HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#46 | New York Islanders vs. Buffalo Sabres | Jan 21 | W 5-2

Old
01-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Le Golie

vCash: 500
Poulin sure has a wide spread when he goes down on his chest with his legs out in a Y shape. He gets there fast too. Great for shootouts and desperation saves.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by promputt View Post
Grabner looks much more comfortable out there. We need some NHL Quality defensemen on this team asap.
And once the Islanders attain some dmen watchout this team has great young forwards, they will be scary in a couple of years book it

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:10 PM
periferal

Why people hate PA Parenteau is beyond me.

Wait - No it's not.

I think it might be that PA is the poster boy for the fact that we can only sign 3rd tier free agents.

Truth is...Paranteau is paid what he's worth and he's actually one of the few forwards who can actually create some offense.

We all want Zetterberg playing with Tavares, but until FA's want to sign here, give it a rest.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post

Wait - No it's not.
That goal was all JT and Moulson and I feel that even I could have ripped that past LaLime with all that time and space.

I think the hate is because for every 1 good thing he does, he does 3 bad things.

He needs to be top-6 or bust, on this roster (Because our 3rd line is more or less solidified when healthy). On a winning-team, he's not.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:12 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

I gotta say Perif, he does bust his ass there every night. He will probably end up with 20 goals or so. I think he would be a good depth guy for the 2nd or 3rd line.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:14 PM
frankieboy

Passenger or not, PA has been putting up points. The Islanders have had PLENTY of guys who could not finish even if the puck was on their stick and the net was empty. He is on pace to equal Okposo's best season points-wise...that is saying something even if a lot of guys don't want to give him credit (I am not saying I value him as much as Okposo...only offering that up for a comparison). We have had enough slugs that could not convert when they had the opportunity. If guys are hoping he doesn't get resigned, I think you are in for a surprise. He would have to fall off the map to not get resigned. Is he flawed? Yes. Has he produced when given the opportunity? You better believe it. I am not a huge PA fan...but I am definitely not a hater either. If he produces, I have no problem with him on this team. For a guy with no hockey sense, he seems to be doing fairly well. I wonder if he has more hockey sense than a lot of the guys questioning him.

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Augscura

Good game so far, I'm really liking Grabner's play. This guy was a great pick up for us. Comeau looks like he is starting to get cold again, him and Bailey haven't done much this game. I want to see a strong final 20 minutes, not some retarded period where we are hemmed in and out shot 15-3 or some BS.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Renbarg

PAP doesn't bust his ass. How many times have we seen him and JT loft their ***** back to the defensive zone. They are both defensive liabilities and half of that is because of effort.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:18 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
Passenger or not, PA has been putting up points. The Islanders have had PLENTY of guys who could not finish even if the puck was on their stick and the net was empty. He is on pace to equal Okposo's best season points-wise...that is saying something even if a lot of guys don't want to give him credit (I am not saying I value him as much as Okposo...only offering that up for a comparison). We have had enough slugs that could not convert when they had the opportunity. If guys are hoping he doesn't get resigned, I think you are in for a surprise. He would have to fall off the map to not get resigned. Is he flawed? Yes. Has he produced when given the opportunity? You better believe it. I am not a huge PA fan...but I am definitely not a hater either. If he produces, I have no problem with him on this team. For a guy with no hockey sense, he seems to be doing fairly well. I wonder if he has more hockey sense than a lot of the guys questioning him.
Well said. For what hes paid he is doing fine. He's probably going to have a 20 goal 50pt season, not bad for a guy who was never given a real chance before this year.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:19 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
I gotta say Perif, he does bust his ass there every night. He will probably end up with 20 goals or so. I think he would be a good depth guy for the 2nd or 3rd line.

And how many UFA's were signed this offseason that are going to score about 20 goals? And what is their average salary?

No matter how you slice it, Parenteau is a very good signing.

Old
01-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
If he produces, I have no problem with him on this team. For a guy with no hockey sense, he seems to be doing fairly well. I wonder if he has more hockey sense than a lot of the guys questioning him.
Again, on a winning team (which is what I hope Snow/Wang shoots for after this debacle of a season), where does he slot?

If he's in the top-6 next season, it's a shame as it shows no improvement and he's not defensive enough to slot in the bottom-6. So, where does he play?

Old
Renbarg

There is no way PAP is getting resigned. He is simply going to want too much when in reality he is a tweener who got a lot of minutes on the top line due to injury. If KO had been healthy he wouldn't even be on this team right now.

Old
ziggy7716

Btw, I can definitely see Snow claiming Nabokov now that Lawson maybe out with some sort of injury, I already thought we were going to claim him before this game started, now I think its even more of a chance. Nabokov in goal sunday at home against Buffalo? lol na, I think even if Snow did get him he wouldnt play right away, DP would prob go sunday.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:

Wait - No it's not.

I think it might be that PA is the poster boy for the fact that we can only sign 3rd tier free agents.

Truth is...Paranteau is paid what he's worth and he's actually one of the few forwards who can actually create some offense.

We all want Zetterberg playing with Tavares, but until FA's want to sign here, give it a rest.
why do i hate on him? BECAUSE HE MAKES BONEHEADED DECISIONS!

he has too much difficulty in his own zone when it comes to getting it out and doesnt always have his head up so he makes questionable plays/passes all the time.

im glad hes having a good game, but he needs to learn how to play defense.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
And how many UFA's were signed this offseason that are going to score about 20 goals? And what is their average salary?

No matter how you slice it, Parenteau is a very good signing.
I gotta agree, I am not a fan of PAP but he will have more goals then Kovulchuk and we got him cheaper lol

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
In baseball when there is a blowout, they grab an outfielder and he pitches the rest of the game.

What are the odds that we will see an Islander forward or defense men put on the pads and play?? Id like to see AMac, Hell he makes better saves then Dipietro

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
center55

PAP is having a good game tonight nice to see him bury that shot something Moulson could not do last night.
Reading all theses post you would think we were losing 3-0 I really do not get all the negativity.

Bottom line is Buffalo is battling for a playoff spot and just beat Boston and Montreal and we are playing a solid defensive game. Hope we can hold off the charge in the third and walk away with the win.

Hamonic is looking good out there and I agree Martinek is having a nice game as well.

Nielson is solid at center

Not sure if I agree about Baiely not playing well, tonight I have noticed him and he has set up both Comeau and Schremp for pretty good chances.

center55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post

he has too much difficulty in his own zone when it comes to getting it out and doesnt always have his head up so he makes questionable plays/passes all the time.

OK, then by that logic you should HATE half the team. However only Tavares and Comeau can say they've outscored Parenteau.

People have just made up their minds their going to hate Parenteau. They should try reserving it for guys who bring nothing to the table...You know - Like Colliton.

Old
01-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Jester9881

PaP is awful, just awful. Look past his numbers, and you will see a guy that constantly gets in his linemates way, or outright runs them over.... flubs passes regularly (giving and taking), can't take a one timer to save his life, and floats back into the defensive zone.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:33 PM
frankieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post

As sacreligious as it sounds, I have seen Okposo, Bailey, and even Tavares make some boneheaded plays. I am not equating any of them, but especially Okposo and Tavares, with PA. I am only saying that every player on this team has had a few brain cramps...some more than others. Perhaps, that is what you are saying.

Where do I see him slot in? Well, he is on pace for around 54 points and probably 20 goals or so. That is not too bad for a guy who really is getting his first regular taste of the NHL. I don't think he is a first liner right now, that is for sure. But, I think he could be an effective second liner. Who does he bump? I believe that is what upsets people. If he is taking a spot in the top six, who gets left out? To be truthful, I COULD NOT CARE if they resign him. I just think they will. How could they not resign a guy who will probably score around 20 goals and 50 points?!?! This team is not an offensive juggernaut and guys are picking on one of the few guys who is producing. If there are better FA's out there who will sign, or someone beats him out next year, that is fine by me. Too many guys are not appreciative of a guy who is playing reasonably on a terrible team. How happy would guys be if Joensuu was producing like this? What about Rahkshani? Kabanov in the future? Petrov?

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:36 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
OK, then by that logic you should HATE half the team. However only Tavares and Comeau can say they've outscored Parenteau.

People have just made up their minds their going to hate Parenteau. They should try reserving it for guys who bring nothing to the table...You know - Like Colliton.

people have hate for him because he's on our first line and it reminds us of how inane that is and how inept our management/situation is at attracting real 1st and 2nd line talent. simple as that

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
As sacreligious as it sounds, I have seen Okposo, Bailey, and even Tavares make some boneheaded plays. I am not equating any of them, but especially Okposo and Tavares, with PA. I am only saying that every player on this team has had a few brain cramps...some more than others. Perhaps, that is what you are saying.

Where do I see him slot in? Well, he is on pace for around 54 points and probably 20 goals or so. That is not too bad for a guy who really is getting his first regular taste of the NHL. I don't think he is a first liner right now, that is for sure. But, I think he could be an effective second liner. Who does he bump? I believe that is what upsets people. If he is taking a spot in the top six, who gets left out? To be truthful, I COULD NOT CARE if they resign him. I just think they will. How could they not resign a guy who will probably score around 20 goals and 50 points?!?! This team is not an offensive juggernaut and guys are picking on one of the few guys who is producing. If there are better FA's out there who will sign, or someone beats him out next year, that is fine by me. Too many guys are not appreciative of a guy who is playing reasonably on a terrible team. How happy would guys be if Joensuu was producing like this? What about Rahkshani? Kabanov in the future? Petrov?
Fair points, but on a winning Islanders team I do not see him on the roster. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame PAP for signing (or resigning in the future). 20g and 50pts looks nice, because no one else outside of Tavares will hit that mark but realistically the stat line does not define the player.

And Perif: I think that most of us who don't like PAP also don't like Colliton and everyone else who we all know do not belong on this roster.

Old
01-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Renbarg

Quote:

I think you heavily underestimate the aspect of luck in hockey, you watch all the games just like we all do on this board so you don't have to rely on the stats to make a determination on what a player is worth. Good players are always going to produce. However luck will have a ton to do with how much or little a player actually does produce. If Okposo had better luck last year he would have had 25 goals. PAP is the right type of player on the right line (a right handed shot playing often setting up on the offwing with teams often focusing on JT on the right and MM in the middle) getting a lot of PP time. He is going to get his points almost by default, its only a question of what the alternative would be and other aspects of the game (such as defense which he is putrid at). The alternative in this case would be KO or Comeau (with a healthy KO playing on another line). PAP would not put up the same points on a different line he simply doesn't have the skill set. How many horrible passes has he made? At least 3 or 4 a period, I have never seen a person screw up so many easy passes.

Old
01-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Renbarg

another breakaway for Grabs, this kid will be a good NHL player, Pavel Bure speed. Looked like he got hooked to me.

Old
01-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Renbarg

See, both PAP and JT covering one guy on the point (and JT is supposedly a center).