Will the Flames make the playoffs?

Old
01-24-2011, 04:35 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOPula View Post
Why does nobody seem to want to make the playoffs, and watch our team play its best hockey.

It's not about not wanting to see the Flames in the playoffs, it's about wanting to see the Flames win in the playoffs. Just making the playoffs isn't good enough (at least IMO anyways).

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
It's not about not wanting to see the Flames in the playoffs, it's about wanting to see the Flames win in the playoffs. Just making the playoffs isn't good enough (at least IMO anyways).
I heard about your exgirlfriend... rumor has it you take when you can get

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 05:27 PM
bigchief12

Quote:
To state the blatantly obvious, before you can win in the playoffs, you gotta make the playoffs.

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 06:53 PM
natural420*

lets have some pride people. i will ALWAYS want the flames to win. right now with the darryl sutter fiasco, the phaneuf trade fail, jokinen coming back, iginla and kiprusoffs decline (all of those not my opinion at all) has made us the laughing stock of the league. really. besides the islanders were are everyones favorite team to laugh at. tanking would just fuel that fire. that part of it is a pride factor for me. iam sick of hearing how much the flames suck/wont make the playoffs. i want THIS team to prove them wrong. i know its a tough thought, but anythings possible......

......because really, we are only 5 points out, thats it. ya sure a pretty consistant winning percentage needs to happen, but it can happen. we have a much better chance of making the playoffs then ending up on the lottery. theres 4-6 teams that we couldnt finish below if we tried. and even then, its a weak draft, wheres the saviour all the tankers are pretending exists?? its not there guys. who cares about lottery picks. lets just hope the flames win as much as possible. if it dosent happen we have some assets to trade if need be, wont fetch us a lottery pick but the lottery is not the answer anyways

GO FLAMES GO!!!

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 08:57 PM
GoFlames

No. If they don't make the playoffs.... then tank to bottom two in the confernce, do a mini rebuild get more prospects and move on. The Sutter koolade of being competitive every year has worn off some time ago... This is manifested with the usual having one out of three picks in the top 90, an aging underperforming group of veterans who seem reluctant to workj to earn their money. But, for some reason they play well vs upper teams and get people overly optimistic only to **** the bed playing the ISlanders etc.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Grannys

The Flames will not make the playoffs. There are way too many teams in front of them, these teams are all super close with points and they would all have to slow down and the Flames would need to heat up. Plus that would only get them to 9th place, then a current playoff spot team would also have to slow down. Sorry it just wont happen.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:
I just don't see it.

The Flames just came off back to back wins against two of the top teams in the West. They definitely deserve credit for that, but we've seen this team beat good teams before so this is nothing new. We know they can do it. Just like when this team is moving their feet, we see that they can skate with just about anyone. So why are we in the position we're in? That would be because the Flames can't seem to do all those things on a consistant basis. For the Flames to make the playoffs, it's not just a matter of them playing well, but we have to count on all the teams ahead of them to **** the bed as well. I stand by my opinion that even if the Flames sneak in, this team isn't good enough to do any damage in the playoffs.

I'm so sick of seeing this team be too good to get a high draft pick but not good enough to get past the first round of the playoffs. Either be good or be terrible, but do one or the other consistantly. None of this halfway BS.

What this team needs now more than ever is young blue chip prospects.
I think it would benefit us to get a high draft pick this year than make the playoffs. Of course, I also know that Brent Sutter's job is to get wins, not put us in a good position to draft.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't think that they will make the playoffs, but if they do it will be just another first round exit.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Columbus and St.Louis are 1 point behind Calgary with 2 games in hand. LA and San Jose, 2 clearly superior teams have one game in hand and are 1 and 3 points ahead, respectively. Minnesota is also 1 point ahead but has 2 games in hand. That is just the other teams fighting for a spot. In order for Calgary to make it they have to play with a winning record equivalent to detroit, or every team in front of them will have to have a winning record equivalent to edmonton. There is no way Calgary is making the playoffs.

However, i wish they would. Listen, it doesnt matter if they make the playoffs this year. Calgary is in worse shape than arguably any other franchise. This team could very easily be the next Leafs, with a decade of being awful. Might as well make the playoffs this year and have something to be happy about.

Ps Feaster is a moron.

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:15 AM
CPRSRPUNKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
The Flames will not make the playoffs. There are way too many teams in front of them, these teams are all super close with points and they would all have to slow down and the Flames would need to heat up. Plus that would only get them to 9th place, then a current playoff spot team would also have to slow down. Sorry it just wont happen.
Back with the "Kamikaze Optimism". We made up more ground tonight. With the exception of San Jose who just broke out of a slump, the other teams have slowed down. This is our time to strike. If we can't, then too bad. Like Obama said though, "Yes we can!"

CPRSRPUNKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:16 AM
CPRSRPUNKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonsApple View Post
Columbus and St.Louis are 1 point behind Calgary with 2 games in hand. LA and San Jose, 2 clearly superior teams have one game in hand and are 1 and 3 points ahead, respectively. Minnesota is also 1 point ahead but has 2 games in hand. That is just the other teams fighting for a spot. In order for Calgary to make it they have to play with a winning record equivalent to detroit, or every team in front of them will have to have a winning record equivalent to edmonton. There is no way Calgary is making the playoffs.

However, i wish they would. Listen, it doesnt matter if they make the playoffs this year. Calgary is in worse shape than arguably any other franchise. This team could very easily be the next Leafs, with a decade of being awful. Might as well make the playoffs this year and have something to be happy about.

Ps Feaster is a moron.
Yes, 7-3-3 sucks

Old
01-25-2011, 01:27 AM
bigchief12

Quote:

Ps Feaster is a moron.

They will be clearly superior teams if they finish ahead at the end of the season. Calgary is four points behind 8th spot and there are 32 games remaining to be played, it's a little early to be calling the time of death don't you think?

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:57 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchief12 View Post
They will be clearly superior teams if they finish ahead at the end of the season. Calgary is four points behind 8th spot and there are 32 games remaining to be played, it's a little early to be calling the time of death don't you think?
Hey, im not happy about the future. Id love to see them make the playoffs, just for something to be happy about. With all the games in hand by teams like San Jose and Los Angeles, who are fighting for the same spot as Calgary, i think its pretty safe to call it now.

And ps, I say Feaster is a moron because he has said he is planning on doing the Toronto esque retooling around and existing aging core with a bare prospect cupboard. However, he cannot be worse than Sutter. And is likely better than a lot of other Gm's *cough* Snow *cough*

Old
01-25-2011, 02:21 AM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Hey, im not happy about the future. Id love to see them make the playoffs, just for something to be happy about. With all the games in hand by teams like San Jose and Los Angeles, who are fighting for the same spot as Calgary, i think its pretty safe to call it now.
So we just quit because LA and SJ are fighting for playoffs to and you think their better. Thats something I would like to see announced by Feaster, "Attention fans since LA and SJ are in the hunt for playoffs to Calgary will be giving up and rebuilding as they have better teams then us." What makes you think those teams will make before Calgary, they are fighting for playoffs as they have under achieved also. Those teams don't have anything that separated themselves from the Flames.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:27 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
So we just quit because LA and SJ are fighting for playoffs to and you think their better. Thats something I would like to see announced by Feaster, "Attention fans since LA and SJ are in the hunt for playoffs to Calgary will be giving up and rebuilding as they have better teams then us." What makes you think those teams will make before Calgary, they are fighting for playoffs as they have under achieved also. Those teams don't have anything that separated themselves from the Flames.
Of course not. Fight all the way. Tooth and nail. What im talking about is fan expectations. Its in my opinion, rather safe as a fan to now put aside playoff hopes to avoid disappointment. Or at least get a head start on dealing with it.

Why will they make it? Because those teams are better, and have games in hand. If not those 2 teams, how about the other 4 who also have games in hand (and are arguably better)?

If Calgary wants to make it they need to play like detroit, while hoping 6 other teams play like edmonton. Its just not happening.

Old
01-25-2011, 02:37 AM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Hey i don't have big hopes either but its not as impossible as you make it sound. So what if teams have a game or two in hand they still have to win them. And those two games are just a fraction of the 32 or so games that still need to be played.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:52 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Hey i don't have big hopes either but its not as impossible as you make it sound. So what if teams have a game or two in hand they still have to win them. And those two games are just a fraction of the 32 or so games that still need to be played.
Its possible Calgary can go 22-6-4. That will give them 100 points. Which is around what they will need to get in. Give or take a point. But thats not very realistic.

The only other scenario is if 6 teams, all of which have games in hand and are arguably superior, play between 2-5 games below .500 the rest of the season. In which case the flames will still need to play with winning percentage equivalent to Anaheim.

Its safe to call the season over now. Silver lining though is Flames should be getting a top 10-15 draft pick. Hopefully find a new Gm in the offseason. I like Lunatik's idea of going after Creepy Pierre. Those 2 things (one of which is more unlikely than the other) would make me have a lot more faith in this teams future. Right now, i have none.

Last edited by Nachoman AlfieSavage*: 01-25-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old
01-25-2011, 04:03 AM
Kaptah

How can a person who wants his team to miss the playoffs consider himself a fan? Don't you have any pride? I think wanting your team to tank is unsportsmanlike and shows a definite lack of character.

Kaptah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 04:44 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptah View Post
How can a person who wants his team to miss the playoffs consider himself a fan? Don't you have any pride? I think wanting your team to tank is unsportsmanlike and shows a definite lack of character.
My first post in this thread i made sure to state i want them to make the playoffs. I want something to cheer about. I then went on to say all logic would dictate it being more than highly improbable

Old
01-25-2011, 05:44 AM
CPRSRPUNKS

Quote:
My first post in this thread i made sure to state i want them to make the playoffs. I want something to cheer about. I then went on to say all logic would dictate it being more than highly improbable
You did say you want them yo make the playoffs yes. You did not go on to say that all logic would dictate it being more than highly improbable. You said, "There is no way Calgary is making the playoffs". With over 30 games left, anything can happen. We could/can still go on a major tear and get the wins we need.

Someone on CP started a thread about Feaster lifting the spirits of the team. I think he has. The culture of the club has changed from a loser attitude to that of a team that is finally showing why Darryl assembled them in the first place. You have to admit that they are on fire right now. If they keep it up they could even surpass 8th spot and possibly even gain home ice advantage. I know that's not likely, but it's just as likely as what you are saying and as a flames fan, this is the optimism that you should be looking at the team you "support" with.

My dog has three legs(front right is gone). He just had surgery on the other one. Should i shoot him in the face? The answer is no. Support your team til the last day of regular season(and hopefully playoffs). Changes can, and should be made in the offseason. We're not desperate to unload and tank now, so why would we? Trust me, Feaster is not a moron and this is exactly what you'll see him do.

Old
01-25-2011, 06:47 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRSRPUNKS View Post
You did say you want them yo make the playoffs yes. You did not go on to say that all logic would dictate it being more than highly improbable. You said, "There is no way Calgary is making the playoffs". With over 30 games left, anything can happen. We could/can still go on a major tear and get the wins we need.

Someone on CP started a thread about Feaster lifting the spirits of the team. I think he has. The culture of the club has changed from a loser attitude to that of a team that is finally showing why Darryl assembled them in the first place. You have to admit that they are on fire right now. If they keep it up they could even surpass 8th spot and possibly even gain home ice advantage. I know that's not likely, but it's just as likely as what you are saying and as a flames fan, this is the optimism that you should be looking at the team you "support" with.

My dog has three legs(front right is gone). He just had surgery on the other one. Should i shoot him in the face? The answer is no. Support your team til the last day of regular season(and hopefully playoffs). Changes can, and should be made in the offseason. We're not desperate to unload and tank now, so why would we? Trust me, Feaster is not a moron and this is exactly what you'll see him do.

Personally, i dont think Feaster has much to do with it. I truly believe that many of the Flames players had absolutely no faith in Darryl Sutter, and had a hard time getting up to play for him. Now that he's gone, that so called "dark cloud" has lifted. But beneath the once grey skies still lies a below average hockey team.

22-6-4. Give or take a win. Thats the record Calgary needs to have to just make the playoffs. Let alone getting home ice (which is just a silly idea). Sure, you can wish hope and dream for that to come about, but looking up and down that roster i fail to see how it happens.

And yes, i would shoot the dog.

edit: My advice for Brent, start playing the trap. A Lemaire type trap game. Using Calgarys greatest strength, its defence. Hopefully have a lot of games go to overtime. Get as many points as possible. On top of this, that system should boost kippers stats. As his value is at an all time low, so on top of banking points you are propping up his value to be moved by next trade deadline. Still incredibly unlikely, but i dont see any other way. 18-4-10 seems a lot more realistic than 22-6-4. Not by much though.......... and its still probably a point or two short of making it......

Last edited by Nachoman AlfieSavage*: 01-25-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old
01-25-2011, 06:53 AM
CPRSRPUNKS

Quote:
Personally, i dont think Feaster has much to do with it. I truly believe that many of the Flames players had absolutely no faith in Darryl Sutter, and had a hard time getting up to play for him. Now that he's gone, that so called "dark cloud" has lifted. But beneath the once grey skies still lies a below average hockey team.

22-6-4. Give or take a win. Thats the record Calgary needs to have to just make the playoffs. Let alone getting home ice (which is just a silly idea). Sure, you can wish hope and dream for that to come about, but looking up and down that roster i fail to see how it happens.

And yes, i would shoot the dog.
Well, if you would shoot my dog for being a little weak right now, that totally sums you up as a human being. Cheer for another team. If I ever meet you, I will tell my dog to bite you.

Old
01-25-2011, 06:59 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRSRPUNKS View Post
Well, if you would shoot my dog for being a little weak right now, that totally sums you up as a human being. Cheer for another team. If I ever meet you, I will tell my dog to bite you.
Just because a person thinks differently, does not make you right. In fact, to presume that one is wrong because they think differently is quite arrogant.

My mentality, is that what you are doing to your dog is cruel. Forcing him to live in discomfort and pain because you want a companion. In my mind, its selfish, and cruel. Shooting him in the head would be the right thing to do.

Just different perspectives. Wait, werent we talking about hockey?

edit: Ps im pretty sure i can outrun stumpy.

Last edited by Nachoman AlfieSavage*: 01-25-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old
01-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Of course not. Fight all the way. Tooth and nail. What im talking about is fan expectations. Its in my opinion, rather safe as a fan to now put aside playoff hopes to avoid disappointment. Or at least get a head start on dealing with it.
You're being one of those lame *******s who will keep spouting the end and all that so you can say "I told you so" when it happens, but if they make the playoffs you'll say something like "wow, I've never been so happy to be wrong" aren't you? I hate those people.

Quote:
Why will they make it? Because those teams are better, and have games in hand. If not those 2 teams, how about the other 4 who also have games in hand (and are arguably better)?

If Calgary wants to make it they need to play like detroit, while hoping 6 other teams play like edmonton. Its just not happening.
Why would they need that? Other teams playing like Edmonton will certainly make it easier, but a 6-4 ten game stretch by Calgary with some 4-6 stretches from other teams is enough to eliminate games in hand and put Calgary ahead. While that requires help, its not as difficult as you make it out to be. This team gave up more points to fall out of the playoffs last year than its required to gain to make it in right now this year.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:43 AM
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Just because a person thinks differently, does not make you right. In fact, to presume that one is wrong because they think differently is quite arrogant.

My mentality, is that what you are doing to your dog is cruel. Forcing him to live in discomfort and pain because you want a companion. In my mind, its selfish, and cruel. Shooting him in the head would be the right thing to do.

Just different perspectives. Wait, werent we talking about hockey?

edit: Ps im pretty sure i can outrun stumpy.
i had a friend whos dog lost his leg, he was told the best thing to do what shoot him, but he didnt, after he healed up he was as happy as ever, went on to live for quite some time.. and have you ever seen a 3-legged dog run, still pretty fast
but back to the flames, i said it before the season and ill say it again, this roster isn't close to as bad as ppl make it out to be (its actually gotten better with tko and babchuk) i honestly thought/think this lineup can make it to the PO

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:49 AM
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

vCash: 50
anything can happen. look at last season, the flames have heated up around the same time they **** the bed last yr, and with them actually scoring, all we need is the d to step up some more and kipper to play alright and we could be a good well-rounded team. it most definatly can happen and thats what i want as a die-hard fan. **** tanking. fight for it. dont want none of that ***** tanking **** that our ball-less neighbors have been doing,

GO FLAMES

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote