HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Callahan and Prospal activated off IR

Old
01-26-2011, 11:46 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Callahan and Prospal activated off IR

Callahan has been targeting February 1 as his return date for a long time. Prospalís activation comes as a surprise. The 35-year-old forward has been skating with the Rangers regularly, but has not had contact yet, and while he has been more optimistic lately about his recovery from October knee surgery, he has never talked about a timetable for playing. In fact, Prospal has been careful not to do that.

Indications are that Prospal is getting close to making his season debut, and whether that is next Tuesday against the Penguins or later in February, that is good news for the Rangers, who can use another skilled offensive player.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...ers-send-five-

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:49 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
Good, get Dubinsky back and we're seriously in business again

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I think it was done more for CBA purposes then that they are both ready. However i expect to see cally back right after the break and possibly prospal soon after....although his status seems to change daily.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I'm enthused. Dunno if its what Rangerboy said and just a move to fill out a roster, or if Vinny is nearing a return, but any little bit helps at this point.

Especially on the power play.

01-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Synergy27

For what it's worth, Sam and Joe were openly discussing Prospal making a "surprise" return to the lineup during the broadcast last night. The timing of this seems weird, especially in light of a lack of any other news on his progress, but if he is indeed ready to go this is very good for the NYR.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:31 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
For what it's worth, Sam and Joe were openly discussing Prospal making a "surprise" return to the lineup during the broadcast last night. The timing of this seems weird, especially in light of a lack of any other news on his progress, but if he is indeed ready to go this is very good for the NYR.
You beat me to it.

What they were saying, or as I think remember correctly, is that Prospal was kind of pleading with Torts to let him play sooner rather than later.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:07 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
You beat me to it.

What they were saying, or as I think remember correctly, is that Prospal was kind of pleading with Torts to let him play sooner rather than later.
Bolding mine

That sounds like the Vinny I know...

jdhebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:07 PM
ZacUSNYR

What is Prospal bonus, I thought it was one million for 15 games. I'd be pleading to play too lol

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post
What is Prospal bonus, I thought it was one million for 15 games. I'd be pleading to play too lol
pretty much lol.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:29 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post
The performance is $1.4M based on games played. The details have been never reported. Larry Brooks wrote the bonus is similar to Brendan Shanahan's 2007-08 10 games played which was worth $2M.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:31 PM
EmpireStateofMind

That's exciting news. Can't wait to have them back. It makes sense now that Sam and Joe were talking about Prospal coming back after the ASG.

EmpireStateofMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:34 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Rangers might be better off Vinny not playing and achieving the bonus. The bonus and White's demoted cap hit are the Rangers cap space. Prospal hasn't played in 11 months. Drury was hurt from not having any training camp. What is Prospal going to look like playing after missing camp and the first 4 months of the season? The Rangers can not take a cap penalty for next season based on the bonuses being rolled over to next season.

Old
01-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Given the emphasis Tortorella has placed on conditioning, I seriously doubt that Prospal will be allowed back into the lineup before the coaching staff thinks he's ready. And since he was re-signed with the idea that having him in the lineup would make the team better, whatever his contract is should not figure into coaching staff's decision.

However, I find it encouraging that Prospal is finally to the point where he's pleading to get into the lineup. I'm hoping that means his knee finally feels better.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:40 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If Vinny can come in and center Gabs like he did last year this team just became a lot more deadly.

Vinny
Step
Arty
Boyler

I really like that set-up. If Vinny P plays LW and EC plays center, i'd like that too but that means 2 of Avery, Feds and Drury have to sit.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:48 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I'm enthused. Dunno if its what Rangerboy said and just a move to fill out a roster, or if Vinny is nearing a return, but any little bit helps at this point.

Especially on the power play.
Just seems fishy the Rangers would announce Callahan and Prospal being activated off IR when they need to have an active roster of 18 skaters. They only had 16 skaters after demoting some players to the AHL.

Callahan targeted February 1 10 days ago. Today is 6 weeks since Callahan broke his hand. The Rangers said he would miss 4-6 weeks. He is on target.

Prospal said nine days ago was skating on one leg

Quote:
The biggest thing to come out from the players was Vinny Prospal's admission that all is not well with his rehab. Prospal said that he has been testing it and was skating "on one leg." The one thing pushing him is his promise to his son that he will play again but certainly he did not seem optimistic.
http://scottyhockey.blogspot.com/201...ber-night.html

8 days later the Rangers activate him off IR

Old
01-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

I hate to say it, and though it wont happen...Drury has been terrible and there really is no place for him once everybody comes back. Stuff is going to be all over the place and the only 2 lines that are will probably be stable are Zuccs-Stepan-Wolski and Prust-Boyle-Feds. Im assuming torts will probably go back to the Cally-Anisimov-Duby line as well. This leaves Avery-EC/Drury/Prospal-Gaborik, and you know drury wont be on the top line, nor does he deserve to be at all, sooooooo somethings gotta give.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR BLUE18 View Post
I hate to say it, and though it wont happen...Drury has been terrible and there really is no place for him once everybody comes back. Stuff is going to be all over the place and the only 2 lines that are will probably be stable are Zuccs-Stepan-Wolski and Prust-Boyle-Feds. Im assuming torts will probably go back to the Cally-Anisimov-Duby line as well. This leaves Avery-EC/Drury/Prospal-Gaborik, and you know drury wont be on the top line, nor does he deserve to be at all, sooooooo somethings gotta give.
I agree. I see no reason to break apart three lines with great chemistry:

Wolski - Stepan - Zuccarello
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

That leaves

Avery. Drury. Prospal. Christensen. Gaborik.

What gives?

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Yea, you have Avery and Gabby on the wings as locks....which has been working, they play well together. I noticed that a lot last night, they talk a lot on the ice too. But then you have those 3 guys and you know it wont be drury. I dont know what to believe with this prospal stuff, I cant see him being ready.

Old
01-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR BLUE18 View Post
Yea, you have Avery and Gabby on the wings as locks....which has been working, they play well together. I noticed that a lot last night, they talk a lot on the ice too. But then you have those 3 guys and you know it wont be drury. I dont know what to believe with this prospal stuff, I cant see him being ready.
Avery is not a lock for me by any means.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Good deal

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Awesome, we need our Captain back ASAP. Yes that would be Callahan, not that joke that wears the C.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Regardless of what torts thinks of the past or anyone else, Avery has played well and is always hard to the puck. Everytime there is puck possession behind the opposing net, its either avery or prust. Who else is it going to be?

Old
01-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I agree. I see no reason to break apart three lines with great chemistry:

Wolski - Stepan - Zuccarello
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

That leaves

Avery. Drury. Prospal. Christensen. Gaborik.

What gives?
Feds-Boyle-Prust is the best 4th line ever since Trottier-Jagr-Some Left Wing for the Pens in 90-91

Drury looks to be the casualty of the numbers. Although, we need his faceoffs and PK.

Avery might suffer too. Last year, Prospal-EC-Gaborik was our most successful line.

The more I look at it, the more it seems that Drury & Avery will be sitting down at the end of the season.

Whoever plays, we cannot disrupt the 3 lines with established chemistry.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Just seems fishy the Rangers would announce Callahan and Prospal being activated off IR when they need to have an active roster of 18 skaters. They only had 16 skaters after demoting some players to the AHL.
Prospal will participate in the first practice after the ASG, have a "setback" and be right back on IR. That's my guess.

He's got to be 100% ready if he's going to take anyone's place on this roster and I just can't see how that's going to be possible by next week.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Its funny you mention how avery n drury might be sitting at the end of the season, because during 2nd intermission last night, my cousin and I were discussing the possibility of Avery and Drury not being rangers at all next season....not saying I want that. Avery is one of the most beloved rangers in recent years, probably one of the most loved rangers ever, but he has 1 year left and drury, well thats another story.