HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Patently Absurd Columbus-Nashville Proposal (not Weber, but about as bad)

Old
01-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Patently Absurd Columbus-Nashville Proposal (not Weber, but about as bad)

Somehow, a sarcastic suggestion managed to lodge itself in my head as maybe possible, and now it's refusing to let go until I at least post it. So...

To Columbus:
Ryan Suter
4th 2011

To Nashville:
Jakub Voracek
Fedor Tyutin
Niktia Filatov
1st 2011

Doesn't really need much explanation, does it? Well, at least one tidbit of explanation. Nash isn't included partly because, y'know, captain, but largely because that contract is probably a bit high for Mr. Poile.

("Patently Absurd" seemed more apropos than "Blockbuster", in case you're wondering. Tho admittedly around here they tend to be about the same thing...)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:36 PM
SomeoneGreat

Awful for Columbus.

But that's what it would probably take to pry him out of Nashville...

SomeoneGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:36 PM
JVR21
G

Seems like a hell of a deal for Nashville.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Pyke*

Suter's good, he's not THAT good.

Take out Voracek and maybe it's worthwhile...

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:38 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Suter has officially reached the HF stratosphere of absurdly overrated.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I'd do it for Filatov/Tyutin/1st without hesitation. Suter is the type of defenseman the Jackets have never had and need badly. If Viq's proposal went down, I'd be okay with it though.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Somehow, a sarcastic suggestion managed to lodge itself in my head as maybe possible, and now it's refusing to let go until I at least post it. So...

To Columbus:
Ryan Suter
4th 2011

To Nashville:
Jakub Voracek
Fedor Tyutin
Niktia Filatov
1st 2011

Doesn't really need much explanation, does it? Well, at least one tidbit of explanation. Nash isn't included partly because, y'know, captain, but largely because that contract is probably a bit high for Mr. Poile.

("Patently Absurd" seemed more apropos than "Blockbuster", in case you're wondering. Tho admittedly around here they tend to be about the same thing...)
Oh Viqsi, Viqsi, Viqsi. We are friends, I have personally taken you to Pred games in Nashville. I am a moderator and I should be calm.

What the ****ing hell are you thinking?????

A pure statistical value, yes it's fair. Columbus' 1st is #9 currently. Filatov's value is higher than Radulov's at this moment only because it seems like he's more willing to play in the NHL. If anything, Columbus is giving up a little too much if Filatov is coming to Nashville.

Pure and simple, Suter and Weber ain't leaving. They are the bedrock, the foundation, the TEAM itself.

Nashville is a defensive minded team and it's because of the trinity of Weber, Suter, and Rinne.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Oh Viqsi, Viqsi, Viqsi. We are friends, I have personally taken you to Pred games in Nashville. I am a moderator and I should be calm.

A pure statistical value, yes it's fair. Columbus' 1st is #9 currently. Filatov's value is higher than Radulov's at this moment only because it seems like he's more willing to play in the NHL. If anything, Columbus is giving up a little too much if Filatov is coming to Nashville.

Pure and simple, Suter and Weber ain't leaving. They are the bedrock, the foundation, the TEAM itself.

Nashville is a defensive minded team and it's because of the trinity of Weber, Suter, and Rinne.
I'm aware he's not leaving. But I blame you for the idea, anyways, so you're not allowed to criticize.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

So take out Voracek, and the deal makes a lot of sense for both teams (assuming Filatov is going to play in N.A.)

Old
01-21-2011, 01:09 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I'm aware he's not leaving. But I blame you for the idea, anyways, so you're not allowed to criticize.
Oh it's MY fault. LOL.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:16 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
So take out Voracek, and the deal makes a lot of sense for both teams (assuming Filatov is going to play in N.A.)
Take out Voracek, and you take out the only incentive for Nashville to do it. Suter is a 25 year old franchise defenseman. If anything, take Filatov out...but even with, I'm not sure I'd want Nashville to make the trade.

Tyutin- good...not great...second pairing defenseman
1st round pick(decent...top ten, or close) not much help for the next several years, especially in a draft that's a little sketchy outside the top 5 or so
Filatov- enigmatic Russian, returned to KHL once already. Struggled with consistency and "work ethic issues" that currently see him in the AHL. Not sure Nashville wants to go down that path again.
Voracek- admittedly an attractive piece, but not attractive enough to move Suter for.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Take out Voracek, and you take out the only incentive for Nashville to do it. Suter is a 25 year old franchise defenseman. If anything, take Filatov out...but even with, I'm not sure I'd want Nashville to make the trade.

Tyutin- good...not great...second pairing defenseman
1st round pick(decent...top ten, or close) not much help for the next several years, especially in a draft that's a little sketchy outside the top 5 or so
Filatov- enigmatic Russian, returned to KHL once already. Struggled with consistency and "work ethic issues" that currently see him in the AHL. Not sure Nashville wants to go down that path again.
Voracek- admittedly an attractive piece, but not attractive enough to move Suter for.
I don't regard Suter as the franchise defenseman - so that's a personal bias on my part I guess.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:26 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I don't regard Suter as the franchise defenseman - so that's a personal bias on my part I guess.
Then I'm not sure how familiar you really are with him. Considering only age and performance, there's not 5 defensemen in the league I'd take over him. He's every bit as valuable to the Predators as Shea Weber.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:33 PM
SomeoneGreat

Quote:
Then I'm not sure how familiar you really are with him. Considering only age and performance, there's not 5 defensemen in the league I'd take over him. He's every bit as valuable to the Predators as Shea Weber.
I would go a step further and argue that Suter is more valuable than Weber. While Weber has more of the "wow" factor, Suter IMO is the better all-around defenceman.

Although I can't imagine this is a very popular opinion.

SomeoneGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:33 PM
williamirven

Isn't Suter an UFA next season? I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded next year for a package with substantially less value than the one proposed here.

williamirven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Really? Not 5?

Doughty.
Chara.
Keith.
Weber.
Green.

There's a whole host of defensemen I would take over Suter too if we're talking about "Players I'd rather have on my team if I could do an NHL Fantasy Draft today".

I like Suter. He's a great No. 2... but he's not top 5 (or top 30).

Old
01-21-2011, 01:47 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Really? Not 5?

Doughty.
Chara.
Keith.
Weber.
Green.

There's a whole host of defensemen I would take over Suter too if we're talking about "Players I'd rather have on my team if I could do an NHL Fantasy Draft today".

Chara is getting on in years. I view Keith and Suter as relatively equal(if you'll take a gander over on the poll board, you'll see popular opinion ranks them about equal as well--in fact, last I checked, Suter was winning that one. Not the end-all, but on a relatively intelligent hockey board, it's a good measure of opinion). If you're basing this on points alone\fantasy value, then maybe you take someone like Green or Doughty over Suter...but in terms of on ice play, there's no way. Suter may top out at 40-50 points, but he does so while playing in every situation for 27 minutes a night and playing a stifling shutdown game with a nice physical streak.

Depending on your preferences, you could maybe say Suter is top 10, top 15 at worst...but top 30....you're essentially saying every team in the league has a defenseman of equal or greater ability to Suter, and that's beyond absurd. You're just not familiar enough with him.

I'll go a step further...

There's not a defenseman of Suter's style (two way, with emphasis on defense) in the entire league that I would take over him. He's that good.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Chara is getting on in years. I view Keith and Suter as relatively equal(if you'll take a gander over on the poll board, you'll see popular opinion ranks them about equal as well--in fact, last I checked, Suter was winning that one. Not the end-all, but on a relatively intelligent hockey board, it's a good measure of opinion). If you're basing this on points alone\fantasy value, then maybe you take someone like Green or Doughty over Suter...but in terms of on ice play, there's no way. Suter may top out at 40-50 points, but he does so while playing in every situation for 27 minutes a night and playing a stifling shutdown game with a nice physical streak.

Depending on your preferences, you could maybe say Suter is top 10, top 15 at worst...but top 30....you're essentially saying every team in the league has a defenseman of equal or greater ability to Suter, and that's beyond absurd. You're just not familiar enough with him.

I'll go a step further...

There's not a defenseman of Suter's style (two way, with emphasis on defense) in the entire league that I would take over him. He's that good.
No, I'm saying if I did a fantasy draft today, with all the defenders in a pool, I can think of a combination of 30 guys I would pick before Suter.

I think Suter might be better than some of those guys now, but if we're including potential in the equation, not a chance.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

you're basically giving up 3 years of drafts/development.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

IMO, Suter is a #1 defenseman. He's not a top 10 defenseman. Maybe top 15, probably more in the 20ish range though.

This is overpayment on Columbus' part, but it's the kind of overpayment that would be required to get someone like Suter. There's no question that Columbus gets the best player in the trade, but they give away both a lot of future potential and current roster pieces at the same time.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Quote:
Really? Not 5?

Doughty.
Chara.
Keith.
Weber.
Green.

Green? really?

As much as I like Suter, a bit too much from Blue Jackets. Maybe take out Filatov, and some other minor tweak

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneGreat View Post
I would go a step further and argue that Suter is more valuable than Weber. While Weber has more of the "wow" factor, Suter IMO is the better all-around defenceman.

Although I can't imagine this is a very popular opinion.
Surprisingly, it is very popular among die-hard Preds fans, including myself. When Suter went down with injuries, Weber simply looked lost out there without him, and the team's record suffered greatly. Suter is both more valuable and better than Weber, and that's no shot at Shea.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:07 PM
SpezDispenser

Way too much from Columbus. If I'm Nashville, this deal happens.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:09 PM
wej20

Nashville is the team in the league that Filatov has the least value to.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
No, I'm saying if I did a fantasy draft today, with all the defenders in a pool, I can think of a combination of 30 guys I would pick before Suter.

I think Suter might be better than some of those guys now, but if we're including potential in the equation, not a chance.
I'd love to see your list of 30 defensemen you would pick before Suter.

I agree he's not top 5, but you went a little too far

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote