HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Byron (recalled: 2/2) and Matt Ellis (assigned: 1/28)

Old
01-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan123 View Post
I was talking about plateaus...but then again ignoring the fact that I posted up plateaus is once again easy to ignore.

That being said....what I wrote doesn't change

their are 100 guys with better stats in the OHL, WHL, QMJHL and AHL.

Pick at my statement ai doesn't change the truth.
Quote:
The guy hasn't scored more then 30 goals at any level. He has yet to prove himself, be hit, fight or feel the pain of an 82 game schedule with such a small frame. I will reserve my opinion until he does atleast one of those.
Two different thoughts. One an opinion I basically agree with. The other, undeniably factual wrong. Oh well.

Ruckus007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 05:30 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
I was talking about plateaus...but then again ignoring the fact that I posted up plateaus is once again easy to ignore.

Except when your statement is false.

21 goals in the playoffs at any level is damn good. Whether or not it will translate to the NHL is exactly what is up for discussion. You can reserve your opinion until it either happens or doesn't, but others like to speculate.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 05:31 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
my appologies, I should have said 30 goal plateau as apposed to the 40 or 50 goal plateau.

Also including playoff goals to skew the stats is something people do to win a losing arguement.

The gentlemen said a lot of goals. to me 50 or 60 is a lot of goals.

the guy has played 2 games and people here are so depressed about the sabres people talk about him like he is our saviour.
No one is talking about him as a savior. What they are talking about is that he has not looked out of place in two games as a call up, and is not as small as a lot of people made him out to be.

I certainly haven't seen anything in the last two games to suggest he can't be an NHL'er.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 05:33 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
What league do you know of totals, playoffs and regular season without dividing the two into seperate categories. I guess Dan Marino is one of the worst Quaterbacks in NFL history since his playoff stats are well non existent.

How many points did gretzky get in the NHL? I believe the total is 2857 not 3239.
Players that score 1000 points in the NHL do the include playoffs to obtain that marker?
Nuff said.
You keep talking about how including playoffs is skewing stats in order to win an argument.

Unfortunately, your first statement was undeniably false even without including the playoffs. What "argument" was there to win?

Old
01-26-2011, 05:33 PM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Except when your statement is false.

21 goals in the playoffs at any level is damn good. Whether or not it will translate to the NHL is exactly what is up for discussion. You can reserve your opinion until it either happens or doesn't, but others like to speculate.
Shaking my head.....so its damn good, if the guy scored 100 goals in the QMJHL and was touted as the next Alexander Daigle what does that do for that sabres?

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 05:34 PM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
No one is talking about him as a savior. What they are talking about is that he has not looked out of place in two games as a call up, and is not as small as a lot of people made him out to be.

I certainly haven't seen anything in the last two games to suggest he can't be an NHL'er.
Wow two games and you are awarding him a full time NHL position. What the hell sign him to a multi million dollar contract already. If Jflory see what it takes to be an NHL player after 2 games then sign me up!

Also he has 0 goals in 4 AHL playoff games....how does that work for stats?

The sabres have him listed at 5'9 and 170lbs should he be smaller?

Last edited by sabresfan123*: 01-26-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old
01-26-2011, 05:39 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post

On a few shifts it seemed like he and ennis were wearing velcro. Byron and Schiestel were the two guys i had underrated before mini camp.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 01-26-2011 at 05:44 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 05:41 PM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
On a few shifts it seemed like he and ennis were wearing velcro. Byron and Schiestel were the two guys i had underrated before mini camp. I like his style of play, its a bit like roy.
Ennis
Gerbe
Byron

Some people might put Byron ahead of Gerbe but at THIS POINT in their careers Gerbe is just a more sound hockey player while Byron is still learning. I don't think Gerbe has the body to make it through an 82 game schedule and Byron will take more time, after he gets hit a few times how he reacts.

Old
01-26-2011, 05:45 PM
bert

Quote:
Ennis
Gerbe
Byron

Some people might put Byron ahead of Gerbe but at THIS POINT in their careers Gerbe is just a more sound hockey player while Byron is still learning.
Gerbe is 5 years older then Byron. I dont really understand why you hate the guy so much.... There is zero logic behind it, also I havent seen one person that said 'sign him to a multimillion dollar contract'. I think people are just pleasantly surprised with his first two games. The point is he has scored at every level perhaps he can continue that in the nhl. You are right lots of players put up big numbers in jr however most of the time either size or speed or level of compete is an issue. Well only one of those is a problem for Byron and it has never stopped him before.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 05:47 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Ennis
Gerbe
Byron

Some people might put Byron ahead of Gerbe but at THIS POINT in their careers Gerbe is just a more sound hockey player while Byron is still learning.
yeah your exactly right with what your suggesting. byron has room to improve. having 3 tenacious offensive players with speed is exactly what most teams have trouble against. it might not be a bad line. gerbe scored a couple of incredible goals.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 01-26-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old
01-26-2011, 05:53 PM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Gerbe is 5 years older then Byron. I dont really understand why you hate the guy so much.... There is zero logic behind it, also I havent seen one person that said 'sign him to a multimillion dollar contract'. I think people are just pleasantly surprised with his first two games. The point is he has scored at every level perhaps he can continue that in the nhl. You are right lots of players put up big numbers in jr however most of the time either size or speed or level of compete is an issue. Well only one of those is a problem for Byron and it has never stopped him before.
Where did I say I hate him? weird.......The guy wouldn't get you more then a 3rd or 4th round pick by any GM in the NHL. I guess I like to have the players PROVE THEMSELVES before I get too excited.

Also people really need to understand what the QMJHL is all about before they try to compare stats to the OHL, WHL, AHL and NHL. It is just nonsense. Take a look at MA Grangani's stats.....looks like he is the next Paul Coffey.
Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2003-04 Prince Edward Island Rocket QMJHL 61 2 13 15 42 11 0 0 0 4
2004-05 Prince Edward Island Rocket QMJHL 68 10 29 39 48 -- -- -- -- --
2005-06 Prince Edward Island Rocket QMJHL 62 16 55 71 75 6 1 4 5 14
2006-07 Prince Edward Island Rocket QMJHL 65 22 46 68 58 7 5 8 13
The guy got 13 points in 7 playoff games as a defencemen. He must be the next Paul Coffey.

My point is stats below the NHL mean nothing.

Old
01-26-2011, 06:00 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Ennis
Gerbe
Byron

after he gets hit a few times how he reacts.
if they passed the puck well enough and skated hard, the hitting would be less of a deterrent. then again we are short on centers

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 01-26-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old
01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Then it wouldn't matter anyways if he'd ever hit the "30 goal mark" at any level, because, as far as your argument is concerned, as long as he's never put up big numbers at the NHL level he probably never will.

I don't know why you don't like Byron...no one here is touting him as our savior or a future All-star...he's a 21 year old kid who has a point in each of his first two NHL games. Since when is that something that's not worth talking about?

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 06:27 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Wow two games and you are awarding him a full time NHL position. What the hell sign him to a multi million dollar contract already. If Jflory see what it takes to be an NHL player after 2 games then sign me up!

Also he has 0 goals in 4 AHL playoff games....how does that work for stats?

The sabres have him listed at 5'9 and 170lbs should he be smaller?
Stop putting words in my mouth.

I'm simply not willing to sign off on a freaking 21 year old kid and say he has no future in the NHL (like you so blindly are - based on just statistics, it seems) after two pretty decent games at the NHL level.

Old
01-26-2011, 09:13 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Shaking my head.....so its damn good, if the guy scored 100 goals in the QMJHL and was touted as the next Alexander Daigle what does that do for that sabres?
Uh.. gives them a good prospect?

Quote:
Where did I say I hate him? weird.......The guy wouldn't get you more then a 3rd or 4th round pick by any GM in the NHL. I guess I like to have the players PROVE THEMSELVES before I get too excited.

Also people really need to understand what the QMJHL is all about before they try to compare stats to the OHL, WHL, AHL and NHL. It is just nonsense. Take a look at MA Grangani's stats.....looks like he is the next Paul Coffey.
Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2003-04 Prince Edward Island Rocket QMJHL 61 2 13 15 42 11 0 0 0 4
2004-05 Prince Edward Island Rocket QMJHL 68 10 29 39 48 -- -- -- -- --
2005-06 Prince Edward Island Rocket QMJHL 62 16 55 71 75 6 1 4 5 14
2006-07 Prince Edward Island Rocket QMJHL 65 22 46 68 58 7 5 8 13
The guy got 13 points in 7 playoff games as a defencemen. He must be the next Paul Coffey.

Then why were you the one that brought stats up in the first place to justify your point?

Stop ******** all over people for enjoying seeing a prospect jump in and play some sound hockey.

--

You need to also realize that almost no one thought he had a chance in the NHL at any point prior to this year. So it comes as a bit of a surprise to see him earn a call up, get 2 points in 2 games and not look remotely lost out there. It is making people reassess what potential he could have and if he could fit on the team. You know, what a hockey forum like this is for.

Last edited by vcv: 01-26-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old
01-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Crazy Tasty

This is one of the most entertaining threads in awhile, thanks to all for the enjoyment.

Byron is the next Briere and he will carry the cup to Buffalo in 2012!!!

(reality: I figured him for a career AHLer, love seeing that he's looking to prove me and everyone else wrong).

Merge this with the Mancari thread, if only Mark would work as hard as some of these midgets on the team.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:22 AM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Uh.. gives them a good prospect?

Then why were you the one that brought stats up in the first place to justify your point?

Stop ******** all over people for enjoying seeing a prospect jump in and play some sound hockey.

--

You need to also realize that almost no one thought he had a chance in the NHL at any point prior to this year. So it comes as a bit of a surprise to see him earn a call up, get 2 points in 2 games and not look remotely lost out there. It is making people reassess what potential he could have and if he could fit on the team. You know, what a hockey forum like this is for.
The sabres must of thought that or why else would the sign him to an entry level contract? Please don't make rediculous statements. 2 games is meaningless. Sorry my hockey education makes you feel bad.
I don't get it why use the work remotely? Why would he looked lost? He is a professional hockey player who has played two games and averages about 13 minutes of ice time in those two games.

PS. Your right about the hockey forum stuff...I get carried away with laughter when I see Brad Richards and Dustin Penner in a sabres uniform.

Last edited by vcv: 01-27-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old
01-27-2011, 06:44 AM
fightclubber25

Did anyone else get tim Kennedy flashbacks when they first saw Byron out there? Jw.

Last edited by fightclubber25: 01-27-2011 at 02:22 PM.
fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 07:48 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:

Grow up and admit you were wrong. It's okay. It happens to everyone.

And his play at the NHL level further cements the validity of your position. Digging in your heels here will not serve you well.

Ta,

p.s. Having finished reading the thread it's obvious you aren't listening. /ignore.

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 08:26 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
The sabres must of thought that or why else would the sign him to an entry level contract?
Thought what?

Quote:
Please don't make rediculous statements.
You might want to identify which statement you think is "rediculous".

Quote:
2 games is meaningless.
No, not true. 2 games is not necessarily indicative of what kind of career he will have, but it's a starting point for speculation.

Quote:
Sorry my hockey education makes you feel bad.
Not even sure what this is supposed to mean.

Quote:
I don't get it why use the work remotely? Why would he looked lost? He is a professional hockey player who has played two games and averages about 13 minutes of ice time in those two games. calm down.
Lots of guys come up to the NHL and look lost their first few games. Paul was given some PK time and center responsibilities and fit right in. It could mean little or it could mean he's a smart player.

Old
01-27-2011, 09:04 AM
joechip

Ultimately, callups like these are to assess the prospect's viability at this level. It is a learning experience both for the player and the organization. Nothing more, nothing less. Personally, what I saw from Byron the other night was encouraging. He'll go back to Portland with a laundry list of things to work on with the experience of the NHL in his pocket.

How is this, in any rational way, a BAD THING?

@ SF123: The above point is what you are stubbornly refusing to get/understand and the source of the conflict. There is no right answer on an opinion. But you were called out for factual errors and then got defensive about it.

Ta,

Old
01-27-2011, 09:10 AM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
Ultimately, callups like these are to assess the prospect's viability at this level. It is a learning experience both for the player and the organization. Nothing more, nothing less. Personally, what I saw from Byron the other night was encouraging. He'll go back to Portland with a laundry list of things to work on with the experience of the NHL in his pocket.

How is this, in any rational way, a BAD THING?

@ SF123: The above point is what you are stubbornly refusing to get/understand and the source of the conflict. There is no right answer on an opinion. But you were called out for factual errors and then got defensive about it.

Ta,
What factual error was that? Did he ever reach the 40 or 50 goal plateau? I think not.

Old
01-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
The sabres must of thought that or why else would the sign him to an entry level contract? Please don't make rediculous statements. 2 games is meaningless. Sorry my hockey education makes you feel bad.
I don't get it why use the work remotely? Why would he looked lost? He is a professional hockey player who has played two games and averages about 13 minutes of ice time in those two games.

PS. Your right about the hockey forum stuff...I get carried away with laughter when I see Brad Richards and Dustin Penner in a sabres uniform.
As an outsider just viewing this thread for the first time, your arguments are comically weak.

Bottom line, most people are pleasantly surprised with the way Byron played in his 2 games at the NHL level. The difference is jflory said he hasn't seen anything to indicate Byron could not be at NHLer at some point, whereas you're the one that has completely written off the kid. You call out people for getting all giddy over two games and awarding him a full-time spot (which isn't the case at all), yet you're already completely writing the kid off before he's even had a chance to do anything. Doesn't that seem atleast slightly hypocritical to you?

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:25 AM
joechip

Quote:
What factual error was that? Did he ever reach the 40 or 50 goal plateau? I think not.
You said he'd never scored more than 30 goals at any level... or have you not read pages 2 and 3 of this thread. Then you changed your semantics to cover yourself. That's bush league.

Stop. Seriously, it's getting embarrassing.

Ta,

Old
01-27-2011, 10:09 AM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

Quote:
The guy hasn't scored more then 30 goals at any level

Your first statement which you have already been proven wrong

Quote:
my appologies, I should have said 30 goal plateau as apposed to the 40 or 50 goal plateau.
This statement does not even make sense. You never said anything about the 40 or 50 goal plateau in any previous post. You said he had not scored more then 30 goals at any level, not a word of plateaus anywhere

Quote:
The gentlemen said a lot of goals. to me 50 or 60 is a lot of goals
So now 30-40 goals is not a lot? I guess Vanek is not even a goal scorer because he never had a lot of goals. Just a measly 43 goals. To you some how that is not a lot of goals ??

Quote:
What factual error was that? Did he ever reach the 40 or 50 goal plateau? I think not
The factual error that you said he had not scored more then 30 goals at any level, then got proven wrong. Then changed your argument to talks of some 50 goal plateau Paul has never reached. Just to make you argument seem correct?

No one is making him out to be our best prospect or that he is the best chance at having a true #1 center. But the kid looked good his first two games and didn't seem out of place. Get over it and admit your argument is wrong.

CelticSabre is offline   Reply With Quote