HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So is Pouliot still a bust??

Old
01-23-2011, 04:51 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

vCash: 500
he got better than last year. kid's on the way up IMO. dunno where he'll stop but no real complaints this year. he has sick hands!

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 04:55 PM
smon

Not a bust at all, it looks like he has the skills and ability to play in a top-nine role. At the very least, he can clearly be a 20 goal scorer over a full season, but to be honest that is not a huge accomplishment. For example, that would be akin to Matt D'Agostini, who we all knew could score sporadically (he's 10g-14a-24p with StL this yr) but lacked a complete game.

The real progression is still undergoing and that is developing into a complete player. That's probably why Martin flips out on him so much, he knows that Pouliot can be a lot better if he puts it all together. Either way, he's definitely not a bust in my definition of the word.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:18 PM
HomaridII

Considering that he has been playing with the likes of Darche, Moen, Halpern, etc.. all year long and that he has been getting almost NO time on the powerplay, I am not disappointed at all at his point totals.

His overall game is a LOT better, I know some people expect him to be a superstar but he is a good solid top 9 player with size right now who is still very young and could develop further.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Andros777

A disapointment for Minnesota for sure. But not for us.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Born in 1909
Vive la France!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommallionta View Post
Pouliot was never a bust. He may not be #4 overall worthy, but he's definitely at least early 2nd round worthy.
Agreed... Pouliot was never a bust

Surely Minny was disappointed, though... but hey, they got Lats

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:35 PM
De Montreal
help

I really hope he breaks the 20 goals barrier this season, and it is definitely possible: he is on pace for 17 goals (in 79 games) and with Cammalleri out for a good month, he will see more PP and top6 icetime.

His shot is carnage.

And anyone remember how hard was MAB shot last yr? 105-107 mpH?

Last edited by De Montreal: 01-23-2011 at 05:47 PM.
De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
He's always going to be a "bust" because of the position he got drafted in. You expect top 5 picks to become superstars.
You're dreaming. You may hope that a top 5 pick turns into a superstar but it's the exception rather than the rule. Otherwise, there'd be many more superstars in the NHL. Let's confine ourselves to the last 10 drafts, which had 50 top 5 picks overall. How many of those 50 were superstars? You should know by now that not every #1 is a superstar, and certainly not every #4. A few years ago there was a difference of opinion as to whether Stamkps or Tavares was better. We know now that Stamkos, but not Tavares, is a superstar.

Of course, the Habs didn't pick Pouliot as their #4, They got him in a trade for their own rather disappointing second rounder. Wasn't that a good deal?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 06:22 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
happier to have him instead of latenderness. Pouliot works harder and has more talent imo, some more seasoning, and he will continue to develop
Feel the same way, I hope he can move into a reliable 25 goal scorer who might top 30 a few times. Maybe I am hoping for to much but meh.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I don't think he is a bust.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2 View Post
Pretty simple question, would you consider him a bust?

At the beginning the season a lot of people were almost writing him out of the line up due to the way he finished the year last season. What are your thoughts on him so far? How would you compare him to the players drafted around him in 05?

I personally feel that he's doing quite well this season. considering he's playing 3rd line minutes, with 3rd line players he's putting up decent numbers. what i like most though is the way hes been playing as of late. when his confidence is there he can really make some nice plays.

Personally if i was drafting a player 4th overall, i would want more of a game changer... but if you look at the players selected after him in the top 10 he doesnt look so bad to me. He's also still young and will definitely improve!!
He's a good 3rd liner and fringe top 6 guy...not necessarily a complete bust(see Hugh Jessiman or Patrick Stefan) but definitely not worthy of the #4 pick in a deep draft.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 06:37 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

If you're judging as a 4th overall pick then Yes. If you're judging as the 45th then No.

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:26 PM
scottyG

To me a bust is a guy who was drafted high and projected to be an impact player, yet barley had an NHL career.

Pouliot may not be that 80-90 point player he was drafted to be but doesn't mean he won't be a solid 50-60 point player

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:31 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
I didn't really notice it, but do you mean like a left to right then pass the D with one hand on the stick on the backhand ?
yes

He is using that move more often and its working.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
I don't think he is a bust.
Hey, you're a Wild fan: What was your impression of Pouliot while he was there, and what was the general attitude of the fanbase toward him?

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
No way he's a bust...

He never gets PP time and plays with third liners. All his pts are on even strenght.

If you look at ES minutes played per pt, he leads the time while playing with defensive players.

When it comes to skill and natural talent, he's right there with Kostitsyn.

That's my opinion but if given the opportunity to play on the PP with Plekanec next year, he could be the Habs pts leader and will finally show us why he was drafted 4th overall.

Nicko999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
Hey, you're a Wild fan: What was your impression of Pouliot while he was there, and what was the general attitude of the fanbase toward him?
He never had the chance to have enough ice time and to prove something with us (He needed a brand new place). He was a 3rd-4th liner (mostly 4th liner). Now with the Habs, he has the full potential to become a very good player IMO.

Last edited by Fel 96: 01-23-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

He's not a bust. In Montreal, Pouliot is evolving into a complete player. He wont be the offensive dynamo that the wild thought they were getting, but he'll pitch in both sides of the rink.

Good job by the coaching staff. I thought Pouliot was a one dimensional player but there seems to be more to this guy.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
someone should show this stat to Martin.

Nicko999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:06 PM
neofury*

5 years from now I guarantee he'll be the type of player every team wants but only some have.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

I've always had a soft spot for Pouliot. A lot of people cite Redden losing his mother as a possible explanation for his downfall. Pouliot lost his father not too long before he was traded to the habs. When I lost my father at 19, it sent me spiraling. Simple things like getting through school or even up in the morning were infinitely more difficult. There's no way I could ever had competed at such a high level in anything after that for a while.

I always wondered if that's why Pouliot is slowly but surely progressing now. I know he was never really deemed worthy of his 4th overall draft status as he always struggled at the NHL level, but it's still something I have to assume set him back. At least for a while. Don't think I'll ever be able to hate on this guy.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:35 PM
LesHabsRock

It doesn't matter what position he was chosen at the draft. The Habs did not draft him. He was a bust from a Minnesota point of view. From a Habs point of view Pouliot was acquired via trade and, therefore, the "bust" or "no bust" label applies to the trade. So, no, Pouliot is far from a bust. He's a gem who is only getting better. With players going down due to injury Pouliot has been a gamebreaker at times when needed. His confidence and skills are growing before our eyes (especially over the last 10 games).

In addition to that, if you consider what we gave up for him thus far I would say he is doing more for the Habs than Latendresse was. Pouliot is healthy and Latendresse has only played 8 games this year. Many reasons why that trade is beginning to look great for us (and potentially for them, but more for us).

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Fatguy266

Considering he hasn't been playing regularly on the top lines (if at all this season), he still has been able to put up regular points which demonstrate he has performed from a statistics point of view. Maybe he hasn’t turned into a superstar a 4th pick you would normally equate too, he still is a top 6 player now I recken with still more room to develop into a big part of our team. Therefore he isn’t a bust IMO and quite far from being one.

Fatguy266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:15 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
It doesn't matter what position he was chosen at the draft. The Habs did not draft him. He was a bust from a Minnesota point of view.
I don´t even know if you can say that or not, they never gave him much of a chance or any time to prove himself. He was playing with the Boogy man for half of his career there for christ sakes.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
To me a bust is someone who was projected to be at least an impact NHLer and then went on to have no real NHL career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
To me a bust is a guy who was drafted high and projected to be an impact player, yet barley had an NHL career.
Great minds, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I've always had a soft spot for Pouliot. A lot of people cite Redden losing his mother as a possible explanation for his downfall. Pouliot lost his father not too long before he was traded to the habs. When I lost my father at 19, it sent me spiraling. Simple things like getting through school or even up in the morning were infinitely more difficult. There's no way I could ever had competed at such a high level in anything after that for a while.

I always wondered if that's why Pouliot is slowly but surely progressing now. I know he was never really deemed worthy of his 4th overall draft status as he always struggled at the NHL level, but it's still something I have to assume set him back. At least for a while. Don't think I'll ever be able to hate on this guy.
Yeah, I agree with that overall sentiment, and I made a similar post a month or so back in a Pouliot thread, which includes a link to a pretty good ESPN article about him:

Quote:
I remember scouting reports on Pouliot suggested that the death of his father (who had a hockey career and with whom he was very close) affected him really badly, and probably mostly contributed to his decline as a prospect. Might in large part explain why fans and analysts seemed to question his desire and motivation. Below is an interesting article on Pouliot (from 2005, I believe, though the it isn't dated for some reason):

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3745398

I think you have to recognize guys with that kind of baggage, and handle them more delicately. And Mario Tremblay doesn't strike me as the kind of coach who adapts his approach to different players.
Sorry to hear about your personal loss, btw.

Last edited by Jedrik: 01-24-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I don´t even know if you can say that or not, they never gave him much of a chance or any time to prove himself. He was playing with the Boogy man for half of his career there for christ sakes.
And they say Jacques Martin is bad with young players...

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote