HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Islanders Claim Nabokov (Won't Report & Suspended)

Old
01-22-2011, 02:00 PM
bossy22

vCash: 500
Enjoy the year off Nabby. Maybe you can showcase your 'stuff' elsewhere but not the NHL.

Much ado about nothing. We still need some help in goal but let's move on from this one.

bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:00 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickHands View Post
Actually Incarecrated Bob broke this news before Nabokov was signed by the Red Wings, its funny how certain posters hate on him but his Islanders stuff has been spot on (Wiz trade , Rollie Trade , Nabokov signing) also Langenbrunner pending trade he was all over it.
Let's see..

Weight being the new coach after Gordon got canned....Miss
The 72 hour signing window for Moulson or he'd be traded....Miss
Semin becoming an Isle...Miss

Looks like hes batting .500...obviously he knows some intern or someone

But relax...

Back to the OP:
Nabby is being somewhat stupid if he fails to report...thats something no NHL team wants to see.

A player thinking hes better than any team.

01-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
As per Bob McKenzie

Quote:
-- Nabokov's waiver period ends at 12 noon eastern on Saturday.
-- any of the NHL's 29 teams -- other than Detroit, of course -- may put in a claim on Nabokov.

-- if no team claims Nabokov, he becomes a member of DET's 23-man NHL roster.

-- if only one team claims Nabokov that team will be awarded him.

-- if more than one team puts in a claim on Nabokov, the team that is lowest in the standings (worst winning percentage) on the day Nabokov was put on waivers (today) is awarded the player.

-- as a pro player who has played in Europe after the NHL season has begun, Nabokov is subject to some specific waiver regulations (which are different from "normal" waivers for players who start and finish the season in the NHL) after the initial claim has been made.

That includes the following:

-- If the team that claims and is awarded Nabokov decides to subsequently trade or assign the player, they must:

a) put Nabokov back on waivers again, where any team, including the Detroit Red Wings, could then claim him. Again, priority claim belongs to the team lowest in the standings.
Only if Nabokov clears waivers would the team holding his rights be able to trade him.

b) get Nabokov's permission to put him on waivers and/or trade him as Nabokov, once he is a member in good standing of the NHL, has a No Movement Clause in his contract.

Only if those conditions are satisfied could Nabokov end up up with a team other than the one who claimed him on waivers from DET.

The bottom line here is as follows:

-- there is no way for DET to make any orchestrated "arrangements" to get Nabokov back from the team that claims him unless Detroit is successful in claiming him on waivers the second time around. If any team lower than Detroit in the standings put in a claim, Nabokov would go to that team.

-- there is no way for a team who claims and gets Nabokov to easily flip him in a trade as he must go through waivers again, giving every team including Detroit an opportunity to claim for nothing more than the set waiver price, which is $3,375.

So any team that claims Nabokov on waivers is likely to do so for the purpose of having him in their lineup for the balance of the season as Nabokov's NMC effectively controls when or if he moves again. The only way the team that claims and is awarded Nabokov tomorrow can subsequently get rid of Nabokov is with the player's permission.

The general feeling within the NHL community is that Nabokov will not clear waivers tomorrow. That his relatively low annual salary -- $570,000 is only $70,000 more than the league minimum -- and favorable cap hit will entice teams to perhaps bring him in to replace a less experienced backup goalie who in some cases is already making more than $570,000.

But given the waiver regulations on Nabokov and his no move clause, the team that claims him is likely to be committed to Nabokov for the balance of the season because he may not necessarily be easy to get rid of.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy View Post
What I don't understand is why ANY team put a claim in for him. He was available since December and just bc the Red Wings offer, means he's a hot commodity. It's embarrassing for the NHL and your fan base to have to go thru w this mess.

Nabby picked Detroit after not hearing from ANY team ove past 3 weeks and in baffles me that ANY team would claim him.

What a mess
OT but what the hell is your avatar picture ?

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:03 PM
rahul

Shaking my head, Nabokov may have just kissed his NHL career goodbye.

rahul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Renbarg

Pointless claim. Should have let this one be.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Andrea5174

I'm hoping Garth does his best Louis C.K. impression and tells Nabby to go S*** a BAG of D***s!!!

Andrea5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Dear Everybody!

I'm sure I speak for 95% of us here.

I don't care if Incarcerated Bob got it right.
I don't care if he got it wrong.
I don't care if he is in the clink or not.

I couldn't care less if Menopasual Loretta got it right!

Please, PM your petty spats about him.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Isles Junkie

yesh, what a disaster.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Finally some great news.... We have Nabakov a solid goaltender and hopefully he can play at the level he did in San Jose and then we resign him and he can start and DP backs up.

Poulin has done a great job up here, He can go back to BP with the mind set that he can hang with the big boys and he will be back in 2 years.

All we can do is hope DP now retires.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:12 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

What a mess is right

This sucks.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Gatorade*

How stupid is Garth Snow? He screwed a client of one of the most powerful agents in the biz. Anybody with a grain of sense knew he wouldn't report to the Isles as he was clearly looking to go to a contender.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OlTimeHockey

I think he'll come. He just got the bad news and it has to sink in.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rahul

Dutch Frost, sadly Nabokov is apparently not reporting.

As for how Garth Snow should have known, Nabokov's agent had said Nabokov would report to any team that claimed him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Finally some great news.... We have Nabakov a solid goaltender and hopefully he can play at the level he did in San Jose and then we resign him and he can start and DP backs up.

Poulin has done a great job up here, He can go back to BP with the mind set that he can hang with the big boys and he will be back in 2 years.

rahul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:

Uh...Dutch.

He's refusing to report to the Isles.

Old
01-22-2011, 02:15 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea5174 View Post
I'm hoping Garth does his best Louis C.K. impression and tells Nabby to go S*** a BAG of D***s!!!
^ WIN.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Brunomics

Quote:

I really hope your being sarcastic Dutch or have you just not heard the other half of what happened today of which you'll realize in the next minute or so.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
How stupid is Garth Snow? He screwed a client of one of the most powerful agents in the biz. Anybody with a grain of sense knew he wouldn't report to the Isles as he was clearly looking to go to a contender.
**** nabby and **** his agent

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

What a *********. Maybe someone will sit him down and talk some sense into him so that he understands that if he doesn't report, his career in the NHL may very well be over.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:23 PM
4Isles4*

ouchhhhh!!!! this is what i was affraid of.....because now its an even bigger story than it had too be.....see even if a FA was thinkin bout coming here hes gonna 2nd guess because everyones gonna be like...." you actually wanna go there?" this was the losing part of the gmble on Nabby....ohhh well were still a lottery pick and i suppose those players wont say please dont draft me....but the day that happens im done.....

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:26 PM
xECK29x

Good luck getting a contract next year Nabby! It was only 35 games and you had a chance to prove yourself. Oh well ballsy move by Snow, no harm done, only harm was to himself.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I really hope your being sarcastic Dutch or have you just not heard the other half of what happened today of which you'll realize in the next minute or so.
Sorry guys, I didnt read the whole article, I saw the post and got excited because I like Nabakov and thought he can actually help the team by providing decent goal tending while Poulin develops.

Its an oops moment for me

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:27 PM
JeffNYI

So how does this work?

Do we own his NHL rights next season then?

Surely the NHL can't just let him ignore the fact he signed an NHL deal?

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:28 PM
scott99

Nabby said he wanted to play in the NHL this year. The Isles ain't exactly the NHL. Its unfortunate for us, I think Snow was actually trying to do a smart thing for the team, sign the veteran goalie and send the kid back for some seasoning. Unfortunately our favorite team is the joke of the NHL. Plus, I can't blame Nabby for not wanting to wind up playing in front of our ECHL defense.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

I read, on here, that Nabby said he'd report to any team that claimed him.

Some (********) Red Wings fan is claiming that Nabby's agent sent every GM a memo stating that he'd only report to contenders.

So...uh...do we have proof either way?