HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers Draft day Thread ... No new threads.

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Brad*

vCash: 500
I don't think it was that bad of a draft, considering what they had to work with. Some of the picks were questionable, but when it comes to the later round guys it's usually a crapshoot.

Old
06-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Most of these players are at best 3rd liners. It seems like they drafted only to get depth for the Phantoms.
You cannot tell how guys will devpt. over time.
If they are lock on top six or stud D then they go very high.
KJ was an eigth rounder - never supposed to make it and look what he has done.
Guys change and to say they are this or that at the NHL level (third liners) is premature. Sure, most will never see the ice for the Flyers but one or two may down the road be players.

Old
06-27-2004, 07:56 PM
blah

Yeah he was from Europe. Not that unrealistic to think somebody would be improrperly scouted over there. The Flyers drafted mostly north american grinders. Where's the upside?

Old
06-27-2004, 08:07 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
I'm knew you'd be here, seeingyou watched him try break legs for 7 games straight.

I guess if you're bobby Clarke Pisellini>Mcgrath!
I wouldn't have drafted either one to be honest..... Oh well, it could be worse -- we could have drafted Dylan Hunter instead of Buffalo! :lol

Last edited by CharlieGirl: 06-27-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old
06-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
KJ was an eigth rounder
And last overall pick to be exact.

Old
06-27-2004, 09:49 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Extremely? If they're only drafting players w/ 3rd line potential I'd like to think they'll find at at least one who can reach the NHL.
this draft sucked, especially for the 3rd round, by that time, the majority of the players left have 3rd line potential at best, the flyers did a good job picking up a lot of these guys who are okay talents.

Old
06-27-2004, 10:06 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

As for the Flyers taking grinders, perhaps that is a good strategy. Last year was a strong draft with excellent talent, and we got three high end talents in Carter, Richards, and Ruzicka. This year was a weak one, so perhaps Clarke took less risky picks with hope that a few turn out and the draft is not completely lost. He has already compensated for the lack of a first round talent with the Umberger signing. And take a look at last year's draft. We traded two unspectacular players in Fraser and Kozak for two excellent players that helped us in the strectch.

Old
06-27-2004, 11:47 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
I don't know if you're referring to me, but I trashed one player that i have actually seen play.
nah if i were, I would of mentioned it...just at the bunch of moans and groans at how boring the draft was, get annoying...

Looking back I saw you trashed Pisselini, and it's pretty much unanamous that it was a wasted pick, so I can't fault you that.

Old
06-28-2004, 01:24 AM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McGillis 03
Looking back I saw you trashed Pisselini, and it's pretty much unanamous that it was a wasted pick, so I can't fault you that.
I'm pretty sure they are pissed because Pisellini is the type of player who you hate to play against, but like on your team, and he doesn't play on their team. He seems to have potential, and is always willing to throw down. I for one am excited over the pick, the Flyers need some toughness with their prospects.

Last edited by paxtang: 06-28-2004 at 02:48 AM.
Old
06-28-2004, 02:48 AM
paxtang

http://ohltoughguys.com/index.php?to=ttt_pisellini

Short interview with Pisellini, there is also a clip there with him absolutely rocking someone in a fight.

Old
06-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
WOW he really tore that guy up.

Old
06-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Pontifex Maximus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
http://ohltoughguys.com/index.php?to=ttt_pisellini

Short interview with Pisellini, there is also a clip there with him absolutely rocking someone in a fight.
Great fight. Rarely do you see that many connections.

Old
06-28-2004, 09:43 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan mao rong
Well, I guess it's official. You're finally done flapping your gums about how bad last year's draft was. How long before circumstances cause a re-evaluation of this year's asessments as well.
Until I get proven wrong, like I said I was waiting for to hopefully happen. If you have a problem with my opinion and feel like calling me out on it, go right ahead. Make sure you do your homework.

Old
06-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Pontifex Maximus*

Inquirer has a review of all the picks. Feature article on Piselinni. Says he admires and plays like Bertuzzi.

Anderson still a senior in HS next year.

Laliberte a physical playmaker.

Scurko best player on Slovakia U18.

Grant will be with Phantoms next year.

Carter established himself in last two months.

Overall, very positive review of the picks. I like this crop.

I'd like to see Anderson play in the CHL and forget about playing against inferior talent but he wants to play college. Maybe he can join a USHL or NAHL team and still complete HS.

I hope Scurko is selected in the CHL import draft on Wednesday. We could have another Stefan Ruzicka on our hands.

Old
06-28-2004, 10:07 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I like Slovaks, they're almost the same breed as Czechs, but Czechs have a demeanor where it seems as if they are owed chances, and wait for things to happen, while Slovaks are hard-nosed, working for every inch and don't quit.

Old
06-28-2004, 10:14 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
I'm pretty sure they are pissed because Pisellini is the type of player who you hate to play against, but like on your team, and he doesn't play on their team. He seems to have potential, and is always willing to throw down. I for one am excited over the pick, the Flyers need some toughness with their prospects.
You've obviously never seen him play! He is tough, no doubt - not afraid of anyone. I'm sure he's a Bertuzzi fan - too bad he doesn't have his skill level.

Old
06-28-2004, 10:31 AM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
From what I have read about the prospects, we got a pretty good group for not picking until 92. The local news paper here where i live had an article about Bellamy and it said that he's going to go through his entire scholarship at the University of Maine, so don't epect anything except development in college for the next four years. He's a leading scorer and was voted as the player of the year.

I like his upside, but I can't tell the future so all of us are going to have to wait four years to see if he was worth the pick. Remember, he was just a third round pick, so unless he relizes potential as a 20 or more goal scorer in college, be happy with a 10 to 15 goal performence.

Old
06-28-2004, 12:43 PM
fan mao rong

Now as to the article on this thread, about Pisselini, I see nothing that says he couldn't be a solid player. He says he will park in front of the net. If he continues in that to the top level, that's a rare commodity. That sort of stuff doesn't appear in the stat sheet, which wipes out most of the methods of evaluation of this crowd. True, I never seen Pissellini play, but I can tell by your jive most of you haven't either. As to the OHL types who purport to, well went to a few games in Erie, last season and read some stuff on here about what went down. Well, let's just say some folks must have been heavily medicated. Most of the evaluations on here are as useful as divining sheep innards.

Old
06-28-2004, 01:11 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan mao rong
Now as to the article on this thread, about Pisselini, I see nothing that says he couldn't be a solid player. He says he will park in front of the net. If he continues in that to the top level, that's a rare commodity. That sort of stuff doesn't appear in the stat sheet, which wipes out most of the methods of evaluation of this crowd. True, I never seen Pissellini play, but I can tell by your jive most of you haven't either. As to the OHL types who purport to, well went to a few games in Erie, last season and read some stuff on here about what went down. Well, let's just say some folks must have been heavily medicated. Most of the evaluations on here are as useful as divining sheep innards.
You think Pisellini is wonderful....... I don't. I've seen him play....... you haven't. Fine - we have a difference of opinion. No big deal. I maintain that there were a lot of good players still available when we picked him, and this was a wasted pick. Time will tell....

Old
06-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Cabana: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=4023
Zarb: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=3977
Anderson: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=4012

Some more good info on these guys.

Old
06-28-2004, 02:43 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Pisellini is being made out to be a goon, but he did have 15 goals and 15 assists in 68 games as a rookie.

Old
06-28-2004, 05:07 PM
lmthaete

Chris Zarb... maybe one of the best picks

Chris Zarb
Defense
NHL CSS Final Ranking: No. 37
Drafted Round 5, No. 144 overall
Played for USHL Tri-City Storm in 03-04
Plans to return to USHL Tri-City Storm for 04-05
Is Committed to Ferris State for 05-06

Here's some information I thought was interesting:

"In Tri-City, the 6-foot, 4-inch, 176-pound Zarb worked his way onto a defensive squad which saw all members sign a Division I Scholarship for next year or the year after... Has gifted hands and even greater gift of size... Can hit along the boards or in open ice... Tallied 4 goals and 20 assissts in 2003-2004, but a greater statistic was his plus/minus rating of +23... Notched 4 assists and a plus/minus rating of +7 in the Clark Cup Playoffs... Will return to Tri-City for another season this fall before embarking on his collegiate career at Ferris State University in 2005-2006... Is one of 7 Tri-City players ranked by the NHL CSS."

That information was retrieved from this ushl.com link:
http://www.ushl.com/news/20040616nhldraftguide2004.pdf

Also... if you are interested in complete stats for the 2003-2004 season:
http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...1&seasonid=258

Old
06-28-2004, 05:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Zarb is a good pick, however it looks as if he is 3 years away from being signed.

Old
06-28-2004, 11:20 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Zarb is a good pick, however it looks as if he is 3 years away from being signed.
With Zarb and Andersson being another season from college, I hope they leave their high schools and try the USHL or something else, instead of wasting another year at a level they've already dominated.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:26 AM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49
I wouldn't have drafted either one to be honest..... Oh well, it could be worse -- we could have drafted Dylan Hunter instead of Buffalo! :lol
Yeah i saw that, I couldn't believe it.

I still am of the opinion McGrath will be a very solid NHLer but he's really slipped.

Closed Thread