LTIR credit they have built up to date, assuming Datsyuk, Cleary, Homer, etc are all back in the lineup tomorrow.

What is 'LTIR Credit'?

That's not how injured-reserve works. You can go up to that cushion for the day as players are on LTIR but as soon as the sun rises the next day that exemption cushion is gone. You can't accrue 'LTIR credit' and take on a pro-rated contract.

You can't continually bank capspace from the LTIR portion.

Let's say a player makes $10,000 per day in salary on a cap-maxed team and goes on LTIR, for each day he is on LTIR the CBA allows you an extra $10,000 each day to replace that injured player. If you use that money for a replacement then great, but the allowance never goes above that $10,000 for any given day, regardless of you took advantage of the cushion yesterday or not.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:26 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Quote:
Edit - I don't think Nabby is worth all of this fuss and effort, but I'm saying it's POSSIBLE.
Ok, now that makes sense. However, I really don't see them going through all of that for Nabokov. I think they'd like to have him at a price that fits, and if it doesn't work out, they tried.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:29 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
There are a lot of ways they can make it work.

1. Keep Osgood on IR until the playoffs, or send him for "conditioning" to keep him off the books until the playoffs. He's out until March anyway.

2. Send Nabokov down for a 2 week "conditioning" stint if guys come back early.

3. More guys get injured and they don't have to worry about it.

4. Keep Stuart on IR until the playoffs, or send him for "conditioning"...

Etc.

Players on Conditioning Loans are still considered on the Active Roster and still count against the cap.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Highly doubt he will clear waivers

Hoping Toronto picks him up

Old
01-20-2011, 02:33 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Players on Conditioning Loans are still considered on the Active Roster and still count against the cap.
Not if they are on LTIR.

13.9 Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan. A Player who is on the Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception as set forth in Article 50 may, with his consent, during the term of such Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception (but in no event during the first fourteen (14) calendar days and six (6) NHL Games), be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan (the "Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan") for a period not to exceed up to the longer of six (6) days and three (3) games, solely for the purpose of determining whether the Player is fit to play. If the Club determines that it needs more time to assess the Player's fitness to play, the Club may file a written request by facsimile with the Commissioner's Office, with a copy to the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof, to extend the Loan for an additional two (2) games. The Commissioner, upon good cause, may approve the onetime extension. The Commissioner's approval shall not be unreasonably withheld. A Player on a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan will continue to be listed on Injured Reserve and will not count against the Club's 23-man roster limit.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Slvrdwn

does anyone know how long the window is to make a claim for a player like this? i'm not really sure of the rules, just curious.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
As a Blackhawks fan, I strongly support the idea of Nabokov going to Detroit
Well that's dumb seeing as he's better than any of the goalies the Red Wings have now.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:37 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

There has been some speculation on the Sharks board about the Wings signing him to an SPC with some poison pill to deter other teams from claiming him.

Some caveats:

- Nabby is not eligible for Performance Bonuses - the 35+ yo criteria is based on his age on June 30 - so they could not do a reverse Federov. When the Canes signed Federov to an offer sheet in '98 it included an accelerated $12M signing bonus if his team made the conference finals (likely for Detroit, not likely for Carolina). The League nixed the deal, but an arbiter over ruled them and upheld the Offer Sheet. The Wings matched and later paid that bonus.

- Any SPC term which would directly treat other teams differently from the Wings (ie something like a NMC if he plays for any team other than Detroit) would likely be rejected by the League - although an arbiter would make the final call.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:41 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
Not if they are on LTIR.

13.9 Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan. A Player who is on the Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception as set forth in Article 50 may, with his consent, during the term of such Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception (but in no event during the first fourteen (14) calendar days and six (6) NHL Games), be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan (the "Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan") for a period not to exceed up to the longer of six (6) days and three (3) games, solely for the purpose of determining whether the Player is fit to play. If the Club determines that it needs more time to assess the Player's fitness to play, the Club may file a written request by facsimile with the Commissioner's Office, with a copy to the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof, to extend the Loan for an additional two (2) games. The Commissioner, upon good cause, may approve the onetime extension. The Commissioner's approval shall not be unreasonably withheld. A Player on a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan will continue to be listed on Injured Reserve and will not count against the Club's 23-man roster limit.
An LTIR Conditioning Loan ("Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan") is a different beast than a Conditioning Loan - it is only for players on LTIR and is limited in duration.

Nabby could not be sent down on an LTIR Conditioning Loan.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Wildcarder

Det's current LTIR players (I believe)

Datsyuk 6.7m
Modano 1.75m
Cleary 2.8m
Stuart 3.75m
Osgood 1.4m

Holmstrom 1.88m (not on IR yet)

Even when Datsyuk returns they have a lot of LTIR cap space to use for Nabokov, especially if the 4.5m figure is accurate.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Well that's dumb seeing as he's better than any of the goalies the Red Wings have now.
Nabokov allows some truly dreadful goals (Soft backbreaking goals)

Guy was weak vs Hawks in WCF and has been weak for Sharks in playoffs for years

Puts up good stats but he allows just absoluely demoralizing goals

Old
01-20-2011, 02:48 PM
DarkReign

As a Wings fan, I am ambivalent. If they sign him and he is claimed, whatever. If he passes through waivers, great. Either way, its cool.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:51 PM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

I am NOT defending Nabokov here, but do you think it might be because he played 60+ games a year for 10 years straight?

The dude was a workhorse for the Sharks and even I licked my chops at the thought of playing the Sharks in the playoffs knowing that Evgeni was no goaltender to fear.

But he wouldnt be under the same workload in Detroit. Hell, he wouldnt even be the clear-cut starter. He'd have to earn it against Howard and (much less so) Osgood.

I dont know, just sounds like a situation where a rested Nabokov might shine. All conjecture, of course.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
As a Wings fan, I am ambivalent. If they sign him and he is claimed, whatever. If he passes through waivers, great. Either way, its cool.
I would love to have him, but not gonna lose sleep over it if we lose him on waivers.

As this news was unexpected to begin with and theres a slim chances he gets through waivers.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
AbsolonMoreau*

Quote:

Old
01-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:

He would platoon with Howard, rest of the way and would most likely be the backup(or even 3rd stringer) in the playoffs. So its not like he will be the bonafide starter.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
go to http://capgeek.com/tracker/index.php
sort by max cap hit (the maximum contract they could add at this time).

17 other teams could probably match whatever detroit throws at nabby. The ones which i could actually see adding a goalie are: Isles, Atlanta, Tampa, Colorado, Florida (to trade vokoun), columbus, and toronto (to trade gus/giggy)
I doubt Toronto would claim him. Reimer and Gus seem to be the tandem next year, or some other combo, the last thing Toronto needs is another goalie. Even though Gus is really struggling at the moment. I rather see Reimer get a boat load of starts after the deadline. The guy has been impressive. He deserves a shot.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:58 PM
chasespace

If it's a one year deal I hope Tampa claims him off of waivers. A Roli/Nabokov tandem would take the Lightning deep unless Nabokov is a complete bust.

Old
01-20-2011, 03:03 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I think Ottawa would be wise to throw a claim in there....or nat.
Regarding Ottawa, Isle, Edmonton: don't pick him up if you want to stay bottom feeder

Old
01-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:

The Sharks scored 7 goals in that series. Think Nabby might have fared a little better had he been given some goal support? He's a great goalie, far, far better than Howard will ever be or Osgood ever was. And if you want to talk about soft, backbreaking goals in the playoffs, look no further than Howard's stellar performance against SJ in Round 2 last spring.

Closed Thread