HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders Claim Nabokov (Won't Report & Suspended)

Old
01-22-2011, 12:49 PM
TheBoss22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
I am pretty sure Detroit would get first claim.
How do you figure?

The priority is the reverse order in the standings. Ottawa or Buffalo would most likely put in a claim.

Also, Nabby has a no-movement clause (unless he grants his permission).

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:51 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
love it. hope he enjoys his time and considers re-signing here. always was a fan of his. huge improvement over balsa rick.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:52 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet View Post
You guys are very lucky to recieve a goalie of Nabbys caliber. he'll instantly make you guys a better team. It really will be weird for me to look at him in an islanders jersey after all those years in teal.

If you guys decide you guys are out and Wang wants to cut payroll and bring up young kids, remember hes a shark for life and we will have him back at any time. just send him to us and we'll pay anything resonable

Rather have him an isle then wearing the damn red and white though
Having lived in Northern California from 1999-2006, I got to see Nabakov mature from a young

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:52 PM
rahul

Anyway, as someone who became an Islanders fan the last few years from afar (we do exist, haha -- and sorry DP bashers, mostly because of him!), who is also a Sharks fan, I think this is awesome! The vaunted Sharks defense was mostly young too.

rahul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
this is a great move.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:53 PM
crashthenet

Strang intimated that there would be a DiPietro story today after saying he and Rahkshani practiced.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
How do you figure?

The priority is the reverse order in the standings. Ottawa or Buffalo would most likely put in a claim.

Also, Nabby has a no-movement clause (unless he grants his permission).
I thought that was the rules after reading the rumors that the Devils were going to claim him, then wait a week and put him back on waivers for the Wings.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:00 PM
macleod50

I'll be shocked if he reports.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Augscura

Wow!! Awesome. I wanted Garth to do this, great move.

Augscura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:05 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Sharks fan here, i come in peace.

Congrats on getting Nabber for, well, nothing. He's a top 10 NHL goalie when on his game, he's athletic and can make some amazing saves. He has at times, let in a soft one, say via 5 hole, that made us Sharks fans a little crazy at times. He reads plays well, and does cheat a bit which can be a problem. He likes the poke check on breakaways. He's kind of a hybrid butter fly stand up tender. Quick with good reflexes.

It will be very strange to see him in a Isles jersey as others have stated, best of luck with him!

As a sharks fan i'm just glad we won't have to plav against him, at least this season unless we both reach the finals.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Otto91

This is so sweet....Nabby an Islander.....

I know it says we can not go out and trade him right out but can he be traded at the trade deadline?

Not sure...but Can Snow trade him to the Wings at the trade deadline? anyone know if we can?

But another thought is with the 2 up and coming young Russian players would it be wise to hold onto him?

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:07 PM
HamiltonRedWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJo View Post
I still think this is pointless. We are out of it already. Let DP and Lawson play the year out. Send poulin down. If Lawson is hurt then take one of the goalies from Tampa off their hands or something. Don't piss anyone off. Don't mess with your lottery pick.
+Respect

You guys are sitting 28th in the league, and most likely would have been jumped by the Devils and Oilers, leading to a great chance @ the number 1 pick. Now what?

HamiltonRedWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:08 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Red Wings I View Post
Sorry, just bitter
Oz is on his way back, already on the bike and training after a looong time nagging injury is dealt with.

I think you're better off without Nabakov (yes, I've seen his playoff game and know Babcock would start him over Oz, even Howie).

You still owe us some more for Jim Devellano, though So you can start by eliminating Chicago and Analheim and hopefully the Canucks will be out by then. We'll do our best at yet another draft table.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJo View Post
I still think this is pointless. We are out of it already. Let DP and Lawson play the year out. Send poulin down. If Lawson is hurt then take one of the goalies from Tampa off their hands or something. Don't piss anyone off. Don't mess with your lottery pick.
lawson is hurt and now isles can send down poulin. why trade assets to tampa when you can pick up a goalie on waivers? and who is pissing off who? a player had to go on waivers, and whether it was the isles or not, someone would have picked up nabakov.

and dont mess with your lottery pick? effff that. this team has been winning games lately and i like that.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Kenny Bania
Thats gold Jerry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonRedWings View Post
+Respect

You guys are sitting 28th in the league, and most likely would have been jumped by the Devils and Oilers, leading to a great chance @ the number 1 pick. Now what?
Bitter Red Wing fans are supposed to report here.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=867900

Kenny Bania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Wow, was not expecting that.

I wonder if he will even report.

Wouldn't be surprised if Snow throws him back on waivers in a week for Detroit, and gets a pick out of it or something.
Why would he not report? Does he not want to play anymore at this stage?

Nabokov has more to gain in reporting than not doing it.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:22 PM
leeroggy

Nabakov

Immediately extend him for one year at $2,000,000 and trade him in the off-season when the movement restrictions come off. He should have some decent trade value by then.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:22 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonRedWings View Post
+Respect

I don't see why we'd be passed by the Devils and Oilers when we passed them by starting to win games. The #1 pick **** is nonsense - this is a weak draft class (no clear cut #1) and you never know what a player will turn into.

I love this move. I'm tired of seeing this team lose and I'd much rather the team barely misses the playoffs than another lottery pick (as ridiculous as that sounds to all the yoooouth people). If we manage to finish 10th in the East, it shows your young team is improving and getting more experience. If you finish 14th and not add solid veteran players when you can nab them for $250k, you're giving less and less reason for your players to want to stick around and give their best effort.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Lotta butt hurt Wings fans on the "Trade" page.

My reply from that page's Nabby thread:

Only in the world of HF is losing a bonfide way to win (with higher draft picks)

GOD FORBID Garth Snow does something to make his team better! I mean...COME ON! Its okay for other teams, but not the Isles. NO! Not the Isles.

Rick DP will always be a crapshoot. He'll always be on the verge of being hurt.
Lawson: A 27 year old AHL journeyman. Who got hurt last night.
Poulin: He needs to stay in the AHL. Long term thinking here.

So, with a goalie that could have a career ending injury any day, an AHL journeyman who is hurt, and a kid who needs to develop properly...Why wouldn't the Isles claim Nabby?

I know, I know...just like my avatar states, we're a farce. The laughing stock of the NHL.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Yashin for President

I dont think he is a bitter Red Wings fan, he is right. Say goodbye to top 5 draft pick. As long as the Isles are going in the right direction and our core youth is playing well I am all for it. But to see the likes of Larsson or Landeskog go really hurts. I just want to watch good hockey, lets go Isles.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:41 PM
BillD

Look, if nothing else, maybe this helps to restore some credibility to this team around the league. It shows we will spend some money (maybe not a lot of it) to make the team closer to an NHL product.
No downside here as was said, Poulin can go back to developing his game at B'Port.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Isles Junkie

it'll be pretty embarrassing if he refuses to report. i wouldn't blame him though.

I kind of don't like this move actually. it just pisses off a potential future trade partner. I understand the need for another goalie, but there had to be someone else out there to get that wouldn't **** with another teams plans.

I get that the isles need to remain competitive, and I'm glad that they now have a good veteran goalie. But i'd be ticked off if I wwere the wings. It would be one thing if the Isles were making a playoff push, but they're not.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:43 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Tampa Island

Love the claim. I think he'll report because he wants to audition for a contract next year, as he as previsously stated himself.

So I look foward to seeing him in an Isles uniform. Love the DP/Nabby combo!

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:51 PM
ViD

He was pretty average in KHL, don't expect too much from him

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

If he earned $570K for what's left of the season maybe his next contract would be around $1.25M/year.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote