HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Here's what to do for next year

Old
01-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Pengo

vCash: 500
Okay, this is basically my "dream" offseason, although I think it's somewhat realistic.

UFA:

Brad Richards, 3 * $9M OR 5 * $8.5M (read below)
Bryan McCabe, 2 * $4.5M
Marcel Goc, 2 * $1.5M (though I would consider Byron for #3C based on how good he is for the rest of the season)
Anton Babchuk, 2 * $2M
Cody McCormick, 1 * $750K

That's probably an overpayment for Richards either way, but it would probably take that to get him to Buffalo and he would be the #1 center we need.

When you think about it, the next time a #1 center of that caliber will (realistically) be available as a UFA is Malkin in 2014. That's why I think it's so important to sign Richards this offseason. I would offer 3 * $9M if we plan to go after Malkin, and 5 * $8.5M if not.

ANYWAY,

RFA:

Drew Stafford, 2 * $2M (I think he would take this, as he'll be a UFA at the end)
Andrej Sekera, 2 * $1.25M (same as above)
Mike Weber, 2 * $700K
Jhonas Enroth, 2 * $600K

Trades/Player Movement:

Jochen Hecht and Shaone Morrisonn. They're just getting paid too much for what they bring. Get whatever you can without taking salary back.

Roster:

Vanek - Richards - Pominville
Ennis - Roy - Stafford
Adam - Goc - Kassian
Kaleta - Gaustad - McCormick

McCabe - Myers
Sekera - Weber
Leopold - Babchuk

Miller
Enroth

In total, that's $56,067,024 with Richards at $9M, and $55,567,024 with Richards at $8.5M, which gives us tons of room.

Thoughts? Say what you want about Richards being a Sabre, but I think this makes us a contending team without having to trade any valuable assets.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 01:46 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Okay, this is basically my "dream" offseason, although I think it's somewhat realistic.

UFA:

Bryan McCabe, 2 * $4.5M
Marcel Goc, 2 * $1.5M (though I would consider Byron for #3C based on how good he is for the rest of the season)
Anton Babchuk, 2 * $2M

That's probably an overpayment for Richards either way, but it would probably take that to get him to Buffalo and he would be the #1 center we need.

When you think about it, the next time a #1 center of that caliber will (realistically) be available as a UFA is Malkin in 2014. That's why I think it's so important to sign Richards this offseason. I would offer 3 * $9M if we plan to go after Malkin, and 5 * $8.5M if not.

ANYWAY,

RFA:

Drew Stafford, 2 * $2M (I think he would take this, as he'll be a UFA at the end)
Mike Weber, 2 * $700K
Jhonas Enroth, 2 * $600K

Trades/Player Movement:

Jochen Hecht and Shaone Morrisonn. They're just getting paid too much for what they bring. Get whatever you can without taking salary back.

Roster:

Ennis - Roy - Stafford
Adam - Goc - Kassian

McCabe - Myers
Sekera - Weber
Leopold - Babchuk

Miller
Enroth

In total, that's $56,067,024 with Richards at $9M, and $55,567,024 with Richards at $8.5M, which gives us tons of room.

Thoughts? Say what you want about Richards being a Sabre, but I think this makes us a contending team without having to trade any valuable assets.
Interesting take on Richards, I think that is too much for him IMO. I agree on Hecht and Morrisonn. What is sooo wrong with keeping Montador? Is he grossly overpaid, or a weak link defensively? I would add Gaustad and Connolly to the list of guys to go thru trade. And entertain offers for Stafford, but if he stays for a yr or two more it's not the end of the world. And lastly, I am not 100% sold on Adam being an effective NHLer yet. Gerbe still has alot to prove, but he is getting there, I hope the "new improved" Gerbe is the permanent one.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:

UFA:

Bryan McCabe, 2 * $4.5M
Anton Babchuk, 2 * $2M

ANYWAY,

RFA:

Mike Weber, 2 * $700K
Jhonas Enroth, 2 * $600K

Trades/Player Movement:

Roster:

Ennis - Roy - Stafford
Adam - Goc - Kassian

McCabe - Myers
Sekera - Weber
Leopold - Babchuk

Miller
Enroth

WAY too many offensive defensemen in there. We need at least one more stay at home type of defender in there. McCabe is old and broken down, Myers, Weber and Sekera are still young and prone to making mistakes, and Leopold and Babchuk aren't defensive players. We'd be in the same spot we are now, young guys are too green, old guys are too old. I'd rather have Morrisonn than Babchuk.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:46 PM
buffalowing88

Quote:

UFA:

Bryan McCabe, 2 * $4.5M
Anton Babchuk, 2 * $2M

ANYWAY,

RFA:

Mike Weber, 2 * $700K
Jhonas Enroth, 2 * $600K

Trades/Player Movement:

Roster:

Ennis - Roy - Stafford
Adam - Goc - Kassian

McCabe - Myers
Sekera - Weber
Leopold - Babchuk

Miller
Enroth

I like that you're going for some bold moves with your plan because this team is going to need them if they want to break out of this rut.
My main issue is with Mccabe and the defensive plan. I see 4 offensive defensemen and a 20 year old who still needs a lot of time to harness his defensive abilities. We need a more reliable back end guy. McCabe isn't even worth that in my mind. He's always been a good player on crappy teams and I don't want those type of players on this team.

Also, is it putting too much pressure to put Kassian on that third line role already? He's going to get lots of opportunities next year anyways with Kaleta's injury issues so no need to rush him into a role he can't necessarily handle.

Lastly, I don't know how easy it would be to just "Get rid of" Hecht. He's overpaid and not all that productive. Not a whole lot of teams in the market for that.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Pengo

Thanks for reading everyone.

I thought that McCabe was very physical despite being an offensive d-man? You guys are probably right about the defense, although Sekera, Weber, and Myers will hopefully continue to get better. As long as we get a #2 d-man (as I talked about on the last page), I think our D will be fine. I'd be alright with re-signing Montador, but I'm not really sure if he's a second-pairing defenseman.

I was debating between Gerbe and Adam. Luckily Adam has a flexible ELC so they are basically interchangeable salary-wise. I'm just guessing that Kassian will be able to step in next season as Myers was able to. Obviously that's asking a lot from him though.

About the trades, those are only from the offseason onward so I didn't include Connolly, Grier, etc. I think Gaustad is better than most of the other #4 centers available and he's only signed for one more season anyway.

---

Overall, the player I'm most adamant about getting is Richards. I think he turns us from a 6-10 team in the East to a 1-4 team. Maybe that's overrating him, but Richards + a healthy Roy would be about as good as Briere + Drury IMO.

I know we would have no chance at him with Golisano + Quinn, but the new ownership/president might want to make a big splash right away.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:

UFA:

Bryan McCabe, 2 * $4.5M
Anton Babchuk, 2 * $2M

Richards is unrealistic, for reasons discussed ad nauseum on this board, and reiterated in your Brad Richards thread. For one, I don't see him accepting a three-year deal, even if Buffalo is offering $9m per. He'll have plenty of 5-7 yr offers in front of him, probably in the neighborhood of $7+ per season. He'd be stupid to elect to become a UFA again when he's 34. The 5yr/$42.5 mil deal is intriguing, even if a severe overpayment--I tend to think there are far more holes on this team that need filling--because that's the deal that'd probably required to get him even contemplating Buffalo.

I could live with the Goc signing. He'd be a decent 3C. Personally, I'd prefer Belanger, but I wouldn't be upset with either.

I like getting McCormick back, and $750k is a fair price.

I don't like the McCabe signing, but I could see Buffalo turning to him after striking out on Pitkanen, Ehrhoff, and Kaberle. In other words, it'll probably happen.

If McCabe is in the fold, we have a PPQB and Babchuk isn't all that necessary. Myers, McCabe, and Leopold (plus a forward) are more than sufficient on the points. The Calgary defenseman I'd be interested in is Sarich.

Quote:
Mike Weber, 2 * $700K
Jhonas Enroth, 2 * $600K
Stafford: Way too low. He's making $2.3m this season, and you think he's going to take a paycut? I think something in the 3yr/$9m range ($3.0 cap hit) is far more realistic.

Sekera: Again, too low. He's making $1.25m this season. I doubt he'll want the same salary for the next two seasons, especially when he's playing top-4 minutes and, at least in the eyes of him and his agent, he's matriculating nicely. I'd say something in the $1.75-$2.1 range, depending on the term, is more realistic.

Weber: Personally, I think it'll be closer to $850-$900k, but we're splitting hairs.

Enroth: I look at Cory Schneider as the comparable. Both young. Both well-regarded prospects. Both had their moments in the AHL. Both backing up top-flight netminders. I could see 2 yrs for a cap hit around $850k.

Quote:
Trades/Player Movement:

I'd look at moving Hecht. Solid player, but if you can get a solid, 30-point winger who kills penalties for a lower cost, move him.

I've vascillated on Morrisonn. On the one hand, we have LD who are better (Leopold, Sekera, Weber, not to mention if we sign a PPQB), so losing him and allocating his salary elsewhere wouldn't kill the team. On the other hand, he's been quite good since December: +6 and he's bringing the hits and blocked shots now. If we lose Montador, Sekera is almost certainly going to the right side, likely with Weber. I'm fine with Morrisonn on the left side of the 3rd pairing, and taking it slow with guys like Scheistel, Brennan, et al. But I'm not going to lose sleep if they deal him.

The trade I'd like to see is Butler + pick (4th?) for Cory Sarich. Sarich will be in the last year of his deal with Calgary. He hits, blocks shots, and can clear the front of the net. He's a good leader, too.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Pengo

My mistake on Stafford and Sekera. I didn't know they were making different salaries this season than they were last season.

Though that $2.1M and $1.25M could be an average.

Old
02-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Pengo

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...sorship-strong

It says there that Jagr is thinking about returning to the NHL next season. If Patrick is named team president then there's obviously a connection there. Although I don't know if Jagr and Patrick are still on good terms.

It also says he would like to go to a playoff team, so it would help if we made it this season.

Old
02-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
More realistic -- those of a religious bent should pray and pray hard that Roy is back at nearly 100%, that some of the prospects break through as full-time, legit NHLers next season, and that someone falls into their lap to take on the #1 or #2 center duties.

As BGM pointed out, Richards is not signing for 2 years anywhere. He'll get to cash out on the final contract of his career for a serious cap hit to one of a couple of teams looking hard for that elusive #1 pivot (or possibly in the Kings case, a superior #2). The Sabres not only have social stigma working against them, but years of upper management's shoddy treatment of players during negotiations and a hard-earned reputation for following the bottom line rather than either doing right by the players or the fans. Add in them teetering on the brink of a third non-playoff year in four while continuing to thin their NHL-level talent base? Please. They need a reclaimation project who needs a place to play as much as the player needs to prove they aren't a has-been.

So queue up to the religious edifice of your choice, since it looks like divine intervention is going to be the only way out of yet another mediocre season next year.
As painful as it is to accept, I think your appraisal is dead-on and accurate as always.

The only x-factor that might alleviate the time factor involved in repairing the organization's image is if Pegula were to completely clean house in management - meaning both Regier and Ruff - in trying to put a brand new face on the franchise and how it will be run. In doing so, if he were to bring in replacements with solid reputations and favorable histories with players from their former teams, it may create incentive for some potential free agents to come to Buffalo.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...sorship-strong

It says there that Jagr is thinking about returning to the NHL next season. If Patrick is named team president then there's obviously a connection there. Although I don't know if Jagr and Patrick are still on good terms.

It also says he would like to go to a playoff team, so it would help if we made it this season.
Pegula represents legitmate hope - bringing in a 39-year old former star past his prime like Jagr would represent nothing more than a cheap PR ploy and band-aid on the ice IMO.

Old
02-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
What if we traded a something of minimal value to NYR in the offseason for Drury and their 1st? Drury only has one season left at $5M actual salary. He has a NMC but he would probably waive it to go back to Buffalo (I think).

I think it's worth considering if we miss out on Ehrhoff and Pitkanen. Other than Richards and Laich, there aren't really any great UFA centers.

Maybe Drury just needs a change of scenery?
I think there are many who'd flame you for the proposal but I think it isn't that crazy. Bringing in a character player who's proven his leadership with many of the players on the current roster wouldn't be a bad step towards rebuilding some of what the franchise has lost since he and Briere left. Granted, Drury isn't likely to post the kind of offense he did in 2005-07 if he were to come back but as a 2nd line/3rd line player, he'd be an asset.

The critics though will never excuse paying a role player $5M if they are already on Hecht for getting $3M....

Old
02-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Pengo

I dunno man, I think Jagr can still be a 60-point player. He has 49 points in 47 games in the KHL this season.

But I think he said the same thing last season so he might not be totally serious.

Old
02-06-2011, 01:00 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
I dunno man, I think Jagr can still be a 60-point player. He has 49 points in 47 games in the KHL this season.

But I think he said the same thing last season so he might not be totally serious.
When he wants to play hard, he is inseparable from the puck in all 3 zones.
But, I question whether he wants to play in all 3 zones, whether Ruff is back coaching or not. Sure, he might put up 60 points, and be -25 in +/-.

Probability <1%, IMO.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Probability <1%, IMO.
Hey, it's better than nothing.

If probability of Jagr is less than 1%, then what's the probability of Richards?

Old
02-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Pengo

This isn't going to happen, but if Nashville disappoints in the playoffs again and Trotz is fired, would you rather have him or Ruff as the coach?

Old
02-12-2011, 11:01 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
This isn't going to happen, but if Nashville disappoints in the playoffs again and Trotz is fired, would you rather have him or Ruff as the coach?
Um. Ruff? The knock on Ruff around here, amongst other things, is that he truly hasn't accomplished anything of significance. Trotz has accomplished far less than Lindy.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Pengo

True, but Ruff has had better rosters than Trotz and Nashville has still made the playoffs five of the last six seasons.

Having a coach who is as good or better than Ruff (which Trotz is) but isn't Ruff might be the spark this team needs to finally win. But like I said, Trotz probably isn't leaving Nashville anytime soon.

Old
02-12-2011, 11:22 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
True, but Ruff has had better rosters than Trotz and Nashville has still made the playoffs five of the last six seasons.

Having a coach who is as good or better than Ruff (which Trotz is) but isn't Ruff might be the spark this team needs to finally win. But like I said, Trotz probably isn't leaving Nashville anytime soon.
True. Those who want Ruff out, and bring up his lack of winning anything as support for the cause, aren't necessarily saying they want a coach with 48 Cup rings - unrealistic.

A change is a change, I suppose.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Regier said the other day that Pegula has strongly held opinions about certain players around the league. A good start to bolstering our bottom-6--which, excluding Gaustad, has sucked out loud recently, coinciding with this losing streak--may be to pursue guys like Max Talbot and Pascal Dupuis. Both are UFA's after this season. Both have Cups on their resumes. Both are strong PKers (both play more than 2:30 per game on the PK). I envision taking Grier's and Niedermayer's jobs.

Given Pegula's affinity for the Pens organization, and at least one former Pens executive already on board, I could see giving either or both contract offers.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Miller30Sabres*

Keep!!!

Ennis
Gerbe
Hecht
Kaleta
McCormick
Pominville
Roy
Stafford
Vanek
Leopold
Montador
Myers
Sekera
Miller
Enroth

TRADE the others

Miller30Sabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Ryan English
@ryanenglish_FC

why keep hecht?

Ryan English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller30Sabres View Post
Ennis
Gerbe
Hecht
Kaleta
McCormick
Pominville
Roy
Stafford
Vanek
Leopold
Montador
Myers
Sekera
Miller
Enroth

TRADE the others
thats a big list. you would keep all of those guys, unconditionally?

Also, not sure if Roy could be traded atm

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Miller30Sabres*

what do you guys think about getting Kris Latang?

Miller30Sabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)

Quote:
not sure if Pittsburgh is looking to move Letang, but I am wondering if Pittsburgh is looking for a center if Crosby and Malkin will be out for the rest of the season, and I read that Staal got hit in the head with a puck..... I honestly don't know their situation.

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:57 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Letang isn't going anywhere.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote