HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on Nathan Gerbe

Old
01-21-2011, 06:40 PM
mgeise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativityPlayground View Post
Dont kill me for saying this but...

I think when they allowed Briere to leave and then botched up keeping Drury..

The front office had Gerbe in mind to take Briere's place...

Just sayin.... !
I really don't think so, as Gerbe doesn't even play center. He wasn't signed to a contract when Briere left, either.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:35 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
He's been amazing the last few games. This is the kid a lot of us saw in prospect camp. Skates like the tasmanian devil, battles hard and gets off quick hard shots.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
He's been amazing the last few games. This is the kid a lot of us saw in prospect camp. Skates like the tasmanian devil, battles hard and gets off quick hard shots.

Agreed, but tiny miracles are rare..

I like the kids desire but winning Stanley Cups in the NHL includes wingers ability to win battles on the boards as well-in that category tiny mites lose every time.

Gerbe will entice fans to buy tickets but do little if winning NHL championships is the goal.

Don't waste to much time on Gerbe-he's to freaking to small for the NHL game.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:39 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

I like the kids desire but winning Stanley Cups in the NHL includes wingers ability to win battles on the boards as well-in that category tiny mites lose every time.

Gerbe will entice fans to buy tickets but do little if winning NHL championships is the goal.

Funny story, he weighs as much as Patrick Kane. And he wins his fair share of battles, even against Chara. In the playoffs.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:46 PM
FoSotC

Quote:

I assume Theo Fleury is the exception to this rule?

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:14 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:

He wins enough battles. Just watch his last few games. That type of play night in and night out WILL keep him in the NHL for as long as his health allows.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:26 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
I think the best nickname for Gerbe so far is TimBits. It's really too bad his name is Nathan though...could have worked so much better if Connolly was the 5'5" one.

lecherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:42 AM
sabresfan123*

Quote:

THEO FLUERY

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 03:42 AM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
I sort of think this is just a little bit of luck for him. I think he'll cool down in a few games...but he's definitely building confidence. I started to write him off and deem him a bust this year, and I hope I'm wrong. Definitely a neat little player. I love that he never really gets pushed around.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 04:10 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:

Gerbe is one of the few players on this team that you know you will get 110% effort from every night. He wins more battles along the boards than the majority of the players on this team and its due to his work ethic. I wish more players on the Sabres had his heart and determination because if they did we sure as **** wouldnt be losing to ****** teams like the Islanders on a regular basis. And like a few have said before, Theo Fluery says hello...

Last edited by vcv: 01-22-2011 at 05:53 AM.
SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 04:15 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:

Question 1 - which big Sabres are winning a lot more puck battles on the wall than Gerbe?

Question 2 - which Sabres of any size are creating more turnovers, intercepting more passes and pursuing more loose pucks than Gerbe?

If your argument is that Gerbe is too small to get puck possession, you haven't been paying attention.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 04:36 AM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:

You obviously haven't watched him play. Gerbe wins more than his fair share of puck battles because he is extremely built and has a very low center of gravity. He plays like a much bigger player.

misterchainsaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 07:34 AM
GrierIsGod123

Gerbe brings something that this team lacks...pure speed. I don't know if everyone else has noticed, but we're a slow team these days. Gerbe (and Ennis) bring much needed speed, tenacity, energy and skill. I think once both of these guys pull it altogether, they're going to be wonderful NHL players.

I've liked Gerbe since he came up to the NHL, as he's never been a liability and has yet to take a shift off. He also seems to care more than most players. If only that could rub off on Hecht and Pominiville a tad.

I see Gerbe's future as a very effective 3rd line winger. Especially if we transition to a more balanced offensive attack in the next few years, with three "scoring" lines. Gerbe could be a great compliment to some more talented players, as he gets the puck to the net with regularity. He would also be suited to play with a good playmaker. I see him really getting his chance to shine when some of the dead weight is off the roster (Hecht, Gaustad, Grier, Nieds,etc.). I think he has the goods to be what Hecht should be, a defensively responsible 3rd line LW, that can bury some pucks every now and again.

GrierIsGod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Rowley Birkin

Probably my favourite player in the Sabres organisation at the moment.

Probably will never be good enough for a regular top 6 role but I think he has a strong future in the league - hopefully with the Sabres.

Rowley Birkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Since the start of last season, including playoffs, here's Gerbe's line:

9 G, 12 A, 21 pts, +9 in 43 games.

That's pretty good considering he's been cast in a bottom-6 role in most of those games. He won't be expensive to re-sign, and he should be brought back in a bottom-6 role to provide energy and occasionally spell players in the top-6 on a short-term basis.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:57 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

That's pretty good considering he's been cast in a bottom-6 role in most of those games. He won't be expensive to re-sign, and he should be brought back in a bottom-6 role to provide energy and occasionally spell players in the top-6 on a short-term basis.
On top of that, he's got 11 points (6 G, 5 A) and is +5 in the last 13 games.

He's got enough skill that in time might help him transcend a bottom-6 role. I swear I've seen flashes of Briere in his game the past several weeks.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Hopefully we can extend his contract for around 3-4 years. I know he'd be a UFA by the time that term ends, but with the Myers and Ennis extensions coming up the year after, if Gerbe's term ends around the same time as theirs, and he continues to improve and eventually be a top 6 player by then, we might not have room to sign all 3 of Gerbe, Ennis and Myers.

If we signed Gerbe to a 3 year extension, at about 1.5 or 1.75 a year, it might be a bit of an overpayment for the time being, but if he continues to develop like this, he would be a complete bargain, and would give us more room to give Myers and Ennis extensions on their contracts (which will most likely be around the 3+ mil range).

Knowing our team's management, they'll give Gerbe a 1 year extension for a cheaper price like they usually do with young talent. So Gerbe's term ends the same time as Myers and Ennis. Then, all 3 of them tear it up in their contract years, and we can't afford to re-sign all of them, so we end up getting rid of 1. I don't wanna see that happen.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
Gerbe = Rudy

Eichel15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 07:44 AM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

He is a top 6 or bust. You should really understand the purpose of the two sets. Top 6 and bottom 6. He is an offensive player. If he can't make his game work as a top6 then he will be floating around from team to team.

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan123 View Post
He is a top 6 or bust. You should really understand the purpose of the two sets. Top 6 and bottom 6. He is an offensive player. If he can't make his game work as a top6 then he will be floating around from team to team.
Except, you know, that he's proving that he can do the things necessary to play in the bottom-6. He's probably our best forechecker by a country mile. He can cycle the puck. He brings energy to the team. But he's 5'5'', so he can't play in the bottom-6, right?

Many on this board, including you, believe that every team must be built with two scoring lines, a 3rd line "checking" line that exists to shut down the other team's top players, and a 4th line made up of big, strong players who punish the opposition. That's just not the case.

Starting late last season, Gerbe has proved he can thrive in a bottom-6 role. If he can continue bringing the forecheck and the energe, while chipping in offense, he'll have a job in the NHL.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 08:26 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

I like the way he is playing right now.

I think he can become a top six player. He has good hands, speed, heart and sandpaper. There is no reason to think that he cant keep his scoring touch that he is presently showing, as he has everywhere else.

Confidence is an amazing thing.

Before last season, he was a better prospect than Ennis. (thought to be by some...)

Last edited by flyingpig: 01-24-2011 at 09:59 AM.
flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 08:38 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
I like the way he is playing right now.

I think he can become a top six player. He has good hands, speed, heart and sandpaper. There is no reason to think that he cant keep his scoring touch that he is presently showing, as he has everywhere else.

Confidence is an amazing thing.

Before last season, he was a better prospect than Ennis.
I (along with this very website) highly disagree.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:14 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
I (along with this very website) highly disagree.
Fine... I recalled that at one point he was thought to be a better prosect than Ennis.....midseason fan prospect poll from January 2009 has him ranked # 4 and Ennis ranked # five. He was ROY in the A.

Last edited by flyingpig: 01-24-2011 at 09:22 AM.
flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Dreakon

The only thing I worry about really is injury. He's small and he plays a very fast-paced, gritty game. Hopefully that little freight train of a body of his can hold up for a long time!

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan123 View Post
What? He's been one of our best bottom six players this year, next to McCormick.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote