HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Playing D in a non-contact league

Old
01-18-2011, 12:37 PM
nesford2457

vCash: 500
Playing D in a non-contact league

I play D in a non-contact beer league and find it very difficult. Since I am unable body check anyone people contantly just shield the puck with there body and wait until I go after there stick to quickly pull or drag the puck around me. Anyone have an opinion on better ways to play D without hitting?

nesford2457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

step up and give them no room to move. if it's a beer league, they should let you play the body without putting your shoulder into his chest

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:00 PM
DJnet65

There are only leagues that are no checking leagues, there is no such thing as non-contact hockey.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Gap management, take away the middle of the ice, play them tight, steer them into the wall, etc. It's definitely a different mindset and strategy, but it's very possible to play strong defense without body checking.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:11 PM
ponder

Watch Lidstrom

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:14 PM
nesford2457

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJnet65 View Post
There are only leagues that are no checking leagues, there is no such thing as non-contact hockey.
Any advice hockey God?

Old
01-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesford2457 View Post
Any advice hockey God?
Watch guys like Duncan Keith or Niklas Lidstrom play defense.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Turboflex*

You can still use your body mostly the same way, push people away, block them off. You just cant knock people down with your shoulder.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:27 PM
nesford2457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
Watch guys like Duncan Keith or Niklas Lidstrom play defense.
I apreciate the advise and although these D you guys are listing don't primarely use there bodies to get the forward off the puck the forward still has think about it and play as if they will be body checked. In the league I play in there is no checking and the forwards know it. When they come in the zone they hold the puck on there forehand far to the outside while turing there body twords the indside putting the puck almost in line with there outside shoulder making it very difficult to poke or even swipe at the puck. When I make a play at the puck they either quickly drag the puck tight to there body make a small cut and i'm toasted, or they take a quick wrister using me as the screen.

Old
01-18-2011, 02:32 PM
nesford2457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
You can still use your body mostly the same way, push people away, block them off. You just cant knock people down with your shoulder.
I try this the only two problems I have is one, the refs are so inconsistent in my league some refs won't let you even come in contact with the guy while others will call nothing. Two when I try this I find myself backing off to much afraid of knocking the guy over and just end up looking like an idiot.

Old
01-18-2011, 02:34 PM
predfan24

If they are protecting the puck on their forehand and you are forcing them to the wall then the shot they take is going to be at a bad angle. Don't try to go around his body and fish for the puck. Of course you are going to get burned then. Just keep pushing him towards the boards and he will eventually run out of room.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Skraut

Yes, that was the hardest thing for me to learn. Non Checking does not mean Non Contact.
  • Use your body. Don't be afraid to use it to guide them into the boards. If there's a gap between you and the boards, and they go for it, don't be afraid to shrink that gap. They chose to go there.
  • Know what they're going, and get their first. If your opponent is streaking down the wing, he's going to make a break for the net, usually about the time he hits the faceoff dot. Don't follow him, go where he's going, charge at the corner of your net. You'll get there first, and be in a position to make him make the move.
  • If they're planted in front of the net don't be afraid to move them out of the way, it's YOUR net. Just get behind them, put your stick on them and push. Don't hit them with the stick, but it to guide them out from the front of your net.
  • Lift their stick. Even if the puck is nowhere near them, lift their stick. Get them thinking about you, what you're going to do, not about the puck and what they're going to do with it.
  • When all else fails, fall back. It's a lot better if the player goes around you if you're in the slot close to the crease because he doesn't have much space to get a shot off on goal. If he goes around you at the blue line, your goalie will start cursing you out.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Turboflex*

you can still stand them up just be a bit more gentle and don't follow through, that way they dont go flying and you don't get a penalty, you are still allowed to do some blocking.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Hoser

As others said, watch Lidstrom.

I don't know; to many people playing D is about lining people up to be hit, and to me that's the wrong way of going about it. The Dion Phaneuf school of defence so to speak. A lot of people will tell you that goalie is the most important position on a given team but I think it's defence. Play it right and you'll give up few scoring chances and help your forwards create many.

Don't forget that you dictate the play, really. For example the opposing forward isn't protecting the puck because he wants to, he's protecting it because he has to! Use your position to cut off his lanes of movement and passing. Get in his way. Force him to either run into you or run into the boards. He'll have to pass the puck (giving you a chance to take it from him), take a crappy shot from a bad angle that your goalie should save, or cut across into open ice (which should give you a better chance to take the puck from him).

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Briere Up There*

Keep your stick in the path of their stick and follow their body.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:01 PM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

still play the man still use your body

just dont body check
play physical still

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

In that case, I'd back off them a bit and play more to the inside of the ice, and as they start to go wide, turn to skate hard at them to try and push them to the boards.

Old
01-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
In that case, I'd back off them a bit and play more to the inside of the ice, and as they start to go wide, turn to skate hard at them to try and push them to the boards.
Yep, nothing wrong with a good board squeeze. Just because you can't hit them into it doesn't mean you still can't put them into it.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:32 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesford2457 View Post
I apreciate the advise and although these D you guys are listing don't primarely use there bodies to get the forward off the puck the forward still has think about it and play as if they will be body checked. In the league I play in there is no checking and the forwards know it. When they come in the zone they hold the puck on there forehand far to the outside while turing there body twords the indside putting the puck almost in line with there outside shoulder making it very difficult to poke or even swipe at the puck. When I make a play at the puck they either quickly drag the puck tight to there body make a small cut and i'm toasted, or they take a quick wrister using me as the screen.
I'm not really seeing the problem. Ignore the puck and maintain positioning. They'll still have to skate through you to get to the net. Maintain your gaps and use body positioning to keep them to the outside. Their only options are to pass, shoot from outside, or skate through you. Just because you can't smash a guy doesn't mean that you have to let him walk right through you.

As a defenseman, if body checking is the basis for your defensive game, you're in trouble anyway regardless of the rules.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:37 PM
mobilus

Don't watch the forward's chest, don't watch the puck... watch his feet. For all his toe dragging, head faking and shoulder dropping.... he's going to go in the direction his feet are facing. Stay between his toes and your net, and his options are cut. Watching his feet also allows you to see the puck with your peripheral vision. You can poke check as a secondary act, but primary remains keeping yourself between his toes and the net.

mobilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:39 PM
ean

Defensive zone:
-On 1 on 1's, play the body, if someone tries to dangle you don't even look at the puck, just play the man's body, meaning hands directly to face.
-Clear the crease. Repeated, solid crosschecks to the back between padding should do the trick. Remember, no contact doesn't mean no chris pronger.

Offensive zone:
-Pinch. A lot. Especially if you're the last D back. Then blame forwards for not backchecking.
-Shoot high. Like head high. Trust me, forwards like it there for deflections.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:41 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Defensive zone:
-On 1 on 1's, play the body, if someone tries to dangle you don't even look at the puck, just play the man's body, meaning hands directly to face.
-Clear the crease. Repeated, solid crosschecks to the back between padding should do the trick. Remember, no contact doesn't mean no chris pronger.

Offensive zone:
-Pinch. A lot. Especially if you're the last D back. Then blame forwards for not backchecking.
To add the the second D-zone point, you're clearing the crease so that you can stand in front of your goalie. Don't let that other guy have your spot!

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Offensive zone:

That's like the template for how I play defense.

Actually I'm fairly conservative on the pinch, but I still blame the forwards. And when I play forward, I blame the defense when it was my turnover

I am though the KING of the head shots. Last game I played D, I got one of our guys in the shoulder, one of them in the chest, and one of them ducked out of the way. I also hit the crossbar and missed two shots high and wide.

Old
01-18-2011, 04:14 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Yep, nothing wrong with a good board squeeze. Just because you can't hit them into it doesn't mean you still can't put them into it.
Yeah this would be my advice as well. I like to kind of pinch them into the boards to slow them down. As long as you keep your feet moving you should be fine. The key is to not stop your feet at all. If you are stationary you will get called for interference.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:11 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Defensive zone:

Offensive zone:
If all else fails. Blame your teammates for not hustling and dangerous slewfoots seem to work.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote