HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

JJ and Smyth indirectly calling out the coaches

Old
01-21-2011, 04:35 AM
Cruel11
Classless Kings

vCash: 500
JJ and Smyth indirectly calling out the coaches

Smyth in regards to the PP

Quote:
The power play is awful. We’ve got to be way better...

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/01/20...s-18/#comments

JJ speaks out about the system and offense. He will make a good captain one day.

Quote:
“Sooner or later, it’s going to get hard to climb teams in the standings,” he said. “We’ve scored two goals in three games. You’re not going to win any hockey games with that.”

From his view on the back end, Johnson said the offense needs to generate more speed through the neutral zone, put the defense on its heels and make plays off the rush.

“Too many times we’re just standing still, chipping pucks in and there’s no speed generated from that,” he said.

Johnson said the team has the personnel to play that type of style.

“Everyone in here is a National Hockey Leaguer, everyone should be able to skate well enough,” he said.
More quotes in the video.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/...ng-latest-loss

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Cruel11: 01-21-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:12 AM
Fangio

vCash: 50
Ryan Smyth is right on the money about the PP, it's awful.

The faces of the franchise are mired in detrimental slump -- Kopitar one goal in 13 games, Brown one goal in 12 games -- without their production the ship sinks fast, so looking to special teams becomes critical. What are they? ranked 20th in the league? Not good enough for a defensively conscious hockey club not expected to score much 5 on 5.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:13 AM
sjmay*

I think that if you are in the camp that wants to get rid of TM, you read that they are calling out the coaches, if you aren't, you read that they feel the team needs to be better.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:39 AM
BigBrown
They did it!

I don't see them calling anyone out but themselves.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I talked to Smyth for a few minutes on the record and heard most of what Johnson had to say both to reporters and off the record to Luc Robitaille. I did not construe any of their comments as calling out the coaches.

The only thing I thought was a bit of an "indirect call-out" tonight was Murray's statement that there are players in the organization/on the roster (he was sort of muddling through that part) that would go to the front of the net. You think about that, well, obviously he didn't mean on the roster because if that were the case, he'd be giving those guys power-play time. He didn't seem to mean anyone in the lower levels of the organization, there are no Smyth or Holmstrom types in Manchester or Ontario right now. So what did he mean? He meant get your butt in front of the net or someone will take your job as far as I could tell.

01-21-2011, 09:53 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
From his view on the back end, Johnson said the offense needs to generate more speed through the neutral zone, put the defense on its heels and make plays off the rush.

“Too many times we’re just standing still, chipping pucks in and there’s no speed generated from that,” he said.

Yeah, if what he says is true (and it is) he is saying that the dump-in isnt working.

No surprises there. Move along.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I'm sure JJ has a great view of the pitiful offense since Murray's system keeps the defenseman glued to the blue line.

BTW, the Phoenix goalie did not "stand on his head" in the game last night. Most of the shots were from above the circles and outside the dots. These are low percentage shots and the whole Murray system relies on hope and luck. That is not going to get it done in the NHL for too long.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:11 AM
ScoreZeGoals
I'm bored...

Sounds to me like some of these guys are getting tired of Murray's outdated system. I wouldn't doubt if Murray has lost most of the young guys in the locker room who never played in the pre-lockout NHL

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I think that if you are in the camp that wants to get rid of TM, you read that they are calling out the coaches, if you aren't, you read that they feel the team needs to be better.
I'm now firmly aboard the fire Murray bandwagon and I don't read these quotes as critiques of coaching. I wish they were though.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:24 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post
I'm now firmly aboard the fire Murray bandwagon and I don't read these quotes as critiques of coaching. I wish they were though.
Totally agree. I've been teetering on the fire Murray bandwagon, but at this point, I'm firmly on. BUT, I don't see this as the players critiquing the coaches at all.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:40 AM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

I could be very off but wasn't it drew last year that after scoring a goal, he said something like TM won't like it because he took a chance going against the system?
and parse got benched after a game where he scored a goal? maybe players are afraid to go with their instinct because they might get a earful of **** from TM...?

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
I could be very off but wasn't it drew last year that after scoring a goal, he said something like TM won't like it because he took a chance going against the system?and parse got benched after a game where he scored a goal? maybe players are afraid to go with their instinct because they might get a earful of **** from TM...?
I don't remember the exact quote, but I think it was the PP OT goal against Colorado when Stoll was supposed to get the puck back for a one-timer. Drew took the slapshot and found the top corner for the win.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:26 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post

Sounds to me like some of these guys are getting tired of Murray's outdated system. I wouldn't doubt if Murray has lost most of the young guys in the locker room who never played in the pre-lockout NHL
You bolded the wrong part.

“Too many times we’re just standing still , chipping pucks inand there’s no speed generated from that,” he said.

When guys are standing still, you have no option but to chip pucks in. Johnson isn't calling out Murray's dump and chase, he's calling out the entire team not moving off the puck so that dump and chase is the only option to get the puck into the zone.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:44 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
I talked to Smyth for a few minutes on the record and heard most of what Johnson had to say both to reporters and off the record to Luc Robitaille. I did not construe any of their comments as calling out the coaches.

The only thing I thought was a bit of an "indirect call-out" tonight was Murray's statement that there are players in the organization/on the roster (he was sort of muddling through that part) that would go to the front of the net. You think about that, well, obviously he didn't mean on the roster because if that were the case, he'd be giving those guys power-play time. He didn't seem to mean anyone in the lower levels of the organization, there are no Smyth or Holmstrom types in Manchester or Ontario right now. So what did he mean? He meant get your butt in front of the net or someone will take your job as far as I could tell.
Maxim Kitsyn \o/

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I could be very off but wasn't it drew last year that after scoring a goal, he said something like TM won't like it because he took a chance going against the system?
and parse got benched after a game where he scored a goal? maybe players are afraid to go with their instinct because they might get a earful of **** from TM...?
I remember the Doughty goal you're talking about, and afterwards, TM said that while Drew took a risk, he's a smart player and he trusts his instincts and etc. Nothing but praise. But that was when Drew was superman.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Too many times we’re just standing still, chipping pucks in and there’s no speed generated from that,” he said.

Johnson said the team has the personnel to play that type of style.

Everyone in here is a National Hockey Leaguer, everyone should be able to skate well enough,” he said.

Thank you Mr. Johnson.
I'm pointing this out since 3 years. But what do i know.
It must be a fine time for the Kings brass if they start yelling at video refs and
the own players asking you "are you serious with your game plan" ?

Really if still someone believes we have to pull us out of the slump by just doing nothing, i don't know what more you need to think a change has to be done.

Murray and Kompon leads us nowhere except into the ground.
3 Years of waste of our fine young players.

Kurrilino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

I read it more as the players asking each other, "Are you serious with how you're playing the game?" It's a few guys trying to hold themselves and their teammates accountable.

Good on them for it, but I don't think you can spin this one as an anti-coaching, anti-management thing, although that seems to be happening anyway.

Old
01-21-2011, 03:17 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
I remember the Doughty goal you're talking about, and afterwards, TM said that while Drew took a risk, he's a smart player and he trusts his instincts and etc. Nothing but praise. But that was when Drew was superman.
What else would TM say...? but what if it was some other player...? anyhow, I miss the days when Drew was superman..
09-10
"Look! on the ice! It's Ray Bourque, It's Bobby Orr, It's Drew Doughty!"

10-11
"Look! on the ice! It's a rolling donut. It's a big can of diet coke, It's Drew Doughty!"

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's Jamie Kompon's job.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Nose of Sutter

Is a benching on the horizon now?

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHoler View Post
Ryan Smyth is right on the money about the PP, it's awful.

The faces of the franchise are mired in detrimental slump -- Kopitar one goal in 13 games, Brown one goal in 12 games -- without their production the ship sinks fast, so looking to special teams becomes critical. What are they? ranked 20th in the league? Not good enough for a defensively conscious hockey club not expected to score much 5 on 5.
So where is the rest of the team to pick up the slack? Extremely unfair to place the entire blame at the feet of two players.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
So where is the rest of the team to pick up the slack? Extremely unfair to place the entire blame at the feet of two players.
When Toews has a slump there is Kane, Sharp, Hossa
When Getzlaf has a slump there is Perry, Ryan and Selanne
When Richards has a slump there is Carter, Briere and Giroux
When Stamkos has a slump there is St. Louis
When Ovechkin has a slump there is Backstrom and Semin
When Crosby has a slump there is Malkin
When Daniel has a slump there is Henrik and Kesler
When Richards has a slump there is Eriksson

Who do we have to turn to when Anze has a slump?

Brown has never proven an ability to be a consistent offensive player when he isn't riding shotgun with Kopitar.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:50 PM
no name

When asked if the dump and chase wasn't working anymore because everyone is waiting for it Jack paused for 4 or 5 seconds to gather his thoughts and sighed. I think that said more than any words he did say.

By the way, he wasn't exactly jumping to defend the system with his response but gave the company line.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:33 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Powerplay is just not a threat anymore.

Pass
Pass
Pass
Shoot from point (slapshot)
Tries to jam it in
Whistle

Then they try this same thing over and over.

What happened to this powerplay?

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
When Toews has a slump there is Kane, Sharp, Hossa
When Getzlaf has a slump there is Perry, Ryan and Selanne
When Richards has a slump there is Carter, Briere and Giroux
When Stamkos has a slump there is St. Louis
When Ovechkin has a slump there is Backstrom and Semin
When Crosby has a slump there is Malkin
When Daniel has a slump there is Henrik and Kesler
When Richards has a slump there is Eriksson

Who do we have to turn to when Anze has a slump?

Brown has never proven an ability to be a consistent offensive player when he isn't riding shotgun with Kopitar.
With 17 goals apiece, Brown, Williams, and Smyth have as many or more goals than all the guys bolded. The underlined guys have more than 17 but less than 20. A lot of those guys have been injured, but the fact remains that we're really not as bad at scoring goals as this time has made it seem over the past couple of weeks.