HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Islanders Claim Nabokov (Won't Report & Suspended)

Old
01-22-2011, 12:54 PM
tool123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
I dont think he is a bitter Red Wings fan, he is right. Say goodbye to top 5 draft pick. As long as the Isles are going in the right direction and our core youth is playing well I am all for it. But to see the likes of Larsson or Landeskog go really hurts. I just want to watch good hockey, lets go Isles.
The Isles are going to be a top 5 pick team with or without Nabokov. This acquisition does not make Isles unbeatable the rest of the way. In order for the Isles to not be a top 5 pick they need to catch Buffalo and Ryan Miller! And I don't see just obtaining Nabokov is going to make this team an over .500 team. We were a last place team with Roloson, were going to be with Nabokov.

tool123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Stats01

He has to report if he wants to play in the NHL this year. Or he sits out and waits it out until July 1st. Second he said he would report because he's playing for a contract next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he re-signs with NYI if he and the team play well. You guys have a tonne of cap space.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 12:56 PM
TJ MAC

Great claim. If anything it could be a confidence boost to the younger players. Why give up half way through the season to maybe assure a higher draft pick. Thats not how teams build character.

TJ MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Randizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Per Katie Strang and everyone on twitter.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=350550

Actually Incarecrated Bob broke this news before Nabokov was signed by the Red Wings, its funny how certain posters hate on him but his Islanders stuff has been spot on (Wiz trade , Rollie Trade , Nabokov signing) also Langenbrunner pending trade he was all over it.

People (HATERS) love to harp on the Semin trade rumor , but if you read what he actually tweeted then you would know the Caps "OFFERED" the Islanders the package but it was never a 100% done deal.. But hey haters talk now about Incarcerated Bob

**BREAKING NEWS** NY Islanders have let it be known that they will put a claim in for Evgeni Nabokov if he is signed by any NHL team
12:16 PM Jan 20th via web

Randizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Isles Junkie

^^^how about we just don't talk about Incarcareted Bob, because he is so damn irrelevant to this conversation.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:07 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
He was pretty average in KHL, don't expect too much from him
This exactly. I think snowjob wants Poulin in the AHL where he belongs and this move makes that happen (inexpensive NHL goalie for the remainder of the season- I mean cmoe on how could he not make this move). Nabokov is not carrying the Islanders to the playoffs (or out of the bottom five) which is fine.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:07 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonRedWings View Post
+Respect

You guys are sitting 28th in the league, and most likely would have been jumped by the Devils and Oilers, leading to a great chance @ the number 1 pick. Now what?
Anyone here saying "WTF? Why sign him, just tank" needs to pull their head out from their ***....

I'll understand a little "boo-hoo" from Wings fans, but come on......

If you're ticked off that this messes with a possible lottery pick, go watch another freakin' sport. I hope the Isles catch a good win streak and wind up PICKING 19TH just so some of these defeatists either accept a step forward or pick a new team to circle like vultures.
The confidence these young players have is more important that another lottery pick; I'd rather see a good 1st draft pick

come to a confident team on the rise than a 1st overall go to a team with it's moxy all shot.

On that note, welcome Nabby.

PS: for everyone wondering/hoping he doesn't report, his agent stated publicly that he's playing for a contract next year. So he's coming....and we're not tanking. Live with it.

Last edited by 88th Precinct: 01-22-2011 at 01:18 PM.
88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Hershey Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine Springs View Post
Anyone here saying "WTF? Why sign him, just tank" needs to pull their head out from their ***....

I'll understand a little "boo-hoo" from Wings fans, but come on......

If you're ticked off that this messes with a possible lottery pick, go watch another freakin' sport. I hope the Isles catch a good win streak and wind up PICKING 19TH just so some of these defeatists either accept a step forward or pick a new team to circle like vultures.
The confidence these young players have is more important that another lottery pick; I'd rather see a good 1st draft pick

come to a confident team on the rise than a 1st overall go to a team with it's moxy all shot.

On that note, welcome Nabby.

PS: for everyone wondering/hoping he doesn't report, his agent stated publicly that he's playing for a contract next year. So he's coming....and we're not tanking. Live with it.
Wouldn't picking 19th entail us making the playoffs?

But I agree, this mentality of tanking for better picks is ridiculous. I'm so fed up reading about people who are upset because we might play ourselves out of a lottery pick. Maybe that's actually a GOOD thing because it means the team is improving. Unbelievable concept, right?

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Jakeman

I'm a yotes fan but I'm happy that you got Nabokov off the waiver wire and I hope he returns to form and work out like Brys did for us. He never stood a chance playing for the Red Wings due to the waver wire order and I don't understand why people are full of hate towards the Islanders. People on here saying he won't report are wrong as his agent has already said he would report to any team that claimed him for this year , so that he could get some exposure for next year. Good Luck!!

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:35 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJo View Post
I still think this is pointless. We are out of it already. Let DP and Lawson play the year out. Send poulin down. If Lawson is hurt then take one of the goalies from Tampa off their hands or something. Don't piss anyone off. Don't mess with your lottery pick.
BJO, we always agree but I gotta disagree with you here. this was a good pickup for many reasons. It makes the Isles better helping the young guys learn to win some games and gives Poulin time to develop in the A. And get Lawson back to the A too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonRedWings View Post
+Respect

You guys are sitting 28th in the league, and most likely would have been jumped by the Devils and Oilers, leading to a great chance @ the number 1 pick. Now what?
Waaaah. The point of sports is to WIN GAMES whether you are going to make the playoffs or not. Only on HF do people care more about ****ing lottery picks than actually winning hockey games. Unreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Bania View Post
Bitter Red Wing fans are supposed to report here.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=867900

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:38 PM
OlTimeHockey

We need 24 or 25 wins in the last 36 games to come close to 8th. Now we have a chance.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:38 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

first they were tanking when they traded roloson

now they are the worst managed team in hockey for picking up nabokov and trying to win

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickHands View Post
Actually Incarecrated Bob broke this news before Nabokov was signed by the Red Wings, its funny how certain posters hate on him but his Islanders stuff has been spot on (Wiz trade , Rollie Trade , Nabokov signing) also Langenbrunner pending trade he was all over it.

People (HATERS) love to harp on the Semin trade rumor , but if you read what he actually tweeted then you would know the Caps "OFFERED" the Islanders the package but it was never a 100% done deal.. But hey haters talk now about Incarcerated Bob

**BREAKING NEWS** NY Islanders have let it be known that they will put a claim in for Evgeni Nabokov if he is signed by any NHL team
12:16 PM Jan 20th via web
go back to jail bob

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

But only because some people on HF would rather see the long-term picture. Like it or not, for a few teams, winning in the future would mean getting high (if not lottery) picks and thus losing today.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:43 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyHockey View Post
Wouldn't picking 19th entail us making the playoffs?

But I agree, this mentality of tanking for better picks is ridiculous. I'm so fed up reading about people who are upset because we might play ourselves out of a lottery pick. Maybe that's actually a GOOD thing because it means the team is improving. Unbelievable concept, right?
THANK YOU- someone else who understands that being competitive means fighting until the last bell.

I know that team effort may look inconsistent at times, but they're young and they're coming along. I'd rather see the 'core' exit this season with a little swagger, knowing that management is trying (Snow's looking more and more 'very slightly better than not bad' on every deal he makes - yes, he's learning, too), and the ancillaries (Jurcina, Grabner, Konopka) play like there's a benefit in playing for a contract offer.

I think picking 19th gets us 3 spots out, though.

Old
01-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Jordan

Bob McKenzie reports Nabokov will NOT report.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Brunomics

According to Bob Mckenzies twitter he's not going to report.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:47 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

LOL.....great.....here comes the typhoon of gibbering, defeastist zombies......I'm putting on my cup & helmet.....

Old
01-22-2011, 01:48 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
According to Bob Mckenzies twitter he's not going to report.
I hope thats not true. I was just about to say the if we treat him well and get him to resign it might make things easier on Garth to attract other ufa's this summer.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

But only because some people on HF would rather see the long-term picture. Like it or not, for a few teams, winning in the future would mean getting high (if not lottery) picks and thus losing today.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Bob McKenzie reports Nabokov will NOT report.
Guess he doesn't want to play in the NHL this year. Hope karma bites him in the ass and plays horribly next season.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Wow, what a mess.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

if he doesn't report then that's his problem, the isles can suspend him and not pay him

his reputation takes a hit for being a prima donna

i guess with his sub .900 khl save percentage, he feels he should be immediately put on a contending nhl team

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

LOL we all knew that was a possibility no matter what his agent said.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:55 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Sorry to hear for you guys he won't report (for now). I see this as an opportunity for Nabokov, play and show the NHL that your still a good goaltender.

But I guess (and I can't blame him for that) he wants to play for a contender. I hope for your organization he still ends up playing for you guys. You could use some help in goal.

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Huddy

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy
What I don't understand is why ANY team put a claim in for him. He was available since December and just bc the Red Wings offer, means he's a hot commodity. It's embarrassing for the NHL and your fan base to have to go thru w this mess.

Nabby picked Detroit after not hearing from ANY team ove past 3 weeks and in baffles me that ANY team would claim him.

What a mess

Huddy is online now   Reply With Quote