HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glennie vs. Campbell

View Poll Results: Which player will make a bigger impact five years from now?
Jack Campbell 30 76.92%
Scott Glennie 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Glennie vs. Campbell

Five years from now, which player do you think will make a bigger impact on our Stars?

Many on this board seem nonplussed with either one, considering who was on the board when we chose them.

Our goalie pipeline still seems a bit cloudy, with Kari playing great, Raycroft still on for another year, and Bachman and Besko still waiting in the wings. Add Campbell to that, and I have no idea how things will turn out in the coming years.

Glennie's gone from a "we drafted who?" to an HF celebrity of sorts, and could conceivably make the team out of camp next season given our questionable depth at RW.

Both seem to have had ups and downs since we drafted them, and it may be a while before we see either one at the AAC. But long-term, which player will pay off the most?

What say you, fellow Stars fans?

01-18-2011, 03:45 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

vCash: 500
I think Glennie will end up with a decent second line career, 40-50 points and probably mostly assists. Could see him as a Tanguay-like playmaking RW. Then again they're playing him at C down in the juniors, so who knows how he'll devleop.

I see Campbell going through a similar progression as Bernier. I don't think we're going to see Campbell as the starter for a good 5 for 6 years. I personally hope they don't rush him and handle him like Detroit handled Howard. If Kari goes down or regresses before his contract is up and is not re-signed, I could see them rushing him more.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:46 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Five years from now, which player do you think will make a bigger impact on our Stars?

Many on this board seem nonplussed with either one, considering who was on the board when we chose them.

Our goalie pipeline still seems a bit cloudy, with Kari playing great, Raycroft still on for another year, and Bachman and Besko still waiting in the wings. Add Campbell to that, and I have no idea how things will turn out in the coming years.

Glennie's gone from a "we drafted who?" to an HF celebrity of sorts, and could conceivably make the team out of camp next season given our questionable depth at RW.

Both seem to have had ups and downs since we drafted them, and it may be a while before we see either one at the AAC. But long-term, which player will pay off the most?

What say you, fellow Stars fans?
I think Glennie is a 2nd liner
I think Campbell is a starting goaltender
I picked Campbell but its almost too close to call for me, weighing all the factors. Our depth at G could mean a great goalie line campbell ends up as trade bait.

Im still not thrilled with the selection of either one of these players, but i do think both will be good nhlers.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Starsdude

Glennie is nowhere close to a second liner although he may end up being a second liner or nothing. His ability to generate offense without a top center is questionable and his effort and defense are suspect. He will need alot of time at Cedar Park if he is going to makeit. He will likely have to change his game which is always tough.

Campbell will be an likely be an NHL starter at some point

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:42 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Glennie is nowhere close to a second liner although he may end up being a second liner or nothing. His ability to generate offense without a top center is questionable and his effort and defense are suspect. He will need alot of time at Cedar Park if he is going to makeit. He will likely have to change his game which is always tough.

Good thing we have top centers.

anyway i think people are being way too hard on Glennie in general. Hes what 20? Hes got a long way to go. 18-21 year olds as forces in the NHL is actually pretty rare.

Old
01-18-2011, 05:12 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Voted for Campbell because I think there's a decent chance Glennie gets traded before he ever makes it to Dallas whereas Campbell will have no value until he's done something in the NHL and 5 years is far enough ahead for him to have sorted through the system.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:08 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Voted for Campbell because I think there's a decent chance Glennie gets traded before he ever makes it to Dallas whereas Campbell will have no value until he's done something in the NHL and 5 years is far enough ahead for him to have sorted through the system.
what I got from this is...

Glennie = good

Campbell = sucky, but will pick it up?

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:34 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

both these picks make me

If I had to pick one I'd say Campbell because he has a higher ceiling and might be able to hit it, I'm not so sure about Glennie

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:16 PM
DallasStarsfan06

Would Cam Fowler have made us an even better team this year?

DallasStarsfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:43 PM
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStarsfan06 View Post
Would Cam Fowler have made us an even better team this year?
Fowler wouldn't have made the team.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:01 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post

lol, considering the source, glennie's a lock to be a perennial all star.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Where's my option to vote for Kulikov or Fowler?

Glennie may become a 2nd liner but I'm not convinced its going to happen.

Campbell my be a 1st string goaltender but he's shown with his play this season that unless he has a decent team in front of him he's not that great. I'm beginning to question his effort in juniors. He got up for the WJC but has been terrible pretty much all season for his chl club who lost a ton of good players from last year's squad.

Fowler wouldn't be in Dallas but I'd feel much better about our defense going forward with him than I do our goaltending with Campbell. Five years is a long time and lots of bad things can and do happen to goalies during that kind of time span. Besides Besko and Bachman have played well, outside of Larsen and the Swedes there's not much defense to speak of.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:45 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Voted Glennie. I'm hoping that he can at least be a productive NHL forward by that point. I doubt Campbell will have had much of an impact five years from now. He may be toiling in the ECHL at that point which would make Glennie cracking an NHL roster (which I believe his draft status will at least allow him to do) the bigger impact.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Fowler wouldn't have made the team.
I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Why wouldn't he have made the team?

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 04:38 PM
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Why wouldn't he have made the team?
Because Larsen didn't make the team and Larsen is better than Fowler.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
He would cost the Stars more than Woywitka, that's why.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:02 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Because Larsen didn't make the team and Larsen is better than Fowler.
I love Larsen. Best d prospect we've had in awhile. He isnt better than Fowler.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

You guys are putting tons of faith in Larsen. I'm pretty sure Joe would've found a way to make him fit on the team, whether its letting people go on waivers or simply not signing Barch to that horrible contract.

Old
01-23-2011, 03:37 PM
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars

He's a better player right now.. I'm not saying he's a better prospect. Fowler had like two weeks where he was a Calder hopeful and all of a sudden he's some kind of superprospect. Larsen is a much smarter player, is a more agile albeit slightly slower skater, and has better stick skills all around. He's not nearly as flashy because he's significantly more defensively conscientious.

Quote:
You guys are putting tons of faith in Larsen. I'm pretty sure Joe would've found a way to make him fit on the team, whether its letting people go on waivers or simply not signing Barch to that horrible contract.
Dallas doesn't need Larsen right now. Anaheim desperately needed Fowler. Also, I've pretty much accepted the inevitability of Barch staying on the Stars probably well into his 50s.

Last edited by hairylikebear: 01-23-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old
01-23-2011, 04:02 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Just for comparison's sake, Nicklas Grossman has a better primary assist/60 rate, despite the fact that Fowler is an offensive defenseman who plays on the first unit of the second best power play in the league.
That's not correct.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:11 PM
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars

My mistake, that was for even strength. I'll take it out since even strength scoring isn't rhetorically relevant. My point still stands.

Old
01-23-2011, 04:50 PM
txomisc

Quote:
He's a better player right now.. I'm not saying he's a better prospect. Fowler had like two weeks where he was a Calder hopeful and all of a sudden he's some kind of superprospect. Larsen is a much smarter player, is a more agile albeit slightly slower skater, and has better stick skills all around. He's not nearly as flashy because he's significantly more defensively conscientious.

Dallas doesn't need Larsen right now. Anaheim desperately needed Fowler. Also, I've pretty much accepted the inevitability of Barch staying on the Stars probably well into his 50s.
Fowler was always a superprospect and he is most certainly better than Larsen right now. Fowler is no slouch in the smartness department. He is not more agile than Fowler. Larsen is a very good skater Fowler is an elite skater. He has tremendous hands and skills and can dictate play. Like I said I really love Larsen, but Fowler is better.

also in case you didnt know fowler is on pace for over 40 points as a rookie dman. His hype is not from 2 weeks of good play, hes been good all year.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Larsen has good hockey sense and all but it's not as good as people want to think it is. I watch him turn over the puck and make little mistake all the time down here. He needs to grow... A LOT and then we can talk about him being a great prospect. As it stands now I'll say he never gets better than a number 4 PMD on any NHL team. I still think he's an awesome player though.

Old
01-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Do you guys expect Glennie to play wing or centre at the NHL level?

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

We're really deep at center. He was drafted as a RW so hopefully thats where he stays.