HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who wants to work together to craft a presentation to Pegula?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2011, 02:42 PM
  #26
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,768
vCash: 500
I'm in.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:28 PM
  #27
dugman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
I still have the one I wrote when Mark Hamister was buying the Sabres, but I doubt that does us any good.

dugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:06 PM
  #28
Kruschiki
Registered User
 
Kruschiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD SabreFan View Post
I'm with you on that.. but I think people just look at large initiatives as too large to tackle, like combating world hunger, etc.

In writing up a presentation for an owner, it is much more likely that your voice will be heard.. though hundreds of small projects like this one could go a long way in tackling a major issue.
I was thinking about something more along he lines of human-celled batteries, like in the Matrix.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
  #29
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
If it gets rid of Tin-man I'm all for it.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:12 PM
  #30
iknowphysics
Registered User
 
iknowphysics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to iknowphysics
I think that if is going to gain any traction, it needs to limit its scope to off-ice, fan related issues.

Pegula's going to hire/consult with professionals in the hockey industry about how to win a Stanley Cup- there's not much we can offer here with any true credentials.

BUT we have plenty of right to offer suggestions regarding what we as fans want to see off the ice, with special regards to:
a) Game Presentation
b) Arena Services and Concessions
c) Ticket Promotions
d) Charity Events and Community Involvement
e) Fan Relations***
f) Season Ticket Holder Relations
g) Not Messing With Jerseys, They're Fine, No Really, They're Fine

Emphasize an introduction to Buffalo Sabres fandom and potential off ice improvements for fan experience.

I think if we can form coherent ideas in these areas and communicate them professionally, then demonstrate fan support of them with a large online petition, we'll have much better success than attempting to:
1) Demand personnel changes.
2) Dictate team goals.
3) Threaten boycott.
4) Dwell on past downfalls instead of avenues of improvement.


***I would put "organizational pillars" here and convey it as an introduction to Sabres "fan values." IE, we like hardworking teams, we hate overpaid prima donnas, we like perennial playoff contenders, we like winning rivalry games, we like consistency, we don't like crazy things Charles Wang does, we don't like ******* things Kevin Lowe has done, we like a GM that communicates to us what the goal is/front office transparency, we don't like being treated like we're stupid, etc. I think that would get the point across as an introduction to Buffalo Sabres fandom, without insisting that any one of us is qualified to make any personnel, business, or hockey decisions.


TL;DR: stick to what we know.

iknowphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:52 PM
  #31
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!
 
BuiltTagonTough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowphysics View Post
I think that if is going to gain any traction, it needs to limit its scope to off-ice, fan related issues.

Pegula's going to hire/consult with professionals in the hockey industry about how to win a Stanley Cup- there's not much we can offer here with any true credentials.

BUT we have plenty of right to offer suggestions regarding what we as fans want to see off the ice, with special regards to:
a) Game Presentation
b) Arena Services and Concessions
c) Ticket Promotions
d) Charity Events and Community Involvement
e) Fan Relations***
f) Season Ticket Holder Relations
g) Not Messing With Jerseys, They're Fine, No Really, They're Fine

Emphasize an introduction to Buffalo Sabres fandom and potential off ice improvements for fan experience.

I think if we can form coherent ideas in these areas and communicate them professionally, then demonstrate fan support of them with a large online petition, we'll have much better success than attempting to:
1) Demand personnel changes.
2) Dictate team goals.
3) Threaten boycott.
4) Dwell on past downfalls instead of avenues of improvement.


***I would put "organizational pillars" here and convey it as an introduction to Sabres "fan values." IE, we like hardworking teams, we hate overpaid prima donnas, we like perennial playoff contenders, we like winning rivalry games, we like consistency, we don't like crazy things Charles Wang does, we don't like ******* things Kevin Lowe has done, we like a GM that communicates to us what the goal is/front office transparency, we don't like being treated like we're stupid, etc. I think that would get the point across as an introduction to Buffalo Sabres fandom, without insisting that any one of us is qualified to make any personnel, business, or hockey decisions.


TL;DR: stick to what we know.
I would be more than happy to work on E and G.

I think getting an older fan who was around for the much older incarnations of the Sabres and some younger new blood would be a huge thing when it comes to fan values and what the team means to us.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:03 PM
  #32
SuperNintendoChalmrs
Registered User
 
SuperNintendoChalmrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,524
vCash: 500
Out in left field idea with off-ice issues, how about a greater appreciation of team history and maybe re-broadcasting a series of videos they did in the 70s after each season. More attention/tighter control to facts with team history that are getting lost/accidently modified in the Sabres' media guides.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:06 PM
  #33
JD SabreFan
Registered User
 
JD SabreFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
No large written presentation needed, just show him the footage of this game and the end show one slide that reads:

Quote:
Many chances,
Zero finish.

CLEAN HOUSE!

Signed,
Sabres fans from around the Globe.

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 05:33 AM
  #34
SECRET SQUIRREL
Registered User
 
SECRET SQUIRREL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clarence
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,214
vCash: 500
Definately a neat idea, like to see how this turns out!

SECRET SQUIRREL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 07:45 AM
  #35
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowphysics View Post
I think that if is going to gain any traction, it needs to limit its scope to off-ice, fan related issues.

Pegula's going to hire/consult with professionals in the hockey industry about how to win a Stanley Cup- there's not much we can offer here with any true credentials.

TL;DR: stick to what we know.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

Pro sports is not a business that requires you to be a professional in the industry to make points that are dead on.

For decades NHL teams employed regular Joes as part time scouts throughout North America.

And to be specific, I am an amateur goalie coach and I'm big into strength & conditioning. I wouldn't be shocked if I had more knowledge in those areas that the big wigs at the Sabres that decide who to employ in those roles witht he club today.

Crowdsourcing is becoming a way to harness multiple viewpoints and come up with decisions that oftentimes are better than one person pulling the trigger.

Now I don't expect this effort to drastically change the way Terry Pegula runs things if/when he takes control of the club.

I just believe that it would be a fun exercise that has a 1 in a million chance in making a positive change in the direction of the team that we love.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:26 AM
  #36
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering
 
S319R11S16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugman View Post
I still have the one I wrote when Mark Hamister was buying the Sabres, but I doubt that does us any good.
Just change the year and add a few new things in it.

Same **** different year with this team.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:57 AM
  #37
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future
 
Burgmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orleans County
Country: United States
Posts: 4,317
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowphysics View Post
a) Game Presentation
I'll head up this area.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 04:30 PM
  #38
iknowphysics
Registered User
 
iknowphysics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to iknowphysics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
And to be specific, I am an amateur goalie coach and I'm big into strength & conditioning. I wouldn't be shocked if I had more knowledge in those areas that the big wigs at the Sabres that decide who to employ in those roles witht he club today.
Well, I have studied and played the game a good bit, but I don't presume to know any better than Jim Corsi. Feel free to send Terry Pegula your resume.

And I agree, telling Pegula what business model to use does have only a one in a million chance of making a positive impact.

And then there's the legitimacy of approaching fan-related issues with a new owner who will make changes to the team and want fan support of those changes. I'm sure everyone remembers Tom Golisano taking over the team and "doing a study" to determine that a priority with fans was to return to blue and gold.

iknowphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 04:44 PM
  #39
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowphysics View Post
Well, I have studied and played the game a good bit, but I don't presume to know any better than Jim Corsi. Feel free to send Terry Pegula your resume.
You completely missed the point.

I don't profess to be a better goalie coach than Corsi (or a better S&C coach than Doug McKenney).

But, I do believe that can propose people that are better than those two to do those jobs in the future.

In fact, I believe bringing back the person that Corsi replaced would be a great move for the Sabres.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 06:04 PM
  #40
iknowphysics
Registered User
 
iknowphysics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to iknowphysics
Forward their resumes too.

iknowphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:04 PM
  #41
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowphysics View Post
Forward their resumes too.
I'm not their agents, so it would be hard to forward their resumes.

Plus, the person that preceded Corsi in Buffalo is currently employed by another team and I'm not sure when his contract is up making him a FA.

But, I'd put Mitch Korn's resume up against anyone's right now when you look at how many NHL goalies that the Preds have churned out since Mitch landed there.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:24 PM
  #42
sabresfan123*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
With all the Pegula as the Sabres owner in waiting talk has gone on and everyone has dreamed & speculated on what he might do, I've thought about putting together a presentation to Pegula about what I'd like to see happen with the organization moving forward.

After reading Zip's extremely well thought out response to the whole video scouting ripping post, I'm thinking that a collaboration amongst the entire HFB Sabres community would result in a much better finished product.

We could use something like Google Docs to manage the presentation (or just use email....) and then open things up to peer review here at various points in time.

Here is my idea for a rough outline of how to structure things:

- Intro
- State of the Organization
- State of the NHL Roster
- State of the Prospects in the Pipeline
- Proposed Organizational Pillars of Operation (mission statement, organizational goals, etc.)
- Definition of the type of team to build [including the definition of what makes up the ideal Sabres player from a prospect and pro player POV]
- Define what the organization should do for the fans [media accessibility, ticket prices, events, future of the TV broadcasts, etc.]
- Proposed organizational structure
- Proposed upper management (team president, etc.)
- Proposed GM
- Proposed Scouting Department
- Proposed Coaching Staff [incl sections for head coach, assistant coaches, and the extended staff (S&C, Goalie coach, etc.)]
- Proposed Minor League Affiliate(s)
- Wrap up

If you want to join in this project, please let me know in this thread and give me contact info via PM.

Also, if you just want to give your 2 cents on anything I've posted here or in the future, that would be great as well.

I'd like to see this be something that isn't just one person's view on things. But rather a community effort to try and give a solid voice to what changes a certain segment of the fanbase would like to see.
It will end up in the garbage before it reaches his desk without a single person watching it. Don't waste your time.

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 06:51 PM
  #43
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan123 View Post
It will end up in the garbage before it reaches his desk without a single person watching it. Don't waste your time.
You'll be surprised what can happen in the 21st century.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 06:28 PM
  #44
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+
 
ZemgusWho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

Pro sports is not a business that requires you to be a professional in the industry to make points that are dead on.

For decades NHL teams employed regular Joes as part time scouts throughout North America.

And to be specific, I am an amateur goalie coach and I'm big into strength & conditioning. I wouldn't be shocked if I had more knowledge in those areas that the big wigs at the Sabres that decide who to employ in those roles witht he club today.

Crowdsourcing is becoming a way to harness multiple viewpoints and come up with decisions that oftentimes are better than one person pulling the trigger.

Now I don't expect this effort to drastically change the way Terry Pegula runs things if/when he takes control of the club.

I just believe that it would be a fun exercise that has a 1 in a million chance in making a positive change in the direction of the team that we love.
I think you're 100% right that average people can have legitimate and valid opinions on pro sports.

I disagree though in including things like that-If you want to affect change under new ownership, this should stick to to these things:

Quote:
- Proposed Organizational Pillars of Operation (mission statement, organizational goals, etc.)
- Definition of the type of team to build [including the definition of what makes up the ideal Sabres player from a prospect and pro player POV]
- Define what the organization should do for the fans [media accessibility, ticket prices, events, future of the TV broadcasts, etc.]
I think including the other things (e.g. players, coaches) will undermine recommendations made in sections where I think we could have real impact.

We're not the ones buying the team and we should focus on making thoughtful meaningful recommendations where we can have impact, and not make demands in areas where we have little chance of making impact. We can't change the whole team. I think that if we want to do something, the outline needs a triage. I think if we start to make specific recommendations on players, prospects, and coaches, we might come across as arrogant. and that's a quick way to ensure this ends up in the trash.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 12:45 PM
  #45
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronin View Post
We're not the ones buying the team and we should focus on making thoughtful meaningful recommendations where we can have impact, and not make demands in areas where we have little chance of making impact. We can't change the whole team. I think that if we want to do something, the outline needs a triage. I think if we start to make specific recommendations on players, prospects, and coaches, we might come across as arrogant. and that's a quick way to ensure this ends up in the trash.
I wasn't thinking that this would be something that was demanding anything.

More like laying out possible options for changes that we would be suggesting.

Fans can't really demand anything because we don't have any real leverage.

It's obvious that Sabres fans aren't going away. Just look at how well the slug sold!

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 02:39 PM
  #46
fightclubber25
Registered User
 
fightclubber25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 932
vCash: 500
With all due respect to those of you who have legit knowledge of the business aspect of hockey, I just don't realistically see an ownership /management group taking business advice from a small group of fans from a message board .. that being said I think its a great idea for us to express a serious and well thought out fans point of view. There's no shame in being heard.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:24 PM
  #47
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
With all due respect to those of you who have legit knowledge of the business aspect of hockey, I just don't realistically see an ownership /management group taking business advice from a small group of fans from a message board .. that being said I think its a great idea for us to express a serious and well thought out fans point of view. There's no shame in being heard.
It depends how you look at it.

I don't see it as "taking advice" but more as getting a glimpse of what a large group of fans think.

Hell, even if you just acknowledge it publicly it'd be a huge PR gain.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 03:57 PM
  #48
gaf
Occupied Territory
 
gaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... on the warpath
Posts: 3,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
It depends how you look at it.

I don't see it as "taking advice" but more as getting a glimpse of what a large group of fans think.

Hell, even if you just acknowledge it publicly it'd be a huge PR gain.
right on.. some clubs even still meet w/ season ticket holders to air gripes and whatnot.

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 04:19 PM
  #49
fightclubber25
Registered User
 
fightclubber25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
right on.. some clubs even still meet w/ season ticket holders to air gripes and whatnot.
That would be cool. Just being able to show the guy why we the fans think certain aspects of the team are good/bad and why could be momentous. He migh agree with a lot and I think him just hearing it would go a long way

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 06:41 AM
  #50
vein
Registered User
 
vein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Holy Roman Empire
Country: Germany
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
wow, i mean let the man and his staff do their jobs.

vein is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.