HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Colorado - Nashville

Old
01-23-2011, 10:50 AM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Top 3 on a team or in the league?

He's top 3 on any franchise in the NHL.

He's not top 3 in terms of, he won't go third in a fantasy draft.
Really? Top 3 on any franchise? If he's a top 3 forward on any team you're saying he's the number 1 center on 30 NHL teams. I think Crosby, Malkin and Backstrom would tend to differ. Then there's Toews, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Stamkos.

Not saying he isn't a talented center. He's a top 3 forward on most teams. He's not elite.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So because he's the Avs number 1 center means he's a top 3 forward? Top 3 forwards to me are the elite players in the NHL. Stastny is great no doubt but is he a franchise type player at this point in his career? Does he scare you every time he's on the ice? Is he in the same class that Sakic and Forsberg were? I'm not so sure I answer yes to any of those questions. No doubt his stats are quite good but he's not a dominating force out there which I equate to a top 3 forward.
He is a top 15 center in the league. He isn't at the level of Sakic and Forsberg who were top 5 centers in the league.

I don't even know what you mean with "top 3" forward. Stastny is the first line center on the Avs and he would be on the Preds.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Really? Top 3 on any franchise? If he's a top 3 forward on any team you're saying he's the number 1 center on 30 NHL teams. I think Crosby, Malkin and Backstrom would tend to differ. Then there's Toews, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Stamkos.

Not saying he isn't a talented center. He's a top 3 forward on most teams. He's not elite.
I am not sure your post makes any sense. He is a top-3 forward on practically any team in the NHL. Even if he is not the number one center on a particular team, he is no worse than a number two center. If he was on Pittsburgh, you can bet that Malkin would be playing wing.

You seem to be confusing the concepts of a top-3 forward on any team and a considering him a top-3 forward in the entire NHL, which as far as I can tell, no one is claiming on this thread.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:13 AM
JSilvius*

Quote:

This post makes little to no sense. He will be one of the three best forwards on any team in the league. Pittsburgh, Anahiem, San Jose, etc. Like Pyke said, he's criminally underrated, and I wouldn't even consider giving up Liles and a 2nd with him for Weber. I'd rather have Stastny on my team than Weber right now too.

JSilvius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:27 AM
bert

edit* content removed

Last edited by bert: 01-23-2011 at 11:39 AM.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:28 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
So because he's the Avs number 1 center means he's a top 3 forward? Top 3 forwards to me are the elite players in the NHL. Stastny is great no doubt but is he a franchise type player at this point in his career? Does he scare you every time he's on the ice? Is he in the same class that Sakic and Forsberg were? I'm not so sure I answer yes to any of those questions. No doubt his stats are quite good but he's not a dominating force out there which I equate to a top 3 forward.
You should probably state that next time. You know since I can't read your mind and all. Top 3 generally means first line player, top 6 generally means player in the 1st/2nd lines. I didn't know you had a different definition in which case I wouldn't have responded.

Also, there are few forwards now that can scare you every time they are on the ice let alone the same class as Sakic and Forsberg. As far as him scaring you on the ices goes, you probably won't even notice him on the ice honestly (in a good way).

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:47 AM
glenngineer

I see what you guys are saying and I wasn't terribly clear in what I was saying. Stastny is a top 3 on most teams. Is he elite? Probably not. He's one notch below the true greats in the game today. Probably a better analogy this way.

Old
01-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
I see what you guys are saying and I wasn't terribly clear in what I was saying. Stastny is a top 3 on most teams. Is he elite? Probably not. He's one notch below the true greats in the game today. Probably a better analogy this way.
As is Weber.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:55 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
As is Weber.
I agree.

Old
01-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Ellipson

I'm just glad that none of the people who are advocating trading Stastny are the GM. He's really underrated on this board because he's not flashy. To the people saying "Well Hishon could fill that role"; we've been pretty lucky with our prospects turning into great players for us. This is not always the rule of the road; see Brassard and Filatov in Columbus for starters. If you really think Hishon is going to work out, why not wait until he's in the NHL and then make a trade decision? We're not going to win the Cup this year, so what sense does it make to trade one weakness for another this early?

If (and this is a massive if) Hishon turns out to be a near PPG player in the NHL and we have center depth like Philadelphia, I will absolutely be on board with trading Stastny or another center for a #1 D. Until then...

Obviously someone needs to make a main board thread to increase his value before we trade him.

Ellipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:16 PM
predfan24

I have to disagree with you here Glen. A top 3 player means a 1st line forward. Stantsy is a first line center for sure. He is underrated because unlike other young near PPG forwards he isn't an explosive or flashy player.

I wouldn't do the OP's original deal. Stoa and Cuminsky are not players the Preds need. They would not get into our lineup. S basically it's Stantsy and a 2nd for Weber. Preds don't do this. The Preds are built from the defense out and don't trade their young captain who also happens to be a franchise Dman.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote