HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on Nathan Gerbe

Old
01-21-2011, 03:15 AM
sabresfan123*

vCash: 500
Thoughts on Nathan Gerbe

I haven't watched many games since I live in Europe. Lately he seems like he has become more comfortable playing. Last year he seemed to play with more intensity. Maybe his injuries have held him back? Anyways what do people think of his play of late? I was really hoping he would become a scorer. I think he has it in him but will he blossom into a good player or career NHLer?

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:24 AM
funkymag77

The one thing that I really notice and appreciate is how quickly he gets his shots off. He's our best player in this regard and it could really be the key to his success down the line.

funkymag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:30 AM
FoSotC

I like his drive. Just the fact that he made it this far despite his small stature and the taunting that likely came about due to that says something about his character. He plays like he has something to prove- because he does.

About his relative lack of intensity this year, I'd personally attribute that to a combination of Ruff's "play it safe" system neutering the players, the generally laid-back atmosphere that seems to pervade this team as a result of that system, and his injuries.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:31 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
I think he'll be a very good scorer in the league, and his feistiness is something that you can't teach.

Early on in the season, I feel like he was almost over-aware of the increased speed of the game in the NHL, and his "mental clock", so to speak, was a little quick. He's creating chances for himself and others with his skill set, and as I said, as he matures I think he'll be a very productive player in this league. What's really been missing is that finisher's touch, and you don't get to be a Hobey Baker finalist without some ability to put the puck in the net.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:37 AM
NativityPlayground*

My new nickname for Gerbe is Lil Taz ...

NativityPlayground* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:43 AM
LGBuffalo

To be honest, last year, and until he got back into the line-up later this year, I was not impressed. It just seemed like he didn't have anything to offer this team. However, since he's gotten back into the line-up, he's been one of the better forwards on the team. His shot is tremendous, which really does add a nice element to the power-play. However, what I really like in his game is the tenacity with which he plays. He's a solid forechecker whose feet are always moving. There's a lot of heart to his game, and that's something that this team lacks in a few areas.

LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I've been consistently impressed with his willingness to compete for pucks, making hard stops and starts to get around where a lot of other guys are just gliding along. This gets him in position to intercept/disrupt passes and on the forecheck, he's causing turnovers with his feet and some good anticipation. In that role, regardless of if he's scoring regularly, he should be able to find a home in the NHL.

Now, if his scoring comes around, long-term....

01-21-2011, 09:45 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I think he'll be a very good scorer in the league, and his feistiness is something that you can't teach.

Early on in the season, I feel like he was almost over-aware of the increased speed of the game in the NHL, and his "mental clock", so to speak, was a little quick. He's creating chances for himself and others with his skill set, and as I said, as he matures I think he'll be a very productive player in this league. What's really been missing is that finisher's touch, and you don't get to be a Hobey Baker finalist without some ability to put the puck in the net.
Brian Holzinger.....??

People were so quick to say he wouldnt make it earlier this year. Most players need time to develop into pro players at the top level. He is no different. The mere fact that he was able to succeed very well in the AHL calls for an extended opportunity to develop in the NHL.

The only concern I have is whether his chippy game in combination with his size will lead to more injuries than other players.

Ill tell you this much, maybe two other guys on the Sabres would get into it with Chara.

flyingpig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:45 PM
mgeise

I like him a lot and I hope he can put up solid goal scoring numbers long term. It looks like he's starting to grasp the speed of the NHL and his offense is coming around. It's impossible not to root for the guy.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I mentioned this in another thread. Even though he's smaller, I kinda compared him to a young Alex Burrows. He brings a unique edge to his game that probably throws opponents off (who are expecting a pure offensive "lady byng" type of player, due to his size). Gerbe can throw some really good hits, and never shies away from physical play. But he's not big enough to be a true physical force on the ice, so he uses his chipiness mainly to get under the opposition's skin. If he develops a knack for putting the puck in the net at this level, then he would annoy his opponents even more. That's what Burrows does. He plays rough and gets under his opponent's skin, then goes out 10 minutes later and scores a goal, just to add icing on the cake.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:08 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
He's like our Rudy. He's 5 feet nothin', 100 and nothin', but through heart and desire he's gotten his chance in the top league in the world. But if he doesn't bring everything he's got every game, he's not going to make it. With full effort, he's a nice player, but if he starts coasting for a minute, it'll cost him big time.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:08 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
I mentioned this in another thread. Even though he's smaller, I kinda compared him to a young Alex Burrows. He brings a unique edge to his game that probably throws opponents off (who are expecting a pure offensive "lady byng" type of player, due to his size). Gerbe can throw some really good hits, and never shies away from physical play. But he's not big enough to be a true physical force on the ice, so he uses his chipiness mainly to get under the opposition's skin. If he develops a knack for putting the puck in the net at this level, then he would annoy his opponents even more. That's what Burrows does. He plays rough and gets under his opponent's skin, then goes out 10 minutes later and scores a goal, just to add icing on the cake.
If Gerbe becomes a Burrows-type, I'd be extremely happy. Burrows is significantly bigger, but I still think Gerbe can be that agitating scorer. It took Burrows until his fourth professional season to get a sniff of the NHL, so Gerbe still has a lot of time if the Sabres anticipate the same development curve for him.

I think a lot of Burrows' success can be attributed to playing with the right linemates, the Sedins, but he also complements them perfectly. They obviously make other players look much better, which explains Burrows' big jump in offensive numbers in 08-09. He distracts opposing defenses through his agitating and he is always willing to do the dirty work; if Gerbe finds similar linemates in Buffalo we could see a big jump in production. There is obviously no comparable to the Sedins here, but maybe players with some similar skills.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:35 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
If Gerbe becomes a Burrows-type, I'd be extremely happy. Burrows is significantly bigger, but I still think Gerbe can be that agitating scorer. It took Burrows until his fourth professional season to get a sniff of the NHL, so Gerbe still has a lot of time if the Sabres anticipate the same development curve for him.
I'm not necessarily endorsing the Burrows comparison, but don't be fooled about the size differential.

According to NHL.com (which may be wrong):

Burrows - 6'1" 188lbs (i.e., lanky)
Gerbe - 5'5" 178lbs (i.e., fireplug)

As a matter of pure mass, Gerbe is only slightly smaller. As a matter of center of gravity and sturdiness, he's superior. Don't know which one has more muscle strength, but I hear Gerbe's pretty strong.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:42 PM
umwoz

Gerbe is certainly built for a small guy. He's been very "scrappy" the last few games, and it has set a tone for a lot of the other guys.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:45 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

He de-cleated Wheeler last night, despite being at a dead stop after running into the official.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1000
I really like his defensive game. I think his future is as a shutdown winger that will put up a respectable amount of points. He has Todd Marchant skills with a Scott Nichol mentality.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:52 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
He de-cleated Wheeler last night, despite being at a dead stop after running into the official.
Low center of gravity ftw

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:53 PM
umwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I really like his defensive game. I think his future is as a shutdown winger that will put up a respectable amount of points. He has Todd Marchant skills with a Scott Nichol mentality.
Although I'm not sure we have to worry about Gerbe delivering headshots.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Although I'm not sure we have to worry about Gerbe delivering headshots.
Eh, his last year at BC, there was an article talking about him "setting the tone" in one game in mid-season by him running up a major league elbow on someone, then stepping out of the penalty box to go in for the Eagles first goal. Fiesty sometimes crosses the line.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:20 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Low center of gravity ftw
Seriously. I was bummed they didn't take a second look at it, because it was hilarious.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:22 PM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I'm not necessarily endorsing the Burrows comparison, but don't be fooled about the size differential.

According to NHL.com (which may be wrong):

Burrows - 6'1" 188lbs (i.e., lanky)
Gerbe - 5'5" 178lbs (i.e., fireplug)

As a matter of pure mass, Gerbe is only slightly smaller. As a matter of center of gravity and sturdiness, he's superior. Don't know which one has more muscle strength, but I hear Gerbe's pretty strong.
I am suprised no one compares him to Theo Fluery. I think their are some similarities or is that going back to far?

Old
01-21-2011, 05:51 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Gerbe ...
Keeping in mind he is a rookie and so I give him an overall pass on the season. (learning the ropes etc...)
The last 4 games he has been what he should have been his first 25 games of the season. But I truly hope he has turned a corner and can contribute as a productive forward in the NHL. Time will tell.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:03 PM
NativityPlayground*

Dont kill me for saying this but...

I think when they allowed Briere to leave and then botched up keeping Drury..

The front office had Gerbe in mind to take Briere's place...

Just sayin.... !

NativityPlayground* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:22 PM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativityPlayground View Post
Dont kill me for saying this but...

I think when they allowed Briere to leave and then botched up keeping Drury..

The front office had Gerbe in mind to take Briere's place...

Just sayin.... !
OMG, I what do you even say to that? Shaking my head...not a chance.

Old
01-21-2011, 07:36 PM
iknowphysics

Send a message via AIM to iknowphysics
Mighty Mouse? No...

Danger Mouse!

I like his new-found intensity. If he develops his production and consistency, I see him as a long term member of the Sabres. He was a steal in the 5th round, and after spending some time in the AHL, I think he's ready to find some success as a young player in the big leagues.

iknowphysics is offline   Reply With Quote