HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Article : Apathetic Star prospect continues to fall (Gudbranson)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2011, 12:02 PM
  #26
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Hockey View Post
Do we know with any reasonable degree of certainty if it was the agent, the panthers, or Gudbranson himself who is responsible for the contract disagreements?

(I'm asking not arguing)
If i remember correctly, Tallon said the agent was greedy and unreasonable, and the agent said the panthers were stingy and non-cooperative.

I'm guessing both are true to some extent.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:32 AM
  #27
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,754
vCash: 80
Gudbranson's 'A' was returned to him Sunday afternoon, in the game against the Saginaw Spirit. So the net result was the team stripped him of the 'A' for two games (he was scratched for one, he played in the other). Two games.

IMO -- and this is based on following the Frontenacs organization for years, and knowing how they operate -- the fact the stripping of the letter lasted for a single game he played speaks volumes about how the coaching staff was in the wrong.

Why? Think about it. *IF* Gudbranson was really the "apathetic" player he was made out to be, why would the club give him back his letter already after a one game suspension and one game played without a letter? Surely they'd make him earn it back after a dozen games or so, where he proved he was no longer "apathetic" for a longer stretch than a single game? And if it was such a minor dispute between Gudbranson and the coaching staff, then why strip it at all?

This is my opinion, of course, but it seems to me that the stripping of the letter was nothing but a poorly thought out response by an egomaniac who threw a temper tantrum because Gudbranson called him on his team's shoddy practices and his own commitment to the team. And once Gilmour realized how petty he was being, he gave the letter back.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:48 AM
  #28
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Hockey View Post
Do we know with any reasonable degree of certainty if it was the agent, the panthers, or Gudbranson himself who is responsible for the contract disagreements?

(I'm asking not arguing)
I'm basing my comment on the comments I've seen several times over the years that suggests players leave the business decisions to their agents. They assume they won't understand the workings, but I know when a player calls his agent and says "get this deal done, I want to play for this team" then it usually happens. So I think it's a safe presumption that Guds was listening to his agent and not vice-versa.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
  #29
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Gudbranson's 'A' was returned to him Sunday afternoon, in the game against the Saginaw Spirit. So the net result was the team stripped him of the 'A' for two games (he was scratched for one, he played in the other). Two games.

IMO -- and this is based on following the Frontenacs organization for years, and knowing how they operate -- the fact the stripping of the letter lasted for a single game he played speaks volumes about how the coaching staff was in the wrong.

Why? Think about it. *IF* Gudbranson was really the "apathetic" player he was made out to be, why would the club give him back his letter already after a one game suspension and one game played without a letter? Surely they'd make him earn it back after a dozen games or so, where he proved he was no longer "apathetic" for a longer stretch than a single game? And if it was such a minor dispute between Gudbranson and the coaching staff, then why strip it at all?

This is my opinion, of course, but it seems to me that the stripping of the letter was nothing but a poorly thought out response by an egomaniac who threw a temper tantrum because Gudbranson called him on his team's shoddy practices and his own commitment to the team. And once Gilmour realized how petty he was being, he gave the letter back.
thx for the udate, greatly appreciated. Fingers crossed he is who we all think he is. Missing your first rounder sets a franchise back 3-5 yrs per the addage.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:25 PM
  #30
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 15,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Gudbranson's 'A' was returned to him Sunday afternoon, in the game against the Saginaw Spirit. So the net result was the team stripped him of the 'A' for two games (he was scratched for one, he played in the other). Two games.

IMO -- and this is based on following the Frontenacs organization for years, and knowing how they operate -- the fact the stripping of the letter lasted for a single game he played speaks volumes about how the coaching staff was in the wrong.

Why? Think about it. *IF* Gudbranson was really the "apathetic" player he was made out to be, why would the club give him back his letter already after a one game suspension and one game played without a letter? Surely they'd make him earn it back after a dozen games or so, where he proved he was no longer "apathetic" for a longer stretch than a single game? And if it was such a minor dispute between Gudbranson and the coaching staff, then why strip it at all?

This is my opinion, of course, but it seems to me that the stripping of the letter was nothing but a poorly thought out response by an egomaniac who threw a temper tantrum because Gudbranson called him on his team's shoddy practices and his own commitment to the team. And once Gilmour realized how petty he was being, he gave the letter back.
This confirms my long-held belief that Gilmour is a ****tard.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:41 PM
  #31
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,754
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
This confirms my long-held belief that Gilmour is a ****tard.
Speaking of Mr. Gilmour, here's some quotes of his about the "incident" after the win against Saginaw.

Quote:
"That was an internal thing that was overblown and should never have got out (to the media) in the first place," remarked Gilmour. "As far as I'm concerned, he and (captain Taylor) Doherty are co-captains on this team. Both are leaders.

"The incident is over and done with," Gilmour added. "Erik handled it in a professional manner and we've all moved on. All he did in Oshawa was have an unbelievable game and he was even better (on Sunday)."
If Gilmour a]thinks it was overblown and b]truly believes Gudbranson is one of the team's leaders, then why strip him of his 'A' for one game? I can understand a one-game team imposed suspension for "disciplinary reasons", but why embarrass the kid by also stripping him of his 'A' (which he later got back an entire two days later)?

Full link to the article here.


Last edited by Sidney the Kidney: 01-24-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.