HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Murray & Melnyk interviews on Team 1200, Jan 24 (link to audio files in OP)

Old
01-24-2011, 09:08 PM
trobby

vCash: 500
Sanity talk...music too my ears.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:10 PM
JustinYS

Let's not forget that Murray said he will be making room for 3-4 rookies. Training camp will be like a battle to the death (okay maybe not lol) for those open spots. That's the way it should be. Competition will wield the best results and will show who wants it more. Possibly 2 on D and two forwards.

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
I don't think Murray has ever proclaimed Cowen to be NHL ready, and Gryba is a healthy scratch many nights down in Binghamton.

For the D, I think we're looking at:

Gonchar-Karlsson
Kuba-Campoli
Carkner/Lee-Rundblad
Carkner/Lee

Cowen should start off in Binghamton and if he impresses, then bring him up. I'm just a lot higher on Rundblad given his excellent performance in a professional league on the same team as Adam Larsson.

Upfront is a bit of a crap-shoot, because a lot of that will depend on how we fare on July 1st and beyond.
Yes he has. And Gryba isn't being scratched a lot nowadays...Murray said he's one of the more improved prospects in his first pro season, so being scratched less lately would be indicative of that. Gryba isn't expected to make the team out of camp...but it appears like he's close and could be the first call up next year. Cowen is expected to move in...

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:14 PM
wilfred

Ottawa's should not be win next year it should be to be younger faster compete hard and get experience. I expect us to look like th Oilers, young fun to watch but don't know how to win yet.

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
Ottawa's should not be win next year it should be to be younger faster compete hard and get experience. I expect us to look like th Oilers, young fun to watch but don't know how to win yet.
I dont care how you slice it, our team's best players will not be an 18 and 20 year old. We have a #1 C, they don't, we have a captain that's been places....they don't. We will not reach the depths of "rebuild" that the Oilers have, it is very unlikely.

We won't know anything until the deadline really. If we unload Kuba and Gonchar, yes I think by sometime next year our D group could be an improvement with Rundblad and Cowen filling those voids. IF we get stuck with both of those guys next year well...we could be hurting if we have to subtract Phillips and Lee/Campoli or something.

Butler's speed and energy > Kovalev's lack of heart? Quite possibly.
Smith? Silfverberg?

Even if Spez, Fisher, Phillips all stay these kids could develop well and be the jolt of youth we need. Some of them will play roles and some of them will develop into higher end players but there are quite a few of them looking for jobs by next year and onward and the value is that they will be CHEAP, motivated, and developing. All it takes is for one of them to mesh with Spezza.

We're not as bad as people think. But we like I said, we won't really have a good idea until we see what options we are able to trigger on by the deadline. I expect we'd like to try and find markets for players like Kovalev, Ruutu, Kuba, Gonchar, Campoli before we look at Phillips and Fisher...but with that early group not having much value...we may be forced to trade a couple guys that do.

Old
01-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Gesus
Let's win it all

I can't argue with what was said today, I just hope they put their money where their mouth is and don't just switch out 1 or 2 players and call it a day. Goaltending needs to be fixed first and foremost, this starts with letting Leclaire walk without even a passing thought of offering him another contract.

Gesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Last time I checked you actually need your first round picks to call it a rebuild.
You don't need them to call it a rebuild, though in practice it might help.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:34 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Yes he has. And Gryba isn't being scratched a lot nowadays...Murray said he's one of the more improved prospects in his first pro season, so being scratched less lately would be indicative of that. Gryba isn't expected to make the team out of camp...but it appears like he's close and could be the first call up next year. Cowen is expected to move in...
We'll see whose spot he takes then. Kuba and Gonchar are virtually immovable, that's for sure.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
We'll see whose spot he takes then. Kuba and Gonchar are virtually immovable, that's for sure.
If they can't move either of those two then they will very likely move Phillips. And Campoli may be moved...and Lee. Endless possibilities for movement on D but he made it clear that he needs to make room for 3-4 young players and Cowen and Rundblad are at the forefront of that.

Old
01-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Holdurbreathe

Both Kuba and Gonchar are movable, almost any player is, it is just a question of return.

Old
01-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

I'll be excited to watch Cowen, Rundblad and Silfverberg at camp next year. I think all three of those will be playing in the NHL next year with the Sens.

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Both Kuba and Gonchar are movable, almost any player is, it is just a question of return.
There's a lot of teams out there that would have 0 interest in Kuba if he came for free, just based on what their scouts have reported lately. The guy is one of the key culprits in making what is quite possibly the worst team in hockey right now, what it is.

At 5.5 I'm not sure how much easier Gonchar would be.

You can't be certain either are moveable....even for a 6th round pick. Gotta think something can be done..but there's reasons to think maybe not.

Old
01-24-2011, 11:05 PM
source

Quote:
If they can't move either of those two then they will very likely move Phillips. And Campoli may be moved...and Lee. Endless possibilities for movement on D but he made it clear that he needs to make room for 3-4 young players and Cowen and Rundblad are at the forefront of that.
Some people think Jared Cowen is the next Shea Weber, but I liken him more to Hal Gill. Gill didn't make the league until he was 22, and Weber spent most of his first year in the pros down in the AHL when he was the same age as Cowen will be next season.

We'll see what Cowen turns into, but all I'm saying is don't expect great things right away.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Some people think Jared Cowen is the next Shea Weber, but I liken him more to Hal Gill. Gill didn't make the league until he was 22, and Weber spent most of his first year in the pros down in the AHL when he was the same age as Cowen will be next season.

We'll see what Cowen turns into, but all I'm saying is don't expect great things right away.
Don't put words into my mouth.

What makes him closer to Hal Gill? Hal Gill was a big kid at 18-19 but never combined it enough with mobility to play in the WJC and move with the top prospects (mostly smaller, faster, more agile) in the game. Let alone become the key match up defensemen, like Cowen did.

If your a stats guy (I'm not), Cowen's 19 year old season in the WHL and his current weight/height mirrors Shea Weber's. I'm not saying he'll be Shea Weber...but at 19 no one said Shea Weber was going to be Shea Weber. Hal Gill's 19 year old season? 1 goal 3 assists for 4 points in 26 games in the NCAA. Cowen was also placed on Canada's 2nd unit PP this year.

Out of Cowen I want a guy that can be a size presence that can play with Karlsson and make up for anything Karlsson lacks (size). Don't need a PP guy but he just might have that developmental capacity in him, we don't know. But I do expect he will be a good penalty killer and tough to play around as he has long range.

What I do expect, is that he will play in the NHL at 20.

Old
01-24-2011, 11:24 PM
L'Aveuglette

vCash: 1000
I just hope Murray is gone by the end of this season. It would be a travesty to keep the man on board after 3 years of such immense disappointment. He just can't be trusted to clean up his own mess(no Depends jokes please).

Boy do I ever wish Yzerman and boucher were still looking for jobs.

L'Aveuglette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
I just hope Murray is gone by the end of this season. It would be a travesty to keep the man on board after 3 years of such immense disappointment. He just can't be trusted to clean up his own mess(no Depends jokes please).

Well, Muckler made the mess, Murray couldn't clean it up. Most clean-up jobs should be done with rebuilding plans now...not with an owner encouraging you to spend to the cap on overaged FAs to salvage a playoff team.

Old
01-24-2011, 11:37 PM
L'Aveuglette

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Well, Muckler made the mess, Murray couldn't clean it up. Most clean-up jobs should be done with rebuilding plans now...not with an owner encouraging you to spend to the cap on overaged FAs to salvage a playoff team.
Can't say I disagree. But it's a failure nonetheless. NEXT.

L'Aveuglette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Can't say I disagree. But it's a failure nonetheless. NEXT.
Don't think anyone is questioning it is a mess, however it is debatable who caused the mess.

Old
01-24-2011, 11:45 PM
PKC*

Quote:

I'm always surprised to see how quick people are to crap on the guy...and yet here we are heading in to a potential rebuilding/re-tooling phase with one of the great drafting GMs in the history of the team and people can't wait to see him go.

And people continue to fault him for everything as if no other GM has ever had trades not work at.

Like what a lose/lose situation for the guy to be in. People criticize his trade deadline deals and yet if he'd sat pat and did nothing people would have *****ed and moaned to that effect.

People criticize his free agent signings and yet if he hadn't tried to improve the team without giving up assets people would have been furious that he hadn't done anything to address certain shortcomings.

How can the guy ever meet expectations when the expectations would have him perform a miracle and get two opposite results out of the same situation?

People on this forum need to get real about being an NHL GM...things aren't as rosy or as simple as saying "do it"...

You wanna know why people are wrong when they criticize him so much? Just ask the guy who signs his paycheque and hasn't fired him yet if you want the answer.

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
I'm always surprised to see how quick people are to crap on the guy...and yet here we are heading in to a potential rebuilding/re-tooling phase with one of the great drafting GMs in the history of the team and people can't wait to see him go.

And people continue to fault him for everything as if no other GM has ever had trades not work at.

Like what a lose/lose situation for the guy to be in. People criticize his trade deadline deals and yet if he'd sat pat and did nothing people would have *****ed and moaned to that effect.

People criticize his free agent signings and yet if he hadn't tried to improve the team without giving up assets people would have been furious that he hadn't done anything to address certain shortcomings.

How can the guy ever meet expectations when the expectations would have him perform a miracle and get two opposite results out of the same situation?

People on this forum need to get real about being an NHL GM...things aren't as rosy or as simple as saying "do it"...
You wanna know why people are wrong when they criticize him so much? Just ask the guy who signs his paycheque and hasn't fired him yet if you want the answer.
What are you suggesting, being an NHL GM isn't as easy as what people on these boards suggest????

I do think you are onto something, won't surprise me at all if Melnyk resigns Murray.

After the conference calls today, wonder where that idiot Roy MacGregor from the Globe and Mail is hiding.

Old
01-25-2011, 01:15 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

That's not comforting words from Melnyk. If you do a rebuilding halfway, you end up being the Leafs. They stripped the team bare then added veterans instead of going for youth and they now suck with no end in sight.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:50 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Oh, wonder if Lidstrom or Hossa knew they don't fit the age demographic to win??
Read the entire post please. If he was as good as Hossa or Lidstrom this team wouldnt be in this poor of a situation.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:21 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
What did Muckler have to do with any of the terrible moves Murray has made in the last 4 years?

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
That's not comforting words from Melnyk. If you do a rebuilding halfway, you end up being the Leafs. They stripped the team bare then added veterans instead of going for youth and they now suck with no end in sight.
Except The Sens still do have a lot of nice players that are still young, along with all their draft pics and they have yet to trade any of their past draft picks, good or bad.

That's the difference between what The Sens are doing and what ever it is The Leafs are doing, have done, or will do. Does Ottawa have a few short term headaches? Oh ya, for sure. Kovalev, Leclaire, Kuba, those 3 won't be back next year. A guy like Rutuu is gone for sure as well. Shannon and Campoli? Maybe back, maybe not. All those guys are not locked up to insane terms and Ottawa is in a good position going forward with youth and cap space.

There will be spots open on basically every line next year, 1 to 4, on 2 of the 3 D pairings, and I would say Ottawa will go out and sign a goaltender even if it is over paying for one just a little.

Like others have said, a goaltender who brings a certain amount of consistancy is what will be needed. Vokoun is obviously the guy Ottawa should be going after because if a young team has a guy who can cover up some big mistakes, then the rebuilding process is that much easier. I think everyone agrees that a consistancy in the nets would make a world of difference in Ottawa. That's not to say Elliott can't still be the backup in Ottawa and find his game again, but they need a proven regular season goaltender that can make a bad team decent or a decent team good. No one is expecting miracles next year but with a new coach and system, consistancy in nets, and a new energy and young group in the locker room, there is no reason why Ottawa can't push for a playoff spot. They may not get it but at least it will be excitting.

It's just as excitting for a young and hard working team that is being built chasing the 8th spot than a Cup contender chasing 1st spot. As long as they do it right this year who knows what the future brings. But The Sens are not The Leafs.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 07:31 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
What did Muckler have to do with any of the terrible moves Murray has made in the last 4 years?
I'll answer your question with another question.

How did you get off my ignore list?