HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov claimed by Islanders. Will not report & Can't be traded ‎ part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2011, 04:42 PM
13th Floor

vCash: 500
Anybody who thinks the Islanders are better off finishing 28th in the league rather than 22nd or that finishing the season on a ridiculous losing streak is better than finishing over 500 from here on out is an idiot. These are human beings (mostly young kids). This isn't fantasy sports.

This franchise needs winning. Period.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:43 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Alter the rule so the full amount of the contract counts toward the cap then.
agree that would work but that isnt the rule now, so for the time being its still cap cheating.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:43 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresintel View Post
Why? Make him sit - no player should have the right to hold a team hostage without feeling the consequences... He knew beforehand what could happen. Comments like this make you look desperate and your team showing a weakness...
What? Who is holding who hostage? Can the Isles not proceed with the NHL season now that Nabokov has rejected their claim?

If Snow was too stupid to recognize that all Nabby wanted was to contend for the Cup, then thats the Isles fault. If all he wanted to do was to play in the NHL, he would've made an effort sooner. If all he wanted was money, he wouldn't have signed with the Wings for the contract he did.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Go read the definition in the CBA. There's no such thing as a "4 million dollar" player. Cap circumvention is paying a player 4 million dollars while his actual cap hit is only 1, not paying him 1 million to play a quarter of the season.
You are arguing semantics. One of the reasons rule is in place to prevent teams from stashing NHL players in Europe. The rule makes sense.

Old
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Amnesia View Post
Anybody who thinks the Islanders are better off finishing 28th in the league rather than 22nd or that finishing the season on a ridiculous losing streak is better than finishing over 500 from here on out is an idiot. These are human beings (mostly young kids). This isn't fantasy sports.

So thats why they traded Roloson? Before they even knew they had a shot at Nabakov?

Old
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
He came back to the NHL for two reasons.

1) To have a chance at a cup
2) To earn a starting job next season

If he wanted to come back to play for the Islanders he would have signed with the Islanders.
I understand that, and I'm not pissed at all at Nabokov he is doing what is within his rights, as was what the Isles did was within their rights.

What annoys me is the fact that some posters feel such pity for the guy. He knew (and shame on him and his agent if he didn't know) going into this deal that this could happen. So, if he wanted to play for a contender that badly he should have signed before the season started or at the very least (while I realize this wouldn't have been a wise decision) not played in Europe.

The guy simply cannot have his cake and eat it too.

He took a gamble and lost out, and it seems the Isles did as well. No one is the bad guy in this, both parties knew the risk and took the gamble anyway.

Too bad so sad.

Last edited by GilliesGirlie: 01-22-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: left out the underlined
Old
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Please explain this utter nonsense how the waiver wire is supposed to stop cap circumvention. We are not talking about Detroit hiding people in the minors. We are talking about an unrestricted free agent (emphasis on the bit about unrestricted and free) who happened to sign after September 20th.
Without this rule, what's to stop Brad Richards from not signing a contract with any one this summer and going to get paid to play in Europe then signing with Detroit, or whoever, in February and doing this every year?

If Nabokov hadn't of went to the KHL he would have been free to sign with the Wings without waivers, just as Forsberg is free to sign with the Avs, if his foot doesn't fall off. Because he didn't have a contract in a European league.

Old
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Amnesia View Post

Agreed. The Islanders don't need more young players. They need to change the culture of losing in the dressing room. Nabokov could help tremendously, if he was motivated to do so.

Terribly sad he wanted to play for a contender but couldn't be bothered to sign with one during the off-season. Excuse me while I play the world's tiniest violin for the sufferings of Evgeni Nabokov.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
What? Who is holding who hostage? Can the Isles not proceed with the NHL season now that Nabokov has rejected their claim?

If Snow was too stupid to recognize that all Nabby wanted was to contend for the Cup, then thats the Isles fault. If all he wanted to do was to play in the NHL, he would've made an effort sooner. If all he wanted was money, he wouldn't have signed with the Wings for the contract he did.
Then his agent shouldn't have said Nabokov was willing to play for ANY team. He has no one to blame but himself and his agent.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:45 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
So thats why they traded Roloson? Before they even knew they had a shot at Nabakov?
We have TWO hurt goalies.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Go back and do some reading, this has been discussed many times.

Old
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliesGirlie View Post
I understand that, and I'm not pissed at all at Nabokov he is doing what is within his rights, as was what the Isles did was within their rights.

What annoys me is the fact that some posters feel such pity for the guy. He knew (and shame on him and his agent) going into this deal that this could happen. So, if he wanted to play for a contender that badly he should have signed before the season started or at the very least (while I realize this wouldn't have been a wise decision) not played in Europe.

The guy simply cannot have his cake and eat it too.

He took a gamble and lost out, and it seems the Isles did as well. No one is the bad guy in this, both parties knew the risk and took the gamble anyway.

Too bad so sad.
And for what reason do you think Nabokov cares? He and the Wings took a gamble. They lost. Everyone in the situation is a veteran of the NHL. If they really cared about the possible consequences, they wouldn't have gone through with it.

Old
OpAck

Nabokov told Snow that he won't play until Snow reinstates Chris Botta's media credentials.

Old
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
I doubt the league would be too worried about any perceived legal action. Nabokov signed a one year contract.
...But he signed it in January, and that's the key.

I actually hope he reports (or the Isles waive him)... And I think that's what the league hope as well.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:47 PM
VM1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by despec View Post
I'm pretty sure given a choice you rather your prospects develop in a more winning environment than losing one. Given the low cost of Nabokov he makes perfect sense.

Would you rather play on a team that stands a chance to win every night or one that gets blown out every night?
My point is the Isles rate of wins won't go up with Nabakov. They won't benefit from a "winning environment" because Nabakov's stats will go into the toilet playing for the Isles.

Old
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
You are arguing semantics. One of the reasons rule is in place to prevent teams from stashing NHL players in Europe. The rule makes sense.
And to add to that...

Lets say that Ovie's and Malkin's contract is up at the end of this season.
Both of them sign with the Helsinki Whatevers....
Come the middle of Feb, they get together and discuss, "What team looks like a serious contender? The Stars? Great."
Then they sign with the Stars for, what is basically, a playoff run for the Cup.

Old
GilliesGirlie

Quote:

I think Roloson was traded becuase Dwayne wanted out, and he didn't pout or ***** about it. Guy was nothing but a class act both on and off the ice, Isles gave him what he wanted.

Old
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Please explain this utter nonsense how the waiver wire is supposed to stop cap circumvention. We are not talking about Detroit hiding people in the minors. We are talking about an unrestricted free agent (emphasis on the bit about unrestricted and free) who happened to sign after September 20th.
he is not "unrestricted" because he signed with a russian club. players under contract with another professional league are not "unrestricted"... if he had not signed with anyone, anywhere, then he could sign and play without waivers(like forsberg did a few years back and appears to be trying to do again this year)

Old
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Nabokov told Snow that he won't play until Snow reinstates Chris Botta's media credentials.
seriously?

01-22-2011, 04:48 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by despec View Post
Go back and do some reading, this has been discussed many times.
Theres been speculation by fans.

Roloson gives the Isles the best shot to win games. They traded him, and not for anything thats going to help them win games. If that was really what Snow was concerned about, he wouldn't have traded Roli in the first place.

Old
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
The main difference is that Yashin (and Radulov) didn't execute his part of the contract for a whole season.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. But expect a lawsuit against the League if Nabokov owes a full-season to the Isles, because that would be extending a deal without Nabokov's consent.
It's not.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

Quote:
The Detroit Red Wings announced Thursday that they have agreed to a one-year contract with goalie Evgeni Nabokov. Multiple media reports say the deal is worth $570,000.
He signed a 1 year contract. It's pro-rated this year because he isn't playing his first game for the 2011 season until January but its a 1 year contract. NHL doesn't do partial contracts, all contracts are in incriments of a year.

If he's smart he'll grin and bear it, play out the next 4 months and then sign where he wants July 1.

If he isn't smart, he'll try to force his way, there will be a lengthy process while laywers get paid excellent dollars to figure it out and then a decision will be rendered.

It's possible the Islanders won't contest it and he will in fact become a UFA July 1 but that seems unlikely and would be detrimental to their organization.

Old
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
...But he signed it in January, and that's the key.

I actually hope he reports (or the Isles waive him)... And I think that's what the league hope as well.
He signed, in January, a contract in effect from July 1 to July 1.

Old
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
My point is the Isles rate of wins won't go up with Nabakov. They won't benefit from a "winning environment" because Nabakov's stats will go into the toilet playing for the Isles.
Seriously? Did you not see Roloson play earlier this year? The point is that Roloson actually did exactly what Nabakov is seeking. He played with the Islanders, honored his contract like a man, showcased himself, and got picked up by a contender. Nabakov just wants his cake and to eat it too. I don't blame him, but he has to play within the rules.

Old
01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Why not? Nabokov is a definitely improvement over Lawson and Poulin and maybe DiPietro

Old
01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
seriously?
No, it's just me being a silly goose.

Closed Thread