HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov claimed by Islanders. Will not report & Can't be traded ‎ part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2011, 05:12 PM
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Why would the NHLPA be unhappy? If a player agrees to play for 570k for all intensive purposes half a year, then why would the NHLPA even care?
The only concern I see the NHLPA having is that if the contract is tolled it turns a contract where the actual playing time would have been less than half a season into a full season.

It will be an interesting part of the debate if the NHL does look into tolling the contract. A contract signed knowing it is pro-rated for less than half the season being turned into a full year doesn't seem right. I get that it is a 1 year deal but at the time the contract was signed the length of actual playing time would have been different.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:13 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
all intensive purposes
not trying to embarass you but, its "all intents and purposes".

Old
01-23-2011, 05:15 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Go Green View Post

I don't think they care whether you or other HF posters think there's no difference between 28th and 22nd or whatever. They do. Isles fans know this team needs to start winning games, period. Garth knows this too.
Trading Rollie doesnt jive with that

01-23-2011, 05:16 PM
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
The PA isn't going to even touch this. What are they going to argue, that Nabokov deserves preferential treatment that their other 500+ members don't?
Due to the timing of when the contract was signed could they argue that he does not owe a full year? I realize it becomes messy at that point but it is a pro-rated deal that would become a full year commitment.

Old
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Doug Armstrong and John Davidson intend to bring up the waiver rule for the next GM meetings. Their suggestions are to apply the waiver rule for players like Svatos or Nabokov only closer to the trading deadline or another suggestion is that the team that loses the player on waivers should be compensated by the claiming team an amount of $150,000 or $200,000.
200,000 is nothing to most teams

Old
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Whatever, why do the Rangers even enter this conversation?

Sather has nothing to do with this Nabby business. You want to poke fun at the Rangers for signing Redden and it not working out, ok I get it, but Sather left himself a clever loophole.

The difference here is that Redden WANTED to be a Rangers. Teams rarely make moves for guys they know wont come to their team. I'm sure some traded guys were unhappy but within the NHL players show the respect to at least go and make the best of a trade.

Nabby is a FREE AGENT. Its quirky with the Euro waivers, but he's free not to want to be part of a bottom feeders rebuild process at this point in his career.

I'd be surprised if most people didnt understand this. Infact I think most people do. But Snow and Wang.... Im not so sure. They do puzzeling stuff sometimes.
Yeah just as much as Yashin and Wisniewski had to do with this conversation right? The Roloson trade might have been premature, but it was still going to happen.

Islanders fans are tired of other fanbases especially Rangers fans taking cheapshots at the team when they have all made numerous gaffes of their own.

Maybe Snow made a mistake not contacting Nabokov before he claimed him. Maybe Meehan shouldn't have opened his mouth and stated that he would report to any team that claimed him. Snow did nothing wrong here.

Snow tried to make his team better. With the amount of good young players on the Islanders now you do not want them to be part of a continual losing atmosphere. With DiPietro and Lawson not being healthy and letting in beach balls he made the move for a starter.

I have absolutely no problem with Nabokov not reporting. That is his right. I do have a problem with people trying to throw the Islanders and Snow under the bus for this move though. If the Islanders didn't claim him, some other bottom team surely would have.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Boom King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
true, but in practice When an agent agrees to a deal it is just as binding upon the principal. as a purely legal matter, an agent has the authority to act as the principal with all legal rights and responsibilities
Not a binding SPC until you put pen to paper and send it off to Central Registry for filing and approval.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by deekortiz3 View Post
Realistically what kind of return would the Islanders expect to get for him?
Even a 7th is an improvement over nothing, but after this if he is tolled Id ask for a 4th,

The issue to me is that its one of the benefits you earn by being a lousy team. As a GM Id expect that if a team thats ahead of me wants a player, Id claim his rights just to keep him from them, its part of the competitive process....

in baseball it happens every day, and sometimes a team gets stuck with a Randy Myers or a Jose Canseco.....

Old
01-23-2011, 05:20 PM
bluechipbonzo

Here's my take- Snow made the claim to show that the Islanders are not tanking the season, and subsequently do right by Koskinen, who has no business in the NHL right now.

Now that Nabokov has refused to report, Snow will have no choice but to formally request that the NHL toll the contract, and ensure the Islanders get full value for their property.

The NHL will make an example of Nabokov, and back the Islanders. The NHLPA's position will not be sympathic, considering Nabokov's snub of the Flyers- who will be hawks looking for solidarity on this.

Finally, Nabokov's rights will be traded sometime in the offseason for a surprising return, and he will resume his career next season somewhere in the Western Conference- like L.A.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:22 PM
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
Even a 7th is an improvement over nothing, but after this if he is tolled Id ask for a 4th,
I wonder if he could garner more even with the missed time it would still be Nabokov for an entire year at 570K. I would think they could get a bit of a bidding war between a couple teams.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:23 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Trading Rollie doesnt jive with that
they traded roloson 21 days before claiming nabakov.
they had lawson, poulin and dipietro to tend goal after trading roloson.
after giving poulin a few starts, garth sees that poulin is in over his head and wants to send him to bridge port to gain more experience.
that leaves dipietro and lawson on the big club.
lawson got hurt friday night.
garth now needs a goalie and the only one ( that i know of ) on the free agent market was nabakov.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

It frustrates me to no end to see people talk about how much of a jerk Snow is for exercising his right to claim players and attempt to meet his goal of making the Islanders a competitive team. It also frustrates me that Nabokov doesn't want to report, but whatever, it's his right to do so. It also frustrates me that some people are crying foul about the rule itself. It's there for a reason.

But reading that he literally hung up on Garth Snow after he reached out to him, Wow. At least explain to him that you do not intend to report, don't just hang up on him.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Here's my take- Snow made the claim to show that the Islanders are not tanking the season, and subsequently do right by Koskinen, who has no business in the NHL right now.

Now that Nabokov has refused to report, Snow will have no choice but to formally request that the NHL toll the contract, and ensure the Islanders get full value for their property.

The NHL will make an example of Nabokov, and back the Islanders. The NHLPA's position will not be sympathic, considering Nabokov's snub of the Flyers- who will be hawks looking for solidarity on this.

Finally, Nabokov's rights will be traded sometime in the offseason for a surprising return, and he will resume his career next season somewhere in the Western Conference- like L.A.
I doubt any of this happens

Old
01-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Not a binding SPC until you put pen to paper and send it off to Central Registry for filing and approval.
That is correct of course, but as a general rule once an Agent accepts the actual contract is a mere formality,

otherwise its the Lindros trade scenario all over again where quebec agreed to trade Lindros to philly, and then before papers were filed with the league, they tried to back out and accept a better deal with the Rangers

Old
01-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

If he's tolled and signed to a deal for 570k next season they'll get a 3rd or a equivilent prospect easy. Several teams will need a goalie on that cheap a contract. They'll jump at the chance to nab him and the Isles will get something pretty decent in return. That's why its in the Isles interest to toll the contract. They will in effect get something for nothing. The longer this drags out the worse it will be for Nabokov, because if his contract is tolled he can't go play for a league that has transfer rules with the NHL which leaves 2nd tier leagues, the KHL or nothing. He's not going back to the KHL. His wife doesn't want to leave the states so he's in effect done. Far better to report, play and then start over this summer elsewhere than be on the hook for that substandard contract next season.

Old
01-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Timmy

> 1000

Closed Thread