HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov claimed by Islanders. Will not report & Can't be traded

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

vCash: 500
Lets play devils advocate here Nabby is 35 he could easily say **** it so his NHL career would be over then what?

Don't know but it could also be a big gamble on his side like "ok I'm coming back for a last cup chance" if this doesn't happen screw it.

For me the situation on both sides is clear the only thing to blame here is this stupid rule.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:43 PM
robat19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaylock38 View Post
If the Islanders put him back on waivers, do the Wings have the #1 priority because of their initial contract?
I thought so, but:

http://twitter.com/#!/CraigCustance/...18075273252864

Old
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
If the Islanders put him back on waivers, do the Wings have the #1 priority because of their initial contract?
No, and my thinking is that Nabby had it in mind to not report to the team that claimed him, hoping they would put him back on waivers, and scare off other teams from than subsequently claiming him because he will not report.

What the braniac doesn't understand is his NHL career is now over until he reports to the Islanders. He was free to wait until July 1st, he didn't, he gambled, and he lost.

Yeah, it's Snow's fault alright. The Islanders are the fall out team right now, but whoever claimed him was going to get this treatment.

Old
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

What's with the fixation on here over assigning "blame"?

Old
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
i think most people are wondering why they didnt just keep roloson instead of burning detroit and forcing a goalie in his 30s to no mans land. Its the bi-polarness of it that bugs people.

Two weeks ago they trade their goalie to tank and two weeks later they need some wins
At the time of the Roloson trade that Isles did Roli a favor and showed good faith by moving him to a SC contending team and getting a good asset (Wishart) in return, also Lawson was healthy and the Isles had faith in him to backup DiPi who also was healthy at the time.

Snow basically traded Roloson for Wishart/Nabakov.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliesGirlie View Post
Everyone keeps bringing up the trading of Roloson and why they did that only to claim Nabby.

I think (and I may be totally off base) that trading Roloson was a favor to Dwayne, he was a class act on the Isles both on and off the ice. He wanted to play for a contender and a chance at a strong playoff run, so the Isles gave him that.
They also might have over-estimated DiPietro's work load capability when they made that trade.

Old
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
If he or his agent would have said "If I am claimed by a team who I feel does not give me a chance at winning a Cup or increasing my value for next year, I will not report." I don't think many people would have a problem.

From what was reported, all the memo said was that he hopes and/or expects to compete as a #1. It didn't say a #1 for a contender, or if he's claimed to be a back up he won't show up.

Even if it did, Snow would still have a right to claim him to block him from helping another team.
Exactly. Islanders are doing nothing wrong here, if anything, they are doing the right thing in trying to make themselves better. If Nabokov really doesn't want to be a part of it, well too bad, don't play the rest of the year.

Old
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
Lets play devils advocate here Nabby is 35 he could easily say **** it so his NHL career would be over then what?

Don't know but it could also be a big gamble on his side like "ok I'm coming back for a last cup chance" if this doesn't happen screw it.

For me the situation on both sides is clear the only thing to blame here is this stupid rule.

Hey

Quote:
false his agent sent a memo saying that he would only report to contenders.
Still waiting on some proof? Or are you willing to admit you are just making stuff up

Old
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
I imagine he's going to report once the dust blows over. I understand this situation is far from ideal, but you guys do understand one thing:

He is now going to be suspended. He is not allowed to sign a new contract until he reports to the Islanders and they no longer have him suspended. Those of you posting "THIS SEASON" have no idea what you are saying(How ironic)

Notice how Radulov still has to report to Nashville when he comes back to the NHL, if ever, because he's not only suspended, but property of Nashville.

Dur Dur Durrrrrr. Nabby is only screwing himself. I don't blame him for not reporting, but he's the one that left the NHL. So deal with it.
This is correct. Good post.
Quote:
No. The waiver order is always based off of league standings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
if thats the case than it should be perfectly fine.. snow did what he should've done to make his team better.. nabby is doing what he has the right to do which is not play for a team that clearly has no chance to compete for the cup..
It's not the case. The poster you quoted is misinformed.

Old
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
No, and my thinking is that Nabby had it in mind to not report to the team that claimed him, hoping they would put him back on waivers, and scare off other teams from than subsequently claiming him because he will not report.

What the braniac doesn't understand is his NHL career is now over until he reports to the Islanders. He was free to wait until July 1st, he didn't, he gambled, and he lost.

Yeah, it's Snow's fault alright. The Islanders are the fall out team right now, but whoever claimed him was going to get this treatment.
i doubt it.. if it were a team hovering around the playoffs i think he would report.. apparently SJ put in a claim for him as well and if they were the firsts i would assume nabby would ahve no problems going back ther.. but this is all merely speculation obvs

Old
01-22-2011, 03:45 PM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

If Nabokov reports to Islanders, why he can't be traded? Can you explain me or give me that part of CBA, where that is stated?

Old
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

The general feeling within the NHL community is that Nabokov will not clear waivers tomorrow. That his relatively low annual salary -- $570,000 is only $70,000 more than the league minimum -- and favorable cap hit will entice teams to perhaps bring him in to replace a less experienced backup goalie who in some cases is already making more than $570,000.-McKenzie

Not sure of the Isles backup salaries, but....

Old
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
This is correct. Good post.

No. The waiver order is always based off of league standings.

It's not the case. The poster you quoted is misinformed.
well that was why im asking if anyone knew.. the poster that i quoted, quoted bob mckenzie.. and it would make sense that bob mckenzie from tsn knew what he was talking about

Old
01-22-2011, 03:46 PM
SomeDude

Quote:

Cool, let's get rid of this rule.

Then when Sundin, Sakic, Forsberg, Jagr, and Niedermayer go over to Europe to get in shape and sign with the Pens for the league minimum after the All-star break, you're still gonna think this rule is stupid.

Old
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
false his agent sent a memo saying that he would only report to contenders.

So you just make things up?

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Nabokov's agent Don Meehan sent a letter to all NHL teams prior to signing saying Nabokov wants to be able to compete as a starter.

10:48 PM Jan 20th via Twitter for iPad

Where does that say contenders only?

Old
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Maybe Nabokov playing in the East will allow more people to see his name, so they can stop spelling it as Nabakov

Old
robat19

Quote:
Originally Posted by despec View Post
Hey

Still waiting on some proof? Or are you willing to admit you are just making stuff up
Pretty sure the original statement was that he only wanted to go somewhere that he had a shot at being the #1 goalie.

Old
Loffen
Wen Kroy

http://twitter.com/larrylage

Injured Chris Osgood on the NYI claiming Evgeni Nabokov away from Det: "The Islanders are terrible so I'm not sure why they did that."
---------------

I lol'd.

Old
deekortiz3

Radulov was in the middle of a three year contract. He is a different situation.

Aside from that no one has managed to provide any proof that Nabby can't sign anywhere he wants this summer.

Old
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by despec View Post
This is after he was claimed... before his agent said he would report to any team.
was updated a 3:36PM ET and says directly in the title:
"SAYS HE WILL NOT REPORT"

unless you can show me something else...

Old
01-22-2011, 03:47 PM
HoosierDaddy

Is everyone insane?

What have the Isles done to compete, besides loading up on Flotsam & Jetsam to fill their roster the last 10+ years? The trade away their decent players for picks, sign minor leaguers, stock up on draft picks (which they blow btw), spend the league minimum (if that), and on on and on ad infinitum.

The (Dis)organization has done nothing to be competitive. Why get in the way of legitimate teams trying to field competitive teams to try and win something.

I never thought I'd say this, but damn I feel bad for Islander fans. I just know they will not be able to keep their players if this continues. Bye bye Tavares and the rest of your lottery picks. Unlike many I do not believe the Islanders have a bright future. They're too dysfunctional.

Apologies to Islander fans for the bluntness.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:47 PM
dbaz

Bob Mckenzie posted all the info on this whole thing last night heres the coles notes:
Any team can claim him, if he doesn't report to the team they have 2 options.
1.suspend without pay=done for season
2. put him back on waivers.

If put back on waivers the same process is gone through again meaning every team has a shot at him. Meaning if multiple claims are put in the worst team gets him. Detroit doe not get preference. Also if people were following closely Nabokov did say he wouldn't play for a non contender about 1-2weeks ago.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Tachycineta

Now, the only thing I'd like clarification on is if he would for sure be a UFA on July 1st or if this "contract refusual to report" could make him property of the Isles in the 11-12 season. When the dust settles, he may well report.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Old
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatsu View Post
If Nabokov reports to Islanders, why he can't be traded? Can you explain me or give me that part of CBA, where that is stated?
Even if he waives his NMC, he would have to be put on waivers before he could be traded (or be offered to any other team who put in a claim the first time, I don't remember which one).

Old
lsx

There's a script for all of this somewhere, you know that Meehan has a flow chart mapped out for exactly what moves they will make based on what happened in the waiver process.

Closed Thread