HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

And we pick Kyle Chipchura....

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2004, 03:04 PM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
We should all stop with this nay saying...

The Sacred Pretzel has spoken.

Old
06-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Jeez, the kid just got drafted a few hours ago. Give him a chance for christ sakes. Its not always the top pick that make impacts on hockey teams. We have more than enough offensive talent, we needed a big C, and we got it. If he becomes a Selke winner one day, will you still complain????

Since when did we all become scouts?????

Relax, have a bud (beer i meant)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
So, just because Chipchura has a good head on his shoulders, plays a 200 ft. game, and has size means we have to lump him in with the busts of the past? Gotcha.
I have a right to NOT LIKE Kyle Chipchura, I have right to an opinion. I think this guy is not worth a 1st round pick. A damn 3rd liner with leadership WHO CARES !!!! It's not worth a 18th OVERALL PICK.

Korpikoski & Meszaros was available.

Don't worry , I will be happy to eat some crow if he does well. Until then, I think it's the worst pick the HABS could get in this draft with Valabik.

Not because he's a HABS property that i'm suppose to like him. If I had to put him on the #20 prospects he wouldn't even made the TOP 7 of our prospects.

I really think we didn't learn from the past with those BIG PLAYERS with average offensive skill at the junior level.

I hate the pick as simple as that.

Old
06-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Cayouche5

some players are falling.

Viktor Alexandrov
Evan McGrath
Wes O'neil
Vaclav Meidl
Oscar Hedman

Old
06-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette_19
I agree with you 100%....It's not a disaster but Meszaros was there....Who the Rangers select after the Habs Korpikoski....let's the comparaison begin
EXACTLY. If Meszaros is not there then I would be happy with our pick.
I do notice a pattern Savard and his team do on the draft table. Take the best player in a particular position in that year. Komisarek is the best D that year. Marian Hossa is the best skillful European in that year. Kats is the best talent in that year. Higgins is the best checking prospect in that year and now Chipchura is the best two way forward in his year.

While I like Meszaros, he is not the top D prospect this year. Maybe that's their draft tendency?

And some readers posted some good points, we don't have anyone like Chipchura is our organization but we do have a lot of skillful scoring forwards. Afterall you need all types of player in a team to win.

Chipchura won't be a bad pick, and in fact I think we stole him from Calgary who is picking one spot after we pick originally. However I won't say we stole the show like we did last year with Kats

Old
06-26-2004, 03:21 PM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Jeez, the kid just got drafted a few hours ago. Give him a chance for christ sakes. Its not always the top pick that make impacts on hockey teams. We have more than enough offensive talent, we needed a big C, and we got it. If he becomes a Selke winner one day, will you still complain????

Since when did we all become scouts?????

Relax, have a bud (beer i meant)
RIGHT ON MOOCH!!!!!!!!!

Old
06-26-2004, 03:22 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
I have a right to NOT LIKE Kyle Chipchura, I have right to an opinion. I think this guy is not worth a 1st round pick. A damn 3rd liner with leadership WHO CARES !!!! It's not worth a 18th OVERALL PICK.

Korpikoski & Meszaros was available.

Don't worry , I will be happy to eat some crow if he does well. Until then, I think it's the worst pick the HABS could get in this draft with Valabik.

Not because he's a HABS property that i'm suppose to like him. If I had to put him on the #20 prospects he wouldn't even made the TOP 7 of our prospects.

I really think we didn't learn from the past with those BIG PLAYERS with average offensive skill at the junior level.

I hate the pick as simple as that.

Samething for me,there where better pleyer available at the time we draft,I have no problem with Chipchura,I only think this kind of player can be add more easilly by a trade that's It,but Im still happy and Im sure he will become a good player If he continue to wark as he do

GOOD LUCK CHIPPY

Old
06-26-2004, 03:22 PM
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayouche5
some players are falling.

Viktor Alexandrov
Evan McGrath
Wes O'neil
Vaclav Meidl
Oscar Hedman
Alexandrov would be nice, small but apparently one fo the most skille dint he draft.

Old
06-26-2004, 03:23 PM
eddy

Damn alexandrov went oe place before.

Last edited by eddy: 06-26-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old
06-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
Alexandrov would be nice, small but apparently one fo the most skille dint he draft.
DAMNIT!!!! The Blues jsut got him with the pick before us

Old
06-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Cayouche5

ALEXEI YEMELIN is the newest addition to the team a defense from russia, not that big 6'0 187

Old
06-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Whatever

Great pick by the Habs! Glad to see some size enter the fold.

Old
06-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
It's up to chipchura to change my mind ... but i still think we should have trade down and select one of Chipchura,Wolski,Mesjaros,Green and Korpikoski ...
anyway good luck to Chipchura ...
btw what about my personal favorite (Wheeler) going 5th overall !!!
I was shocked and pissed(because i wanted him )
BTW what a good draft for Florida so far IMO !!

Old
06-26-2004, 03:37 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
Chipchura won't be a bad pick, and in fact I think we stole him from Calgary who is picking one spot after we pick originally. However I won't say we stole the show like we did last year with Kats
Yup, some poetic justice there, as Calgary had taken Phaneuf last year just before the Habs picked. If given the choice, I would take Phaneuf ahead of Kastitsyn hands down.

The Chipchura debate will not end until he actually plays, but I like the pick. I don't understand how some people here are certain that he will only ever be a 3rd line center. I just don't see how people can make that judgment.

Chipchura slipped because he struggled through a nagging injury. It strikes me as a classic case of buying low. He has traits that made him the 1st overall WHL draft pick and a consensus top 10 pick at mid-season last year.

Some people too easily dismiss the overall package, as though faceoffs, checking, character and defensive awareness are unimportant. I think that his offensive game hasn't flourished as much as it could precisely because he is already so good at these other areas. Having those responsibilities limits his offensive chances.

On the other hand, being so good at these areas will only help his offensive development. He can already play in all game situations, and he'll be able to play with all sorts of players. He doesn't have to spend as much time learning the defensive aspect of the game and he can instead concentrate on improving his offensive output.

Anyway, maybe I'm full of it. The real reason I'm happy with this pick is that we'll be able to watch a Habs prospect on Team Canada at next year's World Jrs.

Old
06-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Astaroth

I got to be on the side of those who don't care much for Chipchura, the man was first pick overall in the WHL draft and id not simply rise to the occasion. His stock concistently fell throughout the year and everybody says he's a good guy and how he has character but fact of the matter is that he dropped the ball instead of running away with it (I am aware of his injury but he hasn't even come close to a PPG in junior, not very encouraging for the future) . In a draft this thin, I really thought we should have taken a chance especially when you have Robbie Schremp available at 18th. I really think that Schremp is going to make those teams who passed him pay in the future but we'll see.

Old
06-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Malmsteen44

Old
06-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Malmsteen44

Old
06-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Beakermania*

Higgins and Chips will form the basis of a great line for us for the next decade.
They are both solid two way players and we will be able to use them in any situation. This line when developped fully will be able to play against the other teams top line and shut them down while providing second line scoring numbers at the other end of the ice. It will be a great weapon and one that will hopefully help to lead us to a Stanley Cup (or a few for that matter).

Oh Man I love this pick so much. I can't wait to see it all come together in a few years.

In BOB I trust.

Old
06-26-2004, 06:58 PM
habster

I thought we got the BPA on that pick. I think people often associate best player to best skill set. But imo intagibles are also important in a player. Scoring goals can be thought thru training and hard work. But how can you teach a player to have great character, how be respected, how to lead, how to play with passion? Kyle is just a missing piece on how to be a great team:

Theo in nets
Komi as a shutman on D
Markov as a offensive leader on D
Kast & Perez to provide scoring
Higgins and Chippy to shutdown top oppositions
Koivu to lead them all to the cup

Old
06-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Guy Caballero

We needed a guy like this: a Canadian boy with high-end leadership qualities and sound positional play. Not that I have anything against Euros -- there's not much better than watching a talented European player dangle -- but I think we had too many guys who fell into the same category and that our prospect group was a little unbalanced.

There still hasn't been a team to win the Cup without a good Canadian captain. Don't forget that.

Old
06-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
There still hasn't been a team to win the Cup without a good Canadian captain. Don't forget that.
Derian Hatcher captained the Stars to the cup. He's American.

Old
06-26-2004, 07:45 PM
SpezNc

I really like our pick... He was the guy I was looking for...

because you're playing with heart and grit and you're from alberta doesn't mean you're going to choke... WHAT THE HELL?

We wanted Doan... Not Ryan
In 1996, all the draft was poor... all the draft.... So Matt Higgins was

Even if Chipchura is limited offensively, he got some offensive upside... not as much as 1 first line need but he can completed a trio with Kastsitsyn and scoring some points in the NHL...

The WHL is a defensive league... In the OHL or QMJHL, maybe he will have broken the 1 pt per game.... I'm so happy... We got a leader... A heart with captain material..

Calgary almost with the cup with no pure talent apart of Iginla but impresses with their hard-working game... Chichura is a Sutter type of player and be palay whatever you want (apart of becoming 50 goal scoreur..)

If you're always looking for the home-run, you're going to be dissapointed...
Higgins wasn't the most talented kid left in 2002. But now, i think that he was a great pick... and that he should have gone before the 14 pick...

Last year, we took a highly skilled in Kastsitsyn... High rish high reward... But we can't do that at each draft...

CHIPCHURA... I like the name..

Last edited by SpezNc: 06-26-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Old
06-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
I just want to clarify my comments.

I was never a Chipchura fan, so I'm biased. I don't like picking players with minimal ceilings in the first round. It's just the way I am. It's the way I run my teams in EHM and fantasy leagues. I view the draft as not only getting young players for your team's future, but collecting ASSETS. That's why I want the guy with the highest ceiling.

I would have been OK with the pick if the Meszaros/Schremp/Korpikosi group was already picked. They weren't, that's why I am dissapointed. I just loved what I was reading on Meszaros and I am convinced the Sens were ready to celebrate when they got him. He was REALLY someone I wanted and figured we had no chance to get at 18. This team needed a bluechip D more than we needed a Chipchura IMO. Lapierre who is developping very nicely looks like he will be a player in the Chippy mold. It was not a HUGE need for us. I understand Korpikosi was a risk since he never played in a men's league and that Schremp has ? around him but not drafting Meszaros killed me.

I wish Chippy luck though and hope he can be a solid 3rd line center for us.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 06-26-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Old
06-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
Derian Hatcher captained the Stars to the cup. He's American.
I stand corrected. I forgot about Hatcher, but you get my point. You can't build a winner around guys like Perez and Kastitsyn alone. At least no one has been able to to date.

Old
06-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I stand corrected. I forgot about Hatcher, but you get my point. You can't build a winner around guys like Perez and Kastitsyn alone. At least no one has been able to to date.
True and its not like Hatcher plays a european style game. Like i've said before i love the pick too, and have had Chipchura as my #1 want in montreal for at least the past 3 weeks. Like i said earlier Chips + Higgins = great 2nd line one day.

Old
06-26-2004, 07:56 PM
SpezNc

[QUOTE=Marc the Habs Fan]I just want to clarify my comments.

I was never a Chipchura fan, so I'm biased. I don't like picking players with minimal ceilings in the first round. It's just the way I am. It's the way I run my teams in EHM and fantasy leagues. I view the draft as not only getting young players for your team's future, but collecting ASSETS. That's why I want the guy with the highest ceiling.

I would have been OK with the pick if the Meszaros/Schremp/Korpikosi group was already picked. They weren't, that's why I am dissapointed. I just loved what I was reading on Meszaros and I am convinced the Sens were ready to celebrate when they got him. He was REALLY someone I wanted and figured we had no chance to get at 18. This team needed a bluechip D more than we needed a Chipchura IMO. Lapierre who is developping very nicely looks like he will be a player in the Chippy mold. It was not a HUGE need for us. I understand Korpikosi was a risk since he never played a men's league and that Schremp has ? around him but not drafting Meszaros killed me.
QUOTE]

Other team decided to overlook these guy... Not just the habs. Maybe tehy are all wrong.. But generally, the scout are scouting the prospect and are knowing much more that us about the player availabe.

I'm folowing the draft each year since a while (Since 1996)...

Some year ago, I was thinking that I knew more the prospect that the NHL scout... right now i have understand that they are in a better position than me to evalate a player.

Closed Thread