HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Mason Raymond Needs to Go.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-06-2011, 10:52 PM
  #651
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Why is it that every time Raymond adds a new wrinkle it's a bad one? He uses his speed on the offensive end worse than anyone I've ever seen play hockey in my life. Earlier this year when he was struggling he started flying down the wing and throwing on the air brakes to shake the defender. It worked about three or four and set up the play so he could pass it to a trailer or cross-ice to Kesler for quick shot and a goal. However, now he does it 75% of the time he has the puck. The other 25% he skates into traffic and loses it or shoots it right into the goalie's midsection.

Raymond is fast until he has the puck. He never beats anybody 1 on 1. Ever. Even Bickell beat Bieksa 1 on 1 in the first round for a goal. Bickell!
I've mentioned this before, but since everybody already knows his stop-up move, he needs to switch it up occasionally he has great acceleration so why no fake a stop-up, then blow past the defender. Raymond's biggest problem is that he just isn't very creative when he has the puck on his stick (in fact, he's VERY predictable).

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:09 PM
  #652
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I've mentioned this before, but since everybody already knows his stop-up move, he needs to switch it up occasionally he has great acceleration so why no fake a stop-up, then blow past the defender. Raymond's biggest problem is that he just isn't very creative when he has the puck on his stick (in fact, he's VERY predictable).
Exactly. I'd even be happy to see him try and quickly step inside for a quick snap/slap/wristshot, using the surprised defender as a screen (a la Kesler). But you just don't see anything like that in his game. It's just never going to be there. Most of his goals are, surprisingly, scored by crashing the net and putting in rebounds.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:33 PM
  #653
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerDan View Post
Here here. There are a lot of idiots on these boards that don't really understand the game and seem to think that all you measure a player by is what they put on the scoresheet. Raymond is in a bit of a scoring slump, no doubt, but his intangibles have been excellent. His speed is opening up room for Kesler on offense, and his pk'ing has been exceptional. These are the types of things that get teams deep in the playoffs. I take Raymond over Grabner simply based on the fact that he brings these skills to the table when he isn't scoring. I'd hate to see what some people would be saying about Grabner if he was in Raymonds shoes right now.
I agree with most of this. His work rate is excellent and he's a very solid defensive player for this team.

However, where he fits moving forward is open to question. To me, right now, he is more of a 3rd line player than a second line one, and you have to look at upgrading offensively on the 2nd line heading into next year. Raymond has 7 goals in his last 56 games right now despite playing top-6 minutes with very good players (almost always with Kesler in particular) and that isn't good enough.

I'd be happy enough with him on the 3rd line ... but if Higgins can be resigned at something similar to what he's making this year, that makes Raymond pretty redundant.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.