HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you consider trading Brayden Schenn?

View Poll Results: Do you think Schenn could be moved in a deal?
Yes 21 19.81%
No 59 55.66%
Maybe 26 24.53%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-22-2011, 12:04 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
I was wondering if he is untouchable or not, and if there would be any interest in trading Schenn for some scoring help now. Not something that may or may not develop down the road. Do you think management would be looking to make a deal that would include Schenn for some immediate help.

A good young player (25-28) that has put up good numbers in the league on a fairly consistent basis.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

vCash: 500
Halls actually been playing center for the Oilers as of late, something having to do with Hemsky being out again I think ? I kid, it was Horcoff being out ... anyways, Hall for Schenn sure Tonellisghost, let's post that on the Oilers board and see how fast we get flamed ... I know you're being diplomatic and respectful of the other fans posting, but I tried to do a fast search of the Oilers board, and all I see is the usual Hemsky/Penner/Souray type trade proposals, which obviously won't get Schenn in return.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:33 AM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
I don't think Lombardi has the stones to pull off a major deal that would include Schenn. So, will he be traded? I'd imagine a slim to no chance. Would I trade him for the right player or players? Absolutely. I'd always trade potential for the sure thing as long as we're not talking Crosby or Ovechkin type potential.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING View Post
I don't think Lombardi has the stones to pull off a major deal that would include Schenn. So, will he be traded? I'd imagine a slim to no chance. Would I trade him for the right player or players? Absolutely. I'd always trade potential for the sure thing as long as we're not talking Crosby or Ovechkin type potential.
I don't think it has to do with stones, I think it has to do with logic. Trading Schenn makes little sense any way you spin it unless you're getting a bonafide star in return.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Love the user name, dude, LAHEY IS THE MAN!

Well as for your question, I do not think Schenn is available for anything short of massive overpayment. Sure, if some 40-goal fell out of favorite and were being moved under duress, it's possible Schenn could be used to outbid packages of picks and second tier prospects or something.

But overall, no, I don't think so, and if you are talking about Edmonton I am REALLY hard pressed to see what sort of deal could be made there. He would not be available for Hemsky and while Edmonton has some young, promising guys like MPS, Hall and Gagner I don't see the payoff there for the Oilers with the possible exception of Gagner. I think Schenn has a little higher ceiling than he does and whether or not that is true I think the Kings would only be interested in a really solid winger for him.

Schenn is pretty damn promising, big kid with great vision and instincts as well as an underrated shot. He will be the #2 center in L.A. next year, watch, they need one now and they are not going to splurge on one in free agency since signing Doughty, Simmonds, a respectable winger and enough guys to fill out the roster will eat up too much money to going blowing $3.5m-$5m on a pivot.

01-22-2011, 12:45 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Halls actually been playing center for the Oilers as of late, something having to do with Hemsky being out again I think ? I kid, it was Horcoff being out ... anyways, Hall for Schenn sure Tonellisghost, let's post that on the Oilers board and see how fast we get flamed ... I know you're being diplomatic and respectful of the other fans posting, but I tried to do a fast search of the Oilers board, and all I see is the usual Hemsky/Penner/Souray type trade proposals, which obviously won't get Schenn in return.
You wont find us talking about it there. We are interested in Schenn because he fills a need for us. Some of us think that we have some players that could fill a need for you, so it would help both clubs in theory.

If I look at things from a Kings perspective, I think Schenn fits well with Kopitar, JJ, Doughty, Quick/Bernier, Simmonds, Brown........ you guys have a nice young core, and other good prospects in the system, youve suffered this long, what's another year or two to make sure you get it right?

Some guys have suggested Penner and Hemsky for Schenn+, I have wondered about including Paajarvi or Gagner in a deal for Schenn.

I do think before any drastic trade like a Schenn deal, I would fire the coach first and see what happens. Im positive that Lombardi is just being patient, hoping the club turns it around before pulling the trigger on Murray. Your goal diff is very good last I checked, so you shouldnt be so far down in the standings.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I would trade him for that scoring winger we need. I wouldn't go out of my way to trade him, nor would I really want to part with him, but if the player is there, you have to pull the trigger. The player has to be elite, young, and proven - obviously these are rare qualifications which means the chances are very slim he will be moved, but it's possible, just like anyone is technically tradeable if the right deal comes a long. If the Devils were to go to the Penguins and offer Parise, Kovalchuk, Staal, and Zajac for Crosby, you bet your ass he would be going to New Jersey. Re-unite Staal brothers, get two franchise wingers to go a long with Malkin, and get a good center to replace that 2nd/3rd line slot, they would be golden going forward.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:13 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Exactly, simply being diplomatic and respectful of the visiting poster in the hopes that it can be passed along. A little respect given in the hopes that we can all get some in return.

I would never go and make that offer on the Oilers board for obvious reasons. I am just giving an honest answer to the initial question but for the sake of argument if another teams fans are coming here thinking that we would deal a player like Schenn, a player who was drafted and has been brought along with a specific set of instructions so that he can fill a specific need for our team making him a very valuable player for Hemsky or Penner or something like that then they are very seriously wrong but that wasn't what the initial question.

I mean I guess I would take Penner, MPS and a 2nd in 12 for Schenn, Moller plus a 4th in 11 if I was in a weird mood but I can also understand why a proposal like that wouldn't happen.

But like I said, to me the thing is that when people come around from our opponents boards asking questions, no matter what those questions are why not treat them with respect and civility? At least enough to take their question seriously. Like you said, be diplomatic.

If the OP had simply asked if we would consider trading Schenn for Hemsky or Penner in a poll question then I too would have been one of the people who laughed and simply passed this post by or checked No and then thanked them for the interest. But since they asked a viable open ended question I gave them an answer. Not an answer to an underlying unwritten question but an answer to their actual question.

Do unto others sort of thing I guess.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:49 AM
William H Bonney

Yes, I'd consider it but it probably wouldn't happen. The problem with trading Schenn is he's our only legitimate center prospect in the system right now. Some count Loktionov as well but he's going to be a winger here if he ever makes it full time IMO. If Schenn hits his potential, a setup of Kopitar/Schenn/Stoll/Lewis is pretty good going forward. The other issue though is we're also weak on the wing already and we don't have much in the way of surefire upgrades in the system there either. Ideally, we'd be moving a defensive prospect/current player to upgrade our wing/center depth and not moving Schenn and essentially creating an even greater weakness at one area for an upgrade at another.

With that, I just don't see the point in moving Schenn unless we're getting either an overpayment or someone that would contribute immediately. From an Oilers perspective, guys like Hall, MPS, and Eberle would certainly be intriguing but I don't think it makes sense from either perspective as I'm sure Edmonton would be looking to move guys like Hemsky, Penner, or Gagner first and we wouldn't be dangling Schenn for any of them. I think the most likely scenario would be Schenn getting moved (as the major piece) for a surefire star such as Zach Parise.

I think the most likely plan would be to move a guy like Thomas Hickey for another underachieving player/prospect in hopes that a change in scenery for both players would rejuvenate their careers, much like say the Mueller for Wolski deal last year.

01-22-2011, 04:42 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I wouldn't move him for immediate help in hopes of salvaging this season, that's for sure. If he's moved it should be to fill an important long term hole in the lineup, like a young #2 center, #1 winger or a top d-man. Obviously in most of those cases the Kings would need to add other pieces to make that kind of a trade.

He would look really good in Edmonton though, I can see why there would be interest. He's an exceptional playmaker so he'd be a great fit with the high end young goal scoring wingers there.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Hollywood

You guys overrate Schenn like something fierce... I would trade him in a heartbeat... He is not even remotely close to Kopitars ability at the same age... Schenn is a jack of all trades... High end... 2nd liner... probably a 3rd liner... His value now will never ever be as high...
This team has to take a gamble. Schenn solves nothing in this organization in the next 4 years... His value now could help us make the next level... The guy is 2ND LINER at best max potential...tops.
Dean... Do something please.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 05:09 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
You guys overrate Schenn like something fierce... I would trade him in a heartbeat... He is not even remotely close to Kopitars ability at the same age... Schenn is a jack of all trades... High end... 2nd liner... probably a 3rd liner... His value now will never ever be as high...
This team has to take a gamble. Schenn solves nothing in this organization in the next 4 years... His value now could help us make the next level... The guy is 2ND LINER at best max potential...tops.
Dean... Do something please.
Isn't that precisely what Kings fans wanted to Lynch Dave Taylor for(Trading youth and not letting it develop in the Kings system).?

Also I love your crystal ball you have, for all we know Schenn could be the next Froloaf, or the Next freakin Crosby.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Hollywood

If they wanted to lynch Taylor.... Well... What do you say to Dean Lombardi for trading Camm's?
What youth did Taylor give away?
Schenn is 3-4 years ( away) from reaching his potential. His potential is 50 pts....maybe 60... He is a very very very poor mans Jordan Stall. Hope they take advantage... 3rd liners usually don't get a lot in trades.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:39 AM
R0CKET

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Some of us Oiler fans were debating on whether or not Brayden Schenn would be available or not. Obviously the package coming to you would have to be substantial and most likely include a skilled winger that would have an immediate impact and possibly some other considerations added to the deal.

Do you think that Schenn could be included in such a scenario? Your input would be appreciated.
As an Oiler fan, you know better than any fans that anyone can be traded.

It all depends on what the trade is for?

Schenn could be dealt from my POV but it could only be ins some package that brought back Nash.

That's the only kind of deal that I would consider.

No - Brayden alone isn't worth all of that today and a deal from LA would have to include other significant pieces, but as a Kings fan I think he's the one prospect I would have to hold onto to see if he becomes a Big Star.

Guys with his huge top-end potential are very rare to get your hands on, with Brayden I want to find out if he's the real deal.

R0CKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Capn Brown

Personally, I would trade Bernier and/or Johnson before trading Schenn.

There are people convinced that the Kings have but a "two-year window" to win the Cup. These are the people who would trade Schenn. They can take their impulse-control issues and go straight to hell.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Orenji

Meh, if the Schenn turned out to just be a top second line center and put up 60~70 points a season, the Kings would probably have one of the top five center combos in the league with Kopitar/Schenn.

If the Kings kept Loktionov as our 3rd line center and Lewis as the 4th, it would be scary.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

No.

The Kings need a legit #2 center and Brayden so far looks to be the answer. Besides, what if he turns out to be like Mike Richards or even better?

HELL NO!

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:18 AM
LAKings4ever

To me the answer is simple, yes I would consider trading Brayden Schenn - not because I don't think he'll develop and not because we need to make a move now to salvage the season. The only reason to make a trade is to improve the team - if you trade high calibur players or prospects you (DL) best make sure it is the right move.

My goal is for the Kings to become a dominant force in hockey competing for and winning SC's - is that too much to ask for

By saying I will not trade this person or that person, the GM limits themselves from potential possibilities that could exist, so to me everyone that doesn't have a movement clause is available and all I ask is that the job gets done

LAKings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 05:33 PM
triplcrown

Schenn's WJC performance was a wake-up call.

He will be a dominant NHL player, in time.

He is not to be traded, period.

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 05:48 PM
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Nope. Lombardi has already stated that Schenn is going nowhere. Schenn will be the Kings 2nd or 3rd line center next year. Though he could bring a lot in a trade, in my opinion he's too valuable to the Kings right now.
It really depends what's coming back. No doubt Schenn is a star and highly skilled but he could very well be one of those players that don't quite pan out in the faster and stronger NHL. If that happens, he will be a small player with a big contract.

In most cases, I would take proven talent that could have a key role on the team over prospective talent.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 05:56 PM
vindogla

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post
Schenn's WJC performance was a wake-up call.

He will be a dominant NHL player, in time.

He is not to be traded, period.
I agree. Every team in the league could use a player like Schenn, including the Kings.

Bonus: We already have him!

vindogla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 06:33 PM
TopT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
It would have to be a three way deal with Paajarvi and a #2 center going our way.

TopT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 06:35 PM
TopT

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You wont find us talking about it there. We are interested in Schenn because he fills a need for us. Some of us think that we have some players that could fill a need for you, so it would help both clubs in theory.

If I look at things from a Kings perspective, I think Schenn fits well with Kopitar, JJ, Doughty, Quick/Bernier, Simmonds, Brown........ you guys have a nice young core, and other good prospects in the system, youve suffered this long, what's another year or two to make sure you get it right?

Some guys have suggested Penner and Hemsky for Schenn+, I have wondered about including Paajarvi or Gagner in a deal for Schenn.

I do think before any drastic trade like a Schenn deal, I would fire the coach first and see what happens. Im positive that Lombardi is just being patient, hoping the club turns it around before pulling the trigger on Murray. Your goal diff is very good last I checked, so you shouldnt be so far down in the standings.
Paajarvi+Gagner and you have a deal. MPS needs to get the hell out of Edmonton; to much hype about Hall there

TopT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:23 AM
s3machine*

**** no.

s3machine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:58 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3machine View Post
**** no.
You said it. BS is part of the long term core (no pun intended). Not only is he a good player he looks like he might have that leadership quality the Kings are sorely lacking. Never trade high draft picks until you're absolutely sure they aren't what you thought they were.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote