HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tallon Ready To Clean House

Old
01-22-2011, 09:20 PM
SufferingCatFan

vCash: 500
Tallon Ready To Clean House

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../16994831.html

Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reports that Tallon is ready to clean house and that vets are being shopped mentioning Stillman, Dvorak, Olesz and Vokoun. He also suggests that Weiss is available.

I am not overly impressed by Garrioch as a source based upon his piss-poor history, but am passing it along for what it is worth.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post

Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reports that Tallon is ready to clean house and that vets are being shopped mentioning Stillman, Dvorak, Olesz and Vokoun. He also suggests that Weiss is available.

I am not overly impressed by Garrioch as a source based upon his piss-poor history, but am passing it along for what it is worth.
For once, I pray he is right. No point in keeping around veterans, might as well turn them into more liquid (draftpick) assets.

Southern Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:43 PM
KW

Why wouldn't he be right this time. It makes sense. I'm a little surprised about Weiss though, his $-to-performance ratio is pretty decent. If he was a stock on NASDAQ he'd be a pretty good buy. I have to believe DT knows this. Also, while I understand Dvo being on the list because he's a vet, I don't understand why DT doesn't think he's valuable. He wouldn't be that expensive, he's fast, scores some timely goals, can take a lickin and keep on tickin.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Why wouldn't he be right this time. It makes sense. I'm a little surprised about Weiss though, his $-to-performance ratio is pretty decent. If he was a stock on NASDAQ he'd be a pretty good buy. I have to believe DT knows this. Also, while I understand Dvo being on the list because he's a vet, I don't understand why DT doesn't think he's valuable. He wouldn't be that expensive, he's fast, scores some timely goals, can take a lickin and keep on tickin.
About Weiss, I mentioned this earlier in the season. If you're going to trade Vokoun, etc., that means this team likely won't be ready to contend anytime soon. As of right now, Tallon could probably get a lot for Weiss.

With that said, I'd be surprised to see Weiss traded because he's said he wants to be here, and Tallon, ever since he got here, has said that he wanted to upgrade the C position.

As for Dvorak, he's a veteran, and quite honestly, I haven't noticed him much at all, lately. I think he should be traded, just because we can get a 2nd/3rd round pick for him, so why not?

The only veteran I'd really like to keep if possible is Reasoner. I feel like he brings a lot to this team both on the PK, and with faceoffs.

No mention of McCabe?

All in all, Garrioch isn't very credible; I believe that's his reputation.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:22 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post

Vokoun, if he is willing dance partner? If he doesn't want to go to team Tallon is sending him to?

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:28 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
I agree with the above analysis. Weiss has a great p/e ratio as you describe. As does Dvorak who would love to stay and is so versatile. Be surprised if either traded.

Lastly: these sth renewals are due feb 16... Why would tallon clean house prior???

Last edited by adam graves: 01-22-2011 at 10:34 PM.
adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:44 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Lastly: these sth renewals are due feb 16... Why would tallon clean house prior???
If he (Tallon) is cleaning house and on the other hand there's an announcement that no more bonus tickets (for STHs), it wouldn't work,
who would watch these games? He has to know that there has to be some kind of balance (unless owner has told him he can spend or do whatever he wants)

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:48 PM
KW

Quote:
I agree with the above analysis. Weiss has a great p/e ratio as you describe. As does Dvorak who would love to stay and is so versatile. Be surprised if either traded.

Good point. But OTOH they are running the renewals with DT as the main attraction. Maybe that's their advertising gamble. "We got rid of dead wood, trust DT who built a champion in Chicago to do it again in S.FL."

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:57 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
We can only hope.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Erick

Quote:
Why not?

1. This organization hasn't made the playoffs in a decade. I highly doubt fans would oppose change, especially if they see it's good for the organization's future.

2. It's not as if Tallon would be doing something that's going against what he's said since he got here.

3. It really doesn't matter. This team doesn't have a marketable player. Maybe Booth to the fanbase. That's about it. This fanbase doesn't really care for too many of these players. As solid as Weiss is, he doesn't really excite the casual fan that the Panthers are trying to market. Same for Dvorak. Half the fanbase seems to hate Vokoun. At the end of the day, the Panthers only marketable assets are Dale Tallon's plan and the word blueprint.

I'm not saying he'll make moves before Feb. 16th; I'm just saying I don't think it makes a huge difference one way or the other.

Bottom line is, it's not even about marketable players; it's about winning. Fans will start coming if the team starts winning, consistently. Tallon has to do whatever it takes to get the team winning consistently, as soon as possible.

Old
01-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Laus723
Future Now

I think Weiss could very much be available. I love Weiss, always have, but he's a 2nd line guy, not a first. I'd take Weiss being available as Tallon looking to acquire a number one guy in some sort of package deal. No clue as to who that could be, but I'd imagine he'd still be quite young.

Santorelli has proven, imo, that he is a 2nd line center and he has better speed, and is younger than Weiss. Add in how well Reasoner's done and Tallon possibly hoping to sign him, and Matthias doing well enough, I wouldn't be surprised if Weiss is moved. I'd still cheer for him and would only wish him the best. Love the kid, and I'd hope that if he is moved, he'd go to a true contender.

So far as the other guys, I'd like to keep Dvo if possible, Stillman has been playing well and could get a decent return.

01-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Erick

Higgins is coming back soon; he should be trade bait, as well.

Old
01-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Higgins is coming back soon; he should be trade bait, as well.
Yeah, was nice to see him improving a bit, but I don't think he's someone we should consider having around for too long a time. Won't get much for him, but would be a decent throw-in.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yeah, was nice to see him improving a bit, but I don't think he's someone we should consider having around for too long a time. Won't get much for him, but would be a decent throw-in.
He could probably return a 2nd rounder, by himself. At least last year average players were going for 2nd's. Dominic Moore, for example. Hopefully, the trend's the same this year.

Old
01-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Holy Jokinen

It's funny that this rumor pops up after we get 9 out of 12 points, and are 8pts out of a spot. We haven't lost in regulation in 6 games.

I'm not refuting the rumor really, i'm just saying it is strange timing. Especially with what AG said about sth renewals.

But you know, you gotta shop guys for a while to build up a market. So i'm not super surprised if this is at least somewhat true.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
It's funny that this rumor pops up after we get 9 out of 12 points, and are 8pts out of a spot. We haven't lost in regulation in 6 games.

I'm not refuting the rumor really, i'm just saying it is strange timing. Especially with what AG said about sth renewals.

But you know, you gotta shop guys for a while to build up a market. So i'm not super surprised if this is at least somewhat true.
It's Garrioch, so I take it with a grain of salt, but I think Tallon's going to be moving some guys come the deadline. We're in a spot where we can move some guys out building for the future, and if done right still push for the playoffs. Dunno, it'll be an interesting month.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:42 AM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
It's Garrioch, so I take it with a grain of salt, but I think Tallon's going to be moving some guys come the deadline. We're in a spot where we can move some guys out building for the future, and if done right still push for the playoffs. Dunno, it'll be an interesting month.
Generally speaking, you don't sell of assets while still maintaining the intent to push for the playoffs.

I don't presume to know Tallon's thought process, but thats typically how it works.

The last thing we need is another half-assed, half-baked, half-rebuild. We need to pick a direction, and stick to it.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:46 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Hockey View Post
Generally speaking, you don't sell of assets while still maintaining the intent to push for the playoffs.

I don't presume to know Tallon's thought process, but thats typically how it works.

The last thing we need is another half-assed, half-baked, half-rebuild. We need to pick a direction, and stick to it.
Yes, thank you for the explanation. Course, I don't think guys like Santorelli, Booth, Dadonov, and others are going to be moved out. Allen, Stillman, Higgins, and a players like that likely will be. The aforementioned won't stop pushing, and Tallon could be looking for more than just picks and prospects. Someone has to play here.

I'm not expecting the playoffs, but I do expect the team to continue to work hard moving forward.

Old
01-23-2011, 01:51 AM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
Yes, thank you for the explanation. Course, I don't think guys like Santorelli, Booth, Dadonov, and others are going to be moved out. Allen, Stillman, Higgins, and a players like that likely will be. The aforementioned won't stop pushing, and Tallon could be looking for more than just picks and prospects. Someone has to play here.

I'm not expecting the playoffs, but I do expect the team to continue to work hard moving forward.
What exactly is your point?

Old
01-23-2011, 01:56 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
What exactly is your point?
So, you argue the definition of cleaning house in the trade section, but then give me exactly what I said it was here? mmmmk!

What do you think my point is? Who argues just to argue???

My point is that Tallon's not going to make moves YET to jeopardize this season, but moves clearly need to be made. This, they're not likely to clean house as said in this article. However, I do expect players who SHOULD be moved to be moved, just possibly not for as many picks as if the team were in the Devils' territory in the standings.

Old
01-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
So, you argue the definition of cleaning house in the trade section, but then give me exactly what I said it was here? mmmmk!

What do you think my point is? Who argues just to argue???

My point is that Tallon's not going to make moves YET to jeopardize this season, but moves clearly need to be made. This, they're not likely to clean house as said in this article. However, I do expect players who SHOULD be moved to be moved, just possibly not for as many picks as if the team were in the Devils' territory in the standings.
I'm not really sure what your point is, you seem to be arguing with yourself. What's your problem with the term "cleaning house". It's a figure of speech, and it's what the article used.

Old
01-23-2011, 02:04 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I'm not really sure what your point is, you seem to be arguing with yourself. What's your problem with the term "cleaning house". It's a figure of speech, and it's what the article used.
It's not hard, you however are looking to argue...g'day.

Old
01-23-2011, 02:20 AM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
It's not hard, you however are looking to argue...g'day.
No I was really just offering my take, which you took offense to as usual.

I'm done with this as well.

Old
01-23-2011, 04:07 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Trading Weiss for picks and prospects would be the last straw with this team with many fans I think. They can't do that move.

Mogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:22 AM
Georgia Panther

I think Tallon, after seeing this team blow leads game after game and having a powerless powerplay, wants to put his own stamp on the team and change the culture on the Panthers, both on the roster and on the coaching staff. Any and all are likely available and true progress will/may be made only when Tallon's draft picks are ready to hit the NHL ice and once there allowed to mature for 2 or 3 years. In other words, this team is at least 5 years away from consistent Playoff Hockey though they may get lucky and slip in for a brief appearance before then. Of course the question is, will the franchise be around by then?

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote