HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov claimed by Islanders. Will not report & Can't be traded

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Useful Idiot

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Useful Idiot Send a message via MSN to Useful Idiot
Can't believe a thread about Nabokov gets 30 pages.

Old
cheesecake factory

I think this is a poor move from Nabokov, the islanders have a plethora of young talent, and it's a matter of time before those players start to learn, get better, and emerge as better players

Give the islanders a few years, and they will be playoff contenders

Old
Markus1186

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetFoxes View Post
Realistically, how good are their chances at UFAs without claiming or suspending Nabokov?
Terrible! This won't make the slightest difference..

Old
01-22-2011, 03:01 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandreBurrows View Post
For example, if you had "respect" for a player, you wouldn;t scew him over that bad, they arent even a playoff team. Nabokov should and does feel like hes been screwed over and Snow has NO respect for him. I wouldnt want to play for them after that.

Snow should waive to show respect/.
Isles should respect and shouldn't screw with Tavares, Okposo, Streit, MacDonald, Moulson, De Haan, and the rest of their young players. Damn the Isles for trying to ice a decent line up! Don't they know they should just roll over and die!?!?

Old
kingdoughty

Haha i love this move by Naby. Islanders were dick heads for doing that to him in the first place

Old
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
To be fair his agent sent out message first that Nabokov would only go to a team where he had a chance to compete for the starting role.

Unless DiPietro spontaneously combusts he won't get that chance.
No, his agent sent out a message that said he to wanted to compete for a starting role. He didn't say he wouldn't report if he wasn't going to.

As I said before, if he couldn't outplay DiPietro, then he has no business playing for a contender and any other teams who put in claim should breath a sigh of relief.

Old
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
To be fair his agent sent out message first that Nabokov would only go to a team where he had a chance to compete for the starting role.

Unless DiPietro spontaneously combusts he won't get that chance.

uhhhh.... DiPietro can't stay healthy. Pretty sure that is common knowledge. I am pretty sure Nabokov has a better shot at getting games in as an Islander(injury-prone DiPietro + AHL level goalie) than as a Red Wing(Legit starter in Howard)

Old
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
I'd have to say around 75% of the time that's the way it works.

1. I don't believe Isles had the first priority, so they didn't know for sure if they'd get him.

2. His agent said he'd report to any team. Why would Snow need to talk to him first? Nabokov knew this could and most likely would happen, he should live up to his obligation.

You're grasping at straws.
How about a real source (twitter is often not a real one)?

I really don't know why people are now playing him I perfectly know I still might not end up as a DRW but both are playing within the rules simple as that.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:02 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Question is, do the red wings get first dibs on waivers if he gets put back on?

Because if he is this sounds like some sort of conspiracy .

But really, Islanders pick him up and Nabby says he wont report, then the islanders feel shocked or whatever, then put him back on waivers for the wings to pick him up. It is a way to try to get past the NHL with any pre organized deal as it doesn't look like the NHL could prove that they pre organized it.

Just a thought..

Old
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
I agree with this thought. Snow can pretty much tell Nabokov that he has two options: play for the Islanders or sit out the rest of the year. The latter won't help him get a nice contract at all.
Neither will the former. He's just having to decide between the best of two bad options. You could put anybody between the pipes for the Islanders this year and the result probably wouldn't be much different. At least by leaving a bit of mystery regarding how well he can still play, he's a worthwhile gamble. If he went to the Islanders and sucked, he loses that value.

Old
CR15

Possible that they are just trying to strong arm Snow hoping he says **** it and puts him back on waivers to land at a more desirable local. When Snow says your not reporting your not playing anywhere maybe he shows up to play.

Wouldn't put it past the typical ***** agent

Old
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
I did read my friend. So in your scenario:

Bob: Oh man, don't sign with the Flames dude.

Jim: Why not?

Bob: Because last year, I was playing in Europe, and then I decided I missed playing in North America, so I signed with the Blues.

Jim: Yeah?

Bob: Yeah, but I had to go on waivers first, and the freaking Flames picked me up on waivers. Without even talking to me first! What a-holes! I didn't want to play for the Flames so I said "Screw you guys" and they freaking suspended me!

Jim: Er what?

Bob: Yeah, they didn't just put me back on waivers so I could go to the Blues. What a bunch of jerks.

Jim: So I shouldn't sign them because they followed the waiver process and didn't bend when you demanded they let you go for no reason?

Bob: Yeah. Totally. Jerks. They also wouldn't give me a DeLorean time machine. I hate the Flames.

Why would a player be angry about a team following a league rule?

Again, the far more likely scenario is Bob will tell Jim to not sign with the Islanders because IT'S THE ISLANDERS, land of crazy Wang and Snow. This waiver wire pickup, I fail to see why it would piss off future UFA's.
Slight change needed.

Old
NewEnglandSportsFan*

Send a message via AIM to NewEnglandSportsFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
Jesus Christ learn to read for gods sake: if they suspend him = killing their chances with future UFAs, FAs you don't think the players around the league are talking to each other right?

Quote from nhl.com
""I haven't talked to the player yet. I've left messages," Snow told TSN. "We've booked him a flight out of Oakland we look forward to having him be a part of our organization.""

So Snow claimed a player without talking to him first?
sounds like a red wings fan is angry...

who cares? Nabby deserved this for his attitude. Let him sit out the year with no pay.

Gj NYI.

Old
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
That's a pretty dumb move on Nabokov's part. I understand that he doesn't wanna play for a terrible organization that has no chance at playoffs, but now he won't be able to play at all this season and he won't be back to KHL for sure. Next season, he won't get more than 500k for 1 year.
Wanna bet?

Old
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdoughty View Post
Haha i love this move by Naby. Islanders were dick heads for doing that to him in the first place
LOL another one who missed the agent's quote and the rule book

Old
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Doing what to him? They need a goalie. A competent goalie entered the market on waivers. They claim him. Pretty cut and dry standard NHL stuff.

Old
gongshowmonkey

Well I just woke up, so excuse me if this has been asked already.

So will the Islanders just suspend him if he doesn't report so that nobody can have him?

Old
01-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Tinalera

I'm interested to see what happens.

Is Snow the type of GM who will say "nuts to you, I'm not waiving you, so you can sit at home"?

Also, if he does get waived(waives his NMC) to go to Detroit-does this set a future precedent for future players who will insist on an NMC as well, then basically "I won't report" until they get to the team they signed with?

Its a small sample size, but he doesn't have the greatest stats coming back from the K-so why does Detroit want him?

As for the Isles, they've done nothing wrong IMO. See, if Nab doesn't get claimed by NYI, at such a low salary, and he goes to Detroit, who are pretty high up in the standings, then charges of "Collusion" would fly all over the place-the idea "no one claim Nabakov because we signed him".

Old
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
If you can explain how I would love to hear it.

Old
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
Can't believe a thread about Nabokov gets 30 pages.
this is actually the second thread.. so its 72 pages

Old
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

LarryLage Larry Lage
by dchesnokov
Injured Chris Osgood on the NYI claiming Evgeni Nabokov away from Det: "...The Islanders are terrible so I'm not sure why they did that."

LOL

oh im late to the party...

Old
01-22-2011, 03:04 PM
RebelMe
The Last Unconcussed

Send a message via ICQ to RebelMe
Predictable move by Nabokov. I just hope that Islanders will go ahead with this and suspend his stupid ass.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:04 PM
robat19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
How about a real source (twitter is often not a real one)?

I really don't know why people are now playing him I perfectly know I still might not end up as a DRW but both are playing within the rules simple as that.
How is twitter not a real source? I don't get people that still say that. Guys that work for TSN, CBC, The Sporting News and other news outlets are real sources.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Dan-o16

What's really funny about the claim that the Isles are screwing their reputation with free agents and their agents is.... their reputation is already screwed with free agents. It's an organization with a bad present, an uncertain future, and questionable (to say the least) leadership.

Pretty silly, no?

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
01-22-2011, 03:05 PM
kingdoughty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Doing what to him? They need a goalie. A competent goalie entered the market on waivers. They claim him. Pretty cut and dry standard NHL stuff.
Naby comes back to play on a good team then gets swiped by a ****** team. I understand why they did it I would prob do the same but either way its a dick move. Put urself in his shoes rather than looking from the management standpoint..

Closed Thread