HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

ESPN Keeper Fantasy Hockey League (EKFHL) Season 1, Thread 2‎

Old
06-10-2011, 06:15 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Got my keepers set.

Mike Richards
Phil Kessel
Ryan Kesler
PK Subban
Jon Quick

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:06 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

When are keepers due?

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Hollywood Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
When are keepers due?
August 31st.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:19 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
August 31st.
Thank you Cannon of Hollywood.

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Garbage Goal

For any of you interested in joining another keeper league go here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=924465

How did my old team do here anyhow? Again, sorry I had to get kicked out. Was in a mental hospital and all so there wasn't anything I could do at the time.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:55 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

FYI more will be brought up in July once I get settled in in my new apartment. Things coming up:

-Transfer Requests to transfer to another division (I'm aiming to set a deadline for the end of July)
-Draft lottery - I'm thinking of following the NHL setup - bottom 8 teams get top 8 spots, etc. Winner gets 20.
-Draft setup - we need to discuss draft type (regular vs. snake) and other stuff, like if we do snake draft, maybe have team with first pick get to choose their draft position, 2nd chooses 2nd, etc.
-Deadline for keepers (due August 31)

And anything else. As usual, any comments appreciated. I still have to make some changes on my own too. But it'd be a good idea to get the ball rolling now.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:59 PM
McNasty

It has to be a snake draft for a matter of fairness. Your team could have come in last, but from a sleeper perspective you could still have far better keepers then the playoff teams. Personally I think a random draft order is fine, there are pros and cons to each location. However, if we're going to allow people to pick their draft selection I think we have to be able to view the keepers before this. I mean you can look at most teams and figure out who they will likely be keeping but picking your draft position without knowing which players are available would be difficult.

Last edited by McNasty: 06-21-2011 at 01:59 PM.
McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:07 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
It has to be a snake draft for a matter of fairness. Your team could have come in last, but from a sleeper perspective you could still have far better sleepers then the playoff teams. Personally I think a random draft order is fine, there are pros and cons to each location. However, if we're going to allow people to pick their draft selection I think we have to be able to view the keepers before this. I mean you can look at most teams and figure out who they will likely be keeping but picking your draft position without knowing which players are available would be difficult.
Good point. If that were the case I'd probably push the keeper deadline date up closer a bit (maybe mid August) and then have draft position selection start late August/early September, with the draft in late September.

Also, regarding ShootnScore's response, keep in mind if you do not have your keepers in on that date you lose them, period. Or if I'm forced to choose some for you, your 3 worst players are chosen. You have 2 months to do it, so no excuses are credible barring serious illness or kidnapping.

Old
06-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
It has to be a snake draft for a matter of fairness. Your team could have come in last, but from a sleeper perspective you could still have far better sleepers then the playoff teams. Personally I think a random draft order is fine, there are pros and cons to each location. However, if we're going to allow people to pick their draft selection I think we have to be able to view the keepers before this. I mean you can look at most teams and figure out who they will likely be keeping but picking your draft position without knowing which players are available would be difficult.
There's no way you can have a keeper league and a snake draft. The champ should have better keepers than the bottom team. Giving the champ two of the top-21 picks to go with having some of the league's best keepers will simply keep the bad teams down and drown out interest in the league.
And if a bad team has great keepers, well then maybe they'll be better this season. That's what the draft is for, to improve lesser teams. For the better teams, it's about being smart and trying to maintain their lofty status.
P.S. -- I'm assuming sleepers = keepers.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:28 PM
McNasty

I said nothing about the best team having the 20th pick, as I said I think a random draft order (or allowing teams to pick their position in the draft) is fair. I also don't think it's necessarily fair to say that the best team will automatically have the best keepers, Las Vegas Aces for example have only one forward who averaged more than 3pts (Eric Staal). I don't think I've ever done a fantasy league without a snake draft because while everyone might have their preference, a non snake draft puts you at a monumental disadvantage.

Old
07-07-2011, 03:06 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Put my keepers in ...
Vincent Lecavalier
Patrick Marleau
Rick Nash
Chris Stewart
Dustin Byfuglien

Old
07-07-2011, 06:52 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Ok, so I still want to keep my rough schedule in Post 256.

Next week I'll be on vacation until the 17th. Early during the 18th of July I'll send an email reminder and put a reminder here for the division transfers. If I remember correctly everyone agreed that the division transfers only apply to the 8 team that did not make the playoffs.

Once I send the reminder out, drop me an email or PM telling me that you wish to transfer.

Remember, following obvious logic, at least 2 people need to request a transfer for it to happen, so there's no guarantees.

Sometime tonight (since I finally have a free night) I'll try to make updates as necessary.

---
Opinions wanted from you all:

I'm keeping the Snake draft, but I'm unsure if I want to do random or have people pick a certain spot based on where you finished last season. Nor am I sure if/how you input a draft order (ESPN hasn't opened this up yet, too early). Anyway, I'd like to see comments if people think we should go random or selection for draft order.

If we go the selection route, we will have to have the keepers in (I'll put together a list), which will work out very well for a mid September draft by having the keeper selections in August 31.

Everyone knows where players have pretty much gone now thanks to FA (Welcome to the Flyers, Breezy). So get your keepers in! Remember, it's not final until August 31, so you have plenty of time to change them, so I'd get them in now to be safe.

There's still 8 teams (and 1 that's missing a selection) who haven't got their keepers in yet. Remember the penalty for not getting your keepers in are that your worst players get applied as your keepers.

Old
07-07-2011, 08:16 AM
McNasty

If anyone is interested I'm looking to package 2 or 3 keepers for one better keeper. Ideally a team that really only has one forward worth keeping.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:08 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Same type draft as NHL. Makes the most sense...

Also where do I choose on the site my keepers?

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:18 AM
BringBackZherdev*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post

Under the My Team tab there's a link called Keepers. Click on that and it'll let you choose your keepers.

BringBackZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post

Can't be said enough. It isn't about the quality of anyone's keepers. It's a continuing league, like the NHL or any other real pro sports league. You draft according to how you finished the previous season. If you have both Sedins, Stamkos, Ovechkin and Crosby and finished last, you get the first pick. You've already suffered through a horrible season.
To draft any other way wouldn't be fair to the teams in the lower half that are trying to improve. I know that if I went 3-17 or 2-18, I'd expect to pick first in every round. There's no way that team becomes more competitive when teams above it in the standings pick ahead of it.

Old
07-07-2011, 11:12 AM
McNasty

It has to be a snake draft, however either a random draft order or a draft for your draft order has to happen as well. I don't understand how this is perceived as unfair to teams trying to improve. Teams that weren't looking at the playoffs should have been looking for ways to improve their team. I know somebody traded me for Malkin and someone else traded for Derek Roy, obviously to concede this season and put themself in a better position for next season. Can you explain how a randomly ordered snake draft puts someone at a disadvantage?

Old
07-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
It has to be a snake draft, however either a random draft order or a draft for your draft order has to happen as well. I don't understand how this is perceived as unfair to teams trying to improve. Teams that weren't looking at the playoffs should have been looking for ways to improve their team. I know somebody traded me for Malkin and someone else traded for Derek Roy, obviously to concede this season and put themself in a better position for next season. Can you explain how a randomly ordered snake draft puts someone at a disadvantage?
I don't know if I can if you didn't understand my previous post. If lower-tier teams were smart enough to grab key injured players in preparation for 2011-12, then that's a plus for them. That is what a keeper league is all about -- planning for this season and the future. We competed last season and ...
OK, I got it.
After the Flyers traded for Eric Lindros, they still didn't make the playoffs for a couple of seasons. The NHL didn't say, "Well, Philly, you have a superstar so we won't let you draft until 18th." Mind you, the Flyers traded their first round picks, but the concept is the same.
This is a keeper league, and part of being a keeper league is keeping the results of the previous season relevant. That is done in the draft. The teams with the worst records draft first. Going with any other process only hurts those fantasy owners who were smart enough to start preparing for this season last season. They took the hit (maybe) in the standings last season hoping for better results this year.
If I finished 19th in our league, I'd expect to pick 2nd, 22nd, 42nd, etc. Anything else would keep that team closer to the basement than reaching a competitive level. And fairness to those who finished in the top-3 or whatever would be that they would keep players who were cornerstones of that great finish. If they falter in future seasons, they would get higher picks and get to try to build back to their initial success.

Old
07-07-2011, 12:36 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Can you explain how a randomly ordered snake draft puts someone at a disadvantage?
Yea, you still haven't answered this question.

Also anyone saying this is how real leagues work, it's called FANTASY for a god damned reason. There are far more intricate decisions in building a team other than pick your 5 best players and we're going to draft the rest.

Old
07-07-2011, 12:45 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Can't be said enough. It isn't about the quality of anyone's keepers. It's a continuing league, like the NHL or any other real pro sports league. You draft according to how you finished the previous season. If you have both Sedins, Stamkos, Ovechkin and Crosby and finished last, you get the first pick. You've already suffered through a horrible season.
To draft any other way wouldn't be fair to the teams in the lower half that are trying to improve. I know that if I went 3-17 or 2-18, I'd expect to pick first in every round. There's no way that team becomes more competitive when teams above it in the standings pick ahead of it.
Depends. 5 of your 19 roster spots are taken by keepers. Those 5 keepers should be your money makers. The other 14 will be your solid players and/or sleepers. I understand both sides of the argument but I don't see how one is greater than the other.

Really if we do a snake draft but give the lower teams the option to where they want to get selected it's almost identical to the standard draft, just they get an advantage by picking where they want to choose how to draft their team, which is why I think the snake draft will work better and allow more flexibility/options for drafting your team.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:04 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Depends. 5 of your 19 roster spots are taken by keepers. Those 5 keepers should be your money makers. The other 14 will be your solid players and/or sleepers. I understand both sides of the argument but I don't see how one is greater than the other.

Really if we do a snake draft but give the lower teams the option to where they want to get selected it's almost identical to the standard draft, just they get an advantage by picking where they want to choose how to draft their team, which is why I think the snake draft will work better and allow more flexibility/options for drafting your team.
Seems fair enough, have a draft for your draft position based on what? Final Standings? Total Points for?

Edit: I think everyone's keepers have to be locked in before draft position is selected.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:

Say my team went 1-20 and I choose to pick first.
In a snake draft, I get picks 1 and 40; in a real draft, I get 1 and 21. My team has a better chance to improve. Same with choosing to pick 8th. In a snake draft, I'd be 8 and 33; in a real draft, I'd be 8 and 28. The lesser teams get a better chance to improve, which is what a competitive league should be all about. Otherwise, there's little incentive to come back if you have a lesser team.
And upon further review, I see McNasty had the league's best regular season record. I now completely understand his position on this (though with playoff positioning, he wouldn't pick last). I finished in the middle of the pack. I believe the teams that finished below me deserve to have the chance to pick better players than me. If those teams aren't given a chance to improve, that will be detrimental to the league.
Since you guys seem stuck on this snake draft, explain to me the incentive of a guy who went 6-15 to come back to the league? Instead of getting the 4th and 24th picks in the first two rounds, he gets the 4th and 37th (or, say he chooses the 17th position, he gets 17 and 24). Either way, he isn't given a fair chance to improve based on the previous year's finish and keepers compared to those who had a successful season.
Please show me how picking 4th and 37th is identical, or even fair, to that same team picking 4th and 24th, because I don't see it.

Old
07-07-2011, 01:22 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Say my team went 1-20 and I choose to pick first.
In a snake draft, I get picks 1 and 40; in a real draft, I get 1 and 21. My team has a better chance to improve. Same with choosing to pick 8th. In a snake draft, I'd be 8 and 33; in a real draft, I'd be 8 and 28. The lesser teams get a better chance to improve, which is what a competitive league should be all about. Otherwise, there's little incentive to come back if you have a lesser team.
And upon further review, I see McNasty had the league's best regular season record. I now completely understand his position on this (though with playoff positioning, he wouldn't pick last). I finished in the middle of the pack. I believe the teams that finished below me deserve to have the chance to pick better players than me. If those teams aren't given a chance to improve, that will be detrimental to the league.
Since you guys seem stuck on this snake draft, explain to me the incentive of a guy who went 6-15 to come back to the league? Instead of getting the 4th and 24th picks in the first two rounds, he gets the 4th and 37th (or, say he chooses the 17th position, he gets 17 and 24). Either way, he isn't given a fair chance to improve based on the previous year's finish and keepers compared to those who had a successful season.
Please show me how picking 4th and 37th is identical, or even fair, to that same team picking 4th and 24th, because I don't see it.
I see your point, but the standard draft works great for the NHL cause they already have a full team and are picking up prospects. Essentially 75% of your team last year is gone. Sticking the champion at 20th, 40th, etc puts them at a huge disadvantage for the entire season, which it isn't fair that they win and get the glory and then have to suck the following season.

I almost want to say a random snake draft is the best option. Leave it to chance and nothing else.

Old
07-07-2011, 02:05 PM
McNasty

Quote:
I see your point, but the standard draft works great for the NHL cause they already have a full team and are picking up prospects. Essentially 75% of your team last year is gone. Sticking the champion at 20th, 40th, etc puts them at a huge disadvantage for the entire season, which it isn't fair that they win and get the glory and then have to suck the following season.

I almost want to say a random snake draft is the best option. Leave it to chance and nothing else.
All things considered that's fine with me, there really isn't a bad place to be in a snake draft and everyone should be on fairly equal ground unless you royally ****ed up the draft last year.

Old
07-07-2011, 02:20 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
All things considered that's fine with me, there really isn't a bad place to be in a snake draft and everyone should be on fairly equal ground unless you royally ****ed up the draft last year.
Right. At this point, with 20 teams and 5 keepers each, roughly the top 100 players are out. So we're essentially starting at Round 6. At this level, the players generally trend down to a level playing field. Doing a snake draft and getting first gives you the best available non keeper but getting 20th also gives you the 21st pick which are 2 solid players as well.