HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chiarelli to Ottawa for a 2nd?

Old
01-24-2011, 12:52 PM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Chiarelli to Ottawa for a 2nd?

Please note, I'm not advocating this move. Just thought it would be interesting to speculate, seeing as how a job is open in Ottawa, and Chiarelli is from there and worked there. The B's gave up a 2nd to get PC, and while this 2nd would be much higher, clearly Chiarelli has done a lot to earn the higher compensation.

Why would Boston do this, pure, PURE speculation on my part, but if, IF he wasn't happy with the new management structure, he may want out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Chiarelli can't be happy that a guy he brought in (Neely), who IMO, doesn't know nearly as much about managing or coaching as the manager or coach he's overseeing, was made his boss. What's worse, he's gone on the radio and called out his coach, who Chiarelli then sided with (and by definition against the Prez) in the public kerfuffle.

Chiarelli has also gone on record as saying not to expect anything significant at the deadline. Now, I'm sure PC just feels that that's the right thing to do, but I wonder if he isn't feeling the same kind of heat that the fans and President are putting on him because he feels like... 'hey, if you don't believe in me or what I'm doing, fire me. My dream job has an opening and my resume speaks for itself.'

IMO, if this team doesn't add at the deadline, then they're not going to go further than they did last year. And if they don't go further than they did last year, the 'mob' will be calling for at least Julien's head. If PC won't fire him it's been speculated (by people like local radio host, Michael Felger) that "change" could be a package deal.
Thoughts? Would the Sens give up their 2nd for Peter Chiarelli?

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Please note, I'm not advocating this move. Just thought it would be interesting to speculate, seeing as how a job is open in Ottawa, and Chiarelli is from there and worked there. The B's gave up a 2nd to get PC, and while this 2nd would be much higher, clearly Chiarelli has done a lot to earn the higher compensation.

Why would Boston do this, pure, PURE speculation on my part, but if, IF he wasn't happy with the new management structure, he may want out...

Thoughts? Would the Sens give up their 2nd for Peter Chiarelli?
No. If he wants to join us though, he's an awesomely smart GM.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:55 PM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
IIRC the Bruins gave up a 3rd for PC, no?

Link to old thread

pedrospecialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrospecialk View Post
IIRC the Bruins gave up a 3rd for PC, no?

Link to old thread
I'd give up a 3rd in 2012, but not in 2011.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:57 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
In the new CBA you can't give up anything to get coaches/trainers/management. If you want a guy you have to get permission from the other team and would get him for nothing.

So I doubt this happens.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 01:01 PM
stanleyorbust

Well he just built a fantastic team in Boston by robbing the leafs and getting lucky with some acquisitions. Not sure if he could catch lightning in a bottle a second time.... Historically speaking... not many GM's who build Stanley cup teams go on to build another somewhere else.

stanleyorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 01:03 PM
alpine4life

Not interrested in giving up a 2nd for him, I 'd prefer to give nothing and give Neil Smith a try. Didnt this guy brought a Cup in NY for the 1st time in 54 yrs.

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Numbah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
Not interrested in giving up a 2nd for him, I 'd prefer to give nothing and give Neil Smith a try. Didnt this guy brought a Cup in NY for the 1st time in 54 yrs.

You're confusing Neil Smith with Mark Messier. Oh, he made the trade. But, any GM could have. And Keenan played a big part in that too. Craig Patrick drafted most of those NYR.

Numbah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 01:08 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
In the new CBA you can't give up anything to get coaches/trainers/management. If you want a guy you have to get permission from the other team and would get him for nothing.

So I doubt this happens.
i'm pretty sure this is the correct answer.

IIRC chia was one of the last staffers to move teams resulting in compensation.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 01:17 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyorbust View Post
Well he just built a fantastic team in Boston by robbing the leafs and getting lucky with some acquisitions. Not sure if he could catch lightning in a bottle a second time.... Historically speaking... not many GM's who build Stanley cup teams go on to build another somewhere else.
Really? all pure luck? I don't think Chiarelli is Ken Holland or anything, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to write off his entire tenure in Boston as pure luck. With the exception of the Bochenski for Versteeg move, I can't think of another trade that he's made that the Bruins got fleeced on.

-He turned Martin Karsums and Matt Lashoff into Marc Recchi and Alex Petrovic (the TB 2nd rounder).
-Hendricks (who is turning into a decent grinder fwiw) for Boychuk
-Steve Kampfer for a 4th

I think everyone is clinging to the Kessel trade as evidence that Chiarelli's tenure has been largely guided by luck, but it can't be farther from the truth. He's taken an organization that was practically at rock bottom and created a highly competitive NHL roster with a deep and promising pipeline of prospects. I have the same beef with people that claim that Schero is just lucky because he got Malkin and Crosby. These guys are highly educated individuals that have shown an ability to effectively identify and manage their assets. It's not blind luck.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbah4 View Post
You're confusing Neil Smith with Mark Messier. Oh, he made the trade. But, any GM could have. And Keenan played a big part in that too. Craig Patrick drafted most of those NYR.
Thats what I wanted to know, thx

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Dick Whitman

I'd love Chia back in Ottawa but unless he wants out of Boston, I can't see it happening.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote