HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jerry Sullivan is taking Pegula Day off

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2011, 10:19 AM
HogtownSabresfan

vCash: 500
Jerry Sullivan is taking Pegula Day off

I like Sullivan but how can I take him seriously when he says on radio this morning saying he won't be at the press conference Tuesday because he has "the day off."
Ha! Ha!. Guy talks a big game and one of the biggest stories in Buffalo sports and he can't rework his schedule to cover it.
C'mon Jerry, shows how Buffalo sports writers are as lackadaisical as the teams they cover.

Last edited by HogtownSabresfan: 02-21-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old
02-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
He didn't attend the Golisano/Quinn presser for the same reason. Journalism is dead.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Stopped reading after "I like Sullivan."

Old
02-21-2011, 10:48 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He didn't attend the Golisano/Quinn presser for the same reason. Journalism is dead.
I did not know that. I don't think he has to travel with the team or do all the after game stuff. That's Vogl's job. But a major presser like this, down the street from the News? Disgraceful. He's clearly too comfortable in his job -- like a few Sabres.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:22 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

It depends why he's off.

If he's on furlough, it's not easy to change that and the union will not let him work while he's on furlough.

I know a D&C sportswriter very well and he gets caught with that quite often and fans don't understand why he doesn't write or blog about big events from time to time.

When you're off, you're off.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:25 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
It depends why he's off.

If he's on furlough, it's not easy to change that and the union will not let him work while he's on furlough.

I know a D&C sportswriter very well and he gets caught with that quite often and fans don't understand why he doesn't write or blog about big events from time to time.

When you're off, you're off.
Please, game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. Sorry I'm off.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

It's not like he's the only sports writer in town. I'm sure the story will get covered, and that's probably why he doesn't see it as a huge deal for him to have the day off. There's still gonna be tons of reporters writing about this.

The internet has probably killed a lot of passion in journalists. They just aren't in as high demand now.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Please, game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. Sorry I'm off.
Something like that is a lot easier to work around than a press conference to announce something like this.

It's not like they had as much notice on this one.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:36 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Something like that is a lot easier to work around than a press conference to announce something like this.

It's not like they had as much notice on this one.
This press conference was announced days ago. Listen to him on WGR, he sounds like he just can't be bothered to attend. I can't understand that. he's got a chance to grill the new owner on Regier/Ruff/Connolly etc. Either he's a coward or just damn lazy.

Last edited by HogtownSabresfan: 02-21-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old
02-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

Quote:
This press conference was announced days ago. Listen to him on WGR, he sounds like he just can be bothered to attend. I can't understand that. he's got a chance to grill the new owner on Regier/Ruff/Connolly etc. Either he's a coward or just damn lazy.
maybe he has his annual prostate exam and couldn't reschedule on short notice. point is, the story is going to be covered whether or not sullivan is there.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:59 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
This press conference was announced days ago. Listen to him on WGR, he sounds like he just can be bothered to attend. I can't understand that. he's got a chance to grill the new owner on Regier/Ruff/Connolly etc. Either he's a coward or just damn lazy.
All I was putting out there is that there are times when newspaper columnists and reporters CAN'T work certain days.

Knowing how pretty much every newspaper makes people take furloughs to cut expenses, it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case here, is all.

I doubt that Sully is a coward or lazy. Especially given how he stuck his noise into the Miller vs Vogl situation recently.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:00 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Ward View Post
maybe he has his annual prostate exam and couldn't reschedule on short notice. point is, the story is going to be covered whether or not sullivan is there.
Personally, I wish Bucky had a furlough week this week.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:04 PM
delectrolux

Thank Goodness. I won't have to read a horribly skewed crankyfest for at least the first day of the Pegula era.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Ward View Post
Remember Robie says that "for the first time it is recomended to monitor PSA levels before taking any further action." See he's supporting the organization, just in his own way.

But in all seriousness are we that starved for something to complain about that were crabbing over whether or not a sportswriter will attend the Pegula Presser?

Old
02-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Sabretip

Frankly, why does anyone even care what or when Sullivan writes about? The guy is the sports-equivalent of Don Imus - some carnival barker intent on complaining about something every day, no matter the sport or subject.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:31 PM
OcAirlines

Wow, we really always find new reasons to **** about the Sabres or anyone even remotely involved with the organisation.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
This press conference was announced days ago. Listen to him on WGR, he sounds like he just can't be bothered to attend. I can't understand that. he's got a chance to grill the new owner on Regier/Ruff/Connolly etc. Either he's a coward or just damn lazy.
Really? Dude, what world do you live in? NOBODY is going to grill Terry Pegula tomorrow. I'd be shocked if anyone even asks a question about Darcy's future, there may be questions about how "free" or how they view Darcy but it'd be a easy question. Nobody is going to ask "are you going to fire Darcy?... what?! NO?!!! WHY!" And their not going to start grilling him about Connolly. Please man, get real.

Jerry Sullivan will watch it on his computer like the rest of us.

Who cares about if he's there or not?

Old
02-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekera44 View Post
Really? Dude, what world do you live in? NOBODY is going to grill Terry Pegula tomorrow. I'd be shocked if anyone even asks a question about Darcy's future, there may be questions about how "free" or how they view Darcy but it'd be a easy question. Nobody is going to ask "are you going to fire Darcy?... what?! NO?!!! WHY!" And their not going to start grilling him about Connolly. Please man, get real.

Jerry Sullivan will watch it on his computer like the rest of us.

Who cares about if he's there or not?
They may not ask it flat out but someone will certainly ask about the future concerns of the team. Especially regarding Ruff/Regier.

Old
02-21-2011, 02:11 PM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
He's offically owned the team for less than 24 hours now, and we already want to get on him for the state of the team. He probably hasn't even set up an office yet!

Old
02-21-2011, 02:29 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Quote:
how can I take him seriously
You can't.

Old
02-21-2011, 02:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
They may not ask it flat out but someone will certainly ask about the future concerns of the team. Especially regarding Ruff/Regier.
Giving them a softball question is much different then grilling them on their response, as the OP wanted from Sullivan.

Old
02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

What on earth does it matter why he's not there? Vogl, Bucky, and Harrington are all very capable of getting the story.

Old
02-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork Bork View Post
What on earth does it matter why he's not there? Vogl, Bucky, and Harrington are all very capable of getting the story.
Someone needs to be there to make an ass of themselves and grill the new owner for no real reason!

Old
02-21-2011, 04:26 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork Bork View Post
He's the most outspoken. For his own credibility, he should be there. And if nobody ask any tough questions, that's what you get in a one newspaper town.
If it was Montreal, Toronto, the press would be relentless. The number one question is what's going to happen to Regier/Ruff. If it's not asked, there is something seriously wrong.
He may not answer but you have to ask.

Old
02-21-2011, 05:15 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
He's the most outspoken. For his own credibility, he should be there. And if nobody ask any tough questions, that's what you get in a one newspaper town.
If it was Montreal, Toronto, the press would be relentless. The number one question is what's going to happen to Regier/Ruff. If it's not asked, there is something seriously wrong.
He may not answer but you have to ask.
I would expect Bucky, who's been lobbying for Regier to get removed for a while, should be the one to ask that one and not Jerry.

Closed Thread