HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Paul Byron (recalled: 2/2) and Matt Ellis (assigned: 1/28)

Old
01-22-2011, 10:26 PM
OpethianSabre20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
We have zero depth at this point. Byron is a nothing who will likely never be an NHL player. He's not talented enough or strong enough. I admire the guy for what he did in junior but he'll never cut it in big leagues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Actually, talent is why he's even in the AHL or got a call-up.

It's almost purely his size that is what's stopping him. And he's not built like Gerbe is, nor as speedy.
This.

I agree that this situation stinks and his size (more-so his frame than his height) could definitely be an issue, but the call-up's warranted; there's no quit in Byron's game and he has the talent. At the very least, he makes this team a little more interesting to watch.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Tachycineta

Good for twiggy. It does feel like we're giving Mancari the fu treatment, though as he's been our most productive Pirate, most likely because this is most likely his last year in our organization. I know his antics weren't appreciated at the beginning of the 09 season but I don't know what more he can do to "earn" another call up this year.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
They're short at center and Byron has played well on the farm. Good for them in taking a look at what they have and good for him for earning it.

01-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

good for paul, excited to see him up, and he's heard every knock on his size gerbe has, plus his lack of muscle. and someone, im too lazy to go back and check on this crap phone, said that byron isnt as fast as gerbe? hes at least as fast as gerbe, if not faster, hes a lot lighter and a lot harder to catch. and we have one guarantee with him; he'll never take a shift off.

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Grinder44

I think the Sabres are looking for some quickness (Byron) and hustle (Ellis) to combat the Islanders' speed. Not sure speed/skating are Mancari's or Adam's strong suit.

Grinder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macksayev View Post
good for paul, excited to see him up, and he's heard every knock on his size gerbe has, plus his lack of muscle. and someone, im too lazy to go back and check on this crap phone, said that byron isnt as fast as gerbe? hes at least as fast as gerbe, if not faster, hes a lot lighter and a lot harder to catch. and we have one guarantee with him; he'll never take a shift off.
Byron has one thing in common with Gerbe, from watching him with Gatineau and then in Portland: he shows no fear. He battles with bigger men all the time -- heck, he got into a fight during a summer pickup game with a psycho heavyweight Ryan James Hand. He blocks a lot of shots, won a lot of faceoffs (in the Q at least), and can skate through a keyhole.

I hope he does well -- I've enjoyed watching him since his days with Giroux and the Olympiques.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:38 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macksayev View Post
I said it. I don't think he's as fast, though he is very close.

Gerbe's one backcheck the other night says it all.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I can't wait to see what Byron can do. I haven't seen much of him but I hear a lot of good things about him. Good to see Ellis finally up too.

Holy crap is our roster thin though. We only have one center in the line-up right now who's a regular NHLer, and is a natural centerman, and that's Paul Gaustad, who would be a 4th line center on most other teams in the NHL.

If we don't draft a center in this upcoming draft, I'm gonna drive a burning bus full of puppies down a cliff.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:49 AM
dkollidas

So they'll call up Paul Byron... all 5'8 or 5'9'' and 144-150 lbs. and have him play center, meanwhile a guy like Ennis, who is much better is on the wing because "he's too small to play center" on a team that's been down Roy and Connolly previously this season and will do it again? While leaving Adam in the AHL (I'm guessing they wanna keep him down there to play in the AHL all-star game). I just think if you're gonna call guys up from Portland, call up Ellis and Mancari, try Ennis at center (I'm sure it can't hurt). I just think with his ability with the puck he'll put up better numbers, as well as start learning how to take/win faceoffs in the NHL along with playing defense.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:02 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
He's probably less than 5'9, but the weight is probably close. He seriously looked like a 16 year old kid at prospects camp. Not the you-can-tell-he's-not-16-but-he-looks-it way either... he REALLY looked like someones kid.

Did anyone notice Byron going into the wrong penalty box after the fight??

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
So they'll call up Paul Byron... all 5'8 or 5'9'' and 144-150 lbs. and have him play center, meanwhile a guy like Ennis, who is much better is on the wing because "he's too small to play center" on a team that's been down Roy and Connolly previously this season and will do it again? While leaving Adam in the AHL (I'm guessing they wanna keep him down there to play in the AHL all-star game). I just think if you're gonna call guys up from Portland, call up Ellis and Mancari, try Ennis at center (I'm sure it can't hurt). I just think with his ability with the puck he'll put up better numbers, as well as start learning how to take/win faceoffs in the NHL along with playing defense.
Actually, Ennis is on the wing because his defensive awareness isn't all that good. Byron knows his responsibilities for the position, Ennis has issues right now with the lesser responsibilities on the wing (that -8 in his last six, while picking up 6 points is partially on him). Let Ennis continue to come around off the wing offensively and not have him worry about his already iffy defense in the middle.

Right now, giving Byron a reward recall isn't a bad thing -- they get to see what he can do, the guys on the farm get that good play gets rewarded all around the lineup.

Old
01-23-2011, 08:51 AM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
We have zero depth at this point. Byron is a nothing who will likely never be an NHL player. He's not talented enough or strong enough. I admire the guy for what he did in junior but he'll never cut it in big leagues.
+1

Sad when the fans hopes are resting on this guy

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:50 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan123 View Post
+1

Hopes for what?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
Who said Ennis is "too small to play center"? He's not playing center because that's not his natural position, LW is. Byron is a natural center, hence the call-up.

If anything, it's better to have smaller centers and bigger wingers. But Ennis only had one short stint in the WHL, and one short stint in the AHL as center. Remember last year when we tried to turn a rookie natural LW into a center? Didn't turn out too well.

Quote:
+1

No fan is hoping for Byron to become anything special, we're all just interested in how he will fair in the big leagues, because he's been at least moderately successful everywhere else he's been, and he has great work ethic. Any time a new player comes up from farm I'm interested to see how they play, even if I know nothing about them (which is sort of the case with Byron, I recognize the name but I haven't seen enough of his game to judge).

Old
01-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Any truth to the rumor that he's going to ride on Gerbe's shoulders today?

Hey, if Mike Card can play 4 NHL games.... good for Byron. He's probably not a legitimate prospect but he's done as much as he humanly good to get into an NHL game. It's not his fault this team has no center depth but... it's not like he has 10 points and is a -12 or something. He's earned a call-up opportunity on his own.

Side note. The way the Sabres issue numbers aggrevates me. How do high picked like Myers, Ennis and Adams get "randomly" assigned 57, 63, 72 and Byron gets "randomly" assigned #24?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Side note. The way the Sabres issue numbers aggrevates me. How do high picked like Myers, Ennis and Adams get "randomly" assigned 57, 63, 72 and Byron gets "randomly" assigned #24?
I thought they all got to pick their numbers this year? (besides Byron probably)

Old
01-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Any truth to the rumor that he's going to ride on Gerbe's shoulders today?

Hey, if Mike Card can play 4 NHL games.... good for Byron. He's probably not a legitimate prospect but he's done as much as he humanly good to get into an NHL game. It's not his fault this team has no center depth but... it's not like he has 10 points and is a -12 or something. He's earned a call-up opportunity on his own.

Adam isn't as random -- he wanted a 9 and since 9, 19, and 29 are all taken and they're not re-issuing 39...

Old
01-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Adam isn't as random -- he wanted a 9 and since 9, 19, and 29 are all taken and they're not re-issuing 39...
#19 should be available for Luke next season.

I don't know, though, if I want Adam wearing anything that will remind me of Connolly.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
+1

What hopes are those? That he can play decent in short call-up?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Happy for Paul, really deserved the call up.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
Did anyone notice Byron going into the wrong penalty box after the fight??
Yeah that was quite funny. I think he was pumped up about the fight and forgot to think for a minute.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
I loved his game in the Q. 2" taller and 30 lbs heavier and it would have been hard to tell him apart from Giroux. Byron doesn't have half the vision Claude has however (not many do).

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:48 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Taylor Pyatt is going to be pissed
Sabres fans may not be able to tell the difference the way he played

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Sabres fans may not be able to tell the difference the way he played
Nah. They'll notice. Byron is far gamer than Pyatt ever has been.

Old
01-23-2011, 12:11 PM
LGBuffalo

Good for Byron. I liked his work in the pre-season, as I thought he had the necessary creativity to be involved in some scoring chances. You never know what you have on the farm, unless you try them out on the big club.

I like the Ellis call-up as well because you know what you're getting with Matt. A whole lot of effort. They need that today against a team that has just owned them so far this year.

LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote