HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Proposal Thread #3/Rumor thread (Both Oiler and Non-Oiler)

View Poll Results: Would you do this swap in the offseason?
Yes 3 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Official Proposal Thread #3/Rumor thread (Both Oiler and Non-Oiler)

Last one hit 1000+ posts so continue here

Old
01-22-2011, 02:22 PM
GDU

penner for joe colbourne at the deadline...

Old
01-22-2011, 02:40 PM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
He looks like a bust so far. Not even a ppg in the AHL.

Old
01-22-2011, 02:56 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
20 year old rookie AHLer playing 2nd/3rd line minutes at 0.5 ppg.

What a bust.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

What a bust.
And by no means a player yet as well

Old
01-22-2011, 03:10 PM
vb

Quote:

What a bust.
Would you trade Penner for a guy being out-produced by Teemu Hartikainen?

Didn't think so.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:13 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Would you trade Penner for a guy being out-produced by Teemu Hartikainen?

Didn't think so.
There's a difference between trading Penner for him, and him being a bust...

Old
01-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

vCash: 226
Penner to anyone looking to make a playoff push and can take Penner's salary with room to fit him into the lineup for a 1st + prospect!!

Atlanta fits the description perfect.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:26 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
Boston doesn't touch that with a 10-foot pole. Penner is not what Boston needs.
Quote:
I see you have never seen him play at the AHL or college level.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:36 PM
HemskyToHall*

1st Overall Pick for Seguin?

Bruins get to draft the long awaited blue chip defenseman prospect in Larsson and get rid of a struggling NHLer.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:37 PM
vb

Quote:
There's a difference between trading Penner for him, and him being a bust...
True, but I said he only looks like a bust/career AHLer so far. He still has a couple years on his ELC to turn it around.

At this point in time I wouldn't deal a roster player for him; not one that Boston would want anyway.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
1st Overall Pick for Seguin?

Bruins get to draft the long awaited blue chip defenseman prospect in Larsson and get rid of a struggling NHLer.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:41 PM
HemskyToHall*

Quote:
True, but I said he only looks like a bust/career AHLer so far. He still has a couple years on his ELC to turn it around.

At this point in time I wouldn't deal a roster player for him; not one that Boston would want anyway.
Penner Rookie AHL season:

77 GP 10 G 18 A 28 P

Colbourne Rookie AHL season:

42 GP 10 G 13 A 23 P

Old
01-22-2011, 03:43 PM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
I see you have never seen him play at the AHL or college level.
Yeah I don't think he's made a team yet that gets coverage on the west coast. I'm definitely curious to see how he uses his size and hopefully he eventually produces.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:48 PM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
Penner Rookie AHL season:

77 GP 10 G 18 A 28 P

Colbourne Rookie AHL season:

42 GP 10 G 13 A 23 P

And you're confident he'll transition the same way Penner has? There's some risk involved there.

I would hope that when/if Tambellini moves Penner he goes for a player that has a high chance to become a solid contributing NHLer. Someone that has a track record of 2-3 years of being one of the top players on their team. Joe C isn't there yet.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:51 PM
HemskyToHall*

Quote:
And you're confident he'll transition the same way Penner has? There's some risk involved there.

I would hope that when/if Tambellini moves Penner he goes for a player that has a high chance to become a solid contributing NHLer. Someone that has a track record of 2-3 years of being one of the top players on their team. Joe C isn't there yet.
of course, any player coming from college will struggle to adapt in the AHL level.

he'll only improve with a full ahl season under his belt.

Old
01-22-2011, 03:57 PM
GDU

considering the debate it actually sounds like its a fair deal lol, but yeah i dont think boston needs wants penner, they have a lot of big bodies who can score already...

Old
01-22-2011, 04:16 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Yeah I don't think he's made a team yet that gets coverage on the west coast. I'm definitely curious to see how he uses his size and hopefully he eventually produces.
He was one of the most dominating college players I have seen the past 10 years. He bounced between lines 1-3 his two years at University of Denver. He was a PPG player is first year in large part because he had really good finishers on his line. The 2008 team was really good, winning the WCHA with a 26-13-1 record. In 2009 they were a #1 seed in The NCAA with a 23115 record and at large berth.

He's done well at the AHL level and has developed better then most Bruin fans thought. He was the 2nd to last cut in Bruin Camp this year just missing out to Jordan Caron. (Both are back at The AHL level now).

When he was drafted he needed to add weight, and he is finally up to 213 which might be good enough for The NHL. He's 6-5, great play maker and has great scoring touch. The knocks on him are:
1. Not physical for his size
2. Coasts and relies too much on talent

I've seen him live at the college and AHL level and he has a ton of talent, does he reach it? Not sure. Right now, if I had to project him, I would say he looks to be a 22-33-55 type 2nd line center / wing. His potential is 30-50-80 though, and as of right now I only give him a 20% chance of reaching it. I just don't see the drive and fire, but he has a TON of talent.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:56 PM
rockinghockey

I think that when people project prospects they alway over project them, an 80 point player in the NHL, there are not too many of them.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:56 PM
rockinghockey

I for one would be ok with trading both Penner and Hemsky as I think that in the long run we would be better without them. They are not the type of vertern leaders a team should have.

Old
01-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Fourier

Quote:
He was one of the most dominating college players I have seen the past 10 years. He bounced between lines 1-3 his two years at University of Denver. He was a PPG player is first year in large part because he had really good finishers on his line. The 2008 team was really good, winning the WCHA with a 26-13-1 record. In 2009 they were a #1 seed in The NCAA with a 23115 record and at large berth.

He's done well at the AHL level and has developed better then most Bruin fans thought. He was the 2nd to last cut in Bruin Camp this year just missing out to Jordan Caron. (Both are back at The AHL level now).

When he was drafted he needed to add weight, and he is finally up to 213 which might be good enough for The NHL. He's 6-5, great play maker and has great scoring touch. The knocks on him are:
1. Not physical for his size
2. Coasts and relies too much on talent

I've seen him live at the college and AHL level and he has a ton of talent, does he reach it? Not sure. Right now, if I had to project him, I would say he looks to be a 22-33-55 type 2nd line center / wing. His potential is 30-50-80 though, and as of right now I only give him a 20% chance of reaching it. I just don't see the drive and fire, but he has a TON of talent.
Given your description of Colbourne I am quite curious as to why you would say that
the Bruins would not touch this trade.

Is it realistic that he plays center on the top two lines for a team that has Krejci, Seguin, Bergeron and Savard.

The concerns you list for Colbourne are similar to those that many have for Penner. The difference being that Penner has actually met what is likelystill optimistic though perhaps reasonable expectations for Colbourne.

Old
01-22-2011, 06:05 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Given your description of Colbourne I am quite curious as to why you would say that
the Bruins would not touch this trade.
1. Penner to Boston makes zero sense. He isn't what Boston needs. The Bruins have enough 2nd line type players. Penner is in the same class as Lucic, Horton, Wheeler, Ryder. If Boston is moving their top, non-NHL prospect it will be for either a.) A PMD that they clearly need or b.) He will be part of a package to land a 40-goal scoring wing.

2. Penner carries a $4.25 million cap hit this year and next year. Meaning Ryder would need to be moved in any package for Penner, and upgrading from Ryder to Penner is not worth Colborne. Ryder is on a 49 point pace (Penner is on a 52 point pace) this season and a UFA at the end of the year. If Boston wants to make a big splash and try and add a true #2 defenseman (either via trade or UFA signing) OR a 40-goal scoring wing (either via trade or UFA signing) they need that cap space.

The move I would like (as a Bruin fan) is Hemsky to Boston for either Colborne or Boston's 1st in 2011. This would be in the offseason, around the draft, if Hemsky can return this year and show he's healthy. This would be a similar move to Horton-to-Boston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Is it realistic that he plays center on the top two lines for a team that has Krejci, Seguin, Bergeron and Savard.

The concerns you list for Colbourne are similar to those that many have for Penner. The difference being that Penner has actually met what is likelystill optimistic though perhaps reasonable expectations for Colbourne.
IF Colborne makes Boston's roster (I still think he's traded for a PMD this year) it will be as a Left Wing. A position he played at Denver and has played a fair amount at the AHL level. Boston is thin there with only Lucic and Thornton as a true left wings. (Horton, Ryder, Wheeler are RWs).

Penner was a fine college player (I'm from Maine and saw him a lot when I lived there). But he does not have Colborne's talent. Penner was not nearly the skater Colborne was/is. Colborne today is a better skater then Penner. Penner made the NHL and continues to play in the NHL because of his work ethic. Watching him at UMaine I thought he might make a team some day, but he would have to work his ass off to get there. He has and my hat goes off to him. The same is not true for Colborne. If Colborne doesn't make the NHL it will be because of his work ethic. That is still TBD, I have not seen him since moving to California ~a year ago.

Last edited by 8BostonRocker24: 01-22-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old
01-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Fourier

Quote:
1. Penner to Boston makes zero sense. He isn't what Boston needs. The Bruins have enough 2nd line type players. Penner is in the same class as Lucic, Horton, Wheeler, Ryder. If Boston is moving their top, non-NHL prospect it will be for either a.) A PMD that they clearly need or b.) He will be part of a package to land a 40-goal scoring wing.

2. Penner carries a $4.25 million cap hit this year and next year. Meaning Ryder would need to be moved in any package for Penner, and upgrading from Ryder to Penner is not worth Colborne. Ryder is on a 49 point pace (Penner is on a 52 point pace) this season and a UFA at the end of the year. If Boston wants to make a big splash and try and add a true #2 defenseman (either via trade or UFA signing) OR a 40-goal scoring wing (either via trade or UFA signing) they need that cap space.

The move I would like (as a Bruin fan) is Hemsky to Boston for either Colborne or Boston's 1st in 2011. This would be in the offseason, around the draft, if Hemsky can return this year and show he's healthy. This would be a similar move to Horton-to-Boston.
Fair enough.

I am not going to try and convince you of what Biston needs since you would clearly know that more than I would. But I do find it somewhat surprising that if you are really lookig for a 40 goal scoring winger (Semin being pretty much the only name I can see fitting this bill) that you would prefer Hemsky to Penner. When it coems to goal scoring Penner is a better option. Hemsky is first and foremost a playmaker.

I've also watched Ryder through most of his career. His stats may be similar to Penner, but Penner is a significant upgrade. He simply does way more things than Ryder. Horton would certainly be a much better comparable.

And for the record, I would be shocked if the Oilers would trade either Panner or Hemsky for Colbourne so I don't think this deal happens either.

Old
01-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Penner was a fine college player (I'm from Maine and saw him a lot when I lived there). But he does not have Colborne's talent. Penner was not nearly the skater Colborne was/is. Colborne today is a better skater then Penner. Penner made the NHL and continues to play in the NHL because of his work ethic. Watching him at UMaine I thought he might make a team some day, but he would have to work his ass off to get there. He has and my hat goes off to him. The same is not true for Colborne. If Colborne doesn't make the NHL it will be because of his work ethic. That is still TBD, I have not seen him since moving to California ~a year ago.
I've seen Penner a lot over the past 4 seasons. He's in the NHL because he is a huge player who can man handle most, with really soft hands and deceptive quickness.

The main complaint of every Oiler fan over the past 4 years is Penner's work ethic. Not in good enough shape and not intense enough. Maybe he had a great work ethic in college, I'm not sure that is the case anymore.

Old
01-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Would we (Edm fans) do :

Gilbert + 2011 1st for Seguin

OR

Marincin for Colborne

Closed Thread