HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2011- Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2011, 11:12 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Therefore if we're being consistent in the competition argument, that chops like a quarter of Bourques longevity off.. otherwise we need to give Lidstrom some more credit. .
Those years can be chopped off if you like, but then that chops off two Norrises for Lidstrom as well.

Bourque has as many elite seasons against great competition, as Lidstrom has at all. Sure, those elite seasons later on, when competition weakened, may not be as impressive, but Lidstrom's cadre of elite seasons is made up entirely of those, not just partially.

Old
01-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
I got lucky to pick Lidstrom at number 12 , the only reason I acquire this pick was for a defenseman , and if Lidstrom had gone out I would have been forced to pick ******* at 12 or make a deal.Was not very excited about a Gretzky-Richard start.

Last edited by Jafar: 01-27-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old
01-27-2011, 11:21 AM
hungryhungryhippy

Gretzky-Richard would tear it up!

Old
01-27-2011, 11:23 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
I would have been forced to pick xxxxxx at 12
Was he drafted yet? Or is this another mentioning of an undrafted player?

Old
01-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhungryhippy View Post
Gretzky-Richard would tear it up!
Not worth getting rid of my 78th and 82th picks and more just to draft a top winger to put beside Gretzky.My defense would have been horrible.I prefer having Gretzky-Lidstrom by far.Easier to built around...or is it? Never done it

I'm confortable for the moment but maybe I'll get nervous as all those players get drafted till my 3rd pick.

Old
01-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni Mania View Post
Was he drafted yet? Or is this another mentioning of an undrafted player?
jesus I just can't put this rule in my head im sorry again but please dont quote it.

Old
01-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Not worth getting rid of my 78th and 82th picks and more just to draft a top winger to put beside Gretzky.My defense would have been horrible.I prefer having Gretzky-Lidstrom by far.Easier to built around...or is it? Never done it.
Building a champion around Gretzky/Richard in a 40 team draft would take an absolute masterpiece of GMing. You made the right decision with Lidstrom.

Old
01-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Building a champion around Gretzky/Richard in a 40 team draft would take an absolute masterpiece of GMing. You made the right decision with Lidstrom.
It wasnt my decision , Thedevilmademe took Richard before me , but when I traded for 12th overall I was definately looking for a D , and more specifically Denis Potvin , but Lidstrom is a golden plan B.Even if TDMM took Lidstrom , I would have picked a ''weaker'' D or made a deal to go down.

I got really scared when Bourque and Potvin went out , I was expecting one of the 3 at the very least.
Close call , got lucky.

Old
01-27-2011, 12:21 PM
vancityluongo
weeoo

Quote:
Not worth getting rid of my 78th and 82th picks and more just to draft a top winger to put beside Gretzky.My defense would have been horrible.I prefer having Gretzky-Lidstrom by far.Easier to built around...or is it? Never done it

I'm confortable for the moment but maybe I'll get nervous as all those players get drafted till my 3rd pick.
You wouldn't have HAD to put Richard beside Gretzky...there would always be the option of building a second line around Richard, with the Great One on the first...then stack the first unit PP for an absolutely lethal duo.

But yeah, you made the right call with Lidstrom, so that's a moot point.

Old
01-27-2011, 12:25 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
In the first half of his career, Beliveau played on a much more talent laden team, including guys like Richard and Harvey. Having 3 of the top 10(arguably) players in NHL history on the same team would certainly take away from individual performances dominating a game. In the second half of his career, the Montreal teams still had some extremely good players, and the majority of those guys will be selected in this ATD. In Beliveau's last 7 years, they won 5 cups. There was a 4 year stretch in between cups that was sort of a changing of the guard if you will. The first year of that lull was the year after The Rocket retired. Then the next year he played the fewest games of any full season he was with the team. During this time, certain guys were getting older and becoming less effective while a new faces were being interjected into the team. Also during this time, Harvey was traded away. Jean was always described as an unselfish player, and that likely took away from some of his point totals because he wasn't always trying to be in the spotlight.
i read the same in newspapers while looking for some information about beliveau's TOI. i have found nothing about TOI so far.

even young beliveau was described as basically the ultimate team player--eager to learn, unselfish, modest, intelligent, trying to help teammates, unconcerned with personal stats.

Frank Selke contrasted Beliveau with Richard:
Quote:
With Maurice, his moves are powered by instinctive reflexes. Maurice can't learn from lectures. He does everything by instinct and with sheer power. Beliveau, on the other hand, is probably the classiest hockey player I've ever seen. He has a flair for giving you his hockey as a master showman. He is a perfect coach's hockey player because he studies and learns. He's moving and planning all the time, thinking out the play required for each situation. The difference between the two best hockey players in the game today is simply this: Beliveau is a perfectionist, Richard is an opportunist.
i guess selke thought richard was better than howe in '56. in '61, selke said howe was the greatest player in history, "with seemingly limitless assets," and that "there has never been a player able to do so many things so effectively on a hockey rink."

beliveau was said to not have richard's desire to score goals, which i took as a good quality. richard apparently had an almost singular focus on scoring goals.

a week or 2 ago, i read a column in the montreal gazette which mentioned that richard claimed he scored the goal, and that his teammate did not. i have seen video of richard intentionally throwing the puck into the net, and then celebrating.
in a 1962 article in the montreal gazette about the greatest players in history, frank selke said richard shot from everywhere at any opportunity. must be an exaggeration, but it is consistent with other comments about him as being very strongly focused on scoring goals.

when i was thinking over which player to pick at 7, i thought richard has similar negative qualities of 2 of the other players i was considering: shore (temper/discipline) and hull (too focused on goals/individual play).

Old
01-27-2011, 01:17 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
i read the same in newspapers while looking for some information about beliveau's TOI. i have found nothing about TOI so far.

even young beliveau was described as basically the ultimate team player--eager to learn, unselfish, modest, intelligent, trying to help teammates, unconcerned with personal stats.

Frank Selke contrasted Beliveau with Richard:

i guess selke thought richard was better than howe in '56. in '61, selke said howe was the greatest player in history, "with seemingly limitless assets," and that "there has never been a player able to do so many things so effectively on a hockey rink."

beliveau was said to not have richard's desire to score goals, which i took as a good quality. richard apparently had an almost singular focus on scoring goals.

a week or 2 ago, i read a column in the montreal gazette which mentioned that richard claimed he scored the goal, and that his teammate did not. i have seen video of richard intentionally throwing the puck into the net, and then celebrating.
in a 1962 article in the montreal gazette about the greatest players in history, frank selke said richard shot from everywhere at any opportunity. must be an exaggeration, but it is consistent with other comments about him as being very strongly focused on scoring goals.

when i was thinking over which player to pick at 7, i thought richard has similar negative qualities of 2 of the other players i was considering: shore (temper/discipline) and hull (too focused on goals/individual play).
I agree with you 100%. This is exactly what my own research has uncovered as well.

Old
01-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
163. [color=”red”]Rick Middleton & Sturminator - Gwinnett Gladiators –[/color]
Sweet formatting fail, Bettman! Apparently, the HTML filters on this site are case sensitive. You need a big "R" in that red, cowboy.

Old
01-27-2011, 02:17 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Sweet formatting fail, Bettman! Apparently, the HTML filters on this site are case sensitive. You need a big "R" in that red, cowboy.
wow, I'd have never guessed.

they're not all case-sensitive. bold, italics, quotes, youtube are not.

Old
01-27-2011, 02:29 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Here's something from a former NHL ref that also compares Howe, Richard, and Beliveau:

Quote:
For years any controversy over who was the best player in hockey has been pretty well confined to right wingers Maurice Richard of Montreal and Gordie Howe of Detroit.

Now Bill Chadwick, former NHL referee, injects the name of Montreal's "Le Gros Bill" centre Jean Beliveau.

Chadwick said, "Beliveau is the best I have ever seen", and "smarter" than the Rocket. "You never seen Beliveau give the puck away. There isn't anything he can't do." Referring to his bullet shot, Chadwick added: "Some guys can put it through the building but miss the net. Beliveau never misses."
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...beliveau&hl=en

Old
01-27-2011, 02:34 PM
seventieslord

My god, what a nightmare. That actually took six tries. three to realize the issue was with the quotation marks, and three more to change them all back properly. (word changed from two curved inwards on the word, to two curved to the left, and finally after find/replace didn't do it, I had to manually change them.

Like seriously, since when does the same key produce different recognized characters? I was using Times New Roman in word, but the default font in an hfboards text window is no font - it formats the way you tell it - so how did it manage to treat the pasted in quotation marks from word, as though they were characters other than quotation marks? Beats me.

Old
01-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
My god, what a nightmare. That actually took six tries. three to realize the issue was with the quotation marks, and three more to change them all back properly. (word changed from two curved inwards on the word, to two curved to the left, and finally after find/replace didn't do it, I had to manually change them.

Like seriously, since when does the same key produce different recognized characters? I was using Times New Roman in word, but the default font in an hfboards text window is no font - it formats the way you tell it - so how did it manage to treat the pasted in quotation marks from word, as though they were characters other than quotation marks? Beats me.
How old is your copy of word? Or were you using wordpad? I'm not sure when Word made the switch to Unicode as standard formatting, but that could be your issue. I know that the useless wordpad does not use unicode. Character encoding and recognition is more complicated than most people think.

Old
01-27-2011, 04:11 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
How old is your copy of word? Or were you using wordpad? I'm not sure when Word made the switch to Unicode as standard formatting, but that could be your issue. I know that the useless wordpad does not use unicode. Character encoding and recognition is more complicated than most people think.
pretty old. here at work we use Word 2002.

Old
01-27-2011, 04:11 PM
advantage2006

I'll be making my pick within an hour or so. Just in a lecture right now.

Old
01-27-2011, 04:21 PM
advantage2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Yikes, we probably should of picked up on that before he was ok'd as a GM.
No need to. Like I said when I signed up for the draft, I was just brought back to the All-Time Draft. I don't really find much else interesting on the site, since it reminds me more of high school drama then anything else.

Old
01-27-2011, 04:34 PM
thatguy17

i'd just like everyone to know that my buddy saltystyle7 has become a co-gm on mmy team, thanks to mr.bugg annd seventies for allowing it

Old
01-27-2011, 05:06 PM
seventieslord

oh yeah, I meant to announce that. the OP is already updatd.

Old
01-27-2011, 05:06 PM
seventieslord

and.... advantage2006 really is a legit user!

woot woot!

Old
01-27-2011, 05:11 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage2006 View Post
No need to. Like I said when I signed up for the draft, I was just brought back to the All-Time Draft. I don't really find much else interesting on the site, since it reminds me more of high school drama then anything else.
Great to hear, Good luck with your pick.

Old
01-27-2011, 05:11 PM
advantage2006

With my first pick ever in the ATD, I wanted a complete player who brings a lot of intangibles to the game. Therefore, I select: C: Stan Mikita

Stan Mikita, C

- 5'9", 169 lbs
- Member of the HHOF
- Stanley Cup (1961)
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1962, 1965, 1968, 1971, 1973)
- Art Ross Trophy (1964, 1965, 1967, 1968).
- Retro Conn Smythe Trophy (1962)
- Hart Trophy (1967, 1968)
- Top-7 in Hart Voting 7 Times (1st, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th)
- NHL 1st All-Star Team (1962, 1963, 1964, 1966, 1967, 1968)
- NHL 2nd All-Star Team (1965, 1970)
- Also finished 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 6th in All- Star Voting
- Retro Selke Awarded by Ultimate Hockey (1968, 1971)
- Top-20 in Goals 10 Times (2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 12th, 15th, 16th)
- Top-20 in Assists 14 Times (1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 20th)
- Top-20 in Points 14 Times (1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 12th, 15th, 15th, 15th, 17th)
- Top-10 in Playoff Goals 7 Times (1st, 4th, 6th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 8th)
- Top-10 in Playoff Assists 7 Times (1st, 4th, 4th, 5th, 5th, 5th, 8th)
- Top-10 in Playoff Points 8 Times (1st, 4th, 4th, 6th, 6th, 6th, 8th, 8th)
- Career adjusted +136 post expansion (covers just age 27 to 39)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Blackhawks Legends
Described as hockey's ultimate playmaker, his skill and finesse game was often overlooked by his vicious stick work and aggression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
One of the most clever and successful forwards in league history, Stan "Stosh" Mikita won awards in numbers not seen again until Wayne Gretzky arrived in the NHL. A slick playmaker with a gifted scoring touch, Mikita had a career that spanned four decades, from the late 1950s until 1980. His longevity and consistency were nearly as impressive as his raw talent and left him near the top of a number of NHL categories when he retired after 22 seasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX XXXXXX
"Stan is a miserable little pain in the butt. He'd cross-check you, he'd spear you in the belly. You'd be going around the back of the net, and he'd spear you in the calf. Down you'd go."
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX XXXX
"I have to say that I have never seen a better center. Maybe some could do one thing better than Stan, like skating faster or shooting harder. But none of them could do all the things that a center has to do as well as Stan does. And very few of them came close to being as smart as he is. He's about the brightest hockey player I've ever seen. He's a hard nosed hockey player. One of his biggest assets is that he has got a lot of pride."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gregory
He's one of the best all-around hockey players I've seen in my life. It is just his misfortune that two superstars on the same team cannot share the popularity equally. One is always the darling of the fans while the other works hard for the slightest applause.

Old
01-27-2011, 05:18 PM
advantage2006

I messaged Nighthawk by the way.

Closed Thread