HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2011- Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Derick*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Derick*
I thought it would be interesting to look at Lemieux's peak scoring relative to his peers http://hkref.com/tiny/t9Uwq, and Howe's http://hkref.com/tiny/89tBk. Just looked at their career stat and picked a ~5 year period that looked like their peak.

Old
01-25-2011, 05:38 PM
thatguy17

what do u think will happen if someone picks all active players?

Old
01-25-2011, 05:40 PM
DoMakc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy17 View Post
seventies won't be happy

Old
01-25-2011, 05:42 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
They would probably finish at the bottom of the standings. Sure, there are some beauty active players who will be in the HHOF on the first ballot, but you're short-changing yourself if you draft only those playing today.

Old
01-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
You would be short changing yourself just as much as if you only picked players whose names start with certain letters.

Old
01-25-2011, 06:49 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Look at the teams who have won the ''Cup'' here. They're all 75% or more vintage players.

Old
01-25-2011, 06:51 PM
JFA87-66-99

Wow, I can't beileve Mario fell to #5, What a deal for the Guelph Storm. The most offensively talented player of all-time in my mind.

Old
01-25-2011, 06:56 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Look at the teams who have won the ''Cup'' here. They're all 75% or more vintage players.
Depends on your definition of vintage. If vintage is anything pre-expansion, well, that covers a LOT of eras.

Old
01-25-2011, 06:59 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
In the ATD and MLD the value isn't there. But in the AAA or the AA draft, there's value.

Very few active players have had all-time great careers and most of them are pushing retirement.

If one is not interested in hockey history then this may not be the draft for them. I forced myself to look into the past and it has been a fun ride.

Old
01-25-2011, 07:00 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
Depends on your definition of vintage. If vintage is anything pre-expansion, well, that covers a LOT of eras.
Id consider a modern player someone who started their career in the late 70's or early 80's.

Old
01-25-2011, 07:05 PM
jarek

Quote:
Id consider a modern player someone who started their career in the late 70's or early 80's.
Dude.. then your idea of vintage is about 90 years of hockey, compared to about 40 for modern guys..

Old
01-25-2011, 07:06 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
Dude.. then your idea of vintage is about 90 years of hockey, compared to about 40 for modern guys..
Vintage is 20's-60's IMO.

Old
01-25-2011, 07:08 PM
jarek

Quote:
Vintage is 20's-60's IMO.
Than what's in between? Semi-vintage? >_>

Old
01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Hey all,

I'm up, but I didn't think the draft would be starting this early, so I'm not prepared to pick quite yet. Since I'm not technically on the clock (draft doesn't officially start for a few days), let me take this opportunity to make the first dickish move of the draft and say:

My 6th overall pick is on the trading block, PM me with any offers

If I don't get any decent offers by tomorrow morning, I'm sure I'll have worked out my pick by then and I'll select somebody. I have to say, I'm torn between quite a few options with this pick and it's gonna take some pondering. I probably wouldn't be making a pick til very late tonight anyways, even if I wasn't entertaining trade offers.

Cheers Gentlemen.

Old
01-25-2011, 07:23 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Quote:
Considering organized pro hockey has been going for roughly 100 years now, that person would be really limiting their options, which would probably result in a weak team. It would be damn hard to make a competitive team with all modern guys, when you consider than a good percentage of the best players in the NHL right now have only been at it for 5 or so years and lack some career value.

Old
01-25-2011, 07:25 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Hey all,

I'm up, but I didn't think the draft would be starting this early, so I'm not prepared to pick quite yet. Since I'm not technically on the clock (draft doesn't officially start for a few days), let me take this opportunity to make the first dickish move of the draft and say:

My 6th overall pick is on the trading block, PM me with any offers.

If I don't get any decent offers by tomorrow morning, I'm sure I'll have worked out my pick by then and I'll select somebody. I have to say, I'm torn between quite a few options with this pick and it's gonna take some pondering. I probably wouldn't be making a pick til very late tonight anyways, even if I wasn't entertaining trade offers.

Cheers Gentlemen.
same

and now i have more time to weigh the options.

Old
01-25-2011, 07:29 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
same

and now i have more time to weigh the options.
Come on boys it's down to like 3 or 4 players at these spots lets get this thing rollin'.

Old
01-25-2011, 07:34 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Come on boys it's down to like 3 or 4 players at these spots lets get this thing rollin'.
i will pick quickly after arrbez, unless i am not here.

and if not here, i will pick quickly after i arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I'll bet someone a taco I know who Bugg is planning on taking with his 3 picks!
i probably know which players you have in mind, but i can think of a similar set of players.

Last edited by nik jr: 01-25-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old
01-25-2011, 08:05 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Now I can finally say it:

With all due respect to EB, I had a bigger "wtf?" moment when he picked Doug Harvey #4 than I did when markrander picked Mario Lemieux #3 in the last draft.

(Of course, I was biased last draft, as I was the one getting Gordie Howe at 4, so maybe that's it).

Edit: Basically I'm a lot less scared with Harvey in my division than I would have been with Mario in the division (and Mario is who I thought EB was aiming for). We'll see how things play out.
I don't think I'm the first GM to pick Doug Harvey #4. I think it happen a couple of drafts ago. My favourite team I ever assemble (And IMO my best, better than the one I won it all with), I also took a defenseman in the top-10, over the 'consensus' pick available.

As I said earlier, I think Mario Lemieux is better than Doug Harvey if we list them (Lemieux is #4 on my list, Harvey #7). When we're building a team like we're doing right now, my opinion is that the difference shrink tremendously, almost making them a coin toss. Why did I chose Harvey over Lemieux? Because Harvey is one, is not THE easiest player to build a team around. Dreakmur describe it the best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur
Harvey is likely the best defensive defenseman of all time. If he's not the best, he's certainly one of the top few. In addition, he's also one of the best offensive defensemen - not top 5, but likely top 10. He's also one of the best play-off performers ever. Add into the mix that he's also a very tough and aggressive phyical player, a great leader, and has a great peak along with excellent longevity.

Basically, Harvey has no holes in his game. He can be one of the best shut-down defensemen in the draft and also be one of the best on the powerplay. He can be the stay-at-home for an offensive guy or he can be the puck-mover for a defenseive guy.
It's actually a beginner move selecting Harvey over Lemieux. Lemieux might be 100%, whereas Harvey is 95% (I'm not even sure the difference is that big). I might look like I'm always on the board lately, and I surely am, but I'm moving out west tomorrow, and my time on the Internet may just drastically go down in the next week and for a couple of months. I definitely won't have the same time to research as I had in the last few drafts.

I also consider the fact that if I take Lemieux now, I will have to take a defenseman at #77 or #84, and by experience I feel like the BPA at those spot are forwards. Just there, I think this outdraw the difference between Lemieux and Harvey.

I'm happy you're less scared of a EB team with Harvey than Lemieux. I'll show what I can do with the 2nd best D-Man of All-Time on my team!

And for the record, I could of very well traded up for #5 or #6 and I would of selected Harvey anyway (if available). It look controversial trading up to #4 and not selecting Lemieux, but he never was really in my plans.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:55 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Hey all,

My 6th overall pick is on the trading block, PM me with any offers

Cheers Gentlemen.
You really haven't been following the draft if you think this is the first dickish move anyone has done.

Old
01-25-2011, 11:37 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
You really haven't been following the draft if you think this is the first dickish move anyone has done.
Who's the crazy idiot that tried such a thing ?

Old
01-25-2011, 11:46 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Quote:
Haha, not at all. I'm scrambling to get my **** together here.

Old
01-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
The ATD#10 champs had modern players at both scoringline center positions, #1 defensemen and in goal. It can be done.

Old
01-26-2011, 10:30 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Hey guys,

So I do have a trade to announce. Thanks to the people who sent offers out. While I did get some trade offers that would have probably added value in the long run, the offer that I've decided puts me in the best position to execute my diabolical plans was a complete swap of draft positions with papershoes. Basically, from here on out I'll be the 19th pick, and he'll be the 6th pick, applicable in all rounds.

For those counting,

I get:

19,62,99,142,179,222,259,302,339,382,419,462,499,5 42,579,622,659,702,739,782,819,862,899,942,979

papershoes gets:

6,75,86,155,166,235,246,315,326,395,406,475,486,55 5,566,635,646,715,726,795,806,875,886,955,966

So he's up at #6. Thanks for your patience gentlemen.

Old
01-26-2011, 10:38 AM
papershoes

and the love affair with defencemen continues...

kenora is pleased to select:

#2 eddie shore - defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe pelletier
Absolutely fearless and unbelievably talented, Shore was indestructible. Perhaps the best way to describe him would be to say he was an early day Gordie Howe who played on the blueline. It certainly wouldn't be a stretch to say that. No one who hit as hard as he did was ever hit harder - or more often - in return.

Shore's style was all his own. Pugnacious and downright mean, he was also very skilled.

Almost as amazing was his ability to play the entire game! He would average 50-55 minutes a contest. Well, at least in games when he wasn't spending that much time in the penalty box!

He is the only defenseman to ever win the Hart Trophy on 4 occasions. He also was on an NHL all star team 8 times, and was part of two Stanley Cup winning teams in 1929 and 1939.
Quote:
Originally Posted by legends of hockey
An imposing blend of raw talent and intimidation, defenseman Eddie Shore was one of the greatest ever to play his position in any era and his end-to-end rushes became every bit as famous as his crushing bodychecks and nasty disposition.

Closed Thread