HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Glencross fined $2,500 - Are we at the point where we just dont care anymore?

Old
01-21-2011, 07:46 AM
topcheese1984*

vCash: 500
Glencross fined $2,500 - Are we at the point where we just dont care anymore?

So Glencross was fined $2,500 for his insanely dangerous hit from behind on Minnesota's Clayton Stoner and the media has barely picked up the story. No mention of it at all on TSN.ca.

Ovechkin was suspened for an identical hit last season. Lapierre was suspended for a similar hit last season. This was Glencross' third infraction in about a year and he gets a slap on the wrist?

Whether or not you think the hit was suspension worthy is irrelevant. The precedent should have been set with those suspensions last year. Wheres the consistency?

I know this topic has been beated to death, but are we at the point where we just dont care about Colin Campbell's stupidity anymore? Have we just come to accept it?

Personally, it just pisses me off to see somebody who makes good money be so obviously terrible at his job over and over again and get away with it.

topcheese1984* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:52 AM
OntOilFan

The Eager suspension followed by the Lucic non-suspension was the final straw for me.

Campbell is a total joke and there's nothing we can do about it.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:06 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
As much as people might not want to admit it, different players and different teams are all set to different standards.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Hockeyfan2390

A $2,500 would break many of us. For professional athletes, its peanuts.

Who was it in another professional league (NFL or NBA) who dared league brass to fine him because it wouldn't affect him at all financially?

Hockeyfan2390 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:11 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
The Eager suspension followed by the Lucic non-suspension was the final straw for me.

Do you mean the Lucic non-suspension followed by the Eager suspension?

Or is there something else Lucic did I wasn't aware of

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Hockeyfan2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
Do you mean the Lucic non-suspension followed by the Eager suspension?

Or is there something else Lucic did I wasn't aware of
Don't forget Cooke on Savard.

Hockeyfan2390 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:27 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

The way I see is that the integrity of the lea ........did I just say that?

Jeez everyone knows that the league is devoid of integrity, in fact I truly believe none of them would be able to spell it!

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:32 AM
zbryne

Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan2390 View Post
A $2,500 would break many of us. For professional athletes, its peanuts.

Who was it in another professional league (NFL or NBA) who dared league brass to fine him because it wouldn't affect him at all financially?
Think it was an ex NFL player on ESPN said they put $xxx away every year for fines during the season.

zbryne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:39 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Someone figured out that Briere's fine last week for punching Prust from the bench was the equivalent of $7.14 to someone making $50K a year. That's really going to hurt, isn't it?

These fines are a huge joke, especially when it's a repeat offender (which is a farce all on its own).

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:12 AM
BTD5504

Unbelievable. How there is no suspension on this is utterly ridiculous.

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
This

There's no clear definition on what to hand out for such hits so he is pretty much the dictator on such matters.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Ashasx

May be biased here as a Flames fan, but from what I've seen and heard, even though it was a stupid play by Glencross, Stoner literally stopped at the goal line, looking to take the body himself. What was Glencross supposed to do on that play? They are both chasing the puck, and it all happens very quickly.

At least, that's the reasoning I heard on the Fan960, and I agree with it.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Crossovert*

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck99 View Post
So Glencross was fined $2,500 for his insanely dangerous hit from behind on Minnesota's Clayton Stoner and the media has barely picked up the story. No mention of it at all on TSN.ca.

Ovechkin was suspened for an identical hit last season. Lapierre was suspended for a similar hit last season. This was Glencross' third infraction in about a year and he gets a slap on the wrist?

Whether or not you think the hit was suspension worthy is irrelevant. The precedent should have been set with those suspensions last year. Wheres the consistency?

I know this topic has been beated to death, but are we at the point where we just dont care about Colin Campbell's stupidity anymore? Have we just come to accept it?

Personally, it just pisses me off to see somebody who makes good money be so obviously terrible at his job over and over again and get away with it.
tsn was all over it when it happened, it wasn't that bad of a hit though, worth a fine and a major, he should have been kicked out of the game, it was more of a blown call by the refs than a blown call on the league after

Crossovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
May be biased here as a Flames fan, but from what I've seen and heard, even though it was a stupid play by Glencross, Stoner literally stopped at the goal line, looking to take the body himself. What was Glencross supposed to do on that play? They are both chasing the puck, and it all happens very quickly.

At least, that's the reasoning I heard on the Fan960, and I agree with it.
Skate past him for the puck first, ride Stoner into the boards, push him aside away from the puck.

Any of those would have been fine as opposed to Glencross hitting Stoner from behind and into the boards.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Caged Great

Stoner just arbitrarily stopped at the goal line with Glencross coming full speed right behind him.

I'm not a fan of Glencross, but there was no way he could've reacted to his stopping at all. The major was deserved, the fine as well. A suspension though would've been a little much.

Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Stoner just arbitrarily stopped at the goal line with Glencross coming full speed right behind him.

I'm not a fan of Glencross, but there was no way he could've reacted to his stopping at all. The major was deserved, the fine as well. A suspension though would've been a little much.
Personally, a fine would have okay. The thing is, a $2,500 find for a guy making 1.200 mil a year is nothing. Thats 0.2% of his salary. Oh dear god! (sarcasm)

Old
01-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Skate past him for the puck first, ride Stoner into the boards, push him aside away from the puck.

Any of those would have been fine as opposed to Glencross hitting Stoner from behind and into the boards.
...skate past him? Do you know how close they were to each other? Ride Stoner into the boards? That what he was TRYING to do. The fact that Stoner stopped at the goalline prevented any suitable play for Glencross. Stoner was weak on his skates and tried to make a hit himself.

No way this was worthy of a suspension.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:06 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Personally, a fine would have okay. The thing is, a $2,500 find for a guy making 1.200 mil a year is nothing. Thats 0.2% of his salary. Oh dear god! (sarcasm)
The issue with fines is that they're defined in the CBA.

Campbell simply can't fine a guy $50k for a hit.

Old
01-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528

Looking at the replay, esp. the 2nd angle, that was a pretty dirty hit.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Beerfish

Colie Campbell has been a farce for as long as he's had the job. He can use the excuse that his hands are tied for some things but his decisions are WILDLY inconsistent and when he makes a 'get out of jail free' kind of decision he defends it to the hilt.

Having said this many fans have suddenly changed their minds wholesale in the last few years. I had been railing against dirty head hunters like Scott Stevens for years and usually got shouted down by the 'that was a clean check, good ole tough hockey' nonsense.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:12 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Seeing the replay. What made it dirty wasn't the contact. Stoner pulled up and Glencross had no choice but to run into him. However instead of trying to make contact more with the lower body/midsection and ride him into the boards Glencross decided to push him (you can see his arms continue to extend at the end). That's what made a random collision turn into a dirty hit.

Old
01-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Colie Campbell has been a farce for as long as he's had the job. He can use the excuse that his hands are tied for some things but his decisions are WILDLY inconsistent and when he makes a 'get out of jail free' kind of decision he defends it to the hilt.

Having said this many fans have suddenly changed their minds wholesale in the last few years. I had been railing against dirty head hunters like Scott Stevens for years and usually got shouted down by the 'that was a clean check, good ole tough hockey' nonsense.
Scott Stevens dirty... LOL. Mark this as the moment where your credibility went down the toilet.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
...skate past him? Do you know how close they were to each other? Ride Stoner into the boards? That what he was TRYING to do. The fact that Stoner stopped at the goalline prevented any suitable play for Glencross. Stoner was weak on his skates and tried to make a hit himself.

No way this was worthy of a suspension.
Skating past is my bad. Looking at the video again, it seems quite impossible. Point is, there are many "suitable" plays that doesn't require pushing the opposing player into the boards head first.

And the reason I'm upset isn't the play itself, its the fine given by the NHL. Speaking of which, what IS the rule for fines defined in the CBA?

Old
01-21-2011, 10:35 AM
madmike77

Glencross could have hit him a bit more cleanly.

But the small fine tells me the league also wants to tell players not to put themselves into bad situations which is what Stoner did by stopping well short of the boards and going for the hit instead of the puck.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Dogkota

We've been at the point where the NHL just doesn't care for quite a while. Suspensions are based on flavor-of-the-week hotbutton issues like headshots, who is delivering the hit and who is receiving the hit.

Clayton Stoner is basically a nobody and hits from behind are so passť. Hence, the minor fine.

If that's Crosby on the receiving end of an identical hit, that's a minimum 5 game suspension.

Dogkota is offline   Reply With Quote