HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders Claim Nabokov (Won't Report & Suspended)

Old
01-22-2011, 02:29 PM
BillD

vCash: 500
Detroit announcers chuckling over this on TV game right now.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Isles Junkie

They Islanders are going to put him back on waivers. What is more important here? Making an example out of him & ticking off the NHLPA or just moving past this whole situation and not ticking off the NHLPA (FUTURE FAs).

I realize the NYI have their troubles with FAs as it is, but hanging onto him doesn't help.

The Isles made the right move to put in the claim, but since he won't report then they're only hurting themselves by retaining him.

Last edited by IslesRock4: 01-22-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
How stupid is Garth Snow? He screwed a client of one of the most powerful agents in the biz. Anybody with a grain of sense knew he wouldn't report to the Isles as he was clearly looking to go to a contender.
How is he stupid?

His agent said he would report to any team that claimed him. His agent should of said he would only report to the Red Wings.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Arigold*

This speaks volumes about what Charles is doing on the Island. Players would rather sit out the rest of the NHL season than report to your team.

Arigold* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BillD

But he ain't going to MoFo City either.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
Pointless claim. Should have let this one be.
I disagree.
Lawson hurt his knee and had to leave last night's game.The doctors are gonna look him over today.

Poulin's shows promise,but doesn't look nhl ready.

This is the most games DiPietro has played in the last 3 seasons.The isles have to make sure they don't overwork him.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:33 PM
rahul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
I read, on here, that Nabby said he'd report to any team that claimed him.

Some (********) Red Wings fan is claiming that Nabby's agent sent every GM a memo stating that he'd only report to contenders.

So...uh...do we have proof either way?
What I'd read about the memo that was sent was that wherever he ended up, he wanted to play and not just sit. As for reporting to any team, that's from this article, http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....geni_nabo.html :

"Meehan said Nabokov will play regardless of where he ends up, nixing speculation that he would sit out the season if he were claimed by a club for whom he did not want to play.

“He wants to get visibility for next year,” Meehan said."

rahul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
How is he stupid?

His agent said he would report to any team that claimed him. His agent should of said he would only report to the Red Wings.
Fans are gullable if they actually believe that. Just look at the clauses to dissuade teams from grabbing him

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:37 PM
macleod50

I don't see why anyone cares one way or the other. Chances are very likely he wouldn't have reported to another non-playoff team as well.

Snow rolled the dice, Nabokov took his ball and went home. Nothing has changed for this team.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:38 PM
peter021

It cost the Islanders nothing to put in the claim on him, so why wouldn't you have? Nabokov not wanting to report is up to him and his agent, ultimately.

Can't fault the Isles for trying to improve a dicey goaltending situation right now. This is all still rather fluid, and we'll just have to wait for things to play out. Maybe Nabokov dons the orange and blue, maybe he gets dropped on waivers, or maybe he just takes the rest of the year off.

Time, and not speculation, will tell.

peter021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Otto91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Detroit announcers chuckling over this on TV game right now.
They can laugh all they want the last laugh is on Them! No Nabby For The Wings....

If he will not play here he will not play anywhere!

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Brunomics

I have a question since the Isles technically have a 1 year deal for Nabokov isn't he contractually obligated to play for the Isles and even if he sits out this year does he technically still owe them a year since the contract wasn't met?

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Otto91

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter021 View Post
It cost the Islanders nothing to put in the claim on him, so why wouldn't you have? Nabokov not wanting to report is up to him and his agent, ultimately.

Can't fault the Isles for trying to improve a dicey goaltending situation right now. This is all still rather fluid, and we'll just have to wait for things to play out. Maybe Nabokov dons the orange and blue, maybe he gets dropped on waivers, or maybe he just takes the rest of the year off.

Time, and not speculation, will tell.
Let Him Rot

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Fans are gullable if they actually believe that. Just look at the clauses to dissuade teams from grabbing him
It was reported by Mckenzie so I will take his word for it.

Why wouldn't his agent just say he will only report to the Wings?

Old
01-22-2011, 02:42 PM
rahul

Saw on the NYIslanders Twitter and on Katie Strang's Twitter that Garth Snow just commented he left a voicemail for Nabokov and has reserved a flight for Nabokov to Long Island. They are still not giving up on it.

rahul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:43 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigold View Post
This speaks volumes about what Charles is doing on the Island. Players would rather sit out the rest of the NHL season than report to your team.
Nabakov expected to be making a Stanley Cup run with the Red Wings.Instead he was told he'd be back up on one of the worst teams in the league.

You are 100% wrong if you think he'd have been happy signing with ANY of the teams looking at a top 5 lottery pick.

This moves pretty foolish of Nabakov.He had a chance to showcase himself to other nhl teams for the 2nd half of the season.

Btw,somebody oughta tell Tavares/KO/Moulson how horrible it is on LI.All of whom say they want to stay longterm.

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/12/31/j...rs-agent-says/

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11017/1118590-61.stm

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...re-on-rjs-dad/

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Silent Knight
"Resigns" you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post
If he will not play here he will not play anywhere!

Silent Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
It was reported by Mckenzie so I will take his word for it.

Because that is collusion

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Nabakov expected to be making a Stanley Cup run with the Red Wings.Instead he was told he'd be back up on one of the worst teams in the league.

You are 100% wrong if you think he'd have been happy signing with ANY of the teams looking at a top 5 lottery pick.

This moves pretty foolish of Nabakov.He had a chance to showcase himself to other nhl teams for the 2nd half of the season.

Btw,somebody oughta tell Tavares/KO/Moulson how horrible it is on LI.All of whom say they want to stay longterm.

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/12/31/j...rs-agent-says/

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11017/1118590-61.stm

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...re-on-rjs-dad/
And Nabakov said he would report to any team. Standard P.R. talk. When will you all learn?

But ya. I have a hard time imagining him reporting to any team not in the playoff race.

Quote:
Probably collusion as the above person said but also on the off chance he got picked up by a team he wanted to go to he could always point to the fact that he was willing to go anywhere and be a good little soldier. You can't believe anything that is said in the media. Its is all so calculated.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:51 PM
TennesseeJedd

I guess only Detroit fans are allowed to see their team try to improve itself, us Islander fans should really be ashamed of ourselves for wanting to see the Islanders add a piece that may actually help us win a few more games. Give me a break.

I hate to tell you Wing fans this but in case you didn't know, it is not the rest of the NHL's job to fall to their knees to help the Red Wingers of all teams to get better. There are actually some Winger fans who think there is some kind of back room deal that the "genius" Holland pulled with Snow that will put Nabokov on the Winger. Man and I thought Laugh fans were delusional

Last edited by TennesseeJedd: 01-22-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling
TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
And Nabakov said he would report to any team. Standard P.R. talk. When will you all learn?
But ya. I have a hard time imagining him reporting to any team not in the playoff race.

Probably collusion as the above person said but also on the off chance he got picked up by a team he wanted to go to he could always point to the fact that he was willing to go anywhere and be a good little soldier. You can't believe anything that is said in the media. Its is all so calculated.
Fine with me if standard PR talk makes him look like a dick.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

the guy wanted too much $ to stay w/SJ, he walked away from an offer from PHI, he walked from Russia, and now he walks from the team that claimed him.

i'd be happy to never see nabby in the NHL again and i am a big fan of his. or i was a big fan...

no one thought he'd be with the Red Wings, no one. so why WIngs fans even waste energy posting over this is stupid. they should be happy they have howard and not a playoff dog like Nabby

Blue Dot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Darth Bangkok

I`m kind of relieved about this. It had been too long without any very publicly embarassing drama for Isles. Now I don`t need to fear what`s next for a little while.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

I don't see why he wouldn't just report to any team though. Play 20-30 games, and if he plays well that just means he will likely get a bigger contract next year.

I doubt he is going to see any big offers this off-season if he doesn't play in the NHL this year.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Isles Junkie

“The Islanders are terrible, so I’m not sure why they did that.”

Chris Osgood

http://twitter.com/LarryLage

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote