HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Article : Apathetic Star prospect continues to fall (Gudbranson)

Old
01-21-2011, 02:51 PM
vektorious

vCash: 500
Article : Apathetic Star prospect continues to fall (Gudbranson)

Quote:
Florida Panthers top defensive prospect, Erik Gudbranson has been stripped of his "A" and suspended for one game according to Kingston journalist Tyler King. This marks a low point in the 3rd overall picks career which has completley fallen out of orbit since the draft.

Gudbranson has struggled to replicate the dominating play he was drafted for all season long with the Kingston Frontenac's and for a good portion of the season, he hasn't even been the best Gudbranson on the ice in Kingston. While he was chosen to represent Canada this year at the IIHF World Junior Championships, he found himself on the third defensive pairing and continuing his downward spiral. Unfortunatley today it was announced that Erik had been stripped of his leadership role due to what is being reported as insubordination and apathetic behavior. Infamous Frontenac's head coach Doug Gilmour has reportedly accused Gudbranson of not caring and when confronted with the situation Gudbranson had a tyrade and demonstrated his insubordination and frustration with the coaching system in place.

This is shocking news for panthers fans and has to be a huge blow for the scouting and hockey operations staff of the Florida organization who for the duration of the 2010 draft gloated that Gudbranson was "a character kid" with "a good head on his shoulders"-- a main point in drafting this player. Gudbranson currenly has 16 points (7g, 9A) in 27 games played and while this isn't a total meltdown statistically, it was not the type of play that was expected from the 19 year old behemoth.
via : http://www.litterboxcats.com/2011/1/...tinues-to-fall

What are your thoughts? Could this be as a result of Gudbranson not being signed this year? Maybe he is frustrated?

vektorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:58 PM
CzechPanther

I think a Kingston fan had talked about this on our prospects thread and claimed that Gudbranson is not to blame for this.

I also thought he was quite good (from what I saw) at the wjc, and thought he had rebounded from his early season struggles in Kingston.

CzechPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:06 PM
vektorious

I agree. He played great at the WJC although he was on the 3rd defensive pairing. We will see...

Old
01-21-2011, 03:07 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Don't worry.

It's part of the 'Blueprint' (TM).

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:07 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

I'm not worried. I don't think he would have done the same thing in the NHL, and for all we know, we don't really know what happend. I'm sure someone in our organization will call Erik and find out what happend.

AwesomePanthers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

He's been scoring points, was very solid at WJC's, and I'm sure he's slightly frustrated at being there and not up here. Don't like the captaincy, but no one knows what goes on behind closed doors.

01-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Yeah, that writer doesn't have an agenda.....jeez. He hasn't even been the best Gudbranson on the ice in Kingston most of the time? That is just an absurdly idiotic comment, and I think Sidney the Kidney would agree with me on that one. What a bunch of bollox that article is.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Yea, that article seem a little out of context. He definitely hasn't regressed this year from what I've been reading on the board, right MR?

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Yea, that article seem a little out of context. He definitely hasn't regressed this year from what I've been reading on the board, right MR?
He had regressed at the beginning of the season, but ever since a few games before the WJC camp he's really flourished offensively. I had heard he was playing well upon returning from the WJC. In any case, he hasn't regressed nearly as badly as that article makes out. I don't really like Gilmour as a coach either. He was very stingy with PP time for Gudbranson for a long time, even though it's now evident if he was placed there he would produce. Now this incident, while I give him the benefit of the doubt because I'm not there, seems like a bit of an overreaction by Gilmour.

Old
01-21-2011, 03:31 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Yeah, that writer doesn't have an agenda.....jeez. He hasn't even been the best Gudbranson on the ice in Kingston most of the time? That is just an absurdly idiotic comment, and I think Sidney the Kidney would agree with me on that one. What a bunch of bollox that article is.
sounds like that article may have been written by someone with some frontenac money in their pocket, based on what sid said.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Hip to be Square

Gudbranson doesn't belong in juniors.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
sounds like that article may have been written by someone with some frontenac money in their pocket, based on what sid said.
He definitely has an agenda of some kind. That was so biased.

Old
01-21-2011, 03:59 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
Gudbranson doesn't belong in juniors.
If the extra year in juniors helps his offensive game develop, then IMO that's where he should be.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
As I posted in the prospects thread, this situation really isn't a knock on Gudbranson in any way, shape, or form when one takes into account the organization that he plays for.

This article is also incredibly slanted, almost as though it was written by either someone who a]works for the Frontenacs/has ties to the Frontenacs, b]was a massive Gilmour fanboy or c]hated the Gudbranson pick and wanted Florida to take someone else, thus now trying to point out the "flawed" player they took.

Some items that are wrong in the article:

-Erik Gudbranson has been Kingston's best all-around defenseman this season. He's certainly been better than his brother, by a wide margin. The fact the article suggest otherwise makes me question their impartiality in the matter.

-While he has in fact turned 19 just recently (he's got a January birthday), the article refers to him as a 19-year old player. In junior hockey lingo, a "19 year old" is the term you'd use to describe a final year guy. It's semantics, but the using of that phrase slants the article even more into negativity because it suggests that an older player (even though Gudbranson, by OHL standards, isn't yet at that status) is struggling.

-Kingston's record with Gudbranson in the line up is 17-8-1-1. Their record with Gudbranson not playing this year is 4-9-1-1. Does that sound like the kind of impact someone who is underachieving would have on a club?

-The writer talks about Gudbranson's performance at the WJC as if he was bad. Mentioning he was on the third pairing, and mentioning his part in the third period collapse. But no mention of the fact he and Despres were Canada's best pairing for most of the tournament, or the fact by all accounts Gudbranson had a great WJC.

One item that angers me about this article is the way it portrays Gudbranson in a negative light, with terms like "apathetic" and "insubordinate". Are you kidding me? Gudbranson's one of the few players on this lazy, one-dimensional Kingston club who actually shows heart and work ethic out there.

Second, it paints poor Dougie Gilmour as this great little coach who got unjustly disrespected by some snot nosed brat kid. The fact is, anyone who has followed Kingston since Gilmour signed as coach would tell you that it's been an ongoing complaint of everyone how Gilmour has shown little commitment to being a full-time coach, and how much of a joke the team's practices are compared to the other teams in the OHL. The fact that Gudbranson supposedly called him out on the farce they call practices makes me respect Gudbranson even more.

Bottom line is, if this was any other organization, this might raise some flags about Gudbranson's character. But since it's the Kingston Frontenacs, you really shouldn't put any sort of stock into it. They've got a long track record of being an absolute joke and laughing stock of junior hockey. It's about time one of their players actually stepped forward and took them to task on how unprofessionally they run the team.

I posted a link to a different article about the situation in the prospects thread. That one doesn't quite have the Gilmour-friendly slant on it that this one does.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:03 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

great work by Holy on the comments section....good job HJ.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
great work by Holy on the comments section....good job HJ.
Just quoted some stuff that Sidney the Kidney said. I wouldn't know anything about the situation if it weren't for his inside knowledge.

EDIT: I'd actually suggest Sidney the Kidney post in the comments section there, particularly the stuff in his last post in this thread.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Bottom line is, if this was any other organization, this might raise some flags about Gudbranson's character. But since it's the Kingston Frontenacs, you really shouldn't put any sort of stock into it. They've got a long track record of being an absolute joke and laughing stock of junior hockey. It's about time one of their players actually stepped forward and took them to task on how unprofessionally they run the team.

I posted a link to a different article about the situation in the prospects thread. That one doesn't quite have the Gilmour-friendly slant on it that this one does.
So I guess Gudbranson will step forward here, as well? Y'know...since the Panthers have been...a joke, to say the least.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:03 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
So I guess Gudbranson will step forward here, as well? Y'know...since the Panthers have been...a joke, to say the least.
Based on what Sid is talking about with regard to Gilmour, its obviously not the same situation in the least. If Deboer was taking days off during the week and not around for practices, I dont think Pete would even have a job long enough for Gudbranson to have to step forward here. I'm not concerned at all with this incident as its known how bad Kingston has been for some time.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:32 PM
vektorious

Thanks for the inside info guys...This paints Gudbranson as a character guy that wants more from the junior organization and spoke up about it. Good to hear!

Old
01-22-2011, 03:26 AM
Acadmus
retired mod

Kind of makes Eric's decision to hold out for more money look like poor judgement on the part of his agent, doesn't it?

He could have been in the NHL helping with the Panthers' current depth problem on defense. Instead he's stewing on a suspension from a badly-run junior team. Karma's a *****.

And no, I'm not hoping he's a failure, I want him to learn from this lesson. Don't let your agent destroy your hockey career by talking you into poor choices.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 06:37 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Kind of makes Eric's decision to hold out for more money look like poor judgement on the part of his agent, doesn't it?

He could have been in the NHL helping with the Panthers' current depth problem on defense. Instead he's stewing on a suspension from a badly-run junior team. Karma's a *****.

And no, I'm not hoping he's a failure, I want him to learn from this lesson. Don't let your agent destroy your hockey career by talking you into poor choices.
But the thing is he actually benefitted from going back to juniors and improving his offensive game, particularly by playing in the WJC. As a result, I think Gudbranson and his agent are going to get more money now than what the Panthers offered. So not sure he'll learn the lesson you think he will. But I think both his agent and the Panthers will come to a compromise before next yr as I'm sure Eric wants out now and the Panthers will see he's improved in the areas he needed to and wiling to pay for it.

BTW, if anyone is wondering, yes he did sit last night in the loss to Guelph from looking at the boxscore.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:26 AM
vipersno8

Brief chat with Doug Gilmour about Gudbranson at the beginning of the highlights video!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MisterDB#p/u/0/wvIIh7NfSts

Doesn't really give anything away though!!!

Edit: Sorry the user removed the video for some reason while i was posting this!!

Last edited by vipersno8: 01-22-2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Sorry the user removed the video for some reason while i was posting this
vipersno8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektorious View Post
I agree. He played great at the WJC although he was on the 3rd defensive pairing. We will see...
Webster's defintition of florida panthers blueprint:

blueprint.

A plan and promise for future success with no guarantee, absolving one of any accountability for an undefined period of time.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Gudbranson44

ops. i just did something wrong. sry

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post

Do we know with any reasonable degree of certainty if it was the agent, the panthers, or Gudbranson himself who is responsible for the contract disagreements?

(I'm asking not arguing)

Southern Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote