HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unsung Heroes

Old
01-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

vCash: 500
Unsung Heroes

Lets face it, we shouldn't be winning. We should probably be around 10th in the conference right now.

Our elite goal scorer isnt scoring. We have 7 forwards on the IR, that would have been on the roster at the beginning of the year. (and Boogard)

We traded our only real Vet Defenseman.

So I would just like to nominate some people for recently holding down the fort and doing a great job stepping up.

1) McDonaugh- We all thought he was gonna be solid. He is playing like a legit 2nd pairing defenseman, and making the Rozy trade look even better.

2) Sather (Wolski)- What a trade right now. Because McDonaugh is stepping up, and because of all the injuries, and because Wolski has 6 points in 6 games. I know its not a long time to base it on, but they have done an amazing job.

3) Sauer/Eminger- Neither of whom we thought would be a MAJOR part of our team this year. They both have been an incredible asset to be, and have both just been solid overall.

4) Torts- Finally Torts has been the ultimate guy to hold down the fort. He has done an amazing job keeping up the team morale, and not letting anything get him down. What a coach. Has to be highly considered for coach of the year.

The reason for McD and Wolski are because they have performed when our injuries mounted the most.

Who do you guys think are the unsung heroes as of late, or as of the whole season?

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:19 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Brian Mother ****ing Boyle.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Brian Mother ****ing Boyle.
Yeah I was gonna put him on my list, but I figured he's not very unsung. He gets a hell of a lot of recognition on these boards.

But yeah he has been a surprisingly consistent force that has held the team together, with big goals, and big plays.

Old
01-23-2011, 04:27 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Honestly 99% of this team is made of unsung heroes. Look at what we are playing with and look at where we are. Everyone in this organization is contributing from the ground up.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:20 PM
ck20

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Honestly 99% of this team is made of unsung heroes. Look at what we are playing with and look at where we are. Everyone in this organization is contributing from the ground up.
This. The only super star talent/big names we have are Hank and Gaby, the rest of the roster I doubt many that don't follow the team could name outside of Avery/Dru/Staal. I've heard some announcers stumble over themselves trying to pronouncing AA's name. We're getting contributions on all fronts, all lines, every night, damn near every single shift. The grinding and never-say-never mentality hasn't let up one bit on the ice and the entire team and staff should be commended for what they've done this season.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:24 PM
SirKillalot

I smell a "The Replacements" playoff-theme if you make it there.

SirKillalot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
I smell a "The Replacements" playoff-theme if you make it there.
Its been a "The-Replacements" themed season.

Old
01-23-2011, 06:48 PM
GbgRanger

Michael Sauer and Eminger. Eminger took some flak in the start of the season but now these two guys are steady and working in the shadows. As long as I remember there has been a scapegoat on the rangers defense. Some guy that the fans loved to rant about. Some guy that gave me the sense that the rest of the team felt insecure when the guy was on the ice. Sauer and Eminger on the other hand are steady as rocks right now. I love it. Sauer is starting to get more and more praise from Micheletti though and I love it. One of my happiest moments this season was when Sauer scored his first goal. It was great!

GbgRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:22 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I get that Miracle USA Team feel about this team

I kid, I kid.

01-23-2011, 07:26 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
It's gotta be Sauer and Eminger. They have both stepped up and played better than expected hockey. Their emergence as steady reliable defenseman enabled Sather and Torts to be ok with moving Rozsival.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I would say Torts is it.

You don't have THIS many players producing above expectations without the coach doing something right.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 1950
People don't give much love to Girardi. He's a shot blocking machine who never missed a game as a Ranger and rarely has a bad game.

01-24-2011, 10:08 AM
proper animal
Sorry by me

Prust never gets enough credit in my opinion. Sure he doesn't score a lot, but he does damn near everything else.

proper animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
It's gotta be Sauer and Eminger. They have both stepped up and played better than expected hockey. Their emergence as steady reliable defenseman enabled Sather and Torts to be ok with moving Rozsival.
If I had to pick just one, probably Eminger. I always thought Sauer was good, but Eminger was downright brutal through the first 10 games. Once he got a handle on what Torts wanted AND how to execute it though, I was really surprised at how effective he became.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:48 AM
hamhill

Sauer

hamhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:59 AM
howztheglass

Very hard to give it to one player so let's say the defense because we all seem to agree that everyone of the defense-man have stepped up their game--starting with Sauer and Eminger only to be followed by McD and Girardi,Staal,and yes it's little tough to say it but Gilroy.The only 1 who has had a rough go of it is MDZ but at 21 he's still young enough to be the impact player we hope he will become.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:09 AM
mullichicken25

being as everybody short of Jim Ramsey has had an appreciation thread this season, i'd say there are no unsung heros on this team

besides maybe Jim Ramsey

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:13 AM
NYROrtsFan

Fedotenko... Dude does nothing extremely well, but he does a lot of things that aren't obvious that clearly help the team.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
Very hard to give it to one player so let's say the defense because we all seem to agree that everyone of the defense-man have stepped up their game--starting with Sauer and Eminger only to be followed by McD and Girardi,Staal,and yes it's little tough to say it but Gilroy.The only 1 who has had a rough go of it is MDZ but at 21 he's still young enough to be the impact player we hope he will become.
He doesn't even turn 21 til the summer, he is still extremely young.

Old
01-24-2011, 12:42 PM
rody

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
People don't give much love to Girardi. He's a shot blocking machine who never missed a game as a Ranger and rarely has a bad game.
considering most of the time the announcers think Staal shuts down Crosby, Ov. E. Staal. all by himself. too bad he will miss the game tonight. his first missed game since his junior career in 2002.

rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
To answer your question as far as who the hero has been, Boyle has really stepped up this year.

Although I'm not sure that we shouldn't be winning. We're not as star-studded as we used to be, and our one superstar is not having a superstar season, but hockey is more about teamwork and chemistry, which we have plenty of. Look at Nashville. They have one star and that's Weber. And yet they're in 4th in the West right now and ALWAYS lurking around, in the hunt. If you watch Nashville, which I have on occasion, you'll see a team that doesn't do it with names, but rather gets the job done with hard work and team play. The Rangers don't put the most impressive numbers up, but they are where they should be because they've worked for it, and worked through the injuries. I think in many ways it's the right way to go. Look at the names on San Jose, and then look at the names on Nashville. Now look at the standings and tell me where you'd rather be right now. San Jose's lineup reads like an all-star team but I'd much rather be where Nashville is. I don't think this a fairytale team. Like the Preds, the Rangers are a legit playoff team. Now, don't get me wrong, when guys like Dubinsky, Callahan, Girardi, and Feds come back, the talent DOES go up, but the work ethic goes up twofold.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Stepanformayor*

I think that Stepan has been as big of a unsung hero as anyone. He has played in all the games, is second in scoring on our team, and the fact that no one here including me thought he would even make this team. My vote is Step!!

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
To answer your question as far as who the hero has been, Boyle has really stepped up this year.

Although I'm not sure that we shouldn't be winning. We're not as star-studded as we used to be, and our one superstar is not having a superstar season, but hockey is more about teamwork and chemistry, which we have plenty of. Look at Nashville. They have one star and that's Weber. And yet they're in 4th in the West right now and ALWAYS lurking around, in the hunt. If you watch Nashville, which I have on occasion, you'll see a team that doesn't do it with names, but rather gets the job done with hard work and team play. The Rangers don't put the most impressive numbers up, but they are where they should be because they've worked for it, and worked through the injuries. I think in many ways it's the right way to go. Look at the names on San Jose, and then look at the names on Nashville. Now look at the standings and tell me where you'd rather be right now. San Jose's lineup reads like an all-star team but I'd much rather be where Nashville is. I don't think this a fairytale team. Like the Preds, the Rangers are a legit playoff team. Now, don't get me wrong, when guys like Dubinsky, Callahan, Girardi, and Feds come back, the talent DOES go up, but the work ethic goes up twofold.
Im saying, It is hard to develop that kind of consistency and chemistry with regulars out of the line up, and call ups galore. I'm not saying this team doesn't deserve to be winning with the way that they work. Im saying with the players they have, and the way gabby is performing, they shouldn't be winning as much. Thats the whole point of the thread. Why are we winning and who are the main unsung heroes.

Old
01-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
I think that Stepan has been as big of a unsung hero as anyone. He has played in all the games, is second in scoring on our team, and the fact that no one here including me thought he would even make this team. My vote is Step!!
Yeah he has been awesome too, no one thought he'd be here, but he gets a hell of a lot of praise as well.

Old
01-24-2011, 02:03 PM
ruckus*

The ones that we could not have at all predicted coming into the year and the ones that have put us into this position IMO are...

1. Michael Sauer/Steve Eminger
2. Brian Boyle
3. Derek Stepan

Without them, this team is in pretty bad shape. They'd be outside the playoff picture fighting for 8th like some people thought before the season started.

The play of those guys has elevated us to a team that not only can win, but does on most nights.

We have the argument about making the playoffs every year and whether it's a pro or con if you think the team can't win...but this is a team that I believe can compete with ANYONE in a playoff series.

The Flyers would be the team that I'd give us the least chance against but I also think that a playoff series changes things immensely.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote